Dying eMac Monitor

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
For a while now my eMac monitor has been flickering and my screen geometry has been fluctuating (it comes out about a half inch on each side, then snaps back to regular size). I just came back from getting something to eat and my screen was black; power light was on and the computer was humming but totally black screen. I clicked and moved the mouse and hit some keys, but no response (power saver settings are turned off). I did a hard reset using the power button and the screen remained black for several seconds before it finally came back.

This computer is pretty old, I've had it for 6 or 7 years now. I think the monitor is finally going out. I definitely don't have enough for a new computer, so I want to squeeze as much use out of this one as I can. Are there any ways I can extend the life of this monitor and/or repair it? If not, what's the cheapest way to work-around a dead monitor? Is it even possible to attach an external display to an eMac?

Edit: Situation resolved.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akamadoushi View Post

Is it even possible to attach an external display to an eMac?

Nope.

However, If an eMac is good enough to suit your needs, you could pick up a used (obviously) but fully functional one for a couple hundred dollars at most... MUCH cheaper than a new Mac.

I know that might still be more than you can afford... but it'll cost you just as much to repair what you've got.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

Nope.

However, If an eMac is good enough to suit your needs, you could pick up a used (obviously) but fully functional one for a couple hundred dollars at most... MUCH cheaper than a new Mac.

I know that might still be more than you can afford... but it'll cost you just as much to repair what you've got.

I was afraid someone was going to say that :-/ if I had a couple hundred I would have thought netbook right off the bat. I'm going to have maybe $100 tops to play with.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Nope.

Er, excuse me? All eMacs have a mini-VGA out. Just buy an adapter and use any monitor.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    ajpriceajprice Posts: 320member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Er, excuse me? All eMacs have a mini-VGA out. Just buy an adapter and use any monitor.

Yep, it's a mini VGA port.

• Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

well... My bad!

I guess I was thinking it had the same ports (more or less) that my old iMac G3 does. Sorry about that.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I'm looking into getting a VGA adapter and my parents said they can get me a cheap monitor, problem resolved I think.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

well... My bad!

I guess I was thinking it had the same ports (more or less) that my old iMac G3 does. Sorry about that.

The G3 iMac also has VGA out. Well, iMac DV and up, but that's all models besides bondi and the first set of colors.