Steve Jobs on Java: Apple-built updates 'may not be the best way'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

When you compare the way Jobs talks about Flash and Java I think there is a respect for Oracle and/or Elision.

That's because he (Elision) and Jobs are BFFs
  • Reply 22 of 47
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Nope. Those products require license keys. That violates the terms of service.

I like how you predict what happens with future versions of software and the lack of understanding of hoe AppStore software is licensed.

All App Store software is explicitly licensed to the buyer, before it ever gets installed in the target machine. Your AppleID is embedded into the file, and your machine knows whether it is authorized to play content for that AppleID. That's the exact same purpose as a license key! BUT the user never has to do anything other than authorize a computer once to use everything. Since we have been doing that for years with iTunes nobody even thinks about it anymore.

So given that, how much effort do you think it will take to patch an App that currently has a license key framework with an Apple provided API that does the same thing for almost no continuing developer effort? And if you do that you get ridiculously higher compliance rates and custom tagged files that make sharing software more dangerous for script kiddies who don't think to sanitize the files first. How many people share iTunes originated music now? Or iOS AppStore Apps?

Sure the hardcore audience does, but they are small numbers. But those script kiddies already have iTunes accounts with mommy and daddy's credit card number attached. legal apps are one click away and even easier to get than trying to find warez and warez serials that still run.
  • Reply 23 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Unrelated: would selling parallels/VMWare on the mac AppStore break the rules?

Would you have to mention Microsoft Windows or Linux when selling Parallels or VMWare through the app store? Whoops....
  • Reply 24 of 47
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Would you have to mention Microsoft Windows or Linux when selling Parallels or VMWare through the app store? Whoops....

That's why I was asking, I read that *mentioning* another OS in the description violates the terms.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Unrelated: would selling parallels/VMWare on the mac AppStore break the rules?

Yes it would. Those programs install kernel extensions so they can have greater control over your hardware.
  • Reply 26 of 47
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diddy View Post

My guess is that Java would probably violate the developer terms for the store.

Why? The terms for the Mac app store may be, and probably will be, different from those for the iOS app store.

Not to mention, we haven't seen the terms yet.
  • Reply 27 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by steveH View Post

Why? The terms for the Mac app store may be, and probably will be, different from those for the iOS app store.

Not to mention, we haven't seen the terms yet.

Yes we have: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...app_store.html
  • Reply 28 of 47
    Apple always had a strange, conflicting working dynamic with Sun, a company whose purpose became more aligned to developing technology for the sake of developing technology. Larry Ellison has always had a close, personal relationship with Jobs (and I've always believed that Larry wants to be the Apple of the Enterprise world), so maybe this is a sign that the new boss of Java is handling things differently here, or rather Jobs's personal relationship at work here.
  • Reply 29 of 47
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by striker_kk View Post

And you think Steve is not behind Oracle-Android episode?

Tinfoil hats! Black helicopters! Evil doers! Run for the bunkers!

You guys slay me! If you think Larry Ellison does anything that doesn't directly benefit either himself or Oracle (and he sees these as being one and the same), all I can say is that you've obviously never met the man. Too funny!
  • Reply 30 of 47
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by striker_kk View Post

And you think Steve is not behind Oracle-Android episode?

Yeah, because Ellison is such a passive little milquetoast that he needs other CEOs to goad him into massive litigation. Jobs is the source of all conflict and disharmony in the universe.
  • Reply 31 of 47
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

You guys slay me! If you think Larry Ellison does anything that doesn't directly benefit either himself or Oracle (and he sees these as being one and the same), all I can say is that you've obviously never met the man. Too funny!

The only way to opine on Larry Ellison is to meet him?

How about this radical scenario - Jobs and Ellison discuss stuff that could benefit both companies, like suing Goggle and Android. At the very least Oracle gets money, at best - for APple - Android is shut down.
  • Reply 32 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

How about this radical scenario - Jobs and Ellison discuss stuff that could benefit both companies, like suing Goggle and Android. At the very least Oracle gets money, at best - for APple - Android is shut down.

"Hey Larry, what say you initiate a massive, costly legal action against Google that might backfire?"

"I dunno Steve, it hadn't really occurred to me....... what's in it for Oracle?"

"Well, if you win you could get a huge settlement, and of course I'll be really grateful if you can kill our chief rival in the smartphone market dead!"

"Wow! A huge settlement you say? Really grateful? So you can do stuff for us like stopping development of Java on your platform? Why didn't I think of that! Call the lawyers!"
  • Reply 33 of 47
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

Makes sense as Microsoft does not make Java for Windows and Linux Distros do not make their own javas. they all rely on Sun/Oracle or other builds.

Yes, but the real issue will be Sun/Oracle's level of commitment to Java for Mac.
  • Reply 34 of 47
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

"Hey Larry, what say you initiate a massive, costly legal action against Google that might backfire?"

"I dunno Steve, it hadn't really occurred to me....... what's in it for Oracle?"

"Well, if you win you could get a huge settlement, and of course I'll be really grateful if you can kill our chief rival in the smartphone market dead!"

"Wow! A huge settlement you say? Really grateful? So you can do stuff for us like stopping development of Java on your platform? Why didn't I think of that! Call the lawyers!"

Did you get that from the time you met Larry - as clearly you have since you are opining on the issue and apparantly only people who have "met the man" can talk on the subject?

Did he tell you how exactly this suit could "backfire"? It's slam dunk.

CEO's talk. These two talk as friends. In the middle of a conversation, if Jobs mentioned that Google had taken a modifed version of Java for Android, and that that was clearly in violation of patents, then Larry would have called his lawyers. Or Ellison could have mentioned it to Jobs.

Or neither could have happened, it is just within the realms of probability that it did.

Quote:

So you can do stuff for us like stopping development of Java on your platform?

I would say that Oracle dont care about that one bit. MS doesnt develop Java for Windows, why would Apple be in the business of developing Java solutions I dont know, probably lack of interest by Sun back in the day.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    Quote:

Did you get that from the time you met Larry - as clearly you have since you are opining on the issue and apparantly only people who have "met the man" can talk on the subject?

Did he tell you how exactly this suit could "backfire"? It's slam dunk.

CEO's talk. These two talk as friends. In the middle of a conversation, if Jobs mentioned that Google had taken a modifed version of Java for Android, and that that was clearly in violation of patents, then Larry would have called his lawyers. Or Ellison could have mentioned it to Jobs.

Or neither could have happened, it is just within the realms of probability that it did.

Holy moly, your'e worried about mind reading but you're willing to dream this up and call it "in the realm of probability"?

You think Oracle or Ellison need Jobs to explain where infringements on their IP might be happening?

I don't need to know Ellison or be a fly on the wall to understand that big old corporations have teams of lawyers that do nothing but stay abreast of IP issues, or that initiating very large legal actions takes something more than the off-hand comments of a friendly fellow CEO.

As far as Oracle's litigation being a "slam dunk", these kinds of cases are never so cut and dried. It's always a bit of a crapshoot, US patent law being the tangle it is.
  • Reply 36 of 47
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:

Trust me, Ellison is the most singularly "me" focused individual on the face of the planet.

Dream up all the fantasy scenarios you want, but realize that Larry Ellison is in it for Larry Ellison and Larry Ellison alone.

The reason guys like Ellison and Jobs become friends is that, at that level, there are so few people in their world that don't need their help or aren't bucking for some angle financially or aren't pitching some harebrained scheme. Not all the different from why Warren Buffett and Bill Gates hang out. They can be friends because they know there isn't going to be some underlying motive to the friendship. Power can otherwise make for a lonely existence.
  • Reply 37 of 47
    shaminoshamino Posts: 527member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bullhead View Post

Makes sense as Microsoft does not make Java for Windows and Linux Distros do not make their own javas. they all rely on Sun/Oracle or other builds.

And this is wonderful, if Oracle really does start shipping a quality Java VM for the Mac. But I'll believe it when I see it.

If I remember correctly, the reason Apple started shipping their own VM was that Sun wasn't doing it, or they were releasing a low-quality version.

If Oracle doesn't ship a Java VM, or if they ship one that doesn't perform well (like how Adobe's Flash player for Mac OS doesn't perform as well as their Windows player), this decision isn't going to make a whole lot of sense.

Hopefully, Apple has considered this and is hedging its bets by continuing internal ports of Java, in order to step in, should Oracle not do what we're hoping.
  • Reply 38 of 47
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Besides Java and Flash, what other 3rd-party SW does Apple ship with Mac OS X?
  • Reply 39 of 47
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    Quote:

Trust me, Ellison is the most singularly "me" focused individual on the face of the planet.

Dream up all the fantasy scenarios you want, but realize that Larry Ellison is in it for Larry Ellison and Larry Ellison alone.

The reason guys like Ellison and Jobs become friends is that, at that level, there are so few people in their world that don't need their help or aren't bucking for some angle financially or aren't pitching some harebrained scheme. Not all the different from why Warren Buffett and Bill Gates hang out. They can be friends because they know there isn't going to be some underlying motive to the friendship. Power can otherwise make for a lonely existence.

And we know that Sun/Oracle would not cut a deal with Apple on ZFS --- the price they were asking was allegedly too high for Jobs. I'm sure Ellison's view is that business is business (I think Jobs values other things alongside: loyalty, trustworthiness, etc. He has a moral view that is not straight out of the books of Harvard business school.)
  • Reply 40 of 47
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:

Seriously!

Does anyone have a current update on the amount of fines Larry has had to pay San Jose Airport and or the commissioners of same for his blatant landings or takeoffs "after hours", violating the noise abatement hours?

I remember some time ago it was at the "several hundred thousands" mark, which to Larry is chump pocket change.