Electronics giant Sony rumored for potential Apple acquisition

Comments

• Reply 61 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BB Sting View Post

It would be illegal under Japanese law for Apple to purchase Sony, unlike America, Japan considers it almost like a foreign invasion for an outside company to take control of one of theirs and even if it weren't illegal, the chances of a Japanese company selling out to an American would be extremely low, Japanese people are extremely nationalistic and xenophobic and even a tad bit racist.

Oh the irony...
  • Reply 62 of 213
    Quote:

It would be illegal under Japanese law for Apple to purchase Sony, unlike America, Japan considers it almost like a foreign invasion for an outside company to take control of one of theirs and even if it weren't illegal, the chances of a Japanese company selling out to an American would be extremely low, Japanese people are extremely nationalistic and xenophobic and even a tad bit racist.

Isn't Sony traded on NYSE? I don't think Japanese law could prevent someone from buying the majority interest in Sony
  • Reply 63 of 213
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enjourni View Post

In the words of one cybernetic organism:

"No way José"

Seriously though, buying up a big company has never been apple's style.

For the most part, I agree. The largest Acquisition that I can recall Apple making was back in 97 or so was Apple buying Next for half a billion. The idea that Apple would spend multiple times that amount today is quite curious.

It's possible, but highly improbable.
  • Reply 64 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Great.

Now explain how to go from being a "powerful force in gaming" to actually making money?

C.

Well... what you quoted was the part where I was working the fool the investors angle.

How to make money off of gaming? Lets look at Sony's approach to gaming. They make it difficult and expensive to develop for the Ps3 console and Ps handhelds. Not only are they making money off the hardware they charge a eye watering, sphincter tightening fee for the SDK. And with their licensing restrictions they can be just as or even more difficult for developers to work with then Apple. Resulting in fewer developers and game titles, and fewer consoles sold.

Apple leveraged the development work done on the Mac and iOs to release a reasonably easy to use, low cost SDK. Their are thousands of pages of support and training material on Apples support site for x-code that helps the developer. Apple then gives the developer a fantastic market place, visited by millions of potential customers, to sell their products. Thus making it more desirable, easier and cost effective to develop for iOs then for Sony Ps and PS3.

In the end, the iTunes eco system, wide variety of apps and games result in a product that is attracting customers by the millions. Apple then eats the Nintendo Ds, and Sony Ps lunch and makes obscene amount of cash whilst generating a large loyal following.

Then they add the next must have little feature that drives sales to new records.

From what I have observed in the gaming market I think Sony has lost this genration of the console wars. IMHO.
  • Reply 65 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

I think that Adobe is more important to Apple than Apple is to Adobe. Adobe has been abusing Apple customers for years.

It has been highly reported that roughly half of Adobe's business is with the Mac - that makes it highly unlikely that Adobe is going to abandon them anytime soon and the huge windows based business is highly unlike what Apple would be interested in obtaining.
  • Reply 66 of 213
    tundraboytundraboy Posts: 1,885member
    On second thought, it just won't happen because Jobs is a very hands-on CEO and I believe he very well knows that there just isn't enough hours in a day for him to adequately (by his standards) oversee an Apple-Sony behemoth.
  • Reply 67 of 213
    Apple would never acquire Sony. The cultures of the two companies are just too different, and both are just way to big. However, the company I see being bought up by Apple is Nintendo. They are very similar in their market philosophy, both make products that they very aggressively try to make family friendly, despite it costing them some sales. Nintendo has kind of run the course for their current hardware generation, and are needing something pretty revolutionary to stay relevant. Besides this, Nintendo, like Apple, have always kind of went to the beat of their own drum, and in many cases, like Apple, been the better for it. Apple needs a company that has lots of valuable franchises, which Nintendo has. Nintendo could use some help I think when it comes to hardware. But in the end they are both about "The Experience" and "Playability" which I think makes them a natural match.
  • Reply 68 of 213
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diddy View Post

It has been highly reported that roughly half of Adobe's business is with the Mac - that makes it highly unlikely that Adobe is going to abandon them anytime soon and the huge windows based business is highly unlike what Apple would be interested in obtaining.

Though adobe customers have an (much worse) option other than the Mac. What they don't have a credible option for is products other than adobe's.
  • Reply 69 of 213
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    I think Apple should use some of that 51 billion to put Americans to work. Why not start manufacturing their parts in the USA? Create more Jobs, Steve! (pun intended).

Seriously, large companies in the US are sitting on top of huge cash assets that they should be spending to create jobs.

If people are not employed, they can't buy things.
  • Reply 70 of 213
    It will never ever happen. Sony has nothing worthwhile for apple. Apple already has a better music player and phone, and there have to be much cheaper companies to aquire if apple is really getting serious about going into the TV market. People may argue with me on this one, but everyone knows that Sony just cant get anything right anymore. They have so many failed formats ( except blu ray, which was the smart move) , they totally flopped with the PS3, as their own personal game studio is the only exclusives they have left, and Xbox and Wii have outsold them. Sony does think different just like Apple, but Sony just cant get it right anymore. It would be a horrible rep for apple to get. Apple doesnt need Sony's headache and their few(if any) benefits.
  • Reply 71 of 213
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I'm thinking and thinking.. WHAT could Apple be interested in with Sony?

To make AppleTV integrated in an actual TV?

To halt BluRay production?

To make all BluRay discs iTunes compatible?

To introduce iAds on Playstations.

To get Sony's factories.

Does this include Sony pictures? That could be possibly antitrust to run a movie store and own the largest movie distributor.

... I don't know.. Seems far fetched. If there truly is a plan to bid there must be some serious plans, based on information and visions not currently known. Seems far fetched to me..
  • Reply 72 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I'd rather that Apple just kept its cash, than buy a has-been electronics manufacturer from Japan with zero cultural fit.

Hang on - Apple and Sony worked together on the first Mac. They were developing a new disc format to replace the floppy but it didn't get finished.

Then Apple and Sony worked together on the Powerbook 100 in the 1990s. And Steve likes Sony. He won't be happy to see them loose their way like they have.
  • Reply 73 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuisDias View Post

This is, by far, the stupidest idea or rumour that I have ever, ever read in this site.

To consider that so many schmucks happily entered the bandwagon on the trade exchange is stunning. It's quite informative on the complete lack of rationality of the markets.

Agreed. This rumor was started and propagated by day traders who pry upon the gullible and misinformed.

Someone explain to us why Apple would buy Sony? To sell Apple re-branded clock radios? To get "free" licenses for Blu-ray drives?
  • Reply 74 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

I think Apple should use some of that 51 billion to put Americans to work. Why not start manufacturing their parts in the USA? Create more Jobs, Steve! (pun intended).

While I am sure that would be great, the problem is that it probably isn't up to Steve to make those choices. Adding manufacturing would be a costly endeavor that cannot compete with other companies who insist on Asian suppliers. I simply doubt that the board will go along with an idea that will inevitably loose money without a guarantee that it will increase revenues. The only way this could work would be if US manufacturing can approach the output that Asian suppliers can - I just don't think that they can - not unless the industry as as whole makes a move.

Apple hires local where they can, but manufacturing in the US just isn't something that the board will go for unless there is a clear profit for them.
  • Reply 75 of 213
    Apple will only by something that integrates them vertically i.e. a supplier or major customer. That could be a recordlabel or a mapcompany or a television network or a cloud service company or a cpu manufacturer or a telephone network or a social network.

It will not by a competitior such as sony. In that case it would buy a small part (record label).

However, they might just buy a part of the companies to be able to persue them to cooperate? (Kind of like how steve get disney to cooperate.)

That's what I think.
  • Reply 76 of 213
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Apple has nothing to gain from such an acquisition, Sony is a dinosour that is stagnant and has zero relevance in the tech industry today.
  • Reply 77 of 213
    benicebenice Posts: 382member
    Quote:

They should abolish that rule as it's holding Japan back. Foreign investment would help refocus management and that is exactly what Japan needs.
  • Reply 78 of 213
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    This sounds more like a Christmas present for Steve. All Sony really has is PlayStation and TV's. I would prefer they bought Adobe.
  • Reply 79 of 213
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Sony is a dinosour that is stagnant and has zero relevance in the tech industry today.

That's not entirely fair.
  • Reply 80 of 213
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

stupid article. Sony is WAY to big for little ol' Apple to buy them.

The article may be stupid or not.

However, capitalization:

Apple 280 B

Sony34 B

Now tell me, who is small and who is big.