Apple delays launch of white iPhone 4 until Spring 2011

Comments

• Reply 21 of 57
    -ag--ag- Posts: 123member
    The point being there is no "official" notification from Apple atm.

Just something that could have been taken out of context.
  • Reply 22 of 57
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -AG- View Post

The point being there is no "official" notification from Apple atm.

Just something that could have been taken out of context.

Huh? How do you take that statement from an Apple spokesman to an Apple-happy website out of context?
  • Reply 23 of 57
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by -AG- View Post

I often wonder if these people use something like this to write their stories...

More like a writer's version of "Bullsh*t Bingo."
  • Reply 24 of 57
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Huh? How do you take that statement from an Apple spokesman to an Apple-happy website out of context?

Around here? All too easily.
  • Reply 25 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

White iPhones can be attractive to men too. I can definitely relate to wanting a certain color for the interior of a new car. Cars are expensive things, you have to live with them, it makes no sense buying unless you're fully satisfied.

The exterior color of a car can affect how it absorbs the sun (a little). We wanted a medium blue but settled for a dark cherry 2007 Mazda 6 wagon because the blue was only available on the hatchback (despite that we were custom ordering the car). The color of the interior both affects sun absorption and how well it hides the dirt...

The Contour Showcase is probably one of the few cases where the color of the iPhone is obvious (as in *really* with a clear window over most of the back). I also like mine for its tolerance of my being a klutz... I've dropped it numerous times on the floor, including once where this rude asian man in the Stonestown Apple Store knocked it out of my hands while I was talking to an employee (and he continued walking out of the store without saying a word). The biggest drop was my daughter's at the DePaul campus of SHCP where she dropped it from the second floor to the first down a stairway.
  • Reply 26 of 57
    The white launches with the mythical Verizon iPhone. I am wondering how many preproduction iPhones they've trashed in testing.
  • Reply 27 of 57
    Considering that the iPhone comes out in the summer, waiting for the white iPhone 4 to come out in the spring so you can buy it means that you are somewhat wealthy and unhindered by the cost of getting an iPhone when you're not eligible for an upgrade and/or stupid, in all honesty.

At least, that's my opinion... but I do stand by it.
  • Reply 28 of 57
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    Quote:

The real reason is antennagate. Whether they admit it or not.

They decided internally to concentrate on iPhone 5 rather than waste their time and resources trying to get the white iPhone 4 right. After all they have to correct the whole weak-spot thing, while keeping the device thin and cool looking and giving the phone co-CDMA capabilities. Not an easy task.

Less glass this time and less antenna touching my hand, please. Then I can upgrade my iPhone 2G. Yeah, i know.

Wanna make a bet on the side that they don't change the design of the iPhone in 2011? Not just not changing the antenna, but also not changing the overall design itself, other than color and internal specs.

How about a $100 to charity of choice bet?
  • Reply 29 of 57
    macslutmacslut Posts: 514member
    I sure am glad I didn't wait for the white iPhone. I really wanted one during the summer, but after Labor Day, forget about it until the spring.

Yes, I'm serious.
  • Reply 30 of 57
    I mean I debated when the iphone 4 first came out on waiting for the white one. however i mean seriously. why wait for the white iphone 4 if its coming out in 2011. I mean apple if you can't get it right in a year, what makes us think you can have it ready in another 4 months. people will just wait for iphone 5 like me. i have a black iphone 4 and love it. never had any reception problems with the outside antennae or have have any proximity problems. mine is flawless. so if people are holding out for the white one ... it seems crazy now that its so close to the new iphone 5. unless.......the next iphone 5 doesn't have much other than an upgrade .... ie 3G to 3GS. are we going to 4 to 4S with this next iphone?
  • Reply 31 of 57
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I don’t think Apple would have prevented the previously advertised white model to be made because of a later decision (though it’s only been a few months) to make it the Verizon iPhone. It’s an aesthetic difference that would benefit the sales of every carrier.

I think that Apple simply can’t get the results up to spec for the needed production and/or at a workable price that keeps pushing this back. If they had an option to produce a black or white glass cover It seems like the black would make the most sense to keep sales as high as possible. I really don’t think it will be the differentiator for a CDMA iPhone.
  • Reply 32 of 57
    quillzquillz Posts: 209member
    Quote:

They decided internally to concentrate on iPhone 5 rather than waste their time and resources trying to get the white iPhone 4 right. After all they have to correct the whole weak-spot thing, while keeping the device thin and cool looking and giving the phone co-CDMA capabilities. Not an easy task.

Less glass this time and less antenna touching my hand, please. Then I can upgrade my iPhone 2G. Yeah, i know.

You can't have a "co-CDMA" phone, it's either GSM or CDMA. An iPhone on Verizon could look, feel and work exactly the same as iPhone on AT&T, but the former would have to have different internals.
  • Reply 33 of 57
    Quote:

I agree. Why ship a white iPhone after it already has the bad stigma around it from the antenna. All they need to do is release iPhone 5 in white and ta da ta it's re branded problem solved.
  • Reply 34 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Hey, Apple. Outsource it to ColorWare. They seem to get it right. Those asians just don't get it.

I'm Asian... 3rd generation Asian American.... and I get it... do you have a problem with Asians?
  • Reply 35 of 57
    Is anyone familiar with the manufacturing techniques? I am struggling to understand what is so hard about making something white. Sorry I am ignorant, but would like to understand.
  • Reply 36 of 57
    If they're having so much trouble with it and it's been months now why are they getting so worked out about it? Either they cancel it or pick a different color and save themselves further embarrassment. We don't live in a black and white world. There are millions of colors to pick from..
  • Reply 37 of 57
    zc456zc456 Posts: 96member
    This is turning into a mighty big fail...
  • Reply 38 of 57
    There will not be a white iPhone 4. This will be too close to the launch of an iPhone 5. Apple just does not want to say hey we messed up with it, there won't be one so they keep delaying it until eventually they say "delayed until iPhone 5"
  • Reply 39 of 57
    Who would have guessed the white iPhone saga would end up being a longer lasting thorn in Apple's side than antennagate? The thing that confuses me is OEM parts are out there. You can get a white iPhone 4 today if you really want one.
  • Reply 40 of 57
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

Wanna make a bet on the side that they don't change the design of the iPhone in 2011? Not just not changing the antenna, but also not changing the overall design itself, other than color and internal specs.

How about a $100 to charity of choice bet?

Don't be a fool. I don't need or want your money. I'll give $100 to a charity for you.