Electronics giant Sony rumored for potential Apple acquisition

Comments

• Reply 21 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Um, no they are not. Do you even know what you're talking about?

Sony, as a company, is worth $33.6 billion.

Microsoft is worth $217.98 billion.

Apple is worth $282.14 billion.

Just because you may personally have some friends with a Sony Vaio doesn't mean that Sony is bigger than Apple in Europe.

I don't think he meant value..
  • Reply 22 of 213
    steve-jsteve-j Posts: 320member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yaragrev View Post

Think about it. Two giants one being acquired by the other? May be great for Apple but not so much for Sony. What would they be called in the end Snapple is already taken.

They should buy Snapple too!
  • Reply 23 of 213
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:

Um, no they are not. Do you even know what you're talking about?

Sony, as a company, is worth $33.6 billion.

Microsoft is worth $217.98 billion.

Apple is worth $282.14 billion.

Just because you may personally have some friends with a Sony Vaio doesn't mean that Sony is bigger than Apple in Europe.

Well corrected. Perception can be a funny thing can't it
  • Reply 24 of 213
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMeMine View Post

Agreed. Sony is too arrogant and stubborn to accept a bid and a hostel takeover of such a big name would not fly in Japan - especially after that ninja star incident

But just thinking about an Apple-Sony merger makes one drool over the A/V possibilities.

Just asking ... what part of accepting is required in a hostile take over or were you referring to a hotel in Japan?
  • Reply 25 of 213
    It's funny that this goes out now because while reading about what Apple might do with its stash, i immediately thought about Sony. Like Apple, Sony makes both hardware and software. And that's a big deal. They both have a large consumer base but also have a pro division. Sony has some of the best video engineers in the world. They sit on a shipload of patents. Plus Sony owns a major record label as well as a film studio in Hollywood. Sony also has its own store chain. It would make complete sense for Apple to grab it, especially now since Sony's shares are on the down side.

In the 90's, Sony repeatedly tried to work with Apple but somehow could not find ways to collaborate. They wanted the Vaio to use Mac OS. One of Sony's directors reportedly said that 'it was very hard to work with "them"'. And I totally disagree, the corporate cultures are not that different.
  • Reply 26 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

You do not live in Europe certainly!

Sony is bigger that Microsoft and Apple together in Europe.

Cultural fit between two companies has nothing to do with size (regardless of the merits of the claim that Sony is bigger than Apple in Europe).
  • Reply 27 of 213
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    hahahaha. No.

Stock manipulation at work.
  • Reply 28 of 213
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I?m not a fan of the ?because they have enough cash to do it they should do it? mind set.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Another possible source for the rumors could be a recent interview former Apple CEO John Sculley did with Bloomberg. Sculley talked about how Apple co-founder Jobs was fascinated by Sony, its products and its manufacturing process. Sculley said that Jobs wanted Apple to be like Sony, not Microsoft.

This rumour reminds me of when my mother would get me a gift based on what I what I liked as a child. I can?t imagine that Jobs would want to buy Sony simply because of places they were 20 years ago.
  • Reply 29 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Felman View Post

... ahhh that's why the Apple TV doesn't have BlueRay, you just buy the new iPlayStation and it comes rights with it!

Apple won't be returning to gaming. Oh, and Apple has been on the Blu-Ray board since 2004.

Quote:

But imagine the broadening in Apple's manufaturing capacities...

I can see it now...

Quote:

cameras

Discontinued.

Quote:

hdtvs

Panels reappropriated, then discontinued.

Quote:

what about Sony-Ericson phones?

Discontinued six months before the hypothetical merger takes place as part of the terms OF the merger.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by allblue View Post

...Sony computers to Mac OS...

Instantaneously discontinued.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

stupid article. Sony is WAY to big for little ol' Apple to buy them.

Little ol' Apple, the second most valuable company on the planet.
  • Reply 30 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

They have extensive IP. They also have lots of proprietary stuff, like Memory Sticks and Mini Disks......

I am one of the suckers that bought heavily into their minidisc technology........ the biggest waste of electronics $$ in my life (and I waste a lot of $$ on electronics!). \

And, from what I've read, the proprietary (and bundled) memory stick technology is is one of the key factors that led them down the path to irrelevancy in their consumer products.

So, not very good examples.
  • Reply 31 of 213
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Good fun an'all but it's never going to happen. There's no upside for Apple. They would have to kill off half the company that they had just paid for. Corporate mergers of that size are never good in the long term; they only occur to enrich the respective boards. Apple's not interested in that sort of nonsense.
  • Reply 32 of 213
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Well, okay, a lot of new shining things are now being incubated out there in Japan.

Japan Pledges 3D Holography for 2022 World Cup

Still, Sony is not necessarily being behind that.

• Reply 33 of 213
    steve-jsteve-j Posts: 320member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I am one of the suckers that bought heavily into their minidisc technology........ the biggest waste of electronics $$ in my life (and I waste a lot of $$ on electronics!). \

And, from what I've read, the proprietary (and bundled) memory stick technology is is one of the key factors that led them down the path to irrelevancy in their consumer products.

So, not very good examples.

I don't buy Sony products, and I avoid proprietary stuff in general. But the IP could be used to make viable Apple products.

and don't forget the IP they have in the PSP. Apple seems to be doing well with casual gaming on its devices, and Sony has lots of casual gaming titles and tech to built on.

And their console has already licensed bluray ...
  • Reply 34 of 213
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple won't be returning to gaming. Oh, and Apple has been on the Blu-Ray board since 2004.

I can see it now...

Discontinued.

Panels reappropriated, then discontinued.

Discontinued six months before the hypothetical merger takes place as part of the terms OF the merger.

Instantaneously discontinued.

Little ol' Apple, the second most valuable company on the planet.

I call BS on the acquisition story...pure stock manipulation...

Sony as a company would have to stop making most of their products! So why would Apple want to buy them? Most of their products would be radically overhauled to meet Apple's product libe? No that would not make good business sense. Buy Sony for their distribution? No they could actually buy an manufacturing company with their large cash reserve. this doesn't make sense....plus Sony would fight them (and lose) but it would be even more costly for Apple...so there is not "win" here for Apple.
  • Reply 35 of 213
    The only reason to buy Sony might be for technology and patents. But otherwise, it doesn't seem like a good fit to me. Sony strikes me as a dying concern.

Instead, I think Apple should pay out a dividend and reduce that huge wad of cash a bit -- especially if they are really thinking of wasting it by buying Sony.
  • Reply 36 of 213
    Wait in line Microsoft, we are buying sony first
  • Reply 37 of 213
    Quote:

This is the #1 dumbest Apple acquisition rumor that I have EVER heard in my entire life.

This would NEVER HAPPEN IN A MILLION YEARS.

Any investor that believes this rumor deserves to lose money in the stock market, because they have no idea what they are investing in.

Apple is no longer fascinated by Sony, because Apple has crushed Sony on every single level.

There would be NOTHING AT ALL to be gained by a Sony takeover. Nothing. Sony offers absolutely nOTHING that Apple would want or need.

This rumor is an easy one to fall for.

Playstation console business could help cement Apple as a powerful force in gaming covering handhelds to consoles. And with a little work the playstation would be a heck of a "Super Atv" and we would finally have bluray on a mac. ;-)

Reality- Apple is a leader in hand held gaming and will probably use the same stealth (or accidental) approach to world wide living room domination with apps on Atv and by slowly adding must have features.

Sony pictures- media creation would help drive more Apple hardware sales.

Reality- Jobs already has Disney on board hold outs will eventually give in.

Sony Hardware- Nice but expensive tv's and so-so home audio.

Reality- Apple has plenty of experience with displays and could (IMHO) put together a compelling hdtv if they wanted to. I am positive that Apple can make some great looking, mediocre sounding audio gear. Insert you favorite joke about the Hi-Fi here.

Sony does have product that Apple could use to round out their business. However, Apple could very easily introduce their own competing products for less money then the costs of acquiring Sony. Not to mention the distraction and brain drain from Apple as they try to stop the extension of that moribund dinosaur.

Easy to see how some smart short seller starts whispering rumors and gullible investors fall for it.
  • Reply 38 of 213
    Quote:

Apple is no longer fascinated by Sony, because Apple has crushed Sony on every single level.

From someone whose telling others to know what they're talking about...

Every single level? I must have missed Apple's entry into the TV market. Or the home and car audio/video markets (unless you want to count the discontinued speaker thing or the poorly selling AppleTV). Or the video recording business. Or Apple's music label? Movie studio? TV show division? Gaming division?

Should I continue?
  • Reply 39 of 213
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Playstation console business could help cement Apple as a powerful force in gaming covering handhelds to consoles. And with a little work the playstation would be a heck of a "Super Atv" and we would finally have bluray on a mac. ;-)

Great.

Now explain how to go from being a "powerful force in gaming" to actually making money?

C.
  • Reply 40 of 213
    I don't see Apple buying Sony, but I would love, love, love for them to buy Adobe. Adobe's support is the worst possible.