Shipping time for $999 11-inch MacBook Air slips to 1-3 days

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
New orders of the $999 11.6-inch MacBook Air are now estimated to ship within 1 to 3 business days, suggesting demand for the entry-level version of Apple's new thin-and-light notebook lineup has been greatest in the first week of sales.

All other versions of the newly released MacBook Air, including the $1,199 11.6-inch model with 128GB of internal storage, still ship within 24 hours. But the cheapest option, at $999, saw its shipping time slip by a few days this week, indicating demand for the sub-$1,000 notebook is strongest.

The 64GB 11-inch MacBook Air is actually Apple's second notebook with a starting price of $999. Apple also sells its larger, low-end MacBook for $999, as it has for years.

Last week, Apple released its new lineup of MacBook Air notebooks, with lower starting prices. The 11.6-inch form factor is a new addition, joined by the models with 13.3-inch screens.

The new notebooks offer only flash memory for storage, allowing them faster speeds when reading and writing data. The new MacBook Air lineup also has "instant-on" technology, while the solid-state memory inside the notebooks allow weeks of standby time on battery power.

Last week, one firm predicted that all four models of the new MacBook Air would sell 700,000 units in the holiday quarter. That prediction calls for the new thin-and-light machine to represent 17 percent of an estimated 4.1 million Mac shipments this fall.

In addition, Mingchi Kuo, vice president of Concord Securities, has called for 60 percent of MacBook Air sales to be represented by the smaller 11.6-inch model. If the slight delay in shipping time of the $999 model is any indication, Kuo's prediction that the 11.6-inch model will be most popular could be accurate, at least in the first week of sales.

AppleInsider recently published a first look at the new Airs ahead of its formal review. It also lined up a deal with reseller MacMall, which is currently offering AppleInsider readers an additional 3% off its already reduced pricing when ordering online using the links in the chart below, or through AppleInsider's full-fledged Mac Price Guide. It's also offering $102 savings off a high-end, non-standard 13.3-inch configuration that includes the 2.13GHz Core 2 Duo processor mentioned above. MacMall has most Air models in stock while MacConnection claims to have the entire lineup in stock.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

New orders of the $999 11.6-inch MacBook Air are now estimated to ship within 1 to 3 business days, suggesting demand for the entry-level version of Apple's new thin-and-light notebook lineup has been greatest in the first week of sales.

All other versions of the newly released MacBook Air, including the $1,199 11.6-inch model with 128GB of internal storage, still ship within 24 hours. But the cheapest option, at $999, saw its shipping time slip by a few days this week, indicating demand for the sub-$1,000 notebook is strongest.

The 64GB 11-inch MacBook Air is actually Apple's second notebook with a starting price of $999. Apple also sells its larger, low-end MacBook for $999, as it has for years.

Last week, Apple released its new lineup of MacBook Air notebooks, with lower starting prices. The 11.6-inch form factor is a new addition, joined by the models with 13.3-inch screens.

The new notebooks offer only flash memory for storage, allowing them faster speeds when reading and writing data. The new MacBook Air lineup also has "instant-on" technology, while the solid-state memory inside the notebooks allow weeks of standby time on battery power.

Last week, one firm predicted that all four models of the new MacBook Air would sell 700,000 units in the holiday quarter. That prediction calls for the new thin-and-light machine to represent 17 percent of an estimated 4.1 million Mac shipments this fall.

In addition, Mingchi Kuo, vice president of Concord Securities, has called for 60 percent of MacBook Air sales to be represented by the smaller 11.6-inch model. If the slight delay in shipping time of the $999 model is any indication, Kuo's prediction that the 11.6-inch model will be most popular could be accurate, at least in the first week of sales.

The real sad part about this this product should be made in the USA not China!Mac is always late in shipping new products in the beginning.
  • Reply 2 of 36
    I ordered the 13" model with 4 gb memory and it said ships in 3-5 days.

So far 2 days and no ship....

With the stellar reviews the new AIRS are getting, I don't think Apple can make them fast enough!

Like all their other newer products.

What a pleasant problem to have.

• Reply 3 of 36
    I really wish there was a way to justify yet another mac to my wife, but the 11" air is simply brilliant.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gerald apple View Post

The real sad part about this this product should be made in the USA not China!Mac is always late in shipping new products in the beginning.

1) There is no reason to quote the entire article. Forum etiquette please.

2) If the current and historic state of American consumer good is any indication (hint: it is) the reason why production moved over seas is due to the US' inability to make goods at a competitive price. How much more would you pay for having every single part of a produce made in the US? I would at triple the price and that's very, very conservative.
  • Reply 5 of 36
    I got a chance to handle an 11-inch model yesterday at the Apple Store. I don't have a strong need/desire for an iPad because my 17-inch MBP and iPhone 4 cover my needs nicely. But I can tell you this:

If I do develop the need/desire for a mid-size unit, it won't be for an iPad, it will be for a 11-inch MacBook Air.

It was fantastically light, well built, and it was hard for me to keep my credit card in my wallet. The iPad just left consideration all together for me.
  • Reply 6 of 36
    Quote:

...indicating demand for the sub-$1,000 notebook is strongest.

or the SUPPLY is the LOWEST.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Doorman. View Post

or the SUPPLY is the LOWEST.

I don't know of anyone else using 11.6" 16:9 displays of this caliber (as noted in the AnadTech review) or these 10W CULV C2Ds in anything consumer-based, so I think that could very well be the truth. It doesn't seem like even Apple has been able to gauge their level of success these last last couple years with new products.
  • Reply 8 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Katonah View Post

With the stellar reviews the new AIRS are getting, I don't think Apple can make them fast enough!

Like all their other newer products.

What a pleasant problem to have.

I miss the good old days when one used to be able to say "Apple is doomed!?"

Not.
  • Reply 9 of 36
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    i ordered a 13" Air from MacConnection on Tuesday and it is on my porch right now. Going to run home at lunch to grab it.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    Well, my 11" MacBook Air arrived yesterday. I wired the money to Apple last Thursday (we don't like credit cards in europe *gg*) and it arrived on Monday. The MBA was shipped that day and waited for me when I got back from work.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

I got a chance to handle an 11-inch model yesterday at the Apple Store. I don't have a strong need/desire for an iPad because my 17-inch MBP and iPhone 4 cover my needs nicely. But I can tell you this:

If I do develop the need/desire for a mid-size unit, it won't be for an iPad, it will be for a 11-inch MacBook Air.

It was fantastically light, well built, and it was hard for me to keep my credit card in my wallet. The iPad just left consideration all together for me.

While I see your POV, my conclusion is the opposite. I have no need to be reaching over a keyboard constantly that I only need occasionally. I can use my desktop or a bluetooth/iPad when I need more data entry.

I think Apple has a great combination going... good choices to have. (I do wish I had $$ to burn tho'... the 11" Air is a work of art.)
  • Reply 12 of 36
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

i ordered a 13" Air from MacConnection on Tuesday and it is on my porch right now. Going to run home at lunch to grab it.

They left a MacBook Air on your porch and didn't consider the possibility that it might get stolen?
  • Reply 13 of 36
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

They left a MacBook Air on your porch and didn't consider the possibility that it might get stolen?

I've spent the last hour trying to figure out where he lives.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

It's final. AI needs a comment promotion system.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    Quote:

New orders of the $999 11.6-inch MacBook Air are now estimated to ship within 1 to 3 business days, suggesting demand for the entry-level version of Apple's new thin-and-light notebook lineup has been greatest in the first week of sales. ...

What an awful article. You people really need to take some basic journalism and English classes.

Your title says "shipping times *slipped*" but you never state what the old level was that they slipped from making it meaningless. Also, "slipped" is usually used to refer to something going *down* when in fact the shipping times being shorter (which is what the reader must infer from the "slipped" combined with the lack of reference), means shipping delays have gone *up*. Your using the term entirely backwards from it's intended meaning, and for no good reason.

As to substance, the fact that shipping times changed does *not* in any way support your argument that demand is lower. You simply don't know all (likely not even half) of the information you need to make even a broad assumption about that. Production could have increased or decreased in either week, glitches in shipping product could also have affected the numbers. It's only the second week for cripes sake! Even if your data is good, it's irresponsible to make any kind of assumption about sales based on two weeks of "shipping time" information.

You guys are just making crap up lately and it shows.
  • Reply 16 of 36
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    I can see a lot of people buying the 11" MBA instead of the 13" MB or MBP given that they are the same price. Maybe it's me but the 13" MBA looks odd with it's 16:10 screen compared to the 16:9 screen on the 11" model.
  • Reply 17 of 36
    Quote:

Too late, I already found him and his Air.
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Quote:

2) If the current and historic state of American consumer good is any indication (hint: it is) the reason why production moved over seas is due to the US' inability to make goods at a competitive price. How much more would you pay for having every single part of a produce made in the US? I would at triple the price and that's very, very conservative.

Sadly that is the reason. However I am not sure if that becasue of the US overpaying because of unions or China paying slave labor. Maybe a bit of both.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    Quote:

I can't believe they dropped it off without a signature. He should call back and say he never go it and have them ship him another one...lol
  • Reply 20 of 36
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:

I don't know of anyone else using 11.6" 16:9 displays of this caliber (as noted in the AnadTech review) or these 10W CULV C2Ds in anything consumer-based, so I think that could very well be the truth. It doesn't seem like even Apple has been able to gauge their level of success these last last couple years with new products.

Let's see. The economy is the pits. The new Apple products are the pits. Apple's customer relationship is the pits. Macs compared to PC's power and cost is the pits.

And now Apple's distribution of such over-selling products is the pits.