Apple deprecates its release of Java for Mac OS X

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve's son View Post

Uh, if Oracle doesn't release updates I will be very disappointed. I rely on Java for many daily processes, this could result in me purchasing a PC or using a virtualization application to port windows on my Macs.

For instance, Runescape - MMORPG - The No.1 Free Online Multiplayer Game runs through java, has over five million monthly 'paying' subscribers uses Java. Lets say 20% of Runescape's users use Mac ? what will they all do when Runescape decides to stay up with the latest Java, rather continue support for old editions? Hmm... This really worries me.

Oh, imagine the horror! One million geek losers not being able to play their favorite MMORPG...

Joke aside, Java is much needed on the Mac, mostly for developers. But since Java-Cocoa bridge has been deprecated long ago, a pure Java/Swing port is mostly trivial to OS X.

Actually, it has already been done, from the OpenJDK project, IIRC.

Futhermore, Oracle's Java is not all the rage anymore, IBM took some initiatives of its' own. We might see some nice competition in the JRE/JDK area at last..
  • Reply 22 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xtianstone View Post

I was very happy when Apple initially supported Java for the mac. After about 2006 the features provided by Apple started to lag behind Java... first by about 6 months, then a year, and with this last release it was clear Java was no longer a priority at Apple.

In case you haven't been following the whole scene, Java wasn't even a priority at SUN by that time...

Now, with Oracle, god only knows... Where's a Java 7 already --and competitive with .NET?
  • Reply 23 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

This means no Mathematica, no Maple, no MATLAB and a lot of online games etc for Mac OS X. This also means the most popular development language (around 6 million java developers world wide) will not be available on the Mac.

No, you confuse it with another statement.

"No Java available for the Mac anymore" translates to what you say.

"No Java bundled with OS X by default by Apple" (what the story tells) does not imply what you say at all.

Java does not come with Windows for example --but Mathematica, Maple, Matlab et al have no problem there. Neither do Java programmers and Eclipse users.

All this means is interested users will have to install the JDK themselves as the do on Windows and Linux. Or that the program vendors with bundle a JRE with their apps.

Quote:

It's funny because a lot of Java developers liked using OS X (myself included) because it was nicely put together OS with java pre-installed. In a lot of Java developer conferences up to half of the participants were using Mac. All that is about to change...

Yes, for the better.

More current Java releases from the Mac, from upstream. Yes!

Quote:

Oracle is very unlikely to bring JDK for the OS X any time soon. They are not a very agile company (they are having a hard time finalizing the specification for the next version of the language let alone implementation). So, I would not expect java for mac from them in the next 5 years if ever (it's just not an important platform for them, esp. in the server space).

5 years? That time-span stinks! Probably because you pulled it out of your arse...

Quote:

The best hope for Java on the Mac are some half baked ports of BSD JVM but it does not support the GUI very well and it only runs under X11.

The were half-baked because there was no need up to now.

They will get steam soon. Also, IBM has made some announcements lately, surely you have heard...
  • Reply 24 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Good Article. Hopefully this frees up some developers to work on Cocoa.

Cocoa is faster than Java and faster than managed .NET, in fact the whole idea of solving Run Anywhere by using a VM at the app level seems to be an idea that it fizzling out. Products like VMware which solve the problem at the hardware level are getting much wider adoption.

I predict Java will die and C# will lose it's CLR and go back to native code, and Objective-C/Cocoa will go from strength to strength.

It's not really a case of desktop applications in Java any more. The Enterprise market especially in Java is one of the largest out there.

Many Java developers such as myself use the Mac OS X because it's UNIX based - much like the OS's we deploy to. Not only that but it's is a standard commercial OS that we do not need to tinker with such as many of the Linux distributions.

I'll agree that the Oracle acquisition of Sun has pushed plans of Java back for the time being but I can guarantee, Java is not going away anytime soon. We have a release of Java 7 out in 2011, and Java 8 in 2012.

There are too many Java EE based applications out there that need Java developers and run many of the websites and online applications on the Internet.

Microsoft is taking a much more open approach to development as well - no longer pushing their own applications onto developers but also encouraging cross platform development - If you don't like using BizTalk Server then use another platform instead, that's what Microsoft is now proclaiming. Even working with Sun on WSI-T to ensure the web services on Windows based servers integrate with Java/UNIX based servers.

If Apple drops support for Java and Oracle does not step up to the plate (and why should they?), there will be a big loss for Apple from mainstream enterprise developers. Apple cannot ignore the enterprise market even now when we are on the cusp of mainstream cloud and distributed computing.
  • Reply 25 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foljs View Post

Oh, imagine the horror! One million geek losers not being able to play their favorite MMORPG...

Joke aside, Java is much needed on the Mac, mostly for developers. But since Java-Cocoa bridge has been deprecated long ago, a pure Java/Swing port is mostly trivial to OS X.

Actually, it has already been done, from the OpenJDK project, IIRC.

Futhermore, Oracle's Java is not all the rage anymore, IBM took some initiatives of its' own. We might see some nice competition in the JRE/JDK area at last..

Your reading an Apple news and rumors website. That makes you a geek too!
  • Reply 26 of 73
    Quote:

5 years? That time-span stinks! Probably because you pulled it out of your arse...

I agree, there is no way Oracle would leave Mac OS X out from the the Java 7 release next year. Admittedly this is presuming that OpenJDK is as open as Oracle and IBM are saying.

I'm curious to see where OpenJDK goes, but I know as many other Java Developers using Mac OS X do, if there is no JDK on the Mac then Linux and Windows will be their next platform of choice.
  • Reply 27 of 73
    Quote:

Well I have the feeling Oracle is allowing IBM to be a proxy for the JDK as IBM has a much larger stake in Java than Oracle. So if Oracle can get someone else to do the work they will.

Remember IBM do not have a programming platform and DB2 is not as big as the Oracle RDBMS. Also Relational Database systems are going the way of the dinosaurs with distributed databases and IMDGs taking their place (Cassandra for example is a pure Java implementation of an IMDG).

RDBMS will always have a place, but pretty much at the very bottom of the chain with very little work to do!
  • Reply 28 of 73
    c-rayc-ray Posts: 40member
    What is Oracle's incentive to assume production of the Macintosh JVM ?

Maybe I'm missing something here. Will this be an item that has to be licensed from Oracle ?
  • Reply 29 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Good Article. Hopefully this frees up some developers to work on Cocoa.

Cocoa is faster than Java and faster than managed .NET, in fact the whole idea of solving Run Anywhere by using a VM at the app level seems to be an idea that it fizzling out. Products like VMware which solve the problem at the hardware level are getting much wider adoption.

I predict Java will die and C# will lose it's CLR and go back to native code, and Objective-C/Cocoa will go from strength to strength.

You're confusing things. Java is strong on the server, especially among Fortune 500 company, and your reasoning that Java is only good for GUI development is absolutely specious. I work for a Fortune 500 company doing Java server-side development, and I can assure you that Java's going nowhere.

Cocoa/Objective-C is limited by two factors: 1) It only runs on Mac and iOS 2) Objective-C is starting to become long in the tooth as a programming language (Apple's excellent APIs notwithstanding).

As for .NET, it's not going anywhere either, especially not on Windows and especially not in the enterprise.
  • Reply 30 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c-ray View Post

What is Oracle's incentive to assume production of the Macintosh JVM ?

Maybe I'm missing something here. Will this be an item that has to be licensed from Oracle ?

Oracle uses Java extensively for GUI development, and many of their GUIs run on OS X. Also, with the investment Oracle is making in JavaFX 2.0, I doubt very much they can stand to lose 20% of the desktop market.

What I don't know is whether Apple will open source its Java GUI implementation, sell/license it to Oracle, or do nothing.
  • Reply 31 of 73
    Headline: reports of sky falling greatly exaggerated

Why don't we all wait until we see where this is really going? I suspect speculation about development going back to Oracle/Sun is about right. There's no way in hell Apple would remove Java from OS X. It just makes no sense on any level.
  • Reply 32 of 73
    Is this Java Preferences window fabricated? There is no Apple Java 6 for 32-bit platforms. That's why having Mac Mini with Core Duo (not Core 2 Duo) I have to rely on OpenJava with some link tricks on UNIX command line level.

Sorry, but that window looks bogus or Apple started a game of supporting Java 6 32-bit on newer platform which is not quite fair as they could easily do this for those of us who use 32-bit versions of Mac OS X.
  • Reply 33 of 73
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Although I had been mostly neglecting this web site and its Java applet for the past three years, I'd finally put some serious time into it again recently and released an update earlier this week, just a few days before this deprecation announcement:

http://www.skyviewcafe.com/skyview.php

Examples are becoming rarer and rarer, as it's getting pretty amazing what you can do with lightweight web apps based on Javascript, CSS, and HTML, but the above applet is still one of those things that's hard to pull off as effectively by any means other than Java. You can't get away with letting a user drag around a star map or a view of planetary orbits, submit a request to a remote server, let the server calculate a new high-res image, and pipe that image back to a browser fast enough to get the kind of fluid motion I can create with a Java applet, speedily tracking the slightest or the fastest mouse movement.

Getting this applet to work well on the Mac has been a bit of a pain in the ass. The worst thing recently was some weird bug where selecting from a pop-up menu was often completely ignored. It took some ugly Mac-specific hacking to get around the problem. (Oddly enough, if you make a Mac run the older Java 1.5 instead of the newer Java 1.6, the bug, and the need to hack around it, go away.)

The various Java browser plug-ins on the Mac don't seem to work as well as their Windows counterparts either -- the Mac versions flicker an awful lot when you do things like resize the browser window or open and close dialogs.

I gave up a while back on trying to support Apple's Java implementation of the Aqua look-and-feel. It was big and clunky and hungry for screen real estate. Screen layouts that looked fine in Windows and Linux were overcrowded and/or clipped off in Aqua. I'd found tricks to tame these problems, but every new release of Java from Apple changed the rules and broke my previous fixes.

I wanted the Mac version of the applet be the best-looking version with a slick Aqua interface. Now and then during the applet's history the Mac version could claim that. But after all of the problems I had with Aqua in Java, until recently I had to give up and use "Metal", a look-and-feel built into Java that makes Windows Classic look stylish.

With this latest release of the applet, however, I finally gave up on worrying about how long a user might have to wait for everything to download on dial-up. I let the download double in size so I could use JGoodies Plastic look-and-feel (my own tweaked variant). The latest applet looks almost exactly the same on all platforms.

For all of the above bitching and moaning, however, I'm still a big Mac fan, I own only Macs, and I really want OS X to be a great platform to run this applet or any other Java work I do. In the office I do my Java development on Windows, but at home I do all my development on the Mac.

I'm worried now that when Lion comes out what many Mac users will see if they go to my web site is not star charts and orbits and shadows of the moon moving over a map of the world, but only the words "Applet disabled".

http://www.skyviewcafe.com/skyview.php?nojava=true
  • Reply 34 of 73
    This is one of two things:
    1. A really, really stupid move on the part of Apple showing complete disregard for their existing customer base.

2. A very, very poorly thought out and worded "deprecation" announcement.

Just last week I was pricing out options for 2 Mac Pro's. The idea being to take what's currently being done by about 7 different machines and put it on these two. There are a few little caveats though: one system relies heavily on JSP/Servlet technology to communicate with a processing system based on that technology, and the other uses extensive Java code because of its cross platform ability.

Guess what I'm not going to be buying any time soon!!!

If Oracle is to take over Java development and distribution, fine, but if this is the case they shouldn't have made a "deprecation" announcement until after a corresponding statement from Oracle was released.

If they have no intention of supporting Java, basically they're castrating any serious users of their systems, which makes me wonder, "what comes next?"

Will OS X Server be trashed?

Will X-Windows support be eliminated?

WIll OS X itself be eliminated in favor of iOS?

Will the computer lines be cut to minimalist machines?

As for me, I spent the better part of the day looking at Linux variants...something I haven't done in 7 years.
  • Reply 35 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

I believe Sun/Oracle has always developed the platform, and think that having Oracle responsible for the releases means we will finally be getting timely updates.

I agree.

Now if we could get our graphics updates from the respective manufacturers, that would be great too. Or, it could be bad.

I guess we'll see.
  • Reply 36 of 73
    This is great news. Java for Mac was always going to be far behind the latest release of Java for Windows. Hopefully now Oracle can start to keep all Java versions in sync.
  • Reply 37 of 73
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:

No, you confuse it with another statement.

"No Java available for the Mac anymore" translates to what you say.

"No Java bundled with OS X by default by Apple" (what the story tells) does not imply what you say at all.

Java does not come with Windows for example --but Mathematica, Maple, Matlab et al have no problem there. Neither do Java programmers and Eclipse users.

All this means is interested users will have to install the JDK themselves as the do on Windows and Linux. Or that the program vendors with bundle a JRE with their apps.

Yes, for the better.

More current Java releases from the Mac, from upstream. Yes!

The were half-baked because there was no need up to now.

They will get steam soon. Also, IBM has made some announcements lately, surely you have heard...

Except no one makes JDK/JRE for OS X other than Apple. There are ports of BSD java to OS X but they are incomplete and use X11 for GUI.

Someone starting from scratch will take a long long time to come up with JDK implementation for OS X (and probably also run into license issues with Oracle, since it's almost impossible to implement it without stepping on some patent).

IBM announcement has nothing to do with OS X. It basically just says they are joining the Open JDK project (and leaving Apache harmony).
  • Reply 38 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maciekskontakt View Post

Is this Java Preferences window fabricated? There is no Apple Java 6 for 32-bit platforms. That's why having Mac Mini with Core Duo (not Core 2 Duo) I have to rely on OpenJava with some link tricks on UNIX command line level.

Sorry, but that window looks bogus or Apple started a game of supporting Java 6 32-bit on newer platform which is not quite fair as they could easily do this for those of us who use 32-bit versions of Mac OS X.

My Core Duo MacBook (ordered the day the MacBook was introduced) didn't have Java 6 under Leopard, but it does under Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 39 of 73
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Apple's plans here are simple, I'd say.

You either develop with apple technologies, like Cocoa, or you don't have to develop for the Mac. There is a major overhead using 50 different technologies to develop an OS. These technologies are for convenience, to minimize the amount of code required to be written, and to lessen the understanding required by the developer of the actual system they are developing for.

On iOS, Apple was sure to make one thing clear: You develop with UIKit, and its API's. That's it. They don't want to be supporting other people and bogging ourselves down. UIKit is more than capable as a UI development framework, and even beats Cocoa (an industry leader).

Moving onto Mac OS X, Apple has decided that if it wants to support devices like a 1.4Ghz MacBook Air, then it needs to pare down its OS to avoid running multiple runtimes for nothing. There's no reason to have bloatware for the sake of developer convenience when you have 20% of the US computer market. Developers need to get with the program and deal with it: You're either with Cocoa, or you aren't. And to be honest, there's not that much difference. Except overhead on devices that realistically don't need it.

This is about Apple stripping away bloat from its OS, and streamlining developers to Cocoa. A good idea indeed.
  • Reply 40 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

What? Steve Jobs hates a cup of Java now??

Actually just the opposite.

Before now, Apple required that all Java releases be sent to them for testing and then Apple was releasing them to users. Now the hardware and software has gotten powerful enough that Apple doesn't feel that this middleman testing is needed. And so there will be no more 'Apple approved' runtimes.

it's actually better for all because under the old system Apple's Java was sometimes a version or two behind the game. To the point of being a security risk, or potential one.