HP releasing $799 Slate 500 to take on iPad in tablet market

Comments

• Reply 261 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Exactly, why didn't they put web os on a tablet?

They pulled the scheduled slate they had from the market, waited for 6 months more and came up with the vey same atom and windows 7 crap 6 months after.

Talk about a great strategy.

Microsoft's and HP's strategy seems to be: The halo effect. They're hoping the luster from the iPad will rub off on their tried-and-not-so-true strategy.
  • Reply 262 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

this is aimed at businesses yeah, not consumers..

.. So these would be the businesses who have spent most of 2010 testing and rolling out ipad and preparing custom software. The same businesses who also push virtualized sessions of windows whatever to their iPads with no tablet resource limits.

Ah yes, of course.. It should be an easy sell

"businesses who have spent most of 2010 testing and rolling out ipad and preparing custom software"

Love the iPad, but in my consulting job being in many different corporations this year, I have not seen this once. Sure a few people at the corporations that are not super locked down have them, but no rollouts of any kind have I seen.
  • Reply 263 of 433
    You guys have got it wrong about the stylus. This is one of the few really great things about the HP Slate. Being able to use a high-resolution pressure sensitive stylus on a device with a capacitive touchscreen is remarkable. You cannot do detailed illustration on an iPad because you cannot use a high resolution stylus. sure, you can do illustration, just not accurately enough for programs like Photoshop and accurate variable-width vector drawing. You can use a capacitive stylus like the Pogo, but its resolution is way too low for accurate illustration or handwriting.

I wish you could use a Wacom stylus on the iPad. That would be an incredible advance for artists and for handwriting recognition.
  • Reply 264 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

The new 11" MacBook Air is only rated at 5 hours of battery life. Will you denigrate it also?

In case you still don't know the MacBook Air's battery life is tested against a more stringent test that depicts a more accurate real life usage battery life.
  • Reply 265 of 433
    sambansamban Posts: 171member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

Windows 7 32bit 14gb

Windows 7 64bit 20gb

OS X 10.6.4 9gb

OS X 10.6.4 9gb 64-Bit
  • Reply 266 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by simtub View Post

EPIC FAIL on HP's behalf... I'm pretty sure it will have a noisy fan inside like most netbooks cooling the atom cpu.

No it has that ice tray
  • Reply 267 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

I was under the impression that the iPad already has Japanese handwriting input. I know they have Chinese.

I can write Chinese and yes iPad doesn't present a problem for me writing chinese characters at all.
  • Reply 268 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Using "business" in your marketing copy causes a Pavlovian response among the IT departments of the world. Especially when you are Microsoft. It's the one area where MS has any profitability, it's admittedly a large market, and that's why MS will never be able to penetrate the consumer market. Because to divert resources to consumer products would risk the all-important Windows + Office enterprise monopoly.

Apple tried to break into the enterprise market in the '90s, especially when John Scully tried to beat IBM at the personal computing game. Didn't work. Now the tables have turned. Apple has broken the consumer market wide open, and iPhone and iPad are breaking into the enterprise market thanks to the robustness and popularity of iOS.

So, naturally, MS is trying to find a toehold in the consumer market. But XBox has lost billions due to horrible hardware design (just Google "General Hardware Failure" ). Zune somehow limps along despite negligible sales. KIN was mercifully killed off after just a few weeks of feature- and sales-challenged existence.

And now Ballmer is making two more enormously costly mistakes: rushing out Windows Phone 7 as a half-baked knee-jerk reaction to the death of Windows Mobile 6, and cramming Windows 7 into a tablet. As if 9 years of mediocrity in tablet computing aren't enough already. Same crap, different shape.

Just exactly how many billions (more) is Microsoft going to shovel into the dumpster fire of their consumer product businesses? It was amusing seeing MS do that a few years ago with Zune. But it's not funny any more. Not even with a clown like Ballmer running the show, and nothing's worse than a clown who isn't funny.

Steve Ballmer is a genius only he can make millions out of billions
  • Reply 269 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Windows 7. Unless you are one of those extreme Apple fanboys that worships Steve Jobs every night before you go to bed and believe Windows and Linux cause cancer.

Linux doesn't cause cancer. Windows does, this is opposite of Ballmer's belief that Linux is a Cancer
  • Reply 270 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I suspect it won't work for many people. I predict Zune type sales. In fact probably the same people.

I am trying to imagine dealing with all those pop ups from anti-virus, the Windows OS and updates etc. while three copies if IE open because you were shaking with anger when you tapped the stylus ...

I can see a slew of 3rd party add ons ... first a piece of string with duct tape either end for the stylus.

Can you install itunes on this so that it is usable with all the iDevices and will replace your PC with this
  • Reply 271 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fila97 View Post

I can write Chinese and yes iPad doesn't present a problem for me writing chinese characters at all.

Think someone should send a PM to the ignorant user who said the inability of the iPad to do Japanese handwriting input was the only reason he didn't buy one?
  • Reply 272 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

If it is running Windows why not? All done with a stylus.... the multi-gesture functions like pinching to zoom etc. might be a bit difficult though!

Pinch'n'Zoom with 2 stylus maybe 'n' number os stylus for all the gestures understood by iPad, like using chopsticks on tablet.
  • Reply 273 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tonton View Post

Think someone should send a PM to the ignorant user who said the inability of the iPad to do Japanese handwriting input was the only reason he didn't buy one?

Nah! He'd just come up with another only reason!

• Reply 274 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

Why would you install "a full version of windows"? It includes a lot of drivers and other stuff that would be inapplicable.

My guess is that like every other OEM, they will install a version of Windows that is certain to work perfectly with the hardware, but which excludes unnecessary pieces. Generally, you can set up Windows to keep the unnecessary, but potentially useful pieces compressed and uninstalled. The stuff that is unnecessary takes up little or no space.

WRT Office, it too is modular, and you can install only what you use. Most people use Outlook and Word. A few mid-level types use powerpoint.

Then how useful is generic port like USB where you cannot use the drivers of the desktop OS, which means lot your devices suddenly become useless. The idea of WHQL is to make sure all devices work well with windows.
  • Reply 275 of 433
    applappl Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ispeakinsong View Post

Sure, the screen will be nicer for when you do want to want watch videos and whatnot, but is it worth it at twice the price of a netbook?

The iPad sells for as much as 3 times the price of a netbook. Is it worth three times the cost of a netbook?

When other tablets have a real OS?

Time will tell. I think that there are different consumers with different needs and desires. I don't think that one size fits all. Ever. Some people think different, and don't like crippled products.
  • Reply 276 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FrdSllS View Post

I am so happy, I am getting one asap,

I will partition the disk right away just in case, defragment it once to have a fresh start,

update windows with the most recent patches, install few drivers. And oh! I am a power user,

I will also fine tune my antivirus and firewall settings and change my background.

Connecting to the web will be such a breeze using window's connection manager assistant.

Then I will install my favorite desktop applications. Lets not forget a usb keyboard and mouse

to use them...

Then, here it is ! fully bloated [edit: I meant blown] ms words on windows on my tablet !

Suck that iPad.

[edited for typo]

hahaha! nice.
  • Reply 277 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

On tablets, the ?regular? aspect ratio is 4:3 because the iPad has a near 100% of the tablet market. Of course, it?s impossible for an aspect ratio to be obsolete, which is oddly how many described it back when it was demoed at the start of the year.

But if one is less myopic, and considers aspects of the real world other than one product form one company, the answer is different.

If one looks at the vast majority of screens produced in the last 5 years, one does NOT see any aspect ratio except one: 16:9.

4:3 is used infrequently on some bizarre niche products. It is also used on one popular product.

Go to Amazon. They sell 1,278 TV sets with 16:9 screens, and 131 with the old aspect ratio.

They sell 18,923 different computer monitors. They don't list 4:3 as a choice, so I assume that none of them have anything but the standard 16:9 aspect ratio.

It would be truly bizarre to buy a 4:3 computer monitor. I doubt that old-fashioned stuff is even still in production (except for some bizarre, niche products).
  • Reply 278 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appl View Post

They sell 18,923 different computer monitors. They don't list 4:3 as a choice, so I assume that none of them have anything but the standard 16:9 aspect ratio.

Many would still be 16:10. The last good resolution.
  • Reply 279 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

And yes, I know that Windows 7 has New Special Touch Enhancements, but we all know they're modest and not really all that much of an improvement over the previous iterations-- .

How do "we all" know that?

I have not seen a single comment by anybody who has ever used it.

We All?
  • Reply 280 of 433
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Rubish. I have both o player and vlc and they both work great. I don't know if these guys have messed up settings or they are trying to play some 5gb mkv or what? If you think the atom, lol, will play these better be my guest. It's yor money.

Dunno. I guess you have little faith in Apple's methods of rating software. The reviews are what they are.

I can't use VLC on my iPhone, due to iOS fragmentation, so I'll never be able to test it myself.