Apple's Steve Jobs 'raged' at Steve Ballmer when Microsoft bought Halo

Comments

• Reply 21 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Are we sure this story is accurate? All the junk I've read on the web over the decades is that Steve Jobs has been extraordinarily anti-game on the Mac platform. He wanted the Mac to be treated as a serious business machine (for the rest of us?). Hard to believe he'd then have a fit when a gaming vendor left the platform. Then again, he's supposedly a fairly mercurial personality.

He is personally not a game player. That doesn't mean he doesn't want games on the Mac. At the time he was struggling with keeping developers on the Mac, so not too hard to understand. I'm not sure that mercurial is the best word for him because he is driven by reason. Everything he does is well thought out. The closest thing is when he makes a decision he acts swiftly on it.

I think so many people like to work for Apple because of Steve's (and now Apple's) personality. He is uncompromising. He is not going to mess up products or designs in the sake of compromise. He does what needs to be done. Could you see someone like Jonny Ive working at HP where he would have to report to 50 managers who all want to see their little idea incorporated in?
  • Reply 22 of 129
    yeah thats the one of the last smart things Steve Ballmer did .
  • Reply 23 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Can't blame Bungie for selling out but if Jobs thought very highly of this company then he should've just bought them.

I think he's catching on, realizing that Microsoft's acquisitions are just about grabbing intellectual rights or new talent but about grabbing market. Apple has more than enough money now to make Microsoft very nervous, and I think that is why we are seeing them all of a sudden become a lot friendlier to Apple.

If Apple acquires Sony it would be a HUGE deal, not only would they get Sony game titles but it would immediately put them in the business of general consumer electronics. Not sure it's going to happen but it would bring blu-ray to the Mac paltform & iOS could eventually become a staple OS for many Sony devices. Name mergers would take years but it would be no small deal if it happens.
  • Reply 24 of 129
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Apple did the same with Shake, Final Cut, iTunes and Logic. What goes around comes around.

iTunes? Last I checked, that has been multi-platform for several years now - about 6 version numbers ago...
  • Reply 25 of 129
    As I recall, Bungie wouldn't shut up about the dropping of Sprockets internally and how that was the last straw because Apple was killing Mac Game Development.

They weren't getting the same treatment as Carmack and boo hoo they just weren't going to take it anymore.

It's amazing how a decade moves forward and you see how big the Mac expanded platform has become and now you are hinting?

Either you have been developing for the past 3 years since the split or you're way behind, Bungie.

Either way, you won't be courted like you wanted then, even now.
  • Reply 26 of 129
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post

How many times will we hear about Steve's kurt and inappropriate comments? Is it not enough to be leading one of the highest valued companies? His narcissistic personality was old last century and I can only hope that his "handlers" would get a tighter rein on him. I love their products even though many of them have had to be replaced because of poor quality control. But I am committed to the system and going over to a PC would be counterproductive. So, how about a little more innovation and a little less conversation.

For cripes sake, that was 10 years ago.

And do you know what the definition of narcissistic really means. For a person who has helped drive down the prices of software, hardware, music, wireless data plans, etc., than anyone else, you call him selfish.

Can you name one company that Apple bought out in an attempt to crush the competition to the technology?
  • Reply 27 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

I think he's catching on, realizing that Microsoft's acquisitions are just about grabbing intellectual rights or new talent but about grabbing market. Apple has more than enough money now to make Microsoft very nervous, and I think that is why we are seeing them all of a sudden become a lot friendlier to Apple.

If Apple acquires Sony it would be a HUGE deal, not only would they get Sony game titles but it would immediately put them in the business of general consumer electronics. Not sure it's going to happen but it would bring blu-ray to the Mac paltform & iOS could eventually become a staple OS for many Sony devices. Name mergers would take years but it would be no small deal if it happens.

Apple doesn't buy massively indebted corporations with huge financial obligations to employees.

SONY has nearly a 10:1 debt ratio and > 170,000 employees. Not going to happen.
  • Reply 28 of 129
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    This may only good strategic decision to be accredited to Ballmer.
  • Reply 29 of 129
    Quote:

Are we sure this story is accurate? All the junk I've read on the web over the decades is that Steve Jobs has been extraordinarily anti-game on the Mac platform. He wanted the Mac to be treated as a serious business machine (for the rest of us?). Hard to believe he'd then have a fit when a gaming vendor left the platform. Then again, he's supposedly a fairly mercurial personality.

I'm thinking the loss of Bungie to Microsoft might have solidified his lack of support for gaming on Mac.
  • Reply 30 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Apple doesn't buy massively indebted corporations with huge financial obligations to employees.

SONY has nearly a 10:1 debt ratio and > 170,000 employees. Not going to happen.

I wonder if they could buy a controlling interest without acquiring the company outright? Maybe something like the relationship that Apple has to Disney? Buy up shares to become the largest holder and get a seat on the Board? Before anyone calls me stupid, I'm just asking a rhetorical question to stimulate discussion, okay?
  • Reply 31 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

For cripes sake, that was 10 years ago.

You know... I hope some day I'm famous enough that 10 years after I make an angry phone call people are still talking about it.
  • Reply 32 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justflybob View Post

Seriously, is this what passes for "news" these days?

"As the world turns slowly through the days of our lives of the young and the restless, my children, the bold and the beautiful, spend their time at general hospital."

There, that should hold everyone until AI comes up with some more "news".

How true!

AI should now adopt the tag "Don't bother to read: old hat ahead."
  • Reply 33 of 129
    With APP STORE for MAC.

There will be plenty of games for MAC.

Including those developed by bungie.
  • Reply 34 of 129
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Quote:

I'm thinking the loss of Bungie to Microsoft might have solidified his lack of support for gaming on Mac.

I'm sure it did. I'm also pretty sure Steve doesn't really give a shit about the gaming market on the Mac still, though. And that may also have been solidified by this deal. Remember how he wanted to turn the Mac into the best gaming platform there is, back in 1998? What has become of that? Then again, the future of games is not in the PC either. It's in iOS and consoles. Sad, but true.
  • Reply 35 of 129
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Not Unlike Myself View Post

You know... I hope some day I'm famous enough that 10 years after I make an angry phone call people are still talking about it.

Or even remember our names.
  • Reply 36 of 129
    Quote:

It's most definitely true. It was one of the most egregious examples of poaching in the industry.

The first anyone heard of Halo, was when Steve Jobs introduced it on stage at an Apple event. It stunned the crowd because at the time it was beyond leading edge graphics and so forth. He finished the announcement with a statement that it was coming "exclusively to the mac" in the near future.

You don't get any closer to a "done deal" than that, but then Microsoft bought them out from underneath Apple for the express purpose of shutting Apple out.

It was a very dirty deal IMO. I'm not sure who's most at fault, Bungie or Microsoft, but someone (probably lots of someones) seriously compromised their morals with this deal.
  • Reply 37 of 129
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

I wonder if they could buy a controlling interest without acquiring the company outright? Maybe something like the relationship that Apple has to Disney? Buy up shares to become the largest holder and get a seat on the Board? Before anyone calls me stupid, I'm just asking a rhetorical question to stimulate discussion, okay?

It might attract the attention of competition regulators if two competing companies shared board members.
  • Reply 38 of 129
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    And hence, the trolls come out yet again for any opportunity to Jobs-bash...

I call BS on this article. This is being made out to be a Ballmer chair-throwing incident about something that SUPPOSEDLY happened 10 YEARS AGO and people are just falling for it and thinking it is fact.

Job's is a lot of things, but the thought of him just calling up Ballmer and yelling at him over a business deal, honestly does not ring true with me. Hell, if that were the case, Ballmer should have a red-phone on his desk that connects directly to Jobs to yell at him for each time Job's smacks him in the business world.

Jobs won't whine and bi*ch to someone. He'll simply think of something methodical and ruthless to return the favor in the typical, surgical fashion that Apple is known for being.

Bungie used to be a great shop. Went downhill quickly after MS's purchase. Typical Microsoft. Acquire good people / shops, and figure out a way to ruin it.
  • Reply 39 of 129
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kakeroat View Post

With APP STORE for MAC.

There will be plenty of games for MAC.

Including those developed by bungie.

STOP SPELLING "Mac" IN ALL CAPS!!
  • Reply 40 of 129
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Yes, please, it gives me goosebumps and makes you look like a complete tech illiterate.