HP releasing $799 Slate 500 to take on iPad in tablet market

Comments

• Reply 201 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

This I?m aware, but even on the Restore Disc, IIRC, before being installed they take more than 8GB. The new iLife 11 DMG is about 3GB.

Aren't printer drivers in Snow Leopard like at least 2GB. IIRC whenever I install I uncheck printer drivers and that saves at least that amount of space. Correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Reply 202 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

iOS is based on MacOS X. Do you believe all of MacOS X is installed on your iPhone? Why do you assume all of Windows 7 will be installed on a tablet?

Of course this does lead to a question. Why Windows 7? As a user, you might want a Windows 7 based tablet because of all the applications certified to run on that OS. But in a stripped down environment, is there any guarantee all those apps will run? I think vendors will have to rebuild their apps for this new environment. They will probably have a head start since the apps already exist and already run under Windows 7. But they'll still have to do some work to make them run on a tablet.

iOS is based on, and is a fraction of the size of OS X as lots of stuff is left out. This HP slate is nothing more than a netbook without a keyboard. The information states it has Win 7 home premium installed. So, yes, full Windows is installed (home premium). If your Windows app will run on a netbook, it should also run on this HP slate.
  • Reply 203 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ispeakinsong View Post

I don't get this... When Apple developed the iPad, they positioned it as an entertainment device, meant more for content consumption as opposed to full productivity. The HP Slate appears to be more of a tablet netbook with Windows 7, which seems like it's aimed towards people who want more productivity from a tablet. What I don't understand is: if you wanted Windows 7 on something really portable, why you wouldn't get a netbook instead? The lack of a physical keyboard highly reduces the productivity of a tablet, and the underpowered netbook specs and limited flash memory don't go well with a full Windows 7. Sure, the screen will be nicer for when you do want to want watch videos and whatnot, but is it worth it at twice the price of a netbook?

Bingo.
  • Reply 204 of 433
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Wow, lot of trolling going on. Do they pay by the post like banner ad clicks?
  • Reply 205 of 433
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by doyourownthing View Post

the ram and processor comparison really don't mean much since they don't run the same software

a good attempt at pointing out a strength which may or may not be there (we all know windows though...)

Here's another comparison chart:

• Reply 206 of 433
    Quote:

MacOS X wasn't designed to be accessed via your finger either. But Apple was able to rewrite what is essentially the Finder to be finger accessible for the iPhone. Why do you doubt that Microsoft can't also put a finger-based interface in front of Windows?

Because they haven't done it. Apple rewrote the entire UI, because it's made of modular components in their OS. Windows not so. MS has only written a touch-UI layer that sits atop their regular UI - and coherence breaks down, a lot. And, in regards to the HP slate we're talking about in this thread, the info states it's running HP's touch-UI on top of Windows - third party, not even from MS.
  • Reply 207 of 433
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Aren't printer drivers in Snow Leopard like at least 2GB. IIRC whenever I install I uncheck printer drivers and that saves at least that amount of space. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I thought that was one of the things they removed from SL, making printer drivers installable upon demand.
  • Reply 208 of 433
    Quote:

But in a stripped down environment, is there any guarantee all those apps will run? I think vendors will have to rebuild their apps for this new environment. They will probably have a head start since the apps already exist and already run under Windows 7. But they'll still have to do some work to make them run on a tablet.

Adobe has released a version of Photoshop that runs on the iPad and iPhone.

Intuit has released a version of QuickBooks for the iPad.

Netflix has released a version of their software for the iPad and iPhone.

None of these apps existed before the iPhone/iPad was available. Apple didn't have to kludge together a version of OS-X for these devices so that existing versions of these products could run on iPads when they first became available. So the vendors had to do some work to make these versions run on a tablet - big deal. Making yet another kludge to shoehorn a desktop OS and all the desktop apps onto a PC the size of a tablet is not a viable long term solution. Microsoft has attempted this how many times now? What makes this attempt any different when the OS is essentially still the same?
  • Reply 209 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

I think that's the battery....

Stylus = fail. But then Windows is going to need a stylus, so Windows = fail too.

A stylus doesn't always equal fail! Especially for people that want to take advantage of built in handwriting recognition in multiple languages that Apple products are sorely lacking. I'd love an iPad, but no handwriting rcognition no go for me. I read and write fluent Japanese and typing in Japanese on the iPad can be infuriatingly slow. Handwriting would be so useful.
  • Reply 210 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Windows 7. Unless you are one of those extreme Apple fanboys that worships Steve Jobs every night before you go to bed and believe Windows and Linux cause cancer.

There's plenty wrong with Windows 7: the UI is hideous, Control Panel is a clusterfuck, the start menu is a cluster fuck too, Windows Explorer makes Finder look awesome. And my HTPC reset all it's settings last night so I could no longer Remote Desktop into it. It really is just rubbish.

Same pig, different colour lipstick.
  • Reply 211 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

I think that's the battery....

Stylus = fail. But then Windows is going to need a stylus, so Windows = fail too.

Well, I'm not an average user by far, but I will be lining up to buy one of these to replace my current HP TouchSmart laptop/tablet.

Stylus=succeed for me.

I have one application, SACRemote, that runs on a PC and I've been waiting for a decent tablet that runs full Windows 7 on which to run it. The TouchSmart has been okay, but it's a bit heavy and cumbersome to use when carrying around in FOH (Front of House) mixing a band.

Yeah, I'd love it if the SAC (Software Audio Console) developer created an iPad application. That, however, isn't going to happen. So something like this will be a godsend for SAC users (granted, not *that* many of us).

I think you'll find that this device will be reasonably successful in its intended market - vertical business applications. It's not a consumer-oriented media consumption device (though some winheads might insist on using it that way just to avoid buying an Apple device). It probably won't sell as well as the iPad (not even close), but I suspect it will be at least as successful as other HP TouchSmart devices (which don't seem to be doing too badly).
  • Reply 212 of 433
    I am so happy, I am getting one asap,

I will partition the disk right away just in case, defragment it once to have a fresh start,

update windows with the most recent patches, install few drivers. And oh! I am a power user,

I will also fine tune my antivirus and firewall settings and change my background.

Connecting to the web will be such a breeze using window's connection manager assistant.

Then I will install my favorite desktop applications. Lets not forget a usb keyboard and mouse

to use them...

Then, here it is ! fully bloated [edit: I meant blown] ms words on windows on my tablet !

Suck that iPad.

[edited for typo]
  • Reply 213 of 433
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

Let's all continue to bash a product we've never used or even have the full specs on.

The pot calling the kettle black?
  • Reply 214 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

Here's another comparison chart:

I would be great to show all the screens at the same scale so you can see their relative sizes.
  • Reply 215 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cummje View Post

A stylus doesn't always equal fail! Especially for people that want to take advantage of built in handwriting recognition in multiple languages that Apple products are sorely lacking. I'd love an iPad, but no handwriting rcognition no go for me. I read and write fluent Japanese and typing in Japanese on the iPad can be infuriatingly slow. Handwriting would be so useful.

The problem with this is that Windows isn't designed for Touch, so you're going to need that stylus all the time, either that or be constantly correcting yourself as you keep touching the wrong controls.
  • Reply 216 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Slate 500 comes with a "digital stylus pen"

Just curious, do you type with the stylus then?
  • Reply 217 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cummje View Post

I was under the impression that the iPad already has Japanese handwriting input. I know they have Chinese.
  • Reply 218 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I was under the impression that the iPad already has Japanese handwriting input. I know they have Chinese.

On the iPhone they have Japanese and Chinese, Arabic and many others, I'm not sure why they wouldn't have them on the iPad.
  • Reply 219 of 433
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    For 799USD I'd rather buy 2 netbooks of better specs. epic fail hp on this part.

I do love your Z800 dual xeon 24 core workstations though as i use one of them for work. HP can do better!
  • Reply 220 of 433
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

It's not a consumer-oriented media consumption device (though some winheads might insist on using it that way just to avoid buying an Apple devic

I'd say that because it:

Has a regular aspect ratio;

Will handle all popular codecs;

Has a USB host port; and

Will play all web videos

it may be the best consumer-oriented media content consumption device currently on the market.

IMO, anything that isn't capable of the above is not something I'd consider buying. But I've been known to think different.

I'll have to wait until these products are mature before I back any of the colts and fillies currently out there.