Apple's Steve Jobs 'raged' at Steve Ballmer when Microsoft bought Halo

Comments

• Reply 61 of 129
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That is how I feel. It just doesn?t ring true. Jobs may have been annoyed by MS buying Bungie, but that was a strategic, well played business move.

Jobs goes on his rants, but they are usually keen summations regarding what he feels is wrong with other companies? and he?s usually ?dead on balls? accurate. But to complain to Ballmar about a purchase just doesn?t sound like him.

I hear ya. The rants that people are posting on here attacking Jobs - based on a RUMOR not fact - just proves that these folks are either trolling, or can be played like a violin. Maybe both? \
  • Reply 62 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kakeroat View Post

With APP STORE for MAC.

There will be plenty of games for MAC.

Including those developed by bungie.

No. There won't. Because the last Bungie game developed for the Mac by Bungie was Oni in 1997. Since then, Halo (only the first one) was ported by a third-party studio and Bungie has been purchased by a company that will NEVER give them up.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Drow_Swordsman View Post

Halo 1 was awesome on the XBox, sorry Jobs. It would've stayed as a niche Mac game if it was released on the Mac.

If it was great on your console, it would have been the same on the computer. This is nonsense.
  • Reply 63 of 129
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Microsoft managed to bring that game to far more people than it would have seen on a Mac.

There was never any mention that this was going to be a "Mac Only" game.

It was originally scheduled to come out on the Mac first.
  • Reply 64 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

They do if they think it can be turned around. Contracts get re-negotiated all the time & unfortunately for the employees excessiveness often gets canned during a buy out.

Again, I also said I have doubts, but you oversimplify the situation. It would be far worse for Microsoft to move in & grab them up, that would really put some serious hurt on Apple.

No they don't.

You don't buy a company that bad and dump in tens of billions on a whim. Apple will design ideas they think Sony should have made and release them for the Mac Platform.

Steve has admired certain parts of Sony all the way back when we were at NeXT. He even mentioned a few times during the merger with Apple [back when SONY was hot] how Apple could be the next SONY.

Apple has far surpassed the next SONY.

No. They won't waste their assets on the past. They are learning where SONY fails and moving into new frontiers.
  • Reply 65 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post

How many times will we hear about Steve's kurt and inappropriate comments? Is it not enough to be leading one of the highest valued companies? His narcissistic personality was old last century and I can only hope that his "handlers" would get a tighter rein on him. I love their products even though many of them have had to be replaced because of poor quality control. But I am committed to the system and going over to a PC would be counterproductive. So, how about a little more innovation and a little less conversation.

Hearsay from a biased source. Wow. How many times will we hear from whiners who can't separate fact from hearsay, who would rather believe the worst of someone, especially someone an order of magnitude more successful and well-known. This continuing morbid fascination with the personality of Steve Jobs, known for his intensity and directness, is really rather silly. How in fact did you get to "narcissistic personality"? And as compared to whom? What CEO is not driven, direct and intense? Know any personally in the Fortune 10? 100? 500? You sound more "trapped" than committed. Perhaps a change is in order, because I can deduce from your comments that you would rather deal with the "quality control" of say Dell, or Acer or HP - who have much better QC than Apple. Don't they? So how about some tolerance for diversity in personality? How about lauding the personalities that drive innovation (not worship, just laud) and chuckle with a knowing wink when the Gateses, the Ballmerses, the Jobses, Schmidtses and so on demonstrate a little personality and intensity. Even when it is most rumor and innuendo.

And why WOULDN'T Microsoft try to cherry-pick Bungie - a demonstrated hit maker to bring a strong game to the nascent XBox system? It was a double win because it took away a game developer from the Mac platform as well - very clever monkey-man! This is corporate life folks and if it pissed off Steveo - well there you go, why not pile on while Jobsie is try to pull Apple out of the grave. C'mon, this is how corporations play -it ain't nice pretty and polite, except when absolutely necessary. You think this is bad you should try peeking into something like the finance industry...
  • Reply 66 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

A small fraction of that could have been his own offer and he wouldn't have to have had another of his infamous tantrums.

It's tough for some people when they learn that you can't have the world for free.

"Something is happening to Steve that's sad and not pretty."

- a friend of Steve's

http://folklore.org/StoryView.py?pro...le_Kingdom.txt

It is amazing that some people take the word of journalists which like lawyer and politicians, are considered survey after survey, the most untrusted of all vocations.

Interesting that the author of your reference, journalist Mark Moritz, has other points of view in Bloomberg's 45 minute TV show, "Bloomberg Game Changers: Steve Jobs," now that he is a venture capitalist.

http://www.bloomberg.com/video/63722844/

The author of the article I cited was Andy Hertzfeld. Ever heard of him? He's not a venture capitalist.

The quote I used from Mr. Hertzfeld's article was from a friend of Steve's, not the journalist.

I made no reference to anything Mr. Moritz wrote at all, then or now. That's your own distraction.

The quote I used from that article was merely to show how little things change - here's one from a very recent Apple employee:

Quote:

No one greets him or says hi to him. Low ranking employees are afraid of him. I remember him walking around the campus one time and groups of people in his way would just split and let him walk through.

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple...-return-2009-8

No, that first-hand account didn't give their name either. When dealing with Jobs, all fear being wished into the corn field.
  • Reply 67 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

It was not scheduled to be released on the Mac first, it was always intended to be released simultaneously (both Mac and Windows). I know this because I heard their pitch at E3 before it was announced at macworld later that year.

Helpful Link: http://pc.ign.com/articles/068/068975p1.html
  • Reply 68 of 129
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    who is having the last laugh now, I think Apple (Jobs) got back at MS already and did it in a way that makes it hard to MS to say Apple did the same thing they did. Right now MS can not pay enough to get developers to develop games and such for their mobile platform.

It is one thing to buy a company and change it market direction, however it is another thing when a bunch a companies think it is too costly to make product for your products.

I think MS is living the results of their actions in the past, and Job is a lot more savvy how he did it.
  • Reply 69 of 129
    Quote:

Steve Jobs may be highly demanding. But to characterize him as mercurial, is totally without foundation.

mer·cu·ri·al

   mer-kyoor-ee-uhl

?adjective

changeable; volatile; fickle; flighty; erratic: a mercurial nature.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mercurial
  • Reply 70 of 129
    Quote:

Who are you talking about

The only ones crying today are Microsoft and Bungie.

Certainly not Apple.

I meant Jobs. Not y'all. Sorry.
  • Reply 71 of 129
    It appears as if no one at Microsoft has a proper grasp of the English Language.

I speak English good.
  • Reply 72 of 129
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:

What about my comment warrants your response?

Did I say it was going to be Mac Only or did I say Microsoft brought it to a larger audience than Mac ever would?

I have a feeling once the company saw all that cash in front of them and the prospect of such a large user base, they couldn't give less of a shit about whether it was intended as Mac-Only.

I'm merely pointing out why the company sold out in the first place, and why Jobs scream fest didn't matter for Halo.
  • Reply 73 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Microsoft managed to bring that game to far more people than it would have seen on a Mac.

In your opinion.

In fact Apple sold a lot more Macs in the time frame than Microsoft has sold Xbox.

Lots of the early adopters of Xbox bought it for Halo, do you think they may have bought Macs instead maybe?
  • Reply 74 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ricardo Dawkins View Post

and where is the Apple Pippin2?

Unless Apple is developing a home console, I don't know what company is gonna write a AAA game made only for the Mac.

Games need only a subset of OS instructions, I suspect Apple's gaming aspirations are better suited to future iterations of iOS than OS X.

• Reply 75 of 129
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

It's most definitely true. It was one of the most egregious examples of poaching in the industry.

The first anyone heard of Halo, was when Steve Jobs introduced it on stage at an Apple event. It stunned the crowd because at the time it was beyond leading edge graphics and so forth. He finished the announcement with a statement that it was coming "exclusively to the mac" in the near future.

You don't get any closer to a "done deal" than that, but then Microsoft bought them out from underneath Apple for the express purpose of shutting Apple out.

It was a very dirty deal IMO. I'm not sure who's most at fault, Bungie or Microsoft, but someone (probably lots of someones) seriously compromised their morals with this deal.

You can thank the recent (last 20 years) decimation of antitrust enforcement in this country. With the settlement of the suit against Microsoft, the government made it clear that violating antitrust laws could be done nearly with impunity. Sad.
  • Reply 76 of 129
    rogue27rogue27 Posts: 607member
    Steve making an angry call to Microsoft over the Bungie buyout was common news 10 years ago. Why is it being posted today?
  • Reply 77 of 129
    Quote:

For cripes sake, that was 10 years ago.

And do you know what the definition of narcissistic really means. For a person who has helped drive down the prices of software, hardware, music, wireless data plans, etc., than anyone else, you call him selfish.

Can you name one company that Apple bought out in an attempt to crush the competition to the technology?

Er...Finger Works?
  • Reply 78 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You can thank the recent (last 20 years) decimation of antitrust enforcement in this country. With the settlement of the suit against Microsoft, the government made it clear that violating antitrust laws could be done nearly with impunity. Sad.

This statement is way far overboard. For one thing, the antitrust suit against Microsoft was filed during the Clinton administration. That was quite a bit less than 20 years ago. Antitrust law enforcement was hardly decimated at that time. For another, it's hardly clear that Microsoft buying Bungie was any kind of antitrust law violation. In fact it's nothing more than a fantasy. Finally, we've had several thread full of cranky posts about the FTC's investigating claims against Apple, as though the entire capitalist system is under threat the moment the FTC even looks into a complaint. Sounds like we're experiencing a whole lot of wanting to have it both ways.
  • Reply 79 of 129
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

The author of the article I cited was Andy Hertzfeld. Ever heard of him? He's not a venture capitalist.

The quote I used from Mr. Hertzfeld's article was from a friend of Steve's, not the journalist.

I made no reference to anything Mr. Moritz wrote at all, then or now. That's your own distraction.

The quote I used from that article was merely to show how little things change - here's one from a very recent Apple employee:

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple...-return-2009-8

No, that first-hand account didn't give their name either. When dealing with Jobs, all fear being wished into the corn field.

You are correct. It was in an anecdote written in 1982. Two years before the intro of the Mac.

"The (Time) cover story did include another profile of Steve Jobs, containing some comments that were less than complimentary. One unspecified friend was quoted saying "something is happening to Steve that's sad and not pretty", but the best quote was attributed to Jef Raskin: "He would have made an excellent King of France."

Obviously, I attributed an anecdote written by another about an article written by another journalist.

No wonder people can't trust the media.
  • Reply 80 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigdaddyp View Post

Er...Finger Works?

Yeah, and then you have all the suggestions that Apple should buy Adobe and kill off their Windows products.