Apple: Not preinstalling Flash on Macs ensures users have latest version

Comments

• Reply 41 of 135
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

1) It’s so odd that the posters that hate Apple having any control or success are now the ones that think it should be Apple’s responsibility to inform you that Flash needs to be updated.

2) I’m always bemused by the phrase “would that be so hard” when the objection obviously isn’t an issue of difficulty, but of other considerations. “Why doesn’t Adobe include ClickToFlash with Flash? Would that be so hard?”

3) Why not come at this simple issue objectively? Would that be so hard?

I agree with most of what you said. Apple notifies you about updates on the iPhone for apps? they could do the same thing with Flash if they are so concerned about it. also on the flip side if Adobe complains about Apple actions.... then yes they NEED to provide an update vehicle for their own products!!! that was not my point in my response. There are ways for both companies to provide a solution.

Edit: I mean "would that be so hard" :-)
  • Reply 42 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

I agree with most of what you said. Apple notifies you about updates on the iPhone for apps? they could do the same thing with Flash if they are so concerned about it. also on the flip side if Adobe complains about Apple actions.... then yes they NEED to provide an update vehicle for their own products!!! that was not my point in my response. There are ways for both companies to provide a solution.

Edit: I mean "would that be so hard" :-)

If Adobe bitches to the Feds about Flash not shipping with Macs then they need to bitch about some of the PC manufacturers for not shipping flash with some of the windows PC just to be fair.

I don't see Adobe complaining about Apple's action with the Airs. Apple is not banning flash, they're just not preinstalling it.
  • Reply 43 of 135
    From your new Macbook Air and/or future Macs, go to this site..

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

And move on with your life..

If you feel so strongly about Apple not shipping Flash with new Macs, and just don't want the hassle of making a few clicks in Adobe's website to install Flash yourself then go get a Windows PC that comes with Flash preinstalled.
  • Reply 44 of 135
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by godrifle View Post

Logically inaccurate. The change ensures that new purchasers will not have any version of Flash.

Yes. This is correct. Apple is spinning it very cleverly. But they are trowing up a barrier to use/adoption for Flash. They are pulling out the stops to try and wound or even kill off Flash. Good for them.
  • Reply 45 of 135
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Makes sense, but flash also comes with an auto updater.
  • Reply 46 of 135
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

I agree with most of what you said. Apple notifies you about updates on the iPhone for apps? they could do the same thing with Flash if they are so concerned about it.

They are doing that with Mac App Store coming within 90 days. If you didn’t see the event On Wednesday I suggest watching it. This was really pretty slick for a desktop OS and the first truly simple way for the average user to find, install and keep an updated.

But will Apple allow plugins and codec packs and other non-apps in the Mac App Store? Imagine the percentage of Macs with an updated version of Adobe Flash compared to Windows if Apple allows it and Adobe uses it.

edit: Apple won’t allow plug-ins. Standalone apps, only. At least for now. That stinks because the most common thing install on new Macs are not standalone apps.
  • Reply 47 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Brilliant. Love this point of view.

"Would that be so hard" is basically a straw man argument contained in one phrase.

I was just sent this clip from The Big Bang Theory. Go to 40 seconds into the clip.
  • Reply 48 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Jobs said they would go to an open standards body the next day. He did not say that the standards committee would have it reviewed, ratified, and have it delivered on a milled aluminium platter to you the next day.

That's not what I meant. When Steve said that he'd make FaceTime an open standard, I thought they would publicly make the entire source code that Apple had compiled so far, available on the Web on the following day. The API's are still being held within Apple. The public can't download them, nor can outside companies see the code. If I remember correctly, Skype and Qik both were interested in integrating Facetime code into their mobile and non-mobile applications, yet they still don't have access to the API's.

That's what I meant by "open". I wasn't expecting a ratified standard available the following day of Steve's keynote. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Edit: Also, some posters mentioned that a prompt often comes up when Flash content can't play because of a lack of a plug in, in which they can download Flash. Those posters make sense.
  • Reply 49 of 135
    doroteadorotea Posts: 323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blackintosh View Post

Everybody who NEEDS it to view their favorite websites. That's how many.

My favorite websites don't use flash!
  • Reply 50 of 135
    Apple is never going to ban Flash from Macs. With this strategy, they're letting consumers choose to let Flash die by itself or let it live on. Will Flash ever die? Maybe. Maybe not. We won't find out for a few more years. It's up to the consumers to decide.

Talk about CHOICE which Adobe has been preaching lately. By not preinstalling Flash on Macs.. Well, Apple is letting people CHOOSE and decide whether they want Flash or not.
  • Reply 51 of 135
    it's not that you will have to go, download latest version on java, adobe sites. it's a plan that Apple will block to use them on mac near the future. of course, they will create something alternative. but what's the point? Apple recently has done very arrogant way to change market. for consumers, it's fine. but for professional IT, it can't be acceptable. I don't like something that Apple just wants to block them because performance issue? so that's why gaming on mac is so sloppy, lagging? flash, Java need all internet browsers for 99%. so Apple does that for 1%? they make so many restrictions. I become to hate it. if they open mac os x license, then they will lose the entire market. windows will win again. this is kind of healing, satisfaction way what Apple does todays. something is wrong.

I don't know recently I am not interested in any mac apple event. I don't even watch damn quicktime special event anymore. it's was a good until 2008. I have three macs. now I think about selling all.
  • Reply 52 of 135
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mikemikeb View Post

That's not what I meant. When Steve said that he'd make FaceTime an open standard, I thought they would publicly make the entire source code that Apple had compiled so far, available on the Web on the following day. The API's are still being held within Apple. The public can't download them, nor can outside companies see the code. If I remember correctly, Skype and Qik both were interested in integrating Facetime code into their mobile and non-mobile applications, yet they still don't have access to the API's.

A standard is a specification. Source code is an implementation. If Apple hasn't posted specifications good enough for devs to make their own implementations, then I think it's time they did. But that doesn't mean Apple needs to release source code.
  • Reply 53 of 135
    LOL I love “the sky is falling” posts. Hey edwardryu, let me know when Apple releases their Java killer. WIll it be called Guava?
  • Reply 54 of 135
    Too bad Oracle/Sun doesn't build a JVM for Mac OS X...not currently at least
  • Reply 55 of 135
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brucep View Post

puullleezzzzeeeeee

How many will never ever bother to down load flash .

I am happy at the new html 5 coming forth to take over the whole game.

Probably the whole reason Apple is doing it.

I don't know if there would ever be a way to tell but it would be interesting to see the numbers of Adobe Flash by new Mac computer owners.

Adobe can probably use the numbers to figure it out and who knows maybe Steve will be right again about his open letter regarding Flash and that with HTML5 there are alternatives. Adobe wakes up.
  • Reply 56 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edwardryu View Post

it's not that you will have to go, download latest version on java, adobe sites. it's a plan that Apple will block to use them on mac near the future. of course, they will create something alternative. but what's the point? Apple recently has done very arrogant way to change market. for consumers, it's fine. but for professional IT, it can't be acceptable. I don't like something that Apple just wants to block them because performance issue? so that's why gaming on mac is so sloppy, lagging? flash, Java need all internet browsers for 99%. so Apple does that for 1%? they make so many restrictions. I become to hate it. if they open mac os x license, then they will lose the entire market. windows will win again. this is kind of healing, satisfaction way what Apple does todays. something is wrong.

I don't know recently I am not interested in any mac apple event. I don't even watch damn quicktime special event anymore. it's was a good until 2008. I have three macs. now I think about selling all.

How much are you selling your Macs for? What are they? If your selling it at a good deal I'm sure some of the people here would be interested in taking it off your hands and end whatever anger or indifference you have with Apple.
  • Reply 57 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

A standard is a specification. Source code is an implementation. If Apple hasn't posted specifications good enough for devs to make their own implementations, then I think it's time they did. But that doesn't mean Apple needs to release source code.

It’s now been about 6 months. That should be enough time to get it all in order.

I assumed the purpose of making it an open standard was to finally have a video chat standard that could potentially be universal among all computing devices. I can’t imagine they reneged after the event so what could be holding it up?

edit: I can’t find a mention of FaceTime being eventually opened up. Maybe they changed their mind after seeing it was a reason people wanted the iPhone.
  • Reply 58 of 135
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A Flash is the number one reason for crashes on the Mac platform.

What then is number two?
  • Reply 59 of 135
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

What then is number two?

Flash also?
  • Reply 60 of 135
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post

? And #2, if they bundle it into their OS, then customers expect Apple to support it..

Hrrrmmmmmm..........you can buy a Mac with Microsoft Office preinstalled. If your reasoning is correct, will Apple continue to do such a foolish thing?

"I went into the Apple Store, and they recommended all sorts of stuff that I bought directly from the Apple Store. Everything on my Mac is from Apple. Everything.

I even bought all sorts of add-ons and accesories, spending thousands of dollars!

And you won't support what you sold me?!"

C'mon. If your reasoning was accurate, then I don't think that any third-party anything would be sold on/with a Mac. But that happens every moment of every day.