HP releasing $799 Slate 500 to take on iPad in tablet market

Comments

• Reply 41 of 433
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

We do know one thing.... it has windows on it....and windows 7 at that. eeek!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Windows 7. Unless you are one of those extreme Apple fanboys that worships Steve Jobs every night before you go to bed and believe Windows and Linux cause cancer.
  • Reply 42 of 433
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

You might be onto something, except for the fact that Windows 7 was designed with a touch interface in mind as well, there is a free product that is available which is called "Microsoft Touch Pack for Windows 7"

Don't even bother, half the people here do no research whatsoever and just post typical anti-Microsoft fluff.
  • Reply 43 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

But XBox has lost billions due to horrible hardware design (just Google "General Hardware Failure" ).

Could you provide evidence that the XBox is *still* a financial hole? They are selling a lot, and I really doubt they aren't already in the green. Kinect will be a huge success too, so I don't think that XBox really counts as a failure. At least they are shipping real products with real impressive innovation, and they will have the possibility (will they have the vision?) to make a similar move of Apple "Back to Mac", and bring kinect technology "back to pc". Yes, multitouch on the vertical screen may be stupid, but kinect tech may bring incredible novelties on the future UIs of operating systems.

I know it's easy to do a big MS landslide of snark remarks, but I think that Xbox really stands out from the general mediocrity provided by MS. Windows 7 is also not really that bad.
  • Reply 44 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

How much is a full installation of OS x in disk space? Itunes? I suspect the the bloatiness of apps is a lot closer than you think.

That's why Apple was not dumb enough to put in a full desktop OS into iPad.

They got iOS.
  • Reply 45 of 433
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fila97 View Post

That's why Apple was not dumb enough to put in a full desktop OS into iPad.

They got iOS.

OSX Is only 9 GB, windows 7 is 14 GB (32bit) or 20gb (64bit).

That's up to 11 GB of space "saved" by having OSX as opposed to '7
  • Reply 46 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

Don't even bother, half the people here do no research whatsoever and just post typical anti-Microsoft fluff.

May be true, but if you think that windows 7 pack whatever will be enough to bring win 7 to a coherent multitouch experience, you are the one in insane denial. It's a pathetic strategy, one that sheds light into the complete lack of sense from MS. They know this by now, having almost shipped a revamped win mobile version that is totally unlike windows itself. Perhaps they will take another 3 years to figure out that win 7 is probably not the ideal OS to bring to tablets... by that time android and iOS will be like 95% of the world market, with hundreds of million tablets being sold per year. Bye bye MS, it was good while it lasted (or not...)
  • Reply 47 of 433
    It's ugly
  • Reply 48 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dazonic View Post

Okay we can all laugh and point and say how shit it is, but the big question for me and more importantly HP is *who the fuck is going to buy this thing?*. I can only think of the geeks of the geeks who hate Apple, and they don't have money.

They'll need the money coz HP charged a $100 premium on it compared to the iPad
  • Reply 49 of 433
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

All these destined to fail attempts made me glad I got an iPad as soon as was made available here.

From my iPad

Totally. Here in Malaysia it's been almost a year since the January announcement and no iPads to be seen anywhere officially. Unofficially, there's many. And all these other failblets only now coming to the market, and same if not more expensive? WTF. Screw them.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Loptimist View Post

all i want to know is battery life of this device.

everything else, i can tolerate.

I think that's how the slate will be marketed. "HP Slate - The Tablet You Can Tolerate!". It even rhymes! Sing along with me - One two four eight, Hp Slate, the tablet you can to-le-rate...!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by meeksdigital View Post

They just don't get it....

It's been a year and nobody seems to get it. Maybe they'll sell lots of these iPad clones, maybe I'm wrong. I doubt it though... Beyond the novelty factor which will wear off after several months?

Quote:

Let's all continue to bash a product we've never used or even have the full specs on.

That's what we do here. Seriously though how much more information do we need. Maybe if they told us if it has a custom UI?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

How much is a full installation of OS x in disk space? Itunes? I suspect the the bloatiness of apps is a lot closer than you think.

But they're not trying to fit OSX on an iPad. Just a 11" Mac netbook
  • Reply 50 of 433
    hardware on the side of PC is great always. but what they don't know is how to make really acceptable, friendly UI which is totally fit into that device. full windows 7? totally misunderstand to translate what mobile UI should be. just it can't work.
  • Reply 51 of 433
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    It's really too bad that it runs Windows, but I'm very impressed with the feature set of this product.

There are a lot of things about my iPad that make me think that it is just not quite what it should have been hardware-wise. The HP Slate seems to have addressed most of my concerns. It's got USB, an SD card reader, front and back facing cameras, a lot more RAM, a user accessible file system, and you can use a stylus instead of finger painting like a 2-year-old. That dock/stand combo that docks in landscape mode with a built-in USB hub and HDMI port is brilliant too.
  • Reply 52 of 433
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    So much fail in this one from HP, they really don't get it do they?
  • Reply 53 of 433
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Things like this might not sell well but it puts a bit of presure on Apple to rev iPad in a decent manner.

I know many on this forum don't want to hear it but iPad has many shortcomings that are very likely due to being a rev one device. It is short on RAM for one thing and anything that is CPU bound is dog slow. Apple has already addressed one of these issues on iPhone and an Cortex A9 CPU can't be far away. So in a way we all ought to be happy that HPand others will keep Apple from dragging its feet.
  • Reply 54 of 433
    Stylus pen? Uggh!
  • Reply 55 of 433
    jetlawjetlaw Posts: 156member
    I consider myself to be an Apple fan, but NOT a fanboy. That being said, my criticism of this device is simple: It seems to me to be exactly like the many, many, failed Windows-based tablets we've seen over the past ten years. To put it simply, iPad is the only device to see any real success in this space. It seems as though ease of use, a library of quality apps that run quickly and natively on the device, incredible battery life, and relative low price are the primary selling points of Ipad. This device seems to (or likely to) fall short of iPad in all these areas.
  • Reply 56 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

"...It's really like a full-function PC, it runs Windows..."

that's all i need to know. bring on the iPad.

yeah, i see this as pure laziness on the part of HP.

how do you compete with a wildly popular consumer product with a custom OS designed to work well with multitouch?

well, if you are HP, here are the steps you follow:

1. give up on making a good OS

2. now that we gave up on that we'll have to throw windows on it because there is no other option

3. since we need to put windows on it the only customer crazy enough to buy a product with a desktop OS being controlled by a touch screen would be a business consumer that needs to spend $700 to have a "new" way to do powerpoint presentations.

4. now that we've established product inferiority the finishing touch is including a stylus!!

5. price it HIGHER than the comparable apple product

HP should have waited and used webOS! what exactly did they buy palm for?

i think it's amazing how the old PC clone maker mentality is screwing apple's competitors. do they really expect to compete with apple if you don't try to design some kind of unique technology? or do they just wait for the next windows version and tell a contractor to throw a touch screen on that bitch and call it a day? so this is going to work better than windows xp tablet PCs....how???

do they not see that the success of the iPad 100% completely and wholly has to do with it NOT having windows on it?
  • Reply 57 of 433
    If it ran Android it might have a chance. Windows? Might as well say the thing has herpes virus on it. Until the new Windows phone OS, MicroSoft has never understood how to design a non-PC OS interface. Flameout in six to nine months. Next!
  • Reply 58 of 433
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

Let's all continue to bash a product we've never used or even have the full specs on.

Most of us have used Windows! That's all I need to know.
  • Reply 59 of 433
    Quote:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Windows 7. Unless you are one of those extreme Apple fanboys that worships Steve Jobs every night before you go to bed and believe Windows and Linux cause cancer.

typical Microsoft drone/astroturfer post. Yes there are many things wrong with Windows 7.

1) Microsoft - one of the worst companies ever

2) Requires one to run Anti-Virus, Intrusion detection, etc... just to have a tiny illusion of security. Why not just fix your broken OS?

3) Super expensive. How much does it cost? Not to mention the "upgrades" cost

4) How many versions do they need to try and nickel and dime people?

5) The registry

6) Uses proprietary file formats and protocols everywhere rather than use existing standards

7) i could go on for a long time...
  • Reply 60 of 433
    aeolianaeolian Posts: 189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Six months after the launch of Apple's iPad, HP is ready to launch its Slate 500 tablet device, which will cost $799 and is aimed at business customers.

Several news sites and blogs published details of the product launch Thursday, although the official HP Slate page at www.hp.com/go/slate had yet to go live.

According to Reuters, the HP Slate 500 will fit a full-version of Windows 7 into a 1.5 pound tablet with an 8.9-inch multi-touch screen. With 64GB of Flash storage, the device is $100 more than the comparable 64GB iPad. The tablet will reportedly have a 1024-by-600-pixel resolution.

The Slate 500 comes with a "digital stylus pen" and is equipped with front and rear cameras and a USB port. According to Engadget, the Slate is powered by a 1.86 GHz Intel Atom Z540 processor and 2GB of RAM.

Unlike Apple, which markets the iPad primarily to consumers, HP is stressing the Slate 500's suitability for business users. "It's really like a full-function PC, it runs Windows, it will run your office applications, it just so happens to be in a slate form factor," said Carol Hess-Nickels, director of business notebook marketing at HP.

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer unveiled the HP Slate at CES in January. Following HP's purchase of Palm, which was primarily for its WebOS, news of the upcoming HP Slate dwindled. HP has since promised a consumer-focused WebOS-based tablet will be released next year.

During Apple's Q4 2010 conference call Monday, Apple CEO Steve Jobs told analysts that rival tablet makers were having trouble matching the iPad's pricing with comparable specs.

"Our potential competitors [in tablets] are having a tough time coming close to iPad's pricing," Jobs said. "iPad incorporates everything we've learned about building high value products. We create our own A4 chip, software, battery chemistry, enclosure, everything. This results in an incredible product at a great price. The proof will be in the pricing of our competitors' products, which will offer less for more."

For a comparison of the Slate versus the iPad, see the chart below.

My guys are already sending in 'stock lists" on the iPad, and I don't know how. They are doing it in excell.... and they won't tell me. This looks even better to me.