Apple introduces iLife '11 with updated versions of iPhoto, iMovie

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 65
    Very weak update. Dont use garageband or imovie, and just the update to iphoto does not make it worth the price to purchase the bundled ilife11.

Like a lot of ppl on here say, no iweb update makes it worth dumping as a program. What a piece of crap. Probably a sign that Apple's software development team is overloaded and fatigued.

Guess i will wait to buy iphoto 11 separately when Mac App Store is up.
  • Reply 62 of 65
    shaminoshamino Posts: 527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasenj1 View Post

That sucks. Many cameras - including the iPhone & iPod Touch - do both stills and video. Manually having to choose which application to import into is silly. iPhoto & iMovie should have a shared or integrated library. I'll see what the new version is like when it shows up, but I hope the line between managing assets from still cameras and video cameras has been blurred a lot.

The Mac simply looks for a "DCIM" directory on the attached media to decide if it's a camera or not. If it is, then the "camera attach" action (as configured via the Image Capture utility's preferences) is performed. This is why merely attaching an SD card reader with a camera's card attached (or my Android phone) will cause iPhoto to launch.

If this is a problem, you can also go into Image Capture and set the camera-attach action to not launch any app. Then a camera will show up just like a hard drive, and you'll have to launch iPhoto (or iMovie) manually. Depending on your usage patterns, you may prefer that.
  • Reply 63 of 65
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Good lord ya'll, iMovie 11 allows you to restore a proper timeline! Commence dancing in the streets!

You have to toggle a few preferences, but for me this makes post 06 iMove useable again (well, that and reasonable functional sound manipulation). The wrap-around clip thing was just conceptually horrible.
  • Reply 64 of 65
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I may end up skipping this update as well, since I moved to Aperture for photos and don't really use iMovie or Garageband a whole lot.

What I'm confused by is the fact that the webpage building market seems to be at a standstill.

You would think that the lack of an iWeb update would have put wind in the sails of RapidWeaver, Sandvox and Freeway. But there's been little, if any, response from them. No feature previews, rumor-mongering about the next version that conveniently appears...nothing.

I would agree that the next phase of the WYSIWYG web market is to hitch those apps to a popular CMS database (WordPress?), add HTML5 goodness and put everything in the cloud.
  • Reply 65 of 65
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shamino View Post

The Mac simply looks for a "DCIM" directory on the attached media to decide if it's a camera or not. If it is, then the "camera attach" action (as configured via the Image Capture utility's preferences) is performed. This is why merely attaching an SD card reader with a camera's card attached (or my Android phone) will cause iPhoto to launch.

I'll use iPhoto to import whatever is on my camera's SD card. Then I'll just use iMovie's iPhoto integration to get to my clips - which makes iMovie's iPhoto-like asset manager useless (for me). It seems the asset management ought to be very integrated between the two.

As one who skipped iLife '08, in part due to the gimping of iMovie, I'm pleased with '11 so far. Faces is pretty cool. I haven't figured out a way to mass assign photos a location, though. I want to assign entire albums or events at a time. There's something a bit clunky about the mapping process; possibly me just not "getting" It yet.

I also want to mass change the dates on photos. I have a bunch of film-based photos that I had CDs made from, and all the pictures are dated with the CD creation date rather than the time taken.

- Jasen.