Briefly: Mac OS X 10.6.5, Windows Phone 7, possible worker poisoning

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Just three days after the last build, Apple has released another beta for Mac OS X 10.6.5, and Microsoft has released a beta of its Windows Phone 7 Connector syncing application for Mac. Finally, Chinese workers who claim to have worked on Apple products have been hospitalized due to poisoning from chemical vapors.

Mac OS X 10.6.5

Mac OS X 10.6.5 is expected to arrive ahead of iOS 4.2, which is scheduled for a November release and will debut the new AirPrint wireless printing feature for Apple's mobile devices. Given that previous builds of the update have usually come within one week of each other, the latest release, which came a mere three days after the previous beta, could signal that the Mac OS X 10.6.5 is nearing completion.

The Delta Update of the beta, labeled build 10H563, is reportedly a 616.5MB download. There are no known issues with the build, and focus areas for the release include: 3D Graphics, Printing, QuickTime, Time Machine, USB Devices.

Windows Phone 7

Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 Connector for Mac beta enables users to sync their iTunes and iPhoto media, including "music, photos, videos and podcasts," to Windows Phone 7 handsets, although no mention is made of a contact syncing feature. The 5MB download requires Mac OS X 10.5 or above.

Earlier this month, Microsoft UK executive Oded Ran posted to Twitter "confirming" that Microsoft would be bringing its Zune software to the Mac to sync with Windows Phone 7, but the post was quickly deleted.

"ANNOUNCEMENT: I'm glad to confirm that Mac users would be able to use Zune on their Macs to sync with #WP7," said the tweet. "More details soon."

It is unclear whether Windows Phone 7 Connector for Mac is a long-term option for syncing Windows Phone 7 handsets with Macs, or just a temporary solution while Microsoft finishes the rumored Zune for Mac software.

Microsoft unveiled nine Windows Phone 7 handsets on Oct. 11. Early reviews of the new OS and phones were mixed, although reviewers have been impressed by new interface elements from Microsoft.

Worker Poisoning

The Australian Broadcasting Corp. is reporting that some factory workers in southern China have become "seriously ill" after working on what may have been Apple laptops and iPhones. Workers say they were hospitalized after breathing toxic n-hexane vapors in a poorly ventilated factory.

Author Stephen McDonell was unable to confirm whether the factory in question is an official Apple supplier or one of many Chinese factories supplying fake versions of the company's devices. "[The workers] say they were using n-hexane to glue and polish the logos on Apple products - at least they assumed they were not fakes," wrote McDonell.

One of the workers kept logos to "prove that they were working on Apple products," the report notes.

Earlier this year, Apple supplier Wintek came under fire after reports surfaced that at least 62 workers had been hospitalized because of exposure to n-hexane. In May, Wintek announced that it had stopped using the chemical and that all affected workers had been treated.

Apple has ramped up efforts to improve factory and worker conditions by mandating a "Supplier Code of Conduct" in its contracts with suppliers, increasing factory audits and issuing an annual supplier responsibility report.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    Oh no! Another three-fer!
  • Reply 2 of 20
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    It had to be poisoning or bacterial. Apple laptop workers don?t get viruses.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Oh no! Another three-fer!

Am I the only one fond of Neapolitan Journalism? Seriously, I like these being in one article instead of being pushed to Page 2 where I?ll never read them.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I

Am I the only one fond of Neapolitan Journalism?

Neapolitan?

As in ice ream or chord?;-)
  • Reply 4 of 20
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Neapolitan?

A (vague) reference to three things pressed together into one package.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

Neapolitan?

Clever!
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:

Am I the only one fond of Neapolitan Journalism? Seriously, I like these being in one article instead of being pushed to Page 2 where I?ll never read them.

Wrong website dude, Macrumors is that way----------->.

Seriously, I can't stand it when this site posts multiple unrelated news stories in a single thread!
  • Reply 7 of 20
    [QUOTE=solipsism;1741325]It had to be poisoning or bacterial. Apple laptop workers don?t get viruses.

Good one!
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

Clever!

Any cleverness should be clearly attributed to solipsism!
  • Reply 9 of 20
    tnsftnsf Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Author Stephen McDonell was unable to confirm whether the factory in question is an official Apple supplier or one of many Chinese factories supplying fake versions of the company's devices. "[The workers] say they were using n-hexane to glue and polish the logos on Apple products - at least they assumed they were not fakes," wrote McDonell.

One of the workers kept logos to "prove that they were working on Apple products," the report notes.

I can't think of any Apple products that have glued-on and/or polished logos.

Anyone?
  • Reply 10 of 20
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Finally, Chinese workers who claim to have worked on Apple products have been hospitalized due to poisoning from chemical vapors.

Finally?

Were we waiting for them to get poisoned and hospitalized?!?!?
  • Reply 11 of 20
    tnsftnsf Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Finally?

Were we waiting for them to get poisoned and hospitalized?!?!?

Haha so true!
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BB Sting View Post

Wrong website dude, Macrumors is that way----------->.

Seriously, I can't stand it when this site posts multiple unrelated news stories in a single thread!

I'm sorry . . . is that a WHINE I hear?
  • Reply 13 of 20
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TNSF View Post

I can't think of any Apple products that have glued-on and/or polished logos.

Anyone?

+1 I've never seen one either.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Sync Windows 7 phone to iTunes on your Mac? Has anyone told Melinda Gates about this? No, wait, don't . . .

"Look what you've done! I'm melting! melting! Oh, what a world! What a world!"
  • Reply 15 of 20
    filed under China gives two shits about its workers
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:

Windows Phone 7

Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 Connector for Mac beta enables users to sync their iTunes and iPhoto media, including "music, photos, videos and podcasts," to Windows Phone 7 handsets, although no mention is made of a contact syncing feature.[ View this article at AppleInsider.com ][/c]

The Zune software for Windows doesn't sync contacts either, all it does is music, videos and photos. Everything else is cloud based.

If you want to sync your mac contacts your basically limited to either syncing though Google or Yahoo as thats the only cloud based services OS X contacts sync with (other than mobile me).
  • Reply 17 of 20
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Good to see that Microsoft is finally falling in line and start playing nicely with the market leader.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

filed under China gives two shits about its workers

I'd suspect that they'd have to on their own time.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Quote:

It had to be poisoning or bacterial. Apple laptop workers don’t get viruses.

Am I the only one fond of Neapolitan Journalism? Seriously, I like these being in one article instead of being pushed to Page 2 where I’ll never read them.

Well as you know I already said it makes the thread a kind of mash up but I guess i can see your point and it makes it quite entertaining.

The term 'Neapolitan' will forever conjure up for me a mental picture of a block of of raspberry, chocolate and vanilla ice cream that was popular in the UK back in the 60's.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:

It had to be poisoning or bacterial. Apple laptop workers don?t get viruses.

Good one