HP releasing $799 Slate 500 to take on iPad in tablet market

Comments

• Reply 81 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post

So this is Windows? It will work with all of my office software?

Isn't that exciting?!!
  • Reply 82 of 433
    I don't see why people would buy this over a laptop/netbook? W7 may have some touch feature to it but it is still built to be used with a mouse and keyboard.

Until MS builds an OS that is touch based from the ground up, it just doesn't work. At least for me.
  • Reply 83 of 433
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goocher View Post

Except this isn't a competitor.

Did you see the part about a whole extra slide out panel to display the paper stick on license MS insist is there on all pre installed Windows machines? How 21st Century eh?
  • Reply 84 of 433
    This thing has a USB port. Does that mean you can go to any cell provider and get an aircard for your data? If you can that plugs a huge hole in the iPad's garden wall. AT&T is not everywhere, and if your a business in an AT&T dead zone, that USB port could make it an attractive option.
  • Reply 85 of 433
    What is there a business will want? Sorry, if it costs more, it should have more; atm it just looks like a squeeze job rather than a tailored job. They didn't have a comparable OS specifically designed for a Tablet form, so they squeezed in the only thing they had available which was W7. Unfortunately for them, this had higher hardware requirements which cost more to put in and suck power greedily. As for the stylus, I had one of these on my Compaq iPaq personal organiser, and it was a pain to use and easy to lose; strangely I find my fingers harder to misplace somehow.

How much space will be left over after W7 and MS Office are loaded? You're probably looking at a maximum of 32 Gb of 'free' space and less than half a day of battery power for $100 more... which is not what businesses want. The only thing the HP Slate adds is a USB port... As for companies developing in house apps for it, these will take far more effort than iPad apps to create.

At the end of the day though, it's the cost the businesses will baulk at.
  • Reply 86 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

I don't see why people would buy this over a laptop/netbook? W7 may have some touch feature to it but it is still built to be used with a mouse and keyboard.

Until MS builds an OS that is touch based from the ground up, it just doesn't work. At least for me.

I suspect it won't work for many people. I predict Zune type sales. In fact probably the same people.

I am trying to imagine dealing with all those pop ups from anti-virus, the Windows OS and updates etc. while three copies if IE open because you were shaking with anger when you tapped the stylus ...

I can see a slew of 3rd party add ons ... first a piece of string with duct tape either end for the stylus.
  • Reply 86 of 433
    aeolianaeolian Posts: 189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

Could you provide evidence that the XBox is *still* a financial hole? They are selling a lot, and I really doubt they aren't already in the green. Kinect will be a huge success too, so I don't think that XBox really counts as a failure. At least they are shipping real products with real impressive innovation, and they will have the possibility (will they have the vision?) to make a similar move of Apple "Back to Mac", and bring kinect technology "back to pc". Yes, multitouch on the vertical screen may be stupid, but kinect tech may bring incredible novelties on the future UIs of operating systems.

I know it's easy to do a big MS landslide of snark remarks, but I think that Xbox really stands out from the general mediocrity provided by MS. Windows 7 is also not really that bad.

No, really. Can one of you tech guys let me know if this will let office run on this device? Seriously.
  • Reply 88 of 433
    Quote:

No, really. Can one of you tech guys let me know if this will let office run on this device? Seriously.

If it is running Windows why not? All done with a stylus.... the multi-gesture functions like pinching to zoom etc. might be a bit difficult though!
  • Reply 89 of 433
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    HP + Business = Vertical integrated markets.

HP is a BIG business consultant and services provider. Very big in the medical field - hospitals.

This tablet will be great to put digital medical records and such on. Last time I was in a hospital, there were PCs on wheeled podiums all over the place that the nurses & doctors used to look up records, etc. Put those apps on a tablet like this.

IF HP can muster the will to write some industry specific apps that use the touch UI well then this'll be a profitable hit. If they just take the podium PC UI and glom it onto the slate, they'll fail.

They aren't targeting the personal user. They don't have the OS or UI skills for that.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 90 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quillz

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Windows 7. Unless you are one of those extreme Apple fanboys that worships Steve Jobs every night before you go to bed and believe Windows and Linux cause cancer.

Spot on. +1. Totally agree.

Ugh, the straw man arguments and whining never cease.
    1. Who said there was anything "wrong" with Windows 7?

2. The pretentious condescension about "fanboys" is especially played and boring, especially on a blog like this one. Yawn.

3. You are agreeing what part of this guy's comment? That Windows 7 isn't "wrong?" Or that "fanboys" exist?

• Reply 91 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Um, which is likely why Apple doesn't put full OS X on a tablet, which I believe would be the point.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Things like this might not sell well but it puts a bit of presure on Apple to rev iPad in a decent manner.

I know many on this forum don't want to hear it but iPad has many shortcomings that are very likely due to being a rev one device. It is short on RAM for one thing and anything that is CPU bound is dog slow. Apple has already addressed one of these issues on iPhone and an Cortex A9 CPU can't be far away. So in a way we all ought to be happy that HPand others will keep Apple from dragging its feet.

Put pressure on Apple to throw in a stylus? iPad is slow? Have you used one? Slower than running a full Windows 7 on an Atom CPU? Has anyone seen a picture showing a virtual keyboard?

What is exactly in this product that Apple might feel compelled to compete against? It may be a more capable device but it is less useable than the iPad, has a smaller screen with lower resolution and costs more. The fact is no blue blooded Windows user would buy this "slate" over a netbook, which is cheaper and easier to use. They will be giving them away at conferences to developers, journalists, and employees.
  • Reply 92 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goocher View Post

Ugh, the straw man arguments and whining never cease.
    1. Who said there was anything "wrong" with Windows 7?

2. The pretentious condescension about "fanboys" is especially played and boring, especially on a blog like this one. Yawn.

3. You are agreeing what part of this guy's comment? That Windows 7 isn't "wrong?" Or that "fanboys" exist?

put him on ignore list and spare us seeing his trolling
  • Reply 93 of 433
    aeolianaeolian Posts: 189member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

o.k. so I'll revolutionize my company with this?

You guys tell me how bad apple is. I might as well give my guys something that will integrate with our systems.

I like reading your posts. Thank you very much!
  • Reply 94 of 433
    Quote:

Spot on. +1. Totally agree.

Quote:

This thing has a USB port. Does that mean you can go to any cell provider and get an aircard for your data? If you can that plugs a huge hole in the iPad's garden wall. AT&T is not everywhere, and if your a business in an AT&T dead zone, that USB port could make it an attractive option.

An attractive option for whom, exactly?

So let me get this straight: You think people will opt for this bloated keyboard-less netbook because it has a USB port, and thus will then go out and buy a USB wireless card for 3G access. Then what? Surf?
  • Reply 95 of 433
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

According to Reuters, the HP Slate 500 will fit a full-version of Windows 7 into a 1.5 pound tablet with an 8.9-inch multi-touch screen and a 5-hour battery life. With 64GB of Flash storage, the device is $100 more than the comparable 64GB iPad. The tablet will reportedly have a 1024-by-600-pixel resolution.

Damn that thing looks sweet!

I'll be very interested in the actual hands-on reviews. Until we see them, we know basically nothing except that it has GREAT specs. It should be VERY fast with all that RAM and that sweet processor.
  • Reply 96 of 433
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Hardware wise, it looks like a great product. One could even say it's better hardware than the iPad. Windows 7, from what I've heard, is a nice product. Everyone I've spoken to says its leaps and bounds better than XP and Vista. Price wise, it's in the ballpark...and probably aimed at the right market.

But this kind of product demonstrates the real failure of the Windows/Microsoft ecosystem. It's not an integrated system. It's two systems that are made to run together (even if they do so quite well). In the Mac vs. PC world that existed up until, say, 2007...the PC had a least a compelling argument. People and businesses basically looked at their computers as a two part system comprised of hardware and software. Microsoft did a fantastic job of making their software run on nearly every system, and Windows became ubiquitous. As went Windows, so too did the PC market.

Now though, the game has changed. The iPad is not hardware and software...it's a product unto itself (as is the iPhone). It's more than the sum of its parts and is a real "game changer," so to speak. This has already happened with consumers, as more and more people want an integrated product like the iPad and iPhone. The software and hardware work together seamlessly as one. While this was and is true of the Mac, the game was different then. We Mac users sung the same praises, but much of the market was still stuck in 1996-like thing. Now we have something in which the hardware and software essentially CANNOT be separated.

I think that next step is that businesses are going to start seeing value in Apple's "closed" system, just as consumers have. That, in short, is why I think products like this are going to fail--or at least "not succeed fully."
  • Reply 97 of 433
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:

"run on this device"(1) and "run smooth enough to actaually be usable on a tablet"(2) are NOT the same.

So, 1. Yes, Office will run,

2. You guessed it - no.
  • Reply 98 of 433
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Loptimist View Post

all i want to know is battery life of this device.

everything else, i can tolerate.

According to Reuters, the HP Slate 500 will fit a full-version of Windows 7 into a 1.5 pound tablet with an 8.9-inch multi-touch screen and a 5-hour battery life. With 64GB of Flash storage, the device is $100 more than the comparable 64GB iPad. The tablet will reportedly have a 1024-by-600-pixel resolution.
  • Reply 99 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

Could you provide evidence that the XBox is *still* a financial hole? They are selling a lot, and I really doubt they aren't already in the green. Kinect will be a huge success too, so I don't think that XBox really counts as a failure. At least they are shipping real products with real impressive innovation, and they will have the possibility (will they have the vision?) to make a similar move of Apple "Back to Mac", and bring kinect technology "back to pc". Yes, multitouch on the vertical screen may be stupid, but kinect tech may bring incredible novelties on the future UIs of operating systems.

I know it's easy to do a big MS landslide of snark remarks, but I think that Xbox really stands out from the general mediocrity provided by MS. Windows 7 is also not really that bad.

"bring kinect technology 'back to pc'" - Now that is a very good idea! We already have folks looking like schizophrenics talking to themselves while on their bluetooth earpieces. Soon we'll be seeing them do the Ballmer dance every time they want to type an email in their tablet PCs.
  • Reply 100 of 433
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

Damn that thing looks sweet! [...] Until we see them, we know basically nothing except that it has GREAT specs. It should be VERY fast with all that RAM and that sweet processor.

Sarcasm, right?