Electronics giant Sony rumored for potential Apple acquisition

Comments

• Reply 41 of 213
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shiesl View Post

I don't see Apple buying Sony, but I would love, love, love for them to buy Adobe. Adobe's support is the worst possible.

Apple owning Adobe would get them what? Exactly?

C.
  • Reply 42 of 213
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    This just goes to show how stupid rumors like this get started. Sculley makes a comment and some analysis says apple has enough money to by sony and the next thing you know Apple is buying Sony...

People are idiots but yet again someone made some big money on this rumor.

Apples is only to going to buy companies which are small and can be easily integrated into apple and which provides an element to jobs bigger picture. You just have to look at Apples track record on this subject to realize what are buy out targets and Adobe is not one of them nor is Disney.
  • Reply 43 of 213
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Even more stupid than the Facebook rumor. I'd much rather see Apple buy someone, for example, like Pioneer with a market cap of 1B and some of the best TV and audio technology in the industry.

Spending between 33 and 50B on Sony makes little sense. Steve admired the Sony of 25 years ago, and wanted to be like the Sony of 25 years ago - not the Sony of today. If Sony could be bought for a few billion, then perhaps I'd entertain the idea, but not when it takes all of Apple's cash away and makes no stratigic sense, really.

I'm disappointed in AI for running with this trash-story.
  • Reply 44 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

This is, by far, the stupidest idea or rumour that I have ever, ever read in this site.

The most stupid takeover rumor that I have read: Lenovo wants to buy AMD. I read that yesterday in yahoo financial news.
  • Reply 45 of 213
    2 cents2 cents Posts: 307member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

This is, by far, the stupidest idea or rumour that I have ever, ever read in this site.

To consider that so many schmucks happily entered the bandwagon on the trade exchange is stunning. It's quite informative on the complete lack of rationality of the markets.

Agreed. Personally, I think the daily market trading runs on stupidity and misinformation. I can see the people at the top laughing as all the would-be Gordon Geckos work their ETRADE accounts into a frenzy, never stopping to to think before they act.
  • Reply 46 of 213
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Great! I want a slimmer PS3.
  • Reply 47 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

From someone whose telling others to know what they're talking about...

Every single level? I must have missed Apple's entry into the TV market. Or the home and car audio/video markets (unless you want to count the discontinued speaker thing or the poorly selling AppleTV). Or the video recording business. Or Apple's music label? Movie studio? TV show division? Gaming division?

Should I continue?

Yeah, and all those great product-market segments like TVs, home/car audio/video, recording/music label business, etc. must be why Sony lost ¥40B in FY2010, on top of a ¥100B loss in 2009.

Do continue.....
  • Reply 48 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Even more stupid than the Facebook rumor. I'd much rather see Apple buy someone, for example, like Pioneer with a market cap of 1B and some of the best TV and audio technology in the industry.

Spending between 33 and 50B on Sony makes little sense. Steve admired the Sony of 25 years ago, and wanted to be like the Sony of 25 years ago - not the Sony of today. If Sony could be bought for a few billion, then perhaps I'd entertain the idea, but not when it takes all of Apple's cash away and makes no stratigic sense, really.

I'm disappointed in AI for running with this trash-story.

Oh, I think it's a fun story! Leads to all kinds of interesting conversation.

Everyone knows that the probability that it will happen is zero.
  • Reply 49 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by caliminius View Post

From someone whose telling others to know what they're talking about...

Every single level? I must have missed Apple's entry into the TV market. Or the home and car audio/video markets (unless you want to count the discontinued speaker thing or the poorly selling AppleTV). Or the video recording business. Or Apple's music label? Movie studio? TV show division? Gaming division?

Should I continue?

Simple. With a handful of gadgets and a couple of little ole Mac branded pc's Apple has enough cash on hand to buy the former gadget king of the electronic universe. And they made that pile of cash before they introduced their tv, created their movie studio and record labels, and before gaming came to the Atv.

Knowing Apple, they made profits on the Hi-Fi that other manufacturers would consider to be a success. It just wasn't enough to hold Apples interest.

IMHO Sony took diversification to far and lost their focus. Becoming very much like the Apple of the 90's.
  • Reply 50 of 213
    steve-jsteve-j Posts: 320member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

C.

The ability to stop its high-end workstation business from floundering. Without great Adobe software for the Mac, many fewer people would buy a high-end Mac.

I think that Adobe is more important to Apple than Apple is to Adobe. Adobe has been abusing Apple customers for years.
  • Reply 51 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

IMHO Sony took diversification to far and lost their focus. Becoming very much like the Apple of the 90's.

Now, that's an interesting observation. Isn't Apple even more diversified now, compared to the 90s?
  • Reply 52 of 213
    In the words of one cybernetic organism:

"No way José"

Seriously though, buying up a big company has never been apple's style. Not that they couldn't do it, but I don't see apple ever trying to integrate such a large team... apple picks their people carefully and for the most part does everything in-house. Any company apple buys would have to be a PERFECT fit for apple's ecosystem, and I don't see Sony as being anything like that.
  • Reply 53 of 213
    This just in:

Apple, with a stockpile of $51 billion, is buying Bridgestone Tire...

... oh, just a minute...

... no... they are buying Western Coal...

... hold on.. no... they are buying...
  • Reply 54 of 213
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    I know Steve liked Sony once upon a time, but what could Apple possibly have to gain by acquiring Sony? Maybe 15 years ago, but not anymore.
  • Reply 55 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

This is the #1 dumbest Apple acquisition rumor that I have EVER heard in my entire life.

This would NEVER HAPPEN IN A MILLION YEARS.

Any investor that believes this rumor deserves to lose money in the stock market, because they have no idea what they are investing in.

Apple is no longer fascinated by Sony, because Apple has crushed Sony on every single level.

There would be NOTHING AT ALL to be gained by a Sony takeover. Nothing. Sony offers absolutely nOTHING that Apple would want or need.

Hmm.. What could Apple possibly gain from buying Sony..?

I don't know.. their TV technology perhaps, or Playstation®, Sony Ericsson, Sony BMG, kill Blu-ray and VAIO?

I agree that it might not be the safest or easiest takeover, but I'm pretty sure that Apple could gain a lot from it. They could shutdown one of their main competitors within both the computer- and mobile industry, not to mention hammer a nail in the coffin of Blu-Ray technology.

And just imagine a real Apple TV, powered by Sony technology

Apple could also just go for it and buy Microsoft and Dell
  • Reply 56 of 213
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    It would make more sense for Apple to purchase a controlling interest in Disney. 51% stake. And

especially get control of the Board. Jobs already has 7% (I believe).

Apple will continue fighting with the Content providers for everything viewable. This way they will

have complete decision on what and how they can use Disney's content. This is pretty potent, if you think about it.

Of course they have Movies. Between the classics and the new fare coming out. Plus also they would get all of Pixar's stuff too. It would be a great start for them. But they also have ESPN. And with them comes all the Sports that they would need. (Of course not all the games would be included, but it would be an easier buy with this package and the Ads that Apple could provide).

Also, of great benefit would be Marvel. I think this also is gonna be huge for Disney. The current

movies that they have done, SpiderMan, X-Men, DareDevil, etc. is just the beginning. Soon, Thor,

Captain America, and others are fixing to come out. It could be a never ending smorgasbord of

classics coming to Apple.

The other Studios would be crazy in leaving Disney feed Apple with their Millions of devices, only their products.

One other thing. All those Theme Parks would also be a great place for Apple to sell stuff too.
  • Reply 57 of 213
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    The amount of people denouncing this as impossible or "never in a million years"

just goes to show how few people that participate on this site are actual financial investors.

Of course it could happen. Anything could. WTF do you know?
  • Reply 58 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

C.

It will get them Adobe PageMill
  • Reply 59 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

stupid article. Sony is WAY to big for little ol' Apple to buy them.

I'm assuming you're being sarcastic, or are you forgetting AOL buying Time=Warner?
  • Reply 60 of 213
    It would be illegal under Japanese law for Apple to purchase Sony, unlike America, Japan considers it almost like a foreign invasion for an outside company to take control of one of theirs and even if it weren't illegal, the chances of a Japanese company selling out to an American would be extremely low, Japanese people are extremely nationalistic and xenophobic and even a tad bit racist.