Verizon hiring hundreds ahead of iPhone launch - rumor

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Verizon is reportedly hiring hundreds of call center staff through third-party hiring companies, stoking speculation that the largest wireless carrier in the U.S. is preparing to launch the iPhone, a new report claims.

Customer service call center staffing companies Teleperformance and Ryla are looking for thousands of customer service representatives to field calls for a "major wireless cell phone service retailer," according to a report by CNET. Posts to the Careerbuilder website as well as the companies' own websites reveal that the positions will be dedicated to "either a wireless, cell phone, or communications company," with additional positions offering technical support for "personal computers and portable devices like MP3 players and smartphones."

One Teleperformance call center in Augusta, Georgia, will double its employees through the hiring campaign. "It is for a major wireless company that we have secured a new line of business, one of our existing clients," Marcie Ballard, vice president of recruiting for Teleperformance, told the Augusta Chronicle, although she declined to say which provider.

Both companies have prior experience supporting Verizon. Teleperformance also works with Apple, in addition to Verizon Wireless and the other major cell phone carriers in the past, the report notes. Ryla has worked with Verizon for over 10 years, a source told CNET.

While the connection between a flurry of call center recruiting and a Verizon iPhone is tenuous at best, the rumor was bolstered by Friday's news that Verizon had lost more ground to rival AT&T than expected in the third quarter. Third-quarter earnings reports from Verizon and At&T this week show that Verizon netted 584,000 new monthly-bill paying customers during the quarter, compared to AT&T's 745,000 additions, Reuters reports.

Verizon CFO John Killian told Reuters that Verizon expects to add 550,000 to 600,000 new monthly-bill paying customers in the fourth quarter, less than half of last years' number. Killian also stressed the importance of converting standard users into smartphone users in order to increase revenue through sales of data plans.

Though Verizon Wireless still holds the No. 1 spot as the largest telecommunications network in the U.S. with 93.2 million subscribers as of October, AT&T is close to overtaking the provider with 92.8 million subscribers of its own.

AT&T announced Thursday that it had activated a record 5.2 million iPhones in the September quarter. AT&T Chief Executive Randall Stephenson called it a "terrific quarter," with a record number of customers signing new two-year contracts. Based on the numbers, more than three years of AT&T iPhone exclusivity have taken its toll on Verizon.

Rumors of a 2011 Verizon iPhone gained credence this month when The Wall Street Journal reported that Apple is prepping a CDMA, Verizon-compatible iPhone for production by the end of the year. Some analysts believe Verizon could sell as many as 12 million iPhones in its first year of availability. Responding to the report from the Journal, Verizon COO Lowell McAdam told the press earlier this month that news of a Verizon iPhone would have to come from Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 143
    Full Article

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Verizon is reportedly hiring hundreds of call center staff through third-party hiring companies, stoking speculation that the largest wireless carrier in the U.S. is preparing to launch the iPhone, a new report claims.

Customer service call center staffing companies Teleperformance and Ryla are looking for thousands of customer service representatives to field calls for a "major wireless cell phone service retailer," according to a report by CNET. Posts to the Careerbuilder website as well as the companies' own websites reveal that the positions will be dedicated to "either a wireless, cell phone, or communications company," with additional positions offering technical support for "personal computers and portable devices like MP3 players and smartphones."

One Teleperformance call center in Augusta, Georgia, will double its employees through the hiring campaign. "It is for a major wireless company that we have secured a new line of business, one of our existing clients," Marcie Ballard, vice president of recruiting for Teleperformance, told the Augusta Chronicle, although she declined to say which provider.

Both companies have prior experience supporting Verizon. Teleperformance also works with Apple, in addition to Verizon Wireless and the other major cell phone carriers in the past, the report notes. Ryla has worked with Verizon for over 10 years, a source told CNET.

While the connection between a flurry of call center recruiting and a Verizon iPhone is tenuous at best, the rumor was bolstered by Friday's news that Verizon had lost more ground to rival AT&T than expected in the third quarter. Third-quarter earnings reports from Verizon and At&T this week show that Verizon netted 584,000 new monthly-bill paying customers during the quarter, compared to AT&T's 745,000 additions, Reuters reports.

Verizon CFO John Killian told Reuters that Verizon expects to add 550,000 to 600,000 new monthly-bill paying customers in the fourth quarter, less than half of last years' number. Killian also stressed the importance of converting standard users into smartphone users in order to increase revenue through sales of data plans.

Though Verizon Wireless still holds the No. 1 spot as the largest telecommunications network in the U.S. with 93.2 million subscribers as of October, AT&T is close to overtaking the provider with 92.8 million subscribers of its own.

AT&T announced Thursday that it had activated a record 5.2 million iPhones in the September quarter. AT&T Chief Executive Randall Stephenson called it a "terrific quarter," with a record number of customers signing new two-year contracts. Based on the numbers, more than three years of AT&T iPhone exclusivity have taken its toll on Verizon.

Rumors of a 2011 Verizon iPhone gained credence this month when The Wall Street Journal reported that Apple is prepping a CDMA, Verizon-compatible iPhone for production by the end of the year. Some analysts believe Verizon could sell as many as 12 million iPhones in its first year of availability. Responding to the report from the Journal, Verizon CFO Lowell McAdam told the press earlier this month that news of a Verizon iPhone would have to come from Apple.

• Reply 2 of 143
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    It's possible that Verizon could get a CDMA iPad 2 next year. And it could hit Verizon before the CDMA iPhone.

Just a crazy thought about iPhone announcement scheduling. If VZ does indeed get iPhone, and if it is actually announced in Q1 next year, then that could give Apple two iPhone announcements per year if they stick with that schedule. A lot if 'ifs' but please hear me out. There could be one announcement for Verizon iPhone in Q1, and another for AT&T iPhone in Q2. Two opportunities to generate huge media attention on iPhone every year.

And let's extend that thought a little further. It's very likely that AT&T has angered Steve in more than one way. And we know what happens when Apple's partners anger Steve (looking at you, ATI*.) Apple could retaliate for AT&T's recalcitrance by announcing each new iPhone model on Verizon first, then AT&T later in the year. Verizon gets more attention because they get to roll out iPhone 5 and/or iPhone 6, etc. months before AT&T gets theirs.

(* Way back in 2000, some ATI marketing weenie leaked information on new iMac and Power Mac models using ATI graphics cards just before MacWorld San Francisco. Steve was going to announce those new machines and graphics cards himself in his keynote, and he was livid. He removed all mention of ATI from his keynote, and all the signage in the Apple booth had ATI 's name and their Radeon graphics card brand name blacked out.)
  • Reply 3 of 143
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

It's possible that Verizon could get a CDMA iPad 2 next year. And it could hit Verizon before the CDMA iPhone.

Just a crazy thought about iPhone announcement scheduling. If VZ does indeed get iPhone, and if it is actually announced in Q1 next year, then that could give Apple two iPhone announcements per year if they stick with that schedule. A lot if 'ifs' but please hear me out. There could be one announcement for Verizon iPhone in Q1, and another for AT&T iPhone in Q2. Two opportunities to generate huge media attention on iPhone every year.

Could be, but I think it will be for an iPhone.

Also, the iPad is the one Apple device that could be ?world mode? and support all the spectrums that would need to be supported. I doubt they will, but space isn?t the same issue in the current iPad casing.
  • Reply 4 of 143
    gotwakegotwake Posts: 115member
    Quote:

And let's extend that thought a little further. It's very likely that AT&T has angered Steve in more than one way. And we know what happens when Apple's partners anger Steve (looking at you, ATI*.) Apple could retaliate for AT&T's recalcitrance by announcing each new iPhone model on Verizon first, then AT&T later in the year. Verizon gets more attention because they get to roll out iPhone 5 and/or iPhone 6, etc. months before AT&T gets theirs.

(* Way back in 2000, some ATI marketing weenie leaked information on new iMac and Power Mac models using ATI graphics cards just before MacWorld San Francisco. Steve was going to announce those new machines and graphics cards himself in his keynote, and he was livid. He removed all mention of ATI from his keynote, and all the signage in the Apple booth had ATI 's name and their Radeon graphics card brand name blacked out.)

If VZ did get the iPhone, I think it would probably be announced at the same time for every carrier. The only difference would be the chipset.

Personally, I think this is all FUD. I think Apple and AT&T still have the 5 year contract in effect and it will be 2012 before you see the iPhone on any other carrier in the US. I see the iPad at VZ as a baby step for each company. I would love to see the iPhone on every carrier, but I don't think they can keep up with demand until that new Foxconn factory gets up and running.

Oh yeah, my first post on here.
  • Reply 5 of 143
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Quote:

If Verizon doesn't get the iphone for 2011, then the 5-year contract is still in effect. Also, At&t is catching up to Verizon at a fast rate, and I can see At&t being number one and Verizon being number two by the end of 2011.
  • Reply 6 of 143
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Quote:

In the beginning At&t did pissed of Apple and vice-versa. Fast forward a few years later and Apple actually said that they're happy with At&t and actually defended them a few times.
  • Reply 7 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

In the beginning At&t did pissed of Apple and vice-versa. Fast forward a few years later and Apple actually said that they're happy with At&t and actually defended them a few times.

I'm not sure that's necessarily proof of them getting along. I mean what is Apple supposed to say? Here's a company that took a huge risk with you to make the iPhone possible and which remains the only major GSM carrier in your home market, so you have to rely on them for the foreseeable future.

On the other hand, I wish Apple HAD launched the iPhone with verizon just to highlight their network's deficiencies. I'm tired of reading all the AT&T bashing and the Verizon-is-greater-than-God talk. It's gotten so annoying. Verizon has its own problems save for the lack of a truly high profile device to expose them. Anyone who thinks life with VZ is going to be all sugar and rainbows really needs to get checked.
  • Reply 8 of 143
    Quote:

Verizon is reportedly hiring hundreds of call center staff through third-party hiring companies, stoking speculation that the largest wireless carrier in the U.S. is preparing to launch the iPhone

Verizon has customer service?

I hope the training is good, because putting large numbers of new, unseasoned support staff on the frontlines at a major product launch all but begs for disaster.

And I hope they're above the usual "Is it plugged in? Is it turned on?", or recommending you visit their support website when your Internet connection is down...
  • Reply 9 of 143
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    I wonder if the Verizon iPhone would carry the Verizon logo on it or require a VCast app preinstalled.

What's in it for Verizon?
  • Reply 10 of 143
    shobizshobiz Posts: 207member
    Maybe they are hiring for the holidays just like everyone else.

I guess that would be too obvious and not as fun though
  • Reply 11 of 143
    iliveriliver Posts: 299member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

I hope the training is good, because putting large numbers of new, unseasoned support staff on the frontlines at a major product launch all but begs for disaster.

And I hope they're above the usual "Is it plugged in? Is it turned on?", or recommending you visit their support website when your Internet connection is down...

Right- I can just see the geeks at Best Buy pointing to the new $1,000 MBA and any $400 Netbook and advising you what he recommends.
  • Reply 12 of 143
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Could be, but I think it will be for an iPhone.

Also, the iPad is the one Apple device that could be “world mode” and support all the spectrums that would need to be supported. I doubt they will, but space isn’t the same issue in the current iPad casing.

You know, If Verizon suddenly announced tomorrow they have a Verizon iPhone available for sale ... it would have to be the best kept secret in history ... oh, wait a minute ... but then again ... or on the other hand ... but you could argue ...

• Reply 13 of 143
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

I wonder if the Verizon iPhone would carry the Verizon logo on it or require a VCast app preinstalled.

No it will not. Last time Verizon pushed that crap, Steve walked right out the door and said, "Your Loss."

Yes, yes it certainly was.
  • Reply 14 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver View Post

Right- I can just see the geeks at Best Buy pointing to the new $1,000 MBA and any $400 Netbook and advising you what he recommends.

I witnessed that the other day while in BB (except it was a MacBook) and couldn't resist chiming it and pointing out in a few years the MB would still be worth a lot of money and could be sold and money used towards next Mac whereas the netbook would be rejected by Goodwill!
  • Reply 15 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

No it will not. Last time Verizon pushed that crap, Steve walked right out the door and said, "Your Loss."

Yes, yes it certainly was.

You got that right!
  • Reply 16 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgl323 View Post

If Verizon doesn't get the iphone for 2011, then the 5-year contract is still in effect. Also, At&t is catching up to Verizon at a fast rate, and I can see At&t being number one and Verizon being number two by the end of 2011.

At the 3Q pace, AT&T is probably number one today.......we are almost 4 weeks into the 4th quarter.

Why would Verizon need so many new call center staff for just one phone? Do they expect a lot of problems?
  • Reply 17 of 143
    I wish Verizon would get the iPhone in time for Christmas. I would love to see the new version of the misfit toy ad.
  • Reply 18 of 143
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kozchris View Post

I wish Verizon would get the iPhone in time for Christmas. I would love to see the new version of the misfit toy ad.

Anything ... As long as it isn't the "Can you hear me now?" ad
  • Reply 19 of 143
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iLiver;

$1,500 or so per new-iPhone customer. The contract is where they make the money.

So 2M Verizon iPhone customers are worth 3B in sales to Verizon. Or about 1B+/- or so in revenue [sic].
  • Reply 20 of 143
    edit: removed double-post