Apple killing Java on the Mac!!! WTF?!?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 3 and 10.5 Update 8 Release Notes

"New and Noteworthy

This chapter lists high-profile features in these releases.

Java Deprecation

As of the release of Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 3, the version of Java that is ported by Apple, and that ships with Mac OS X, is deprecated.

This means that the Apple-produced runtime will not be maintained at the same level, and may be removed from future versions of Mac OS X.

The Java runtime shipping in Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, and Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard, will continue to be supported and maintained through the standard support cycles of those products.
"

What the Hell are they thinking?!?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    It is confusing. It seems to be bad wording in the notes. The third line and the last line contradict each other.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    It's not really Apple's job to maintain it and their releases naturally fall out of sync with the official versions, which are available for other OSs here:

http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

It also presents a security risk being installed on computers by default.

They may have spoken with Sun/Oracle and agreed for them to maintain the Mac version of the run-time.

It won't really affect a huge number of apps - mainly Vuze and OpenOffice. I'm sure there will be other apps using it where it's not expected but the impact of removing it by default would be minimal. Hardly anybody makes/uses applets.

I would rather have an official version than Apple's port of it.

It seems like they may be trying to remove as many security risks as possible from upcoming systems including Flash and Java.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    It may affect me with an app I use called Springcharts EMR.

I believe they are moving to SQL however.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

It may affect me with an app I use called Springcharts EMR.

I believe they are moving to SQL however.

Java and SQL are not competing technologies. Java is a programing language, and SQL is a language used to unify talking to databases. You often use SQL within Java (or C, Python, PHP, etc...). If it is written in Java, then it is a candidate for problems if/when Java goes away. Apple has not announced this, only that they are not going to be the ones pushing forward, with the implication that their maintained version might go away in a future version (absolutely no specifics on that).