HP releasing $799 Slate 500 to take on iPad in tablet market

Comments

• Reply 161 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

Once you figure in the 17 Gigs for a full version of windows 7 before it starts to bloat and the relatively large size of Windows programs like Office, there wont be much space left so you will need to add more flash and 2 gigs of ram sounds like a minimum for running 7 efficiently. Wait, does this thing have a cdrom? How will you get all of those wonderful full programs on CD installed? And battery life will be a joke!!

From the HP website:

This system may require upgraded and/or separately purchased hardware and/or a DVD drive to install the Windows 7 software and take full advantage of Windows 7 functionality.

and:

Requires separately purchased Ultra Capacity Battery and customer download of the latest Intel graphics driver and HP BIOS. Notebook must be configured with optional Intel 80GB SSD drive and HP Illumi-Lite LED Display and requires XP operating system. Battery life will vary depending on the product model, configuration, loaded applications, features, and power management settings. The maximum capacity of the battery will decrease with time and usage.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Be happy to. Apple has absolutely no business chaining the iPad to AT&T's 3G network. You might be able to justify this in the phone space, but the iPad is not a phone and it should have been open to every carrier from day one. To do otherwise is monolithic and I think we have enough of that in this business.

Put a USB port and let users get the best service for the area of the planet they work in. Do that and anyone can buy an iPad and use it in the Enterprise space.

Any questions class?

Yes. So why is Verizon going to be selling them then?

Quote:

What's the difference? It doesn't work on all carriers right now.

If you are a business person and you are on the road and need to stay connected and you work in an area with poor ATT coverage, you will not buy an iPad and you may get this HP thing with the USB port. That is bad for Apple's business which affects the stock holders.

Get it?

So why is Verizon selling them then? Oh ya, because you can get a wifi 3g hotspot!

Do you get it now?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

You seem to have very particular attitudes. IMO, the vast majority of consumers think different from you.

Anti-virus, for example, usually comes preinstalled, and is a "set it and forget it" background process. And the number of people who use iWork instead of Office is a rounding error.

I think that what is important to you is irrelevant to the typical consumer.

Set it and forget it, except for updates (hope you get the latest before the virus of the week slams you), and popups, and lost performance and, of course, your subscription.

I think that what you think is irrelevant to you is important to the typical consumer.

I can not understand people that troll Apple forums for the fun of it. Or maybe they are that upset about Apple's success.
  • Reply 162 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Iphtashu Fitz View Post

Because the tablet runs Windows 7 and Windows 7 isn't designed for you to interact with via your fingers. Just try touching the maximize button in the corner of a window with your index finger. You might get lucky and maximize it, or you might minimize it, or you might close it altogether. iOS is designed from the ground up to be able to work with a pointing device as large as a finger. Windows 7 isn't. To navigate many of the UI features in Windows you need something with a much finer point than a finger.

MacOS X wasn't designed to be accessed via your finger either. But Apple was able to rewrite what is essentially the Finder to be finger accessible for the iPhone. Why do you doubt that Microsoft can't also put a finger-based interface in front of Windows?
  • Reply 163 of 433
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

What does this mean? Please elaborate.

It means lose the "book" from "netbook"
  • Reply 164 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

HP will never even come close in sales to the i pad.They quality control and customer service stinks.

doesn't HP own webos? it is very nice. why not use it instead of windows???
  • Reply 165 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

I don't see why people would buy this over a laptop/netbook? W7 may have some touch feature to it but it is still built to be used with a mouse and keyboard.

Why would somebody buy an iPad instead of a MacBook? Same story.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Until MS builds an OS that is touch based from the ground up, it just doesn't work. At least for me.

Microsoft has certainly done such a thing for Windows Phone. Why do you believe they can't do the same for Windows 7? It's essentially just a shell in front of the OS. As the iPhone interface is to the back end OS (a stripped down version of MacOS X).
  • Reply 166 of 433
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:

You want to ban somebody for saying something that you don't agree with? Because they quote material that you didn't provide yourself? You'd prefer that everyone just wore Apple-supplied blinders?

I don't want to ban anybody. I use the ignore feature. That way I can get the interesting tidbits without seeing the undesirable posts.
  • Reply 167 of 433
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

They will, but it takes time to write a proper OS. Simply resizing WebOS for smartphone isn?t going to cut it. Android is also being rewritten to take advantage of the larger displays.
  • Reply 168 of 433
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mytdave View Post

My install of MacOS X 10.6.4 is 11.07GB - still less than Windows if your numbers are accurate. I don't know how you got only 9GB unless you've removed stuff.

Come to think of it, I have removed a couple of things so 11.07GB is probably more accurate.

14 and 20GB are from microsofts windows 7 sys requirements webpage.
  • Reply 169 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

Because different people buy different products? Because one size rarely fits all?
  • Reply 170 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Did you see the part about a whole extra slide out panel to display the paper stick on license MS insist is there on all pre installed Windows machines? How 21st Century eh?

Am I missing the sarcasm? This is the 21st century. How "today"?
  • Reply 171 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

So why is Verizon selling them then? Oh ya, because you can get a wifi 3g hotspot!

Do you get it now?

So I'm supposed to add another contraption to the cart to make my device work? All for the glory of having a revolutionary iPad? That sounds insane to me. How about you? Before you answer, turn off the RDF and put down the Apple pie and think for a minute.

Are you gettin' it?
  • Reply 172 of 433
    Hey, you might want to purchase this. This will be one of those devices that will sell about 500 units and then be a novelty in about 10 years because only 500 sold.

Then it will be worth a lot of money and you can resell it on eBay
  • Reply 173 of 433
    Quote:

So I'm supposed to add another contraption to the cart to make my device work?

Only if the device is an iPad. The HP has a port so that it is convenient to hook up to any cell service.
  • Reply 174 of 433
    Quote:

I don't want to ban anybody. I use the ignore feature. That way I can get the interesting tidbits without seeing the undesirable posts.

I guess "undesirable" is in the beauty of the beholder. Those posts are certainly part of the discussion. Since this is an Apple-based forum, I can understand your desire to see things that promote Apple products. But to blind yourself to opposing viewpoints is silly. Just roll with the punches. Ask people to explain themselves if they're just spouting nonsense. Ignore the ones that you think are just trying to get you riled.
  • Reply 175 of 433
    Quote:

Because different people buy different products? Because one size rarely fits all?

a fool and his/her money...
  • Reply 176 of 433
    Quote:

It means "I love Apple. I am one of us".

I guess I'm not one of "us". I do enjoy quite a few Apple products. But Apple the company? I'm not one of the bigger fans.
  • Reply 177 of 433
    Quote:

Damn that thing looks sweet!

I'll be very interested in the actual hands-on reviews. Until we see them, we know basically nothing except that it has GREAT specs. It should be VERY fast with all that RAM and that sweet processor.

It does look pretty great, it looks like, like, kind of like... an iPad! Except it's a little fat.

I don't think the specs are that great however... it's the bare minimum for Windows 7 to run - or were you being sarcastic?
  • Reply 178 of 433
    Quote:

I guess "undesirable" is in the beauty of the beholder. Those posts are certainly part of the discussion. Since this is an Apple-based forum, I can understand your desire to see things that promote Apple products. But to blind yourself to opposing viewpoints is silly. Just roll with the punches. Ask people to explain themselves if they're just spouting nonsense. Ignore the ones that you think are just trying to get you riled.

OK. I'll take your advice.

Please explain to me why you think I have a "desire to see [only?] things that promote Apple products"?
  • Reply 179 of 433
    Quote:

So I'm supposed to add another contraption to the cart to make my device work?

If you want your iPad to work on another carrier besides AT&T, then yes, you'll need another contraption. But then again, it also gives you the same capability for additional devices. Your laptop for instance (should you carry it and an iPad at the same time) could use the same connection. Your friends, each with an iPad, could share the connection.

That extra contraption does bring additional functionality. It's not just another thing to carry around.
  • Reply 180 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

"...It's really like a full-function PC, it runs Windows..."

that's all i need to know. bring on the iPad.

Bang on!