Apple's Steve Jobs 'raged' at Steve Ballmer when Microsoft bought Halo

Comments

• Reply 101 of 129
    sandorsandor Posts: 655member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Back in 2000 Apple was hardly flush with cash, "one of the highest valued companies", or in a position to buy Bungie as others have suggested. In fact I think it tended to still have "beleaguered" next to its name whenever a journalist wrote about it. Jobs is leading "one of the highest valued companies" because he MADE it one of the highest valued companies, and that was in no small part because of his in-your-face attitude, so I'd cut him a little slack there.

Although Bungie is now independent, Microsoft owns all the Halo-related IP so there's no point in acquiring them to "get back" at Microsoft? Bungie can rot for all I care.

precisely.

back in 2000, Apple stock was a mere $25 a share, split and dropped down as low as $7.44, and i was marveling over the dual processor G4 500 mhz machines in my alma mater's lab... they were hardly a company considered worth staying in business, let alone one that could attempt to buy a success such as Bungie. I cannot fault Bungie for taking their payday.

http://finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=A...urce=undefined
  • Reply 102 of 129
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post

I've never been convinced by Blu-ray on home PC's. The HDTV standard isn't?and now there's bloody nonsense 3D to contend with! TV's come in all resolutions. I think dedicated Blu-ray players, coupled with 720 streaming, is the way ahead (for the foreseeable future).

I do believe it would have been a bag of hurt but I also think that whilst I believe it was not right for home computers, Apple should have made it an option. BTO, you'd pay more, but you'd get what you want and not what Steve thinks you ought to have.

You spend the whole post making the case for not having Blu-Ray on a home computer .... but then criticize Apple for not having the option? Jeeze Louise .... Nothing personal, but I don't get that ... I really don't.

As you stated, the option exists ... a stand alone player! Apple is known for being a minimalist ... in design especially. They are not like "the others" where they try to be everything to everybody. What they do ... they do well. IMO we should embrace that philosophy ... it's working.
  • Reply 103 of 129
    Quote:

I have no idea what sort of weight they can apply to developers to look seriously at OS X so long as Jobs has his ambivalent attitude toward gaming

Jobs doesn't understand gaming. It's kind of funny because he is such a genius with what people want out of their devices, but then as soon as it comes to gaming... poof! the man is clueless.

It's crazy that it's taken them 3 years to release the piece of crap that is Game Centre.

They should...
    • Buy out Open Feint and re-release Game Centre as a decent social gaming platform, linked in to other existing social networks.

• Buy out EA and Zynga and start hunting for more "up and coming" studios, and\\or do a bunch of smart hires and start up Apple Game Studios

• Release another variation of Apple TV that can do games as well. Make it a cross between the PS3 and the Wii.

• Tie it all together. Apple Game Studios and subsidiaries creating games across all platforms. All games sold through respective App Stores. Game Centre integrated across iDevices, Apple TV + gaming, Mac.

• Reply 104 of 129
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by G-News View Post

Yes, please, it gives me goosebumps and makes you look like a complete tech illiterate.

For cryin' out loud ... relax. It's not like we're splitting the atom here!
  • Reply 105 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

KEY PHRASE: "When developed properly."

Also, you only dislike Halo because it was released on the Xbox. You know that had the exact same game been released on a Mac first, you'd be praising it as one of the best and most original games of all time.

No I wouldn't. I've played the Mac version and it's the same boring crap that FPS games all tend to be.

Pretty graphics a game do not make and Halo is proof of that. Half Life 2 however is the only FPS I've liked since Perfect Dark and Goldeneye on the N64. Halo is crap.
  • Reply 106 of 129
    I've been a Mac user for 5 years now but I loved my XBOX and Halo. I use my Xbox 360 and Mac everyday. I for one am glad Microsoft bought Bungie all those years ago. Besides the only games I play on the computer are made by Blizzard and they support Mac so no problem there.
  • Reply 107 of 129
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

This statement is way far overboard. For one thing, the antitrust suit against Microsoft was filed during the Clinton administration. That was quite a bit less than 20 years ago. Antitrust law enforcement was hardly decimated at that time. For another, it's hardly clear that Microsoft buying Bungie was any kind of antitrust law violation. In fact it's nothing more than a fantasy. Finally, we've had several thread full of cranky posts about the FTC's investigating claims against Apple, as though the entire capitalist system is under threat the moment the FTC even looks into a complaint. Sounds like we're experiencing a whole lot of wanting to have it both ways.

I'd suggest that you learn a little bit about antitrust laws. Your post demonstrated conclusively that you don't understand them a bit.

From Bush 1 to present, Antitrust prosecution has gotten steadily weaker - to the point that companies would have to take out a full page ad in the NYT admitting that they had conspired to set prices for any prosecution to occur.

The FTC complaints against Apple are irrelevant:

1. They are only complaints. There's still no evidence that the government would ever prosecute them.

2. They're completely unfounded - since Apple has a low single digit share of mobile phones and a 20 something percent share of smart phones. The entire premise of monopolizing a market with 25% share is absurd. THAT Is why there's so much fuss about the FTC complaints.

Microsoft acquiring Bungie was an entirely different story.

Microsoft had an overwhelming market position which had already been legally declared to be a monopoly and they were already being prosecuted for illegal abuse of that monopoly power. Then, Apple starts doing things right and has a partnership with Bungie that looks like a great step forward for the platform. Microsoft comes in and cuts them off at the knees by buying a key developer and shutting down the Mac version of the software.

If this had occurred 30-40 years ago, the DOJ would have been all over them. But with George ("I don't care what companies do as long as they're making money and contributing to the Republican Party") Bush 2, it was completely ignored - there wasn't even an investigation opened.
  • Reply 108 of 129
    Quote:

Valve is a start. Good as some of them are, it is still only bringing ages old games to the Mac. I have no idea what sort of weight they can apply to developers to look seriously at OS X so long as Jobs has his ambivalent attitude toward gaming. Apparently iToy gaming took Apple by surprise. But anyone who follows gaming knows how big a driving force it is in consumer consciousness. I've known 100's and 100's of people who would have preferred a Mac over a PC if Apple had supported gaming. I'm just one Mac user, we all know PC home users who fire that specific arrow at Apple's Achilles heel.

Apple couldn't force a fart in the gaming community, so it isn't very likely to get nVidia or AMD to cough up for EFI firmware. And Intel have some responsibility to promote EFI over BIOS.

There's probably some sort of deal struck that ensures Apple continues to use Intel CPU's so long as Intel keeps EFI from replacing BIOS in the wider PC market. Apple would hate to see OS X so accessible to Hackintoshists.

EFI isn't gaining traction because of Windows not because Intel can't be bothered with it.

EFI support is in Windows 7 but not on any version of previous Windows and even then EFI is barely supported in Win7.

Game developers are lazy and have been for years so getting OpenGL support has to do with changing game developer's minds and most won't change until the people behind OpenGL prove that it's a better system than DirectX. Technically it's a far superior system but developers have been kludging DirectX for so long they don't know how to do anything else.

It takes companies like Valve to change people's minds so next year is going to be very interesting with NATIVE Mac games being released at the same time as PC games.

Jobs isn't the only person to blame for lack of games on Macs. Hell, the Amiga was the best gaming platform on the planet but game developers jumped ship to the PC despite being absolute crap for gaming all chasing the larger market for profits.

The fact that Mac gaming is more or less non-existent has nothing to do with Jobs but more to do with money hungry developers who like to fleece the most amount of people at once. I'm looking at you EA.
  • Reply 109 of 129
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post

How many times will we hear about Steve's kurt and inappropriate comments? Is it not enough to be leading one of the highest valued companies? His narcissistic personality was old last century and I can only hope that his "handlers" would get a tighter rein on him. I love their products even though many of them have had to be replaced because of poor quality control. But I am committed to the system and going over to a PC would be counterproductive. So, how about a little more innovation and a little less conversation.

You sound so smug and silly.

All the second hand account says is that Jobs "was mad" and that he "raged" at Balmer. It doesn't say "out of control," "inappropriate," or "narcissistic." In fact Microsoft must have decided he had a point since they decided to do a deal with him. Your view of the hearsay account says more about your own view ofJobs than it does about Jobs' behavior. Your confidence in your grasp of the event belies a, dare I say, narcissistic world view.
  • Reply 110 of 129
    Quote:

Valve is a start. Good as some of them are, it is still only bringing ages old games to the Mac. I have no idea what sort of weight they can apply to developers to look seriously at OS X so long as Jobs has his ambivalent attitude toward gaming. Apparently iToy gaming took Apple by surprise. But anyone who follows gaming knows how big a driving force it is in consumer consciousness. I've known 100's and 100's of people who would have preferred a Mac over a PC if Apple had supported gaming. I'm just one Mac user, we all know PC home users who fire that specific arrow at Apple's Achilles heel.

Apple couldn't force a fart in the gaming community, so it isn't very likely to get nVidia or AMD to cough up for EFI firmware. And Intel have some responsibility to promote EFI over BIOS.

There's probably some sort of deal struck that ensures Apple continues to use Intel CPU's so long as Intel keeps EFI from replacing BIOS in the wider PC market. Apple would hate to see OS X so accessible to Hackintoshists.

Apple doesn't need force EFI on any one. The industry BIOS leaders, Intel, AMD, Dell, IBM, Microsoft and more are moving towards it.
  • Reply 111 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by esummers View Post

I would argue that Steve's personality has helped to steer the company in the right direction. You need to make bold changes and not be afraid to upset a few people. Steve has it mastered.

Q: What do automotive repair, soybean farming, and the manufacture of processed cheese food have in common?

A: Those are the three industries Jobs hasn't pissed off this year.
  • Reply 112 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'd suggest that you learn a little bit about antitrust laws. Your post demonstrated conclusively that you don't understand them a bit.

From Bush 1 to present, Antitrust prosecution has gotten steadily weaker - to the point that companies would have to take out a full page ad in the NYT admitting that they had conspired to set prices for any prosecution to occur.

As I said, a bad case of trying to have it both ways. You might stop to consider whether Apple even complained to regulatory authorities about the Bungie buyout. I know I can ask, but I'm sure you won't be be doing it. Because that might lead you to different conclusions about how the enforcement system works. The government almost never takes up an antitrust case without a competitive complaint. It has always been this way.

No, antitrust law enforcement has not gotten steadily weaker, and your ludicrous example goes a long way towards illustrating the weakness of your argument. You either have little concept of how antirust law works, or a very selective memory. Both, I suspect.
  • Reply 113 of 129
    LOL... this is ancient history. Besides, who's raging now? Hint: you don't see Steve Jobs stomping on his employees' iPhones
  • Reply 114 of 129
    zc456zc456 Posts: 96member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bibbler View Post

Oh couldn't agree more. As we all know, Halo struggled on the unsuccessful XBOX Platform. It could of been a major success on the Powerhouse Gaming Platform, the Mac!!

I... don't think so. Although, I do think it was unfair for Microsoft to buy it and make it a Xbox & Windows exclusive when it was originally a cross-platform game.
  • Reply 115 of 129
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

$51B in cash can buy a lot of revenge. Buy up every significant development firm and discontinue all of their PC development to focus on Mac and iOS development. Adobe, Intuit, game developers, etc. No PC Photoshop, Lightroom, Quicken... All PC users are left with are apps made by MS.

and kill gaming. Apple would have to start shipping a LOT better hardware to make that happen
  • Reply 116 of 129
    tjwtjw Posts: 216member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

No I wouldn't. I've played the Mac version and it's the same boring crap that FPS games all tend to be.

Pretty graphics a game do not make and Halo is proof of that. Half Life 2 however is the only FPS I've liked since Perfect Dark and Goldeneye on the N64. Halo is crap.

You're a dick and plenty of people disagree with you. Halo reach is the best game I have played in years
  • Reply 117 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjw View Post

You're a dick and plenty of people disagree with you. Halo reach is the best game I have played in years

There's NOTHING new in it at all and I know heaps of people that disagree with you so the dick is you.

It's the same linear crap we've had for the last 20 years. When are people going to realise the gaming industry is boring? There is NO real innovations in gaming. All this power going straight into the graphics. Were's the amazing AI? Where's the unlimited landscapes? If you want to spend your money on the same game that was around 10 years ago only with better graphics then do so but for people with more discerning tastes we like to spend our money on titles that push platforms to their limits. That's why the iPad and iPhone as gaming consoles are so exciting. Real Racing pushed the limits of a phone and made us realise that portable gaming can be amazing.

I've spent more money on my iPhone and iPad than I have even spent on my DS Lite which I loved to death because the games were fun and immersive and held my attention.

Half Life 2 held my attention all the way to the end even though it's linear and tiring but it was fun and played well. Portal was also linear and had no real action but the puzzles gave it an amazing edge that made it fun and worthy of my attention. Halo gives me nothing new and is so boring. I barely lasted the second mission before I gave up on it because it was so painful. Luckily I didn't buy it otherwise I'd have wasted my money.

N.O.V.A on the iPad is just stunning and while it's a prick to control it shows what the iPad can do and so I keep coming back to it.

Games need to be more than just pretty graphics, they have to blow you away with storylines and playability and humour and everything else that makes gaming fun. An awesome game with crap graphics kills a crap game with awesome game EVERY time.
  • Reply 118 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lowededwookie View Post

Halo gives me nothing new and is so boring. I barely lasted the second mission before I gave up on it because it was so painful. Luckily I didn't buy it otherwise I'd have wasted my money.

Far be it from me to tell someone which games they should and shouldn't enjoy. Everyone has their own opinions.

However you should have learned in Posting about games in forums 101 that you don't call a game crap that you haven't played. It's bad netiquette.
  • Reply 119 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by newbee View Post

You spend the whole post making the case for not having Blu-Ray on a home computer .... but then criticize Apple for not having the option? Jeeze Louise .... Nothing personal, but I don't get that ... I really don't.

As you stated, the option exists ... a stand alone player! Apple is known for being a minimalist ... in design especially. They are not like "the others" where they try to be everything to everybody. What they do ... they do well. IMO we should embrace that philosophy ... it's working.

It's called choice. Apple is on the Blu-ray Board, FFS!
  • Reply 120 of 129
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quillz View Post

Because obviously the fanboys on this site didn't get enough relevant articles today that worship Steve Jobs and Apple so they needed another one. Expect an article tomorrow about Steve Jobs that took place 50 years ago.

Erm, no. This story is far more likely to attract Apple and Jobs bashers than worshippers. This thread proves that.

Quote:

I still think it ironic that Steve thinks its alright for him to replace and upgrade bits of his body but refuses Mac customers the same privileges with their computers. Just what would he have done if he'd had to choose between hospitals run by Apple, MS or Google?

This says more about you than Steve Jobs.