Apple: Not preinstalling Flash on Macs ensures users have latest version

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 135
    So withholding Flash ensures that people have it?

Nice doublespeak. Only in Appleland.

• Reply 122 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RationalTroll View Post

Yes!

And also in Windowsland and Linuxland.

Neither ships with Flash.

C.
  • Reply 123 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Quote:

Yes!

And also in Windowsland and Linuxland.

Neither ships with Flash.

Microsoft doesn't bundle Flash because they have what they hope will be a direct competitor to it, and most Linux distros don't include it because of FOSS licensing restrictions.

But only Apple excludes it for the ostensible benefit of making sure you have it.

THAT's cojones.
  • Reply 124 of 135
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:

Microsoft doesn't bundle Flash because they have what they hope will be a direct competitor to it and most Linux distros don't include it because of FOSS licensing restrictions.

But only Apple excludes it for the ostensible benefit of making sure you have it.

THAT's cojones.

That's funny!

Flash is Adobe's business model. It's not the responsibility of any other organisation other than Adobe to distribute it for them. It is, after all, a proprietary plug-in.

Apple users should not be deprived of enjoying the full Adobe installation experience, or prevented from the opportunity to click "accept" on the terms and conditions of use.

http://www.adobe.com/products/eulas/...00108_1657.pdf

C.
  • Reply 125 of 135
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rtamesis View Post

In Steve Jobs' "Back to the Mac" Keynote, Pixelmator made it in the Lion screenshot of apps while Photoshop was MIA.

http://www.pixelmator.com/weblog/

We were discussing this at work. I totally uninstalled photoshop and decided that pixel mator was all that was needed.
  • Reply 126 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Singapura View Post

I love Apple products but their business tactics rival that of North Korean politics. Why not just come out and say that you want Adobe to go away? It's not even a rational fear because Adobe is not a direct competitor. Instead is one of Steve's petty peeves that has nothing to do with sound judgement. Apple should realize that if the great Steverino dies, it's over. There 's no Kim Yong Un for them ready to take the reigns. Any dictatorship that fosters a cult of personality like the Church of Jobs is doomed to fail. I really hope that doesn't happen because as long as I can jailbreak I will prefer any Apple product over the competition (except Apple TV )

Sometimes it's better not to say anything at all. Apple doesn't hate Adobe. They do not like flash. Apples criticisms of Adobe have been Flash related. It doesn't make sense to pre-install a Flash security risk onto an Apple product. Judging by the recent reports from Symantec and other companies Flash is a security risk. Additionally, Adobe should be responsible for the distribution of their own products not Apple. Apple didn't say that Flash wouldn't run if it was installed. Apple simply said they wouldn't pre-install Flash themselves. This gives the user a choice to decide if they want crap ware on their Mac or not. It also allows the user to decide if they agree to Adobe's terms or not. Adobe can probably just put flash on the Mac Store so people can find it easily.....
  • Reply 127 of 135
    Quote:

Microsoft doesn't bundle Flash because they have what they hope will be a direct competitor to it, and most Linux distros don't include it because of FOSS licensing restrictions.

THAT's cojones.

Apple is making sure that you agree to Adobe's terms and conditions and it ensures you have the latest version if you do decide to install Flash.
  • Reply 128 of 135
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Apple is making sure that you agree to Adobe's terms and conditions and it ensures you have the latest version if you do decide to install Flash.

No you don't understand.

Microsoft does not include Flash in Windows, and that is Okay.

Linux does not include Flash, and that is Okay.

But when Apple does not include Flash - it is suddenly:

"OMG - They are beeing like NORHT KOREA!!!!"

All this drama queenery about a stupid plug in!

C.
  • Reply 129 of 135
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

No you don't understand.

Microsoft does not include Flash in Windows, and that is Okay.

Linux does not include Flash, and that is Okay.

But when Apple does not include Flash - it is suddenly:

"OMG - They are beeing like NORHT KOREA!!!!"

All this drama queenery about a stupid plug in!

C.

I could swear my Windows 7 64bit Ultimate had Flash preloaded. Not sure. It's a Dell OEM licensed installer disc though. Hmm.

But yeah OMG OMG STEVE IS GOING TO KILL FLASH ON THE MAC OMG OMG
  • Reply 130 of 135
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I could swear my Windows 7 64bit Ultimate had Flash preloaded. Not sure. It's a Dell OEM licensed installer disc though. Hmm.

But yeah OMG OMG STEVE IS GOING TO KILL FLASH ON THE MAC OMG OMG

I can never remember whether a computer or OS came with flash or not. It doesn't take long to install it, so it's easy to forget.
  • Reply 131 of 135
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I can never remember whether a computer or OS came with flash or not. It doesn't take long to install it, so it's easy to forget.

So I fired up my VMWare XP2 and it told me a Flash update was available. Currently running Flash 9.0.28.0. I think that came with the XP2 install, can't remember updating it to Flash 9, it's a fairly recent VMWare installation of XP2, my XP2 image though is from 2006-ish. Who knows.

I fired up my VMWare Windows7, IT DOES NOT COME WITH FLASH! I never knew that. Who would've imagined. Windows7 not coming with Flash. That, to me, is strange.

But yeah, it is easy to install Flash, especially on Windows.
  • Reply 132 of 135
    Quote:

So I fired up my VMWare XP2 and it told me a Flash update was available. Currently running Flash 9.0.28.0. I think that came with the XP2 install, can't remember updating it to Flash 9, it's a fairly recent VMWare installation of XP2, my XP2 image though is from 2006-ish. Who knows.

How did you get notified of the update? Was it because a site you used required Flash 9?
  • Reply 133 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

How did you get notified of the update? Was it because a site you used required Flash 9?

Stangely, after I started Windows XP2 when it got to the desktop screen it popped up. I hadn't opened a browser or anything. As mentioned, I already had Flash 9. This was a pop-up to install Flash 10.1 - it had appeared previously and I think I clicked Remind Me Later. Though I can't remember what I did to get the pop-up in the first place.

Gotta love Windows and Flash... It is no surprise when people switch to Mac they are so ultra-paranoid and want to micromanage everything- where files are, what they are doing, if files are duplicated or not, how much space they're taking, how to defrag, which applications are running or not, how to delete stuff for sure, how to hide activity history, antivirus, antimalware, etc. etc.
  • Reply 134 of 135
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Careful, them are "fanboy" words.
  • Reply 135 of 135
    Quote:

Stangely, after I started Windows XP2 when it got to the desktop screen it popped up. I hadn't opened a browser or anything. As mentioned, I already had Flash 9. This was a pop-up to install Flash 10.1 - it had appeared previously and I think I clicked Remind Me Later. Though I can't remember what I did to get the pop-up in the first place.

Gotta love Windows and Flash... It is no surprise when people switch to Mac they are so ultra-paranoid and want to micromanage everything- where files are, what they are doing, if files are duplicated or not, how much space they're taking, how to defrag, which applications are running or not, how to delete stuff for sure, how to hide activity history, antivirus, antimalware, etc. etc.

You're right, I'll take back the claim of "no update notifier", at least in the case of Windows. On my workshop computer, I just got a notice of an update and an option to install, and there wasn't a browser opening or updating.