HP releasing $799 Slate 500 to take on iPad in tablet market

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Six months after the launch of Apple's iPad, HP is ready to launch its Slate 500 tablet device, which will cost $799 and is aimed at business customers.

Several news sites and blogs published details of the product launch Thursday, although the official HP Slate page at www.hp.com/go/slate had yet to go live.

According to Reuters, the HP Slate 500 will fit a full-version of Windows 7 into a 1.5 pound tablet with an 8.9-inch multi-touch screen and a 5-hour battery life. With 64GB of Flash storage, the device is $100 more than the comparable 64GB iPad. The tablet will reportedly have a 1024-by-600-pixel resolution.

The Slate 500 comes with a "digital stylus pen" and is equipped with front and rear cameras and a USB port. According to Engadget, the Slate is powered by a 1.86 GHz Intel Atom Z540 processor and 2GB of RAM.

Unlike Apple, which markets the iPad primarily to consumers, HP is stressing the Slate 500's suitability for business users. "It's really like a full-function PC, it runs Windows, it will run your office applications, it just so happens to be in a slate form factor," said Carol Hess-Nickels, director of business notebook marketing at HP.

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer unveiled the HP Slate at CES in January. Following HP's purchase of Palm, which was primarily for its WebOS, news of the upcoming HP Slate dwindled. HP has since promised a consumer-focused WebOS-based tablet will be released next year.

During Apple's Q4 2010 conference call Monday, Apple CEO Steve Jobs told analysts that rival tablet makers were having trouble matching the iPad's pricing with comparable specs.

"Our potential competitors [in tablets] are having a tough time coming close to iPad's pricing," Jobs said. "iPad incorporates everything we've learned about building high value products. We create our own A4 chip, software, battery chemistry, enclosure, everything. This results in an incredible product at a great price. The proof will be in the pricing of our competitors' products, which will offer less for more."

For a comparison of the Slate versus the iPad, see the chart below.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 433
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    "...It's really like a full-function PC, it runs Windows..."

that's all i need to know. bring on the iPad.
  • Reply 2 of 433
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Too bad it doesn't come with sandpaper.
  • Reply 3 of 433
    Again missing the point. Windows 7 is designed as a mouse driven interface, NOT a touch interface. Yes, some people will want it, but it's going to be a kludge to use. Fortunately, there are people that are used to that because they use Windows every day. User interface isn't an important element in their computing experience.

Now, what I'd really like to see is how the battery lasts on this slate. I'm guessing 3 hours max.
  • Reply 4 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bjojade View Post

Now, what I'd really like to see is how the battery lasts on this slate. I'm guessing 3 hours max.

That and how long it takes to boot up.
  • Reply 5 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sparkplug View Post

That and how long it takes to boot up.

From the description it seems that as above it will not be instant on, it requires way more Ram and a faster processor than the iPad and they want to charge $100 more for it....
  • Reply 6 of 433
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    HP seems to have "repositioned" it, including a Wacom digitizer and 64GB flash memory (storage).

However, that still doesn't remove the MS "Slate" push back in January that had everyone thinking they were competing with the iPad.

So people are expecting an iPad competitor and then they get this? So it's basically a tablet PC that is fully tablet (no HW keyboard)... ok, price is good if you want a full PC, but it's kind of also crippled with an Atom and a 600px height screen (ie, netbook class).

Kind of it's own species of bird, really. Hopefully for HP, not a Dodo.

oh, and there's a pullout windows license plate (no other function)... WTF?

http://www.engadget.com/photos/hp-sl...ds-on/#3494158
  • Reply 7 of 433
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    All these destined to fail attempts made me glad I got an iPad as soon as was made available here.

From my iPad
  • Reply 8 of 433
    all i want to know is battery life of this device.

everything else, i can tolerate.
  • Reply 9 of 433
    IMO, the only thing that this has on the iPad is the SD storage. But honestly, I don't have an iPad, so I can't say for sure.
  • Reply 10 of 433
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Let's all be good sports, chip in and buy one!
  • Reply 11 of 433
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    What a bargain! Windows 7 alone sells for $175+ on amazon. Act now!!

The stylus must be absolutely incredible. Google images didn't pull up any photos of it.

From what I've read, the slate lacks a slot for the stylus. The stylus is supposed to be stashed in a carrying case for the slate.
  • Reply 12 of 433
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    Once you figure in the 17 Gigs for a full version of windows 7 before it starts to bloat and the relatively large size of Windows programs like Office, there wont be much space left so you will need to add more flash and 2 gigs of ram sounds like a minimum for running 7 efficiently. Wait, does this thing have a cdrom? How will you get all of those wonderful full programs on CD installed? And battery life will be a joke!!
  • Reply 13 of 433

They just don't get it....
  • Reply 14 of 433
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

Once you figure in the 17 Gigs for a full version of windows 7 before it starts to bloat and the relatively large size of Windows programs like Office, there wont be much space left so you will need to add more flash and 2 gigs of ram sounds like a minimum for running 7 efficiently. Wait, does this thing have a cdrom? How will you get all of those wonderful full programs on CD installed? And battery life will be a joke!!

Downloading these "full programs" should be interesting: photoshop for example takes several hours to download, then longer to install - and when running win7 and any resource intensive apps (whole point of windows on a tablet) I doubt thus thing gets more than 2.5 hrs battery life.
  • Reply 15 of 433
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Let's all continue to bash a product we've never used or even have the full specs on.
  • Reply 16 of 433
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

Let's all continue to bash a product we've never used or even have the full specs on.

We do know one thing.... it has windows on it....and windows 7 at that. eeek!
  • Reply 17 of 433
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

How much is a full installation of OS x in disk space? Itunes? I suspect the the bloatiness of apps is a lot closer than you think.
  • Reply 18 of 433
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

We do know one thing.... it has windows on it....and windows 7 at that. eeek!

When you say "Windows 7 at that" it just proves that you know very little about that particular product line.

Windows 7 is great. Really. I say that without a shadow of sarcasm or irony.

I'm not so sure it's a good fit inside this particular product but as a desktop OS it's neck and neck with anything else out there.
  • Reply 19 of 433
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    A sure shot recipe for failure is to make your product look like a Chinese knockoff of an already popular brand. I'm looking for the 'Abble' logo somewhere the first time I use one of these hands on.

Quote:

Putting Windows on a PC without a keyboard has been done before. And it sucks.
  • Reply 20 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by r00fus View Post

oh, and there's a pullout windows license plate (no other function)... WTF?

http://www.engadget.com/photos/hp-sl...ds-on/#3494158

I think that's the battery....

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

What a bargain! Windows 7 alone sells for $175+ on amazon. Act now!!

The stylus must be absolutely incredible. Google images didn't pull up any photos of it.

From what I've read, the slate lacks a slot for the stylus. The stylus is supposed to be stashed in a carrying case for the slate.

Stylus = fail. But then Windows is going to need a stylus, so Windows = fail too.