HP releasing $799 Slate 500 to take on iPad in tablet market

Comments

• Reply 241 of 433
    Let me figure this out:

Advantages of HP Slate:

1080p out (I'm going to get flamed, but this is not relevant to most people)

Runs Windows 7 (could also be considered a disadvantage)

Uses a stylus (ditto)

Faster processor (possibly - and the acid test will be responsiveness and launch times)

Disadvantages:

$100 more expensive (as 64G iPad Wifi)

Smaller screen (but same weight as ipad)

Half the battery life (but same weight as ipad)

Runs Windows 7

Uses a stylus

No instant-on

I know what tablet I prefer.
  • Reply 242 of 433
    What's the point of a 16:9 display on a device that is advertised as a business oriented product? If the object is to work on documents, presentations, spreadsheets, etc., wouldn't a 4:3 form factor be much more convenient given that the screen area is so small to begin with?

iPad screen area: 45.2 inches squared

HP Slate screen area: 33.4 inches squared

So the iPad has significantly more usable screen area than what a simple comparison of the diagonal dimensions would indicate. Basically, the HP Slate's usable screen area is 2/3 of iPad!

It looks to me like HP was initially planning to position the Slate as a low-cost personal entertainment device (as the specs and pricing in the slide posted earlier thread would indicate) but got out-priced of this market by the iPad and now they are trying to position it as a "Business" gadget...
  • Reply 243 of 433
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacKeeperFunReg View Post

Let me figure this out:

Advantages of HP Slate:

Uses a stylus (ditto)

Faster processor (possibly - and the acid test will be responsiveness and launch times)

Disadvantages:

Runs Windows 7

Uses a stylus

No instant-on

pulled out from above -- Faster processor (possibly - and the acid test will be responsiveness and launch times)

Atom processors are slow compared to modern processors, even though the Ghz ratings aren't that different. And Apples A4 isn't just a CPU, it is a package that also has the RAM on board, that means RAM access is about 500X faster than an off package RAM access that the Atom would use. That difference right there is why the Atom will fell slower on just about everything.

It's not about the specs, its about the whole system integration performance vastly outperforming the specs. These other manufacturers don't get that at all.
  • Reply 244 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hiro View Post

And Apples A4 isn't just a CPU, it is a package that also has the RAM on board, that means RAM access is about 500X faster than an off package RAM access that the Atom would use.

Would you elaborate on how you came up with the "500X faster" number in your post?
  • Reply 245 of 433
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Windows 7. Unless you are one of those extreme Apple fanboys that worships Steve Jobs every night before you go to bed and believe Windows and Linux cause cancer.

You are misinterpreting the remark. Windows 7 is a desktop OS. Microsoft has tried for about a decade to sell tablets with a desktop OS and a tablet retrofit. To say that has been a failure might be exaggerating but after the iPhone, iPad example showed how well an OS rebuilt almost from scratch could do it seems surprising to see yet another repeat of the old strategy.

You don't have to be a fanboy to see the clear difference between Apple's strategy and what is being attempted with this tablet from HP. There are many specific differences in what helps make a good OS for the tablet and cellphone form factors and someone may find an approach better than Apple's. But strapping on a "touch" interface onto a keyboard/mouse interface of a desktop OS just to get to market faster seems cynical.
  • Reply 246 of 433
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Everyone has being doing an admirable job of ignoring this fool over the last few days. I just don't understand why anyone would spend their time day after day trolling any forum. It's just weird.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

I can not understand people that troll Apple forums for the fun of it. Or maybe they are that upset about Apple's success.

Let's not pretend these people have normal motives as if they were freely contributing to a forum out of some twisted psychology. See below:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Lol, probably. Bummer if these guys are not getting paid for all their hard idiotic work, maybe we could start a charity thread for these guys.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Wow, lot of trolling going on. Do they pay by the post like banner ad clicks?

There are three or four in this thread working together by feeding each other lines. So obvious. They seem to be Eastern time zone hires so they can be first to post and warp the thread. Shameful whoring.
  • Reply 247 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

Have you ever read this forum on an iPhone? I need to constantly resize in order to use, for example, the page number buttons.

Yes, using a small touch-screen can cause the need to resize. Just like in iOS.

Dude, you are are talking about a web page that you visit, versus the built-in UI of iOS.
  • Reply 248 of 433

Don't know if it was discussed here...

... Someone on another forum brought up the fact that the HP Slate, Running Windows 7 and iTunes...

... could be used as the "pc" to initially set up an iPad...

Slate to iPad: Who's your Daddy?

... Steve-- How embarrassing! ::

I suspect we'll see a plastic thumb drive for the iPad, Real Soon, Now!

• Reply 249 of 433
    If they sell 10 of these I'll be surprised
  • Reply 250 of 433

I think HP released this tablet because:

1) It made a commitment to MS

2) It needs to maintain a good relationship with MS for the HP line of computers that use Windows

I believe that HP will also release a WebOS Tablet that is amed at the same audience as the iPad

• Reply 251 of 433
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I think HP released this tablet because:

1) It made a commitment to MS

2) It needs to maintain a good relationship with MS for the HP line of computers that use Windows

I believe that HP will also release a WebOS Tablet that is amed at the same audience as the iPad

I think that's exactly right. They likely had this mostly in the can before the iPad ever hit, so they know they're releasing it into a completely changed market. So they'll trot it out, be polite about it, sell what they can, and never speak of it again.
  • Reply 252 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I think that's exactly right. They likely had this mostly in the can before the iPad ever hit, so they know they're releasing it into a completely changed market. So they'll trot it out, be polite about it, sell what they can, and never speak of it again.

All right, I'll bite...

... what does your sig mean?

• Reply 253 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

Let's all continue to bash a product we've never used or even have the full specs on.

HP knows how to sell the Slate. Consumers won't buy it -- they're basically admitting. Corporation types who make the decisions never use the stuff they force their employees to use. HP salesman will stroke the oversized egos of corporates, which is pretty much the critical concern with these folks, and they can sell thousands and earn a big commission.

Of course, the corporate types might already own an iPad -- remember, Apple's pricing means their customers are already reasonably well off financially and can afford the more dear products -- they may penny-pinch for the employees, but never for themselves. In case you've not noticed, in this deep recession, Apple product sales are doing quite well -- Apple's customers are not the ones being foreclosed on, and laid off, in general. (At least not yet!)

HP's marketing may fail just because the iPad has established the market and is of quite high quality, especially given it's version 1.0.
  • Reply 254 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

On the iPhone they have Japanese and Chinese, Arabic and many others, I'm not sure why they wouldn't have them on the iPad.

Wrong. It has Japanese input via keyboard, but not handwriting recognition. The handwriting input is only for Chinese characters that the two languages often share, but not all characters are written the same, so not all characters written in Japanese are recognized. And writing with a finger still sucks hard.
  • Reply 255 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

The problem with this is that Windows isn't designed for Touch, so you're going to need that stylus all the time, either that or be constantly correcting yourself as you keep touching the wrong controls.

Rubbish. I've used other Windows tablets and haven't had problems. Still, they aren't as touch friendly as an iPad. But again, I'd sacrifice a bit of finger friendliness for the added advantage of a stylus in certain cases.
  • Reply 256 of 433
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

All right, I'll bite...

... what does your sig mean?

Just a phrase that pleased me from a recent forum gibberish spam. And really, who wouldn't want a carnival apportion on baby gadgets? Potent to obtain or no, I don't think you can go wrong there.
  • Reply 257 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cummje View Post

Rubbish. I've used other Windows tablets and haven't had problems. Still, they aren't as touch friendly as an iPad. But again, I'd sacrifice a bit of finger friendliness for the added advantage of a stylus in certain cases.

You are right!

The problem is this: a tablet with a pc os is a niche product.

When the iPad was announced in Jan, the pundits forecast total tablet sales for 2010 as:

-- Total tablet sales: 11 .5 units

-- Total iPad sales .5 million units

Wrong!

While what you say is correct, the world has moved on... as nicely as I can put this... It does't matter how good/bad a Windows tablet is... nobody cares!

• Reply 258 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Just a phrase that pleased me from a recent forum gibberish spam. And really, who wouldn't want a carnival apportion on baby gadgets? Potent to obtain or no, I don't think you can go wrong there.

Actually, that makes as much sense as what anyone has posted on this thread -- except for me and thee...

... and I'm not sure about thee!

• Reply 259 of 433
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Rubish. I have both o player and vlc and they both work great. I don't know if these guys have messed up settings or they are trying to play some 5gb mkv or what? If you think the atom, lol, will play these better be my guest. It's yor money.

Without question the Atom DOES play HD video better than an iPad though. My iPad simply cannot play many video files that my HP Mini has no problems with. Frankly, I'm getting tired of the "Your iPad is probably too slow to play this file" error messages. Yes, MKVs are processor intensive, but if the HP Mini can handle it, why can't the iPad using the same app?
  • Reply 260 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacKeeperFunReg View Post

Let me figure this out:

Advantages of HP Slate:

Uses a stylus (ditto)

Disadvantages:

Runs Windows 7

Uses a stylus

No instant-on

Yeah, well, it's not like a Windows tablet has never been tried before, pushed on business users, and failed. Many times. Microsoft and their hardware partners have been doing this since the early 1990s. Anyone remember these?

Compaq Tablet PC

Samsung Q1

You can run Microsoft Outlook and Office on any of these machines. They didn't sell well. All it made people do is wish they had a real laptop.

Now HP and Microsoft are back to doing more of the same thing. Somebody tell me: what's different this time?