Glitch in Apple's iOS 4.1 allows iPhone access without passcode

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    kiweekiwee Posts: 102member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

the "Share Contact" also lets you access the Messages and Mail app

If you pick a contact and try to add an existing picture to him/her you can access all the pictures in photos.. Pretty big security hole this..
  • Reply 22 of 46
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kiwee View Post

If you pick a contact and try to add an existing picture to him/her you can access all the pictures in photos.. Pretty big security hole this..

on the bright side, at least the hole isn't bad enough to just let you press the home button and have full access...
  • Reply 23 of 46
    You can get back to the lock screen using voice control, just say contacts or something else...it brings you back. Just FYI, so you don't have to place a call.
  • Reply 24 of 46
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by t2af View Post

search for 'mailtones' in the appstore .. does exactly what you are looking for ..

By forwarding all mail to their email servers? No thanks.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tulkas View Post

By forwarding all mail to their email servers? No thanks.

• Reply 26 of 46
    Oh great, its back again ...

There have been similar flaws in the past related to the locked dialer that allows the user to make calls/etc.
  • Reply 27 of 46
    Hey.. this is weird... Some got the glitch working, some didn't...

As for mine, no matter how fast I promptly click the hardware lock button, the screen just went blank. However, when I unlock the phone, I found myself on my Contacts list...

So, perhaps the so said "glitch" really does exist, but not on my phone... (still on IPhone 3Gs iOS 4.1 Model MC133ID)
  • Reply 28 of 46
    Just curious how many iPhone owners actually use the lock. I never have and I'm on my third iPhone. I'll bet I'm not alone. Not saying it's smart, it's just reality.
  • Reply 29 of 46
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Just curious how many iPhone owners actually use the lock. I never have and I'm on my third iPhone. I'll bet I'm not alone. Not saying it's smart, it's just reality.

Me either. My phone is either in my possession or on the night stand while i'm asleep or in the shower, plus there is nothing to hide anyway. Of course there was that one instance where it went through the washing machine and it came out permanently locked.
  • Reply 30 of 46
    Quote:

Why the eyerolls? You would be ok forwarding your work email through a third party mail server? Your boss would be ok with that? I work with a lot of NDA materials in email, so it wouldn't fly for me.
  • Reply 31 of 46
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    I was wondering when AI would post about this. I thought perhaps they wouldn't post anything at all (since I equate them with being the Fox News of Apple news.)
  • Reply 32 of 46
    which version of the ipod touch does it affect?
  • Reply 33 of 46
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    I have a pasword and not a passcode. I don't have that problem on iPhone 4 running IOS 4.1.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abeAI View Post

Any running 4.1
  • Reply 35 of 46
    Quote:

Same. I used to have a passcode but got tired of having to enter it several times a day.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abeAI View Post

Quote:

Any running 4.1

So uh, how does one get into emergency call mode on an iPod running 4.1?
  • Reply 37 of 46
    Quote:

I enabled the password lock for the first time today just to see if I could get this bug to work.

With how often I lock and unlock my phone I wouldn't want to have it on all the time. It doesn't seem like the bug is very easy to do. I got it to work on my third try, but couldn't get it to do it again after that.
  • Reply 38 of 46
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

If you connect your iPhone to a company's Exchange server with ActiveSync, know that the Exchange admins can force your iPhone to require a code to unlock it. Just curious how many Fortune 500 companies and all those other corporations actually force this requirement on their mobile phones.
  • Reply 39 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranger_one View Post

As someone who keeps his phone locked? there are some other things I'd like to see "fixed":

ICE: It would be fantastic if emergency response personnel could access the ICE (In Case of Emergency) number in the address book without needing the phone's unlock code. Apple could add a button to the unlock screen that displays the ICE record (and only that record) from the address book. Just providing a "Dial ICE" button wouldn't work because there's no guarantee the iPhone will be able to make a cell connection.

I've wished for this feature for a long time! I even submitted the idea to Apple Feedback, but no hint that it'll ever be implemented. Are there any stats on how many people actually lock their iPhones?
  • Reply 40 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Me either. My phone is either in my possession or on the night stand while i'm asleep or in the shower, plus there is nothing to hide anyway. Of course there was that one instance where it went through the washing machine and it came out permanently locked.

But most people do have confidential information on their phones...
    • apps that provide access to external accounts, such as banks, one-click shopping, online document storage like iDisk, etc.

• contacts that they don't want to share with the world.

• email and sms threads that they don't want compromised.

• photos of their kids, etc.

• nevermind the fact that someone can use your phone.

The large enterprise I work for hasn't forced the keycode lock on us, but they sent out a strongly-worded warning a couple years ago after what appeared to be a corporate espionage mission that involved several executives' phones being stolen. It was pretty clear that anyone compromising corporate data by losing their cell phone would be in hot water, and they did tell everyone they should use a passcode.

Personally, I always lock my iPhone, and 4 of the 5 guys I work with lock theirs as well.