Microsoft releases Office 2011 for Mac with Outlook, cloud support

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 48
    Does anyone know if this version of Office allows a Mac user to connect remotely to a Win PC using Mircosoft's Remote Web Workplace? Absence of ActiveX in OSX precludes this now.
  • Reply 22 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post


    Gordon Werner was commenting on the OP from AppleInsider. He is correct. Nobody "loves" Microsoft Office. It is a necessary evil. Some have doubts about the "necessary." However, the major selling point for the suite is that it provides compatibility with Microsoft Office for Windows. That's not love. Nobody "loves" Microsoft Office. You declare that you love Microsoft Office. In so doing, you defined yourself.



    No, I love my Wife, my Children, and my family. I don't LOVE Steve Jobs, a piece of software, or an inanimate machine. I don't "HATE" anything....



    MS Office isn't a "necessary evil" - it's the best piece of Office Productivity software in the world. I don't' HATE "numbers" nor do I "Love" Excel, ... I don't "LOVE" my Mac, nor Do I "HATE" PCs..



    By making your stupid rant in a conversation that you weren't even involved in defines YOU sir.. And you are a everyday run of the mill fanboy - a brainwashed kid unable to think straight who HATES all products that don't have an Apple Logo on them, and LOVES all Apple products because they are so ELEGANT, DELICIOUS, and SEXY and any number of other silly descriptions fanboys make when they can't back up their argument with facts. (I know, everything without an Apple is "CLUNKY, and CRAPPY")!!!



    BTW, iWORK is a pile of scrap, .. that's not being said as a "Hater" , but by someone who started out using Wordstar, dBASE II, and Multiplan since the early 80's and understands REQUIRED features and REQUIRED compatibility issues.



    Of course, features and compatibility mean little to you, do they? I think your argument in this kind of debate is limited to "wooo hoo MS SUCKS, Go STEVE"!!!
  • Reply 23 of 48
    Way too many stories about this POS.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    Wooo hooo MS sucks! Go Steve! (However, thank you Bill and Melinda for working to eradicate off-the-radar diseases.)
  • Reply 25 of 48
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 2,462member
    Pogue isn't too excited. ("Office for Mac Isn't an Improvement")



    http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/...n-improvement/
  • Reply 26 of 48
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Compared to using iWork Numbers, I “loves” MS Office Excel.



    Yup love the new office. Loved it ever since I installed the bata. Already paid for it and installed it on the mac. Love the full screen mode for reading, excel is nice and intuitive, no more doubling up of functions between menu and that hover menu thing. Outlook is doing great and displaced mail as my default mail client.



    Office 11 already made reading court cases for school easier and accounting with excel in Mac is as nice as in Windows. Plus the speed is way better then 08, even after 3 years performance of updates MS has issued to it.
  • Reply 27 of 48
    Quote:

    "As someone who works at Microsoft and deals with Apple often, I acknowledge that our companies compete," Wilfrid said. "Some people choose Windows, and some people choose Mac. That conflict tends to get a lot of attention, but I deal in the reality that there are customers who love their Macs and also love using Office."



    I think these guys at Ms are bafoons. It's not Apple vs Microsoft*, hasn't been for a while. Apple is a hardware company that does software to sell more hardware. Every single mac sold today is also a potential Windows machine and judging from what I have seen many are running some version of Windows. I would even wager that a couple of those installations weren't pirated.

    This is not a zero sum gain, not every dollar Apple earns is a dollar that Ms lost. There is no conflict.*



    Those ass hats that run that company have needlessly ingrained such a cut throat, dominating, greedy, screw everyone type culture that they fail to see the opportunity thats right there in front of them. They keep worrying about Windows where they already have 90% + of the pie but must have another 2%.



    Hey Ms how about trying something new? Create some new and useful (if tasteless) software that isn't office. Make a mac version. Hell create something that customers want and is engineered beyond the baseline (completes installation before going bsd?) Hell make a product that doesn't need the better part of a decade and billions of dollars in subsidies to succeed (looking at you x-box).



    Treat your mac customers like...valued customers. Release software for the Mac because you want our business and at least pretend to respect us in the morning.



    I think you will find there is a lot more money to be made when you act like a software company and not the 800 pound gorilla with monopoly thats to big to fail.



    And finally, after so many years and billions of dollars in revenue, thank you for a version of Mac Office that sucks only most of the time.



    *I do admit that some long time users may still see it as conflict where Ms must fail for Apple to win.
  • Reply 28 of 48
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 716member
    Nice review. Dan can hardly conceal his hatred for MS products then grits his teeth and plugs it for 4 stars!



    Hate to admit it, but that's how I feel about Office too. Excel is nice. Nice in the way that it's sort of comfortable. Everyone uses it. But it is clumsy and inelegant. Just the default color swatch choices alone scream classless.



    Numbers should be better. Not sure why basic functions like border controls need to be so strange and difficult. I want to love Numbers, but there are enough quirks that it's not worth the switch.



    So in my world, it's Excel and Pages. Word might work for serious writers, but Pages shows what Apple can do when they get it right.



    I'm looking forward to the iWork upgrade. I'm crossing my fingers that Apple copies a lot of what's in Excel that is good while blending in their classy and functional GUI.
  • Reply 29 of 48
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bibbler View Post


    ...



    Of course, features and compatibility mean little to you, do they? I think your argument in this kind of debate is limited to "wooo hoo MS SUCKS, Go STEVE"!!!



    This is my 2,468th post on this forum. In the 2,468th that went before, you will find this from me not once. In those that follow, you will find that statement never.



    What you are doing is called "projecting." You don't have to hide your feelings. You're in love and you have it bad.
  • Reply 30 of 48
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post


    Yup love the new office. Loved it ever since I installed the bata. Already paid for it and installed it on the mac. Love the full screen mode for reading, excel is nice and intuitive, no more doubling up of functions between menu and that hover menu thing. Outlook is doing great and displaced mail as my default mail client.



    Office 11 already made reading court cases for school easier and accounting with excel in Mac is as nice as in Windows. Plus the speed is way better then 08, even after 3 years performance of updates MS has issued to it.



    I was hoping Outlook would satisfy my desire to have mail, address book and calendar in one app, but it doesn't it's too busy an pointlessly complex, IMO. To be fair, I haven't tried to optimize to fit my particular interests yet, but what little time I've spent with it wasn't enjoyable. I'll probably work on that this weekend.



    PS: Pages, at the very least, has a full page option that I like.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Just got an email from Apple Introducing Microsoft Office for Mac 2011.
  • Reply 32 of 48
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post


    While I want to to install and get rid of 2008, I won't be updating until we get our exchange 2010 server up and running. We're on 03 for the moment.



    Ditto. The thing to note here is that 2008 is that bad that I can't wait to get rid of it, not that there is a whole lot new in 2011 that I really want or need.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    pbpb Posts: 4,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iluomo View Post


    1 GB of RAM recommended

    2.5 GB of available hard disk space



    2.5 GB for an office suite? This is not just bloated, this is montgolfière.
  • Reply 34 of 48
    by the way: Microsoft Office for Mac Home and Student 2011 has, other than the 2008 Version, no Outlook (Yes, I know, the 2008 has not Outlook, it has InToRage)!
  • Reply 35 of 48
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joergsi View Post


    ... (Yes, I know, the 2008 has not Outlook, it has InToRage)!



    Just to be clear, Outlook 2011 is the new name for Entourage 14. It is a minor feature upgrade to Entourage 2008 EWS (13). Unlike Entourage 2008 (12), it is incompatible with Exchange Server older than Exchange 2007. This is a carry-over from Entourage 2008 EWS (13). If your Exchange Server is older than Exchange 2007, then you must stick with Entourage 2008 (12). Get your brain around this: iPhone Mail handles Exchange 2003 just fine, but Microsoft Entourage 2008 EWS (13) and Microsoft Outlook 2011 do not.
  • Reply 36 of 48
    I like bashing MS as much as the next Mac fanboy, but I must admit this latest version of Office is remarkable. I earn part of my living as a copywriter. For me and my clients, MS Word is a fact of life. I use another program, Scrivener, to center all my research and create drafts, but I export documents to Word before submitting work to clients. Office 2011 has learned a thing or two from Pages which is a good thing. Word opens much, much faster than previous versions. As other have said, if Word is a part of your work life, this upgrade is indeed a "no-brainer."
  • Reply 37 of 48
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post


    Just to be clear, Outlook 2011 is the new name for Entourage 14. It is a minor feature upgrade to Entourage 2008 EWS (13). Unlike Entourage 2008 (12), it is incompatible with Exchange Server older than Exchange 2007. This is a carry-over from Entourage 2008 EWS (13). If your Exchange Server is older than Exchange 2007, then you must stick with Entourage 2008 (12). Get your brain around this: iPhone Mail handles Exchange 2003 just fine, but Microsoft Entourage 2008 EWS (13) and Microsoft Outlook 2011 do not.



    I assume that is intentional, and MS is trying to cripple Mac Office. \
  • Reply 38 of 48
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post


    I assume that is intentional, and MS is trying to cripple Mac Office. \



    In the case of your assertion that it is intentional, well "duh!" You can't very well develop or release an application as big as Entourage EWS or Outlook 2011 by accident. As for the "cripple Mac Office part," I'm not sure that I agree. But then, I am also not sure that it matters. There are major differences between in the roles that Office plays on Windows and the role that it plays on the Mac. To a large fraction of Windows users, Office is Windows. They use Office instead of Windows Explorer to browse their file system. This is to say that they don't know where Windows ends and Office begins. To the average Mac user, Office is just an application from [the cursed] Microsoft Corporation. Even among Office:mac fans, it does not play the essential role in their computer experience that Office:win plays for Windows users.



    The World changes and sometimes it changes suddenly. October 2010 saw the World turn upside down for Apple. For Apple, this is a very good thing. It is on the verge of becoming the World's highest capitalized company. Later this month, Apple reportedly surpassed Microsoft in sales. Sales trends show that Apple continues a trend of exponential growth. Microsoft is in linear growth with indications of saturation.



    What was Microsoft's response? It introduced Office 2011 with the most onerous activation scheme of any Microsoft product ever. As of now, Office:mac's salvation is that it is perceived as a requirement for business owing to its compatibility with Office:win. Office:win compatibility was the dominant consideration when Microsoft was the alpha dog of the computer industry. As Apple surges ahead, however, other considerations may become more important which may, in turn, give other developers an opportunity to get their feet into the door. The new MacOS X App Store will virtually eliminate the structural barriers to entry for these new players.



    Good morning. A new world is dawning.
  • Reply 39 of 48
    I'm just curious how Outlook handles MobileMe now, since Entourage never worked well with it.
  • Reply 40 of 48
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AliasWyvernspur View Post


    I'm just curious how Outlook handles MobileMe now, since Entourage never worked well with it.



    Handles MobileMe how?
Sign In or Register to comment.