HP releasing $799 Slate 500 to take on iPad in tablet market

Comments

• Reply 221 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

How much is a full installation of OS x in disk space? Itunes? I suspect the the bloatiness of apps is a lot closer than you think.

I think is less than 10 GB but that is for computers. Windows 7 is double or more.
  • Reply 222 of 433
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FrdSllS View Post

And oh! I am a power user, I will also ... change my background.

Good one.
  • Reply 223 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

I would be great to show all the screens at the same scale so you can see their relative sizes.

Agreed. They missed the chance to easily supply additional information.
  • Reply 224 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FrdSllS View Post

I am so happy, I am getting one asap,

I will partition the disk right away just in case, defragment it once to have a fresh start,

update windows with the most recent patches, install few drivers. And oh! I am a power user,

I will also fine tune my antivirus and firewall settings and change my background.

Connecting to the web will be such a breeze using window's connection manager assistant.

Then I will install my favorite desktop applications. Lets not forget a usb keyboard and mouse

to use them...

Then, here it is ! fully bloated [edit: I meant blown] ms words on windows on my tablet !

Suck that iPad.

[edited for typo]

What about windows defender updates? Mine Windows computers needs update every day.
  • Reply 225 of 433
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

I would be great to show all the screens at the same scale so you can see their relative sizes.

I was thinking the same thing, but at least the stats are disinterested.
  • Reply 226 of 433
    Atom, the windows 7 dog, a stylus...

What the heck did they buy palm for?

6 months later this is all they can come up with?

I can't believe these guys...
  • Reply 227 of 433
    This tablet will look good... next to Cisco's $600 + $25/month Umi, home video conferencing add-on for HDTV.
  • Reply 228 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

I'd say that because it:

Has a regular aspect ratio;

Will handle all popular codecs;

Has a USB host port; and

Will play all web videos

it may be the best consumer-oriented media content consumption device currently on the market.

IMO, anything that isn't capable of the above is not something I'd consider buying. But I've been known to think different.

I'll have to wait until these products are mature before I back any of the colts and fillies currently out there.

What is a regular aspect ratio? Are you joking?

So does the ipad, check vlc and o player. Just because you are not aware of something doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

A usb port is like any other port, the ipad has the camera connection kit too. What would you want to connect via usb anyway when you can connect anything wirelessly. That's like saying a cart is more airy than convertible car.

Ipad has tons of apps that play all web videos too.

Better luck next time.

If you 'd ever actually used an atom on a netbook (let alone a slimmer tablet) you 'd know enough to just look the other.
  • Reply 229 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Wow, lot of trolling going on. Do they pay by the post like banner ad clicks?

Lol, probably. Bummer if these guys are not getting paid for all their hard idiotic work, maybe we could start a charity thread for these guys.
  • Reply 230 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kakeroat View Post

competition is always good for consumers

No, GOOD competent and innovative competition is good for consumers ... and this new HP tablet is not it. You have over 10 years of failed MS tablets, HOW is this one ANY different? HOW?
  • Reply 231 of 433
    Quote:

The ability to watch web videos of one's choice? The ability to run regular software, instead of stripped-down apps? The abililty to buy software from the vendor of your own choice, instead of having only one vendor?

Does the HP have an HDMI port? Will it output 5.1 sound? Does it use a standard aspect ratio? Can I use a touchpad when I put it in a dock, so I don't have to stretch my arm to point?

Dunno, but I think that Apple has some room to grow. I think that putting a cellphone OS on a computer was a huge mistake.

Non of what you just said applies to the business use of the device which the HP device is targeted to. Businesses aren't picky about vendor choice when buying software. As long as the software they want is available from one vendor, they are good to go. Or, if they are big enough, they write their own software.

The rest, HDMI port, 5.1 sound, whatever you mean by a standard aspect ratio, a dock, cup holder, etc., are not essential features for this kind of a device. The point is Apple does have room to grow and enhance their tablet product line, but this thing from HP has nothing to offer in the form of must-have features that Apple would care about. Well, apart from a camera, which I understand the iPad frame has already the space preconfigured for it.
  • Reply 232 of 433
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

What is a regular aspect ratio?

On tablets, the ?regular? aspect ratio is 4:3 because the iPad has a near 100% of the tablet market. Of course, it?s impossible for an aspect ratio to be obsolete, which is oddly how many described it back when it was demoed at the start of the year.
  • Reply 233 of 433
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

We do know one thing.... it has windows on it....and windows 7 at that. eeek!

as much as most, if not all, of us love Apple products, to dismiss Windows 7 so flippantly is an example of absolute ignorance. as for the HP Slate product, it will definitely face strong competition from the iPad and, perhaps, other similar devices in the next year or so.
  • Reply 234 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

So does the ipad, check vlc and o player.

Here's the first few reviews from the iStore:

Customer Reviews

does not work

by kon646

Installed it, connected to itunes as directed, loaded files in the shared files window on my MBP, synced.....nothing. iPad VLC app shows no files loaded.

Should be called ALN (Audio LAN Client)

by John Fischetti

I have high hopes for this app, but unfortunately every video i've thrown at it only plays audio.

The video files i've tried are around 700x300px, .avi files averaging around 1.2 - 1.4 gb in size

mkvs make the app crash!

by Xatanas

I love the idea of VLC on the iPad, but after adding different mkvs, the app simply crashes. I tried various combinations and even uploading only them one by one and letting each alone in the app to no avail. Sorry it's just not good enough.
  • Reply 235 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by peter02l View Post

Non of what you just said applies to the business use of the device which the HP device is targeted to.

HP has nothing to offer in the form of must-have features that Apple would care about. Well, apart from a camera, which I understand the iPad frame has already the space preconfigured for it.

It seems that you consider a camera to be a "must-have" feature for a device to be suitable for business. The iPad does not have a camera.

Do you think that the iPad is not suitable for business use in its current configuration?
  • Reply 236 of 433
    emacs72emacs72 Posts: 356member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by simtub View Post

For 799USD I'd rather buy 2 netbooks of better specs. epic fail hp on this part.

the price for the Slate is higher than i expected

Quote:

I do love your Z800 dual xeon 24 core workstations ...

isn't the Z800 a two (2) socket workstation? you must mean 24 logical processors because the X5600 series Xeons are hyper-threaded.
  • Reply 237 of 433
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    For all the people who are mysteriously convinced that we underestimate the Mightyness of Windows 7 at our peril: so why haven't previous Windows tablets, very much like this Windows tablet, never really gone anywhere in the market?

Yes, there are certain vertical markets that use these things, I bet they'll use this one as well. But those sales are a drop in the bucket compared to the iPad market and don't bode to have any bearing on the future direction of tablet computing. As such, it's of passing interest but not particularly noteworthy.

And yes, I know that Windows 7 has New Special Touch Enhancements, but we all know they're modest and not really all that much of an improvement over the previous iterations-- which is why this tablet still comes with a stylus.

Honestly, can anyone give me a reason why this tablet might fare any differently than all the previous Windows tablets? Seems to me that all that's really changed is that now there's an iPad to compare it to, which allows for the usual "Bwa ha Windows is for real work" platform nonsense. Apparently, given its track record, Windows on a tablet is for a very limited type of work.
  • Reply 238 of 433
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    So let me get this straight, HP's new tablet is soley aimed at business and enterprise only, well what use does any enterprise have with a device that is limited in scope such as this thing running a full blown windows 7 operating system? I mean it does not even have a keyboard, an overpriced netbook is all I see here. I'm so glad my purchase of the iPad was a sane one, there truly is nothing else out there that can and will compete with the iPad in the forseeable future.
  • Reply 239 of 433
    Quote:

Here's the first few reviews from the iStore:

Customer Reviews

does not work

by kon646

Installed it, connected to itunes as directed, loaded files in the shared files window on my MBP, synced.....nothing. iPad VLC app shows no files loaded.

Should be called ALN (Audio LAN Client)

by John Fischetti

I have high hopes for this app, but unfortunately every video i've thrown at it only plays audio.

The video files i've tried are around 700x300px, .avi files averaging around 1.2 - 1.4 gb in size

mkvs make the app crash!

by Xatanas

I love the idea of VLC on the iPad, but after adding different mkvs, the app simply crashes. I tried various combinations and even uploading only them one by one and letting each alone in the app to no avail. Sorry it's just not good enough.

Rubish. I have both o player and vlc and they both work great. I don't know if these guys have messed up settings or they are trying to play some 5gb mkv or what? If you think the atom, lol, will play these better be my guest. It's yor money.
  • Reply 240 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pennywse View Post

No, GOOD competent and innovative competition is good for consumers ... and this new HP tablet is not it. You have over 10 years of failed MS tablets, HOW is this one ANY different? HOW?

Exactly, why didn't they put web os on a tablet?

They pulled the scheduled slate they had from the market, waited for 6 months more and came up with the vey same atom and windows 7 crap 6 months after.

Talk about a great strategy.