HP releasing $799 Slate 500 to take on iPad in tablet market

Comments

• Reply 61 of 433
    competition is always good for consumers
  • Reply 62 of 433
    aeolianaeolian Posts: 189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

OSX Is only 9 GB, windows 7 is 14 GB (32bit) or 20gb (64bit).

That's up to 11 GB of space "saved" by having OSX as opposed to '7

Space is not a factor these days. Only if you can't change what you have.
  • Reply 63 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dazonic View Post

Okay we can all laugh and point and say how shit it is, but the big question for me and more importantly HP is *who the fuck is going to buy this thing?*. I can only think of the geeks of the geeks who hate Apple, and they don't have money.

nobody is going to buy this...

and also i love the memory comparison of the article, like it really means anything...they both run completely different software so it means nothing...we know which is the crappiest of both OSs...

epic fail
  • Reply 64 of 433
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kakeroat View Post

True, but this isn't it. This is a lame attempt to cash in Christmas iPad buying frenzy and to confuse grandma when she buys the wrong one as a gift. I recall hearing a Best Buy sales guy saying to an old lady a few years back (before Apple in-store section) "Yes ma'm, this is an iMac type system." As he showed an older lady an iMac look a like from Dell or some such crap.
  • Reply 65 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Windows 7. Unless you are one of those extreme Apple fanboys that worships Steve Jobs every night before you go to bed and believe Windows and Linux cause cancer.

windows 7 is an unbloated vista...

it has all the problems of the older windows versions (viruses, registry, etc...)

linux is awesome
  • Reply 66 of 433
    Quote:

Don't even bother, half the people here do no research whatsoever and just post typical anti-Microsoft fluff.

running an app designed for the desktop but using a "Microsoft Touch Pack for Windows 7" really can't possibly work as well as having all apps UI be custom designed from the ground up for both a touch UI and the specific screen size of the touch device.

Apple's approach involves a bit more work for developers to give users better usability of their apps on their various devices.

The HP/Microsoft answer to an apps UI not being designed from the ground up for touch is to throw a touch layer in there and include a stylus for things too small to hit with your finger. Apple's approach is to require the UI to be rebuilt.

Which do you think works better for usability?

The huge advantage Apple has in all of this is their OS frameworks are build on the object oriented objective-c while Windows 7 still is built with the same C style functions/callbacks from the 80s. Among other things, this makes it tons easier to isolate and replace the UI on a MacOS/iOS app than it is for a windows 7 app. It is insane that in 2010, you still have to have a function like this (that requires a huge switch statement to implement)

LRESULT CALLBACK WndProc(HWND hWnd, UINT message, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam)

in your app to draw your apps content in a windows window. That mess should have been deprecated 15 years ago and replaced by a pure object oriented approach.

This is really the core reason Apple is able to destroy Microsoft in the mobile space and continues to chip away at their market share in the desktop market. being object oriented makes the OS easier to evolve, apps easier to write, and UIs easier to isolate and customize.

That, and the fundamental difference where Microsoft thinks "we can't force our developers to rewrite all of their apps to support a touch computer" and apple thinks "we can't allow our developers to not optimize their apps for our new device".
  • Reply 67 of 433
    aeolianaeolian Posts: 189member
    So this is Windows? It will work with all of my office software?
  • Reply 68 of 433
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I thought this was project was canned. I figured that leak of this device from last month was of an old prototype. There really is a Crtl-Alt-Del button on this thing? Wow!

Since they made it a digitizer, too, they may find a small market for this device, but I’m sure it’s very, very small. It might just to recoup some loses on the engineering without any real hope of being a profitable product in and of itself. The lesser of two loses.

PS: As for those that say that Win7 is awesome and an Atom is powerful enough to make Win7 run like butter, are you the same people that say that the C2Ds with Nvidia 320M in the new MBAs are complete crap?
  • Reply 69 of 433
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

Space is not a factor these days. Only if you can't change what you have.

On the contrary, In this tablet, windows takes up 1/3 of the HD.
  • Reply 70 of 433
    takeotakeo Posts: 445member
    Quote:

Let's all continue to bash a product we've never used or even have the full specs on.

What are you talking about? It runs Windows. That's all you need to know. That one fact makes any and all other facts and specs completely irrelevant. Window 7 is NOT a touch-based UI. It's not even a great mouse-based UI.
  • Reply 71 of 433
    ... and begin the funeral dirge. Goodbye fair iPad. A new generation of bloated, cumbersome, slower, wannabe tablets are on the horizon threatening... uh... nothing? Forget the whole death knell thing. Rock on iPad!!!
  • Reply 72 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Six months after the launch of Apple's iPad, HP is ready to launch its Slate 500 tablet device, which will cost $799 and is aimed at business customers.

Several news sites and blogs published details of the product launch Thursday, although the official HP Slate page at www.hp.com/go/slate had yet to go live.

According to Reuters, the HP Slate 500 will fit a full-version of Windows 7 into a 1.5 pound tablet with an 8.9-inch multi-touch screen and a 5-hour battery life. With 64GB of Flash storage, the device is $100 more than the comparable 64GB iPad. The tablet will reportedly have a 1024-by-600-pixel resolution.

The Slate 500 comes with a "digital stylus pen" and is equipped with front and rear cameras and a USB port. According to Engadget, the Slate is powered by a 1.86 GHz Intel Atom Z540 processor and 2GB of RAM.

Unlike Apple, which markets the iPad primarily to consumers, HP is stressing the Slate 500's suitability for business users. "It's really like a full-function PC, it runs Windows, it will run your office applications, it just so happens to be in a slate form factor," said Carol Hess-Nickels, director of business notebook marketing at HP.

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer unveiled the HP Slate at CES in January. Following HP's purchase of Palm, which was primarily for its WebOS, news of the upcoming HP Slate dwindled. HP has since promised a consumer-focused WebOS-based tablet will be released next year.

During Apple's Q4 2010 conference call Monday, Apple CEO Steve Jobs told analysts that rival tablet makers were having trouble matching the iPad's pricing with comparable specs.

"Our potential competitors [in tablets] are having a tough time coming close to iPad's pricing," Jobs said. "iPad incorporates everything we've learned about building high value products. We create our own A4 chip, software, battery chemistry, enclosure, everything. This results in an incredible product at a great price. The proof will be in the pricing of our competitors' products, which will offer less for more."

For a comparison of the Slate versus the iPad, see the chart below.

HP will never even come close in sales to the i pad.They quality control and customer service stinks.
  • Reply 73 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Quote: Originally Posted by djsherly

"How much is a full installation of OS x in disk space? Itunes? I suspect the the bloatiness of apps is a lot closer than you think."

Um, which is likely why Apple doesn't put full OS X on a tablet, which I believe would be the point.

Roseanne Roseannadanna moment.
  • Reply 74 of 433
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goocher View Post

... and begin the funeral dirge. Goodbye fair iPad. A new generation of bloated, cumbersome, slower, wannabe tablets are on the horizon threatening... uh... nothing? Forget the whole death knell thing. Rock on iPad!!!

Wired said it all in this headline this morning ...

"HP Slate: The $800 business netbook without a keyboard.

HP has at last revealed its long-awaited Slate, an 8.9-inch tablet with capacitive multi-touch and running Windows 7.

The Slate, you will remember, was proudly touted by Microsoft's Steve Ballmer as an iPad killer, back before the iPad even existed.

So is this an iPad competitor? No freakin' way."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/gaming....red/index.html

It is a very funny read.
  • Reply 75 of 433
    If HP wants to battle Apple then them mofos need to get busy with their own software, ecosystem, something. Cause the only thing I see is a flat box with windows and intel shoved up its a**. What the hell did HP bring to the table that ain't already on the freaking market?

This is HP's desperate attempt at trying to outdo the ipad when the ipad is already kicking the butts of netbooks running windows. Does HP think we're blind!? C'mon man!

And they say this trash is suppose to be targeted to the enterprise market. Yeah, whatever! The enterprise market already has access to a bevy of high end windows tablets that, by the way, are out of the reach for normal consumer.

Oh and since its windows I'll have to install Nortons right? The ipad has no viruses baby!

Moreover why the hell would I give up iworks for ipad, the app store, a virus free environment and the Apple's world class media ecosystem for some bull**** windows tablet? I don't need the bloat.

Thank you and good night.
  • Reply 76 of 433
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

So this is Windows? It will work with all of my office software?

That depends on the HW requirements of your office SW. What?s the minimum CPU type and speed?
  • Reply 77 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Six months after the launch of Apple's iPad, HP is ready to launch its Slate 500 tablet device, which will cost $799 and is aimed at business customers.

I say kudos to HP for releasing the Slate. Competition is good.
  • Reply 78 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kakeroat View Post

Except this isn't a competitor.
  • Reply 79 of 433
    Quote:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Windows 7. Unless you are one of those extreme Apple fanboys that worships Steve Jobs every night before you go to bed and believe Windows and Linux cause cancer.

Spot on. +1. Totally agree.
  • Reply 80 of 433
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member
    I can see HP selling some of these but barely touching iPad sales. I can imagine there being a few in business for whom the Windows on a Tablet would hold appeal, but relatively few in the consumer marketplace.

Interesting that they have gone for 8.9" - bit narrower than the iPad - but a similar resolution - in some ways this is a company lining up behind what SJ said: that 9-10" is a better size for a tablet, rather than the 7" "half size" others are brining to market.