Help a student out, please! (Quick Survey

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I would greatly appreciate it if anyone who owns a PDA (any model) and a cellular phone (any model), or some manner of combination of the two (i.e. handspring treo) would answer just a couple of questions for me.

I am primarily interested in people who own both a cell phone and a pda, but I will gladly accept input from those who own one or the other.

All you have to do is hit reply and then fill in your answers.

This is for a project in my Studio II class for Graphic Design where I intend to remarket the Handspring Treo towards the youth market.

Please answer the following:

Your age:

Your sex (m/f/t):

Model of PDA owned:

Model of Cell Phone:

Model of Hybrid you own:

If you have owned multiple PDA's, CellPhones, or hybrids, then please include all previous models owned as well.

On a scale of 1 to 5, 1 being least important and 5 being most important, please rate the importance of the following factors in deciding which model of PDA or cell phone you purchased.

PDA:

Style

Features

Brand

Price

CellPhone:

Style

Features

Brand

Price

Thanks to all those who participate!

ciao,

michael rosenquest

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Did someone say PDA?

Your age: 20

Your sex: M

Model of PDA owned: Newton Messagepad 2100

Model of Cell Phone: Motorola V (USC)

Model of Hybrid you own: None

PDA: Newton Messagepad 2100

Style: 5

Features: 5

Brand: 5

Price: 2

CellPhone: Motorola

Style: 1

Features: 1

Brand: 1

Price: 1

I haven't owned any other cell phones, and the Newton is already old enough to throw you a curve ball, so I won't include the other various Messagepads that I own.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Your age: 26

Your sex (m/f/t): M

Model of PDA owned: Palm III

Model of Cell Phone: Nokia 3380

Model of Hybrid you own: none

PDA:

Style 1

Features 1

Brand 1

Price 5 (free from work) otherwise 2

CellPhone:

Style 5

Features 3

Brand 4

Price 5 (free from Voicestream)
  • Reply 3 of 20
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member

Your age: 20-Something

Model of PDA owned: Handsping Visor

Model of Cell Phone: Nokia 5100; Motorola Flip Phone; Nokia POS Tracfone

Model of Hybrid you own: N/A

If you have owned multiple PDA's, CellPhones, or hybrids, then please include all previous models owned as well.

On a scale of 1 to 5, 1 being least important and 5 being most important, please rate the importance of the following factors in deciding which model of PDA or cell phone you purchased.

PDA:

Style 3

Features 4

Brand 3

Price 4

CellPhone:

Style 3

Features 4

Brand 2

Price 5

You're welcome...
  • Reply 4 of 20
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member

Your age: 17

Model of PDA owned: Compaq H3835 PocketPC

Model of Cell Phone: Samsung SPH-A400

PDA:

Style 3

Features 5

Brand 2

Price 3

CellPhone:

Style 5

Features 4

Brand 3

Price 3

[ 04-01-2002: Message edited by: G4Dude ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Your age: 18

Model of PDA owned: -

Model of Cell Phone: Nokia 8260, Qualcomm Thin Phone

Model of Hybrid you own: -

CellPhone: Nokia

Style 4.5

Features 5

Brand 5

Price 1

Not sure if you want the answers for the previous phones but...

CellPhone: Qualcomm

Style 3

Features 4.5

Brand 4

Price 5
  • Reply 6 of 20
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    you make me sick.... go elsewhere to get your damn models
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Your age: 21

Model of PDA owned: Palm Vx, Palm VIIx

Model of Cell Phone: Oki (circa '95/'96), Ericsson Something (~'98), Motorola StarTAC (current)

Model of Hybrid you own: none

PDA: Palm Vx/Palm VIIx

Style 5

Features 3

Brand 2

Price 3

CellPhone: Motorola StarTAC

Style 5

Features 3

Brand 4

Price 3

I almost ended up going to SCAD, decided to go up to the School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, instead. So &^$%* cold up here... (originally from Atlanta)
  • Reply 8 of 20
    tmptmp Posts: 601member
    Your age: 29

Model of PDA owned: Palm Vx (present) Palm III (former)

Model of Cell Phone: Motorola V8160 (present) Motorola StarTac (former)

PDA:

Style 4

Features 3

Brand 2

Price 3

CellPhone:

Style 5

Features 4

Brand 2

Price 2
  • Reply 9 of 20
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Speaking of PDA's, would anyone be interested in the following:

- Palm OS (Palm compatible)

- Newton-style handwriting recognition

- larger screen with no "little box"

- insanely great battery life

- Non-volatile monochrome display (blue on white) i.e. you can turn the PDA off and still refer to what's on the screen, and the display draws no power.

- ultra thin

Some friends of mine and I are looking into building a "PDA that doesn't suck" as part of an EE project. We would be using the latest technology available. How much would you pay?

[ 04-01-2002: Message edited by: Splinemodel ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 20
    scadboyscadboy Posts: 189member
    wtf

[ 04-01-2002: Message edited by: scadboy ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Hey, I just wanted to thank everyone who has answered so far, better turnout than I expected, he he. What exaclty have I done to upset pfflam so much? does he think, perhaps, that I actually work for handspring and I'm trying to get some free market research? I thought this would be an appropriate enough place, but if you have a better suggestion, I'm all for it.

Splinemodel, sounds fascinating. I loved my newtons and that was the one thing about the palms that I've sorely missed, real handwriting recognition. the screen idea would be rather handy, more often than not when I'm reading something lengthy that i"ve written on my treo, the silly thing shuts off before I"m through with it unless I hit some button. How much would I pay? uh, well, you know... With any market, even if something is brand spanking new and truly innovative, it still has to be priced competitively with what's out there. So if you could package all of that into something like a treo, then maybe $50-100 more than what I paid for it, but then I appreciate innovation. I'd be surprised if most people would pay $50 more just because of those features.

I also thought I'd be fair and fill out the survey myself.

Your age: 21

Model of PDA owned: newton m100, newton m130, palm m100, hs visor edge

Model of Cell Phone: Visor Phone

Model of Hybrid you own: Treo

PDA:

Style 4

Features 5

Brand 1

Price 5

CellPhone:

Style 5

Features 3

Brand 1

Price 5

Thanks again to all those who have and who will participate!

ciao,

michael rosenquest

[ 04-01-2002: Message edited by: scadboy ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 20
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Your age: 22

Model of PDA owned: Handspring Visor Edge

Model of Cell Phone: Nokia 6190, Mitzubishi ???

PDA:

Style - 3

Features - 4

Brand - 2

Price - 5

CellPhone:

Style - 3

Features - 3

Brand - 4

Price - 4

p.s. If the Treo ends up being available with my mobile service, I'd SERIOUSLY consider getting one and ditching my Visor & Nokia.

• Reply 13 of 20
    [quote]Splinemodel, sounds fascinating. I loved my newtons and that was the one thing about the palms that I've sorely missed, real handwriting recognition. the screen idea would be rather handy, more often than not when I'm reading something lengthy that i"ve written on my treo, the silly thing shuts off before I"m through with it unless I hit some button. How much would I pay? uh, well, you know... With any market, even if something is brand spanking new and truly innovative, it still has to be priced competitively with what's out there. So if you could package all of that into something like a treo, then maybe $50-100 more than what I paid for it, but then I appreciate innovation. I'd be surprised if most people would pay $50 more just because of those features.<hr></blockquote>

Well, that's fine, because the display technology is potentially a lot cheaper to produce than are LCD's. The extra cost would be for profit margin and R&D costs, and in order to make the product seem "top-of-the-line." (which it would be!)

Oh yeah, the display technology exists in prototype stages. It's from a company called eink. Perhaps you've heard about them. We'd just be doing some circuitry work and driver-building, along with tweaks to the Palm OS and to some of the hardware.

[ 04-01-2002: Message edited by: Splinemodel ]</p>
  • Reply 14 of 20
    skipjackskipjack Posts: 263member
    Your age: 45

Model of PDA owned:

Model of Cell Phone:

Model of Hybrid you own(ed): Nokia 9000

PDA:

Style 4

Features 5

Brand 5

Price 3

CellPhone:

Style 3

Features 5

Brand 5

Price 1

At the time I had it, it was great. I could even make calls and post e-mail from a ship as long as we were about 1/4 mile from shore. Too bad it only worked in Europe.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Your age: 15

Model of PDA owned: Handspring Visor Prism

Model of Cell Phone: None

Model of Hybrid you own: None

Style: 3

Features: 4

Brand: 4

Price: 4

Also, the OS that it ran (Palm OS) was a 5.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by Skipjack:

At the time I had it, it was great. I could even make calls and post e-mail from a ship as long as we were about 1/4 mile from shore. Too bad it only worked in Europe.[/QB]<hr></blockquote>

yeah, in America we don't use that GSM junk. . Yeah, CDMA is better, but it WOULD be nice if the bureaucrats could finally get over it and agree on a single standard. A lot of it has to do with the fact that the EU is leery of handing all of the patents over to American companies like Qualcomm. Blame protectionism.

Question: Are hybrids really worth it? I wouldn't be using a mobile phone too much, so is it then a much better idea to get a PDA as well as a stand-alone mobile? Or are hybrids really clean and compact?
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Whoops... mine were most important = 5 least important = 1...

reverse as necessary..

Sorry!
  • Reply 18 of 20
    skipjackskipjack Posts: 263member
    There is a magazine in GB named T3, and they raved about the Nokia 9000 and 9000i.

Most reviews from this side of the pond complained that the device was too big. It was bulky and about the size of a telephone handset. Didn't people used to wear calculators on their belts? It wasn't much more inconvenient than that.

My fingers aren't large and I've touch typed for years, so I wasn't bothered by the miniature keyboard.

The current models are smaller.

I had a real appreciation for the device because I had no land line, had no internet service, and travelled occasionally. This was three or four years ago and the list price was over $1000. (Got mine in Dubai, UAE for half that.)

These days, people expect devices to be pocket sized with easy data input. I don't believe that an all-in-one device (i.e., PDA with add-on wireless modem) would be seen as much of an advantage these days.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by Skipjack:

<strong>My fingers aren't large and I've touch typed for years, so I wasn't bothered by the miniature keyboard.

The current models are smaller.

I had a real appreciation for the device because I had no land line, had no internet service, and travelled occasionally. This was three or four years ago and the list price was over $1000. (Got mine in Dubai, UAE for half that.)

These days, people expect devices to be pocket sized with easy data input. I don't believe that an all-in-one device (i.e., PDA with add-on wireless modem) would be seen as much of an advantage these days.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I opted for the graffiti model of the Treo just because I really deplore typing on those tiny little black-berry style "keyboards," and I'm pretty quick with graffiti. Either way, I would kill for a newton-nuevo.

Oh, don't mean to bump my own topic, but I do need more respondants! Please!!! Just reply to the original message, thanks!

ciao,

michael
  • Reply 20 of 20
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Your age: 19

Model of PDA owned: HS Visor Edge

Model of Cell Phone: Nokia 8310

PDA:

Style 4

Features 5