Can someone explain how Mission Control incorporates the functionality of Spaces?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
It doesn't appear to have any of the funionality of spaces at all. What am I missing here? The idea of spaces is to have several virtual monitors inside of one monitor. I don't see how mission control does this.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pik80 View Post

It doesn't appear to have any of the funionality of spaces at all. What am I missing here? The idea of spaces is to have several virtual monitors inside of one monitor. I don't see how mission control does this.

Mission Control does a lot, but it will most of all confuse people.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    Quote:

The reality is that it's highly uncommon for people to group windowed apps side-by-side especially in multiple spaces and consciously choose to manage these. What tends to happen is that you get one spare monitor and dump all the small apps on it and full-screen the main apps.

By introducing full-screen apps there's no need to manage those manually in Spaces.

What might have been cool is being able to group full-screen apps in tabs in a single screen but that only works in a full-screen only environment.

They've obviously tested this out in everyday use and found that it works better for them. I like the concept of unifying features and it would be good to see this applied to more things in OS X.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    pik80pik80 Posts: 148member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The reality is that it's highly uncommon for people to group windowed apps side-by-side especially in multiple spaces and consciously choose to manage these. What tends to happen is that you get one spare monitor and dump all the small apps on it and full-screen the main apps.

By introducing full-screen apps there's no need to manage those manually in Spaces.

What might have been cool is being able to group full-screen apps in tabs in a single screen but that only works in a full-screen only environment.

They've obviously tested this out in everyday use and found that it works better for them. I like the concept of unifying features and it would be good to see this applied to more things in OS X.

I have found that spaces fixes a big problem with the number of windows one can have open at a given time. I can easily have 30-40 windows open and when I switch to expose it is extremely difficult to find what I am looking for through the mess of windows. When I can divvy the windows up among 4 different screens it doesn't get to overwhelming.

I don't believe that Mission Control is an outright replacement for spaces because I still have to look at that 30-40 windows all on the same screen. Grouping expose by application helps but it doesn't completely solve the problem. I noticed that when they did the demonstration of Mission Control they only had 7 apps open but I find it common to have around 20-25 apps open at any given time. As Macs keep coming with more ram installed that number will only keep rising over time. Spaces seems to be the perfect solution to keep this under control. Since people are not being forced to use spaces what is the point of taking it out? If someone doesn't like it then they don't have to use it.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:

I can easily have 30-40 windows open and when I switch to expose it is extremely difficult to find what I am looking for through the mess of windows. When I can divvy the windows up among 4 different screens it doesn't get to overwhelming.

That's probably why they added per-application Exposé where click-holding on an app Dock icon shows the windows in just that application.

Quote:

I find it common to have around 20-25 apps open at any given time. As Macs keep coming with more ram installed that number will only keep rising over time.

If the new Dock does indeed work by having closed apps in the Launchpad and open ones in the Dock, it will certainly be interesting to see the behaviour that promotes. I suspect it will encourage people to leave more and more apps open all the time.

In many ways, this is a good thing because it will greatly reduce perceived slowness but it will have the side-effect of cluttering up Exposé. If they can expand the application windows on hovering over them, it might help and would be faster than jumping to a Space and then hitting Exposé as you might even jump to the wrong space at which point you've lost the window you want. Centralising it prevents this entirely.

Quote:

Since people are not being forced to use spaces what is the point of taking it out? If someone doesn't like it then they don't have to use it.

The Exposé/Spaces system preference is not an easy thing to grasp if you don't know what it's meant for. Mission Control can be used easily by anyone and only needs one keyboard key.

They could leave it in there but Apple don't tend to leave lots of options for people to use. They try to build better workflows and then guide everyone into them.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

That's probably why they added per-application Exposé where click-holding on an app Dock icon shows the windows in just that application.

That's right, I forgot about that feature. I can't run Snow Leopard so I haven't tried incorporating that into my work flow.

Quote:

They could leave it in there but Apple don't tend to leave lots of options for people to use. They try to build better workflows and then guide everyone into them.

There is getting to be lot of things I wish they hadn't taken out. "One window mode", the expanding sidebar icons from the Finder, tabs on top from Safari. These ideas are out standing. Some of the them may need some fine tuning but the general ideas are really good.

The other thing I don't get about Mission Control is 1. why the the full screen apps need to have there own separate little area and 2. How do you open multiple documents from full apps. For an example what if you have two preview documents open and preview is in full screen mode. From the looks of it Mission Control will only show you one of those preview documents.

Going back to Spaces I guess the one advantage that Spaces has over Mission Control is that you can group like applications together. I have one space for graphics programs, one for utility programs, one for internet programs like a browser, email, twitter.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Mission Control does a lot, but it will most of all confuse people.

There will probably be some way to indicate how you swipe between the different areas. Lion is still a year away and they have been known to make a lot of interface adjustments before shipping the product.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

There will probably be some way to indicate how you swipe between the different areas. Lion is still a year away and they have been known to make a lot of interface adjustments before shipping the product.

There was nothing wrong with Exposé, it was great. Now it's a mess. They could have spend all that energy making a better dock.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Quote:

There was nothing wrong with Exposé, it was great. Now it's a mess. They could have spend all that energy making a better dock.

Well the problem with it to me is that when you would expose all your windows it was difficult to find what you were looking for because they were not organized by app (or it would also show you windows from the currently open app.) You can hold down on each application icon but it's nice to not have to go through and click on each icon in the dock.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

why the the full screen apps need to have there own separate little area

I would guess it's because they don't need to be arranged according to their dimensions whereas Exposé windows do. If Fullscreen apps went through the same algorithm, they'd be the biggest panels and wouldn't use the space effectively. Dashboard, Desktop and fullscreen apps all have the same size and the most effective use of space is in a row at the top.

You also don't need to see the preview as much as the others.

Quote:

How do you open multiple documents from full apps. For an example what if you have two preview documents open and preview is in full screen mode. From the looks of it Mission Control will only show you one of those preview documents.

It will really depend on how the fullscreen mode behaves. If an app has windows and fullscreen at the same time, it can go at the bottom in a window stack. If it's just fullscreen, it goes at the top.

Quote:

Going back to Spaces I guess the one advantage that Spaces has over Mission Control is that you can group like applications together. I have one space for graphics programs, one for utility programs, one for internet programs like a browser, email, twitter.

It is definitely useful for grouping windows together, I wonder if they are trying to encourage developers into making apps entirely contained. I noticed the CS Suite has gone all tabs to avoid multiple windows. The iapps are mostly single window. Motion is too. Final Cut Pro isn't though but IMO it should be. Shake has a good way of handling this as you have one window by default but you just create viewer windows if you need one panel to be larger.

Even the Finder can have a single panel and either be tabbed or have two panels like Transmit. Both would be quite neat but might complicate things though you could hide tabs by default.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

In all fairness, "now" it's not anything at all beyond a very brief demo of a no doubt to be further refined feature in a yet to be released OS. You may not like what you saw in the demo, but it remains to be seen what actually using the released feature feels like.

Myself, I like the idea of bringing some OS X's disparate window management tools into a unified environment. Among various Dock behaviors, Expose, and Spaces, there are too many ways to try and wrangle multiple open windows (not to mention the somewhat orphaned Dashboard). I use Expose all the time but never Spaces, and from what I can see the main change to Expose will be to group app windows, which is fine by me. I also like the inclusion of application icons to identify windows while in Expose view. I can also see toggling among full screen apps as doing the only thing I'd use Spaces for, but with less confusion (since you currently have to try and remember where everything is).
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I can also see toggling among full screen apps as doing the only thing I'd use Spaces for, but with less confusion (since you currently have to try and remember where everything is).

Ideally spaces should let you name your space so that you wouldn't have to remember what where it is. If you look at the spaces drop down menu there is a big empty space after the space number. That area would be an ideal place to put a name for your space. Unfortunately Apple decided to not advance spaces in Snow Leopard and get rid of it's short comings.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

I noticed the CS Suite has gone all tabs to avoid multiple windows.

That's another thing I don't get about expose, why can't it split tabbed windows apart? There are getting to be so many applications that are using tabs these days that expose doesn't really work anymore due to the fact that tabs won't show up.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Unlike many other games where you can learn technical skills from an NPC and begin to progress over time, you will be thrown directly intoAion Leveling the responsibility for the provision of your other adventurers withAion Gold Final Fantasy Gil items they request. Information is a bit sketchy on some classes, but in the meantime let us look at each of these professions more in depth, which it wasWOW Gold obtained. First we have the faithful blacksmith. A craftsman with steel and an anvil, these craftsmen are in high demand. This class is primarily creates metal weapons likeBuy WOW Gold swords and spears, as well as tools for the mining and extraction are needed.