New MacBook Air ships without Flash installed

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Most PC's do come with all that stuff out of the box. Normal people don't understand they are added by Hewlett Packard or Dell or whoever. Not everyone is a tech geek.

That's likely why he said that "Windows doesn't ship" instead of "Dell/HP doesn't ship". Try reading next time.
  • Reply 102 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Android>iOS View Post

My froyo Nexus one has flash installed, and it performs quick and flawless. Apple must have not seen this. That's fine though, just one point in the Android column.

Sorry, that's not a point. Thats -1.

"Wait, what? You can get Jimmy Johnson on your Android...!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAOtC...eature=channel
  • Reply 103 of 109
    Quote:

Most PC's do come with all that stuff out of the box. Normal people don't understand they are added by Hewlett Packard or Dell or whoever. Not everyone is a tech geek.

Dont need to be a tech geek. Just need to know how to drive a mouse around the screen. Every site that has a Flash file will direct the user to Adobe to DL the latest Flash Player Plugin if it doesn't find one in the system.

Thats not very geeky. Besides, with the run towards HTML5 and all the rest of the new technology, Flash is not long for this world....even Nokia....I think we all know how many phones they sell...is gearing toward HTML5 and Qt for App Dev.

SEE Ya Flash...been nice knowing you...and Qt in this case isn't QuickTime
  • Reply 104 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's likely why he said that "Windows doesn't ship" instead of "Dell/HP doesn't ship". Try reading next time.

My point was that mere mortals don't make that distinction. No need to be rude. It doesn't make you any less wrong.
  • Reply 105 of 109
    10.6 shipped with a vulnerable version of flash. I think Apple is attempting to get away from shipping anything that they do not control.
  • Reply 106 of 109
    Quote:

My point was that mere mortals don't make that distinction. No need to be rude. It doesn't make you any less wrong.

Except that I wasn't. On either case.
  • Reply 107 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple will have the Mac App Store in place within 90 days. There is no reason why Adobe can?t put their free Flash player on the store for the very simple install that they showed in the demo yesterday. This takes Apple out of the equation for supporting Flash, it let?s Adobe get Flash updates to users faster and prevents the oh so dreadful(¡) eventuality that Mac OS X Lion could get finalized with a slightly out of date version of Adobe Flash on it. The horror!¡

Are there any other 3rd-party SW that Apple has been including on their systems that would be better regulated to the Mac App Store? I think this will be a trend and I think this may be the real reason for the exclusion at this point, not the performance of the LV/ULV C2D.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by djmikeo View Post

If Apple had flash installed, they would need to change the advertising to reflect the battery life.

Without Flash , up to 7 hours

With Flash, Up to 2 hours.

All hyperbole aside, there may be some truth in that. Steve did say they were getting more stringent with their battery testing and they do list the battery times as being for Wirelesss Browsing.

PS: Apple has had the best battery measurements for at a half decade now. It?s too bad that no one but Sony has followed them into the real-world mean usage.

Here is the real reason Apple has removed Flash from the standard OS X install (This won't be limited to the Air):

Quote:
    Originally Posted by From the Mac App Store Guidelines

Apps must contain all language support in a single app bundle (single binary multiple language). Apps that spawn processes that continue to run after a user has quit the app without user consent will be rejected. Apps that use deprecated or optionally installed technologies (e.g., Java, [PowerPC code requiring] Rosetta) will be rejected.

This also explains why Apple has depricated Java.

• Reply 108 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wildjames View Post

Personally, I think it would be easier to install flash than uninstall it.

I think there comes a point when certain things sour the experience. As acsii pointed out, flash has caused problems in the past. Maybe Apple wanted to make sure nothing would happen again. For instance, if a user kept having their Air overheat, they would blame Apple. Although, it was Adobe's fault.

Flash is not hard to uninstall. Adobe is not responsible for hardware overheating. Everything you just wrote is ridiculous
  • Reply 109 of 109
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

It makes perfect sense.

Lots of first time buyers. They won't understand when their shiny new Air crashes every time they try to surf the web.

Better to simply exclude the functionality.

sensationalist much? I can't remember the last time my mac or my browser crashed and i routinely surf flash sites and or rich internet applications. In fact, i even went as far as to install the 64bit flash plugin and it's remarkably better than the old one.