Nintendo president says Apple a bigger threat than Microsoft in games

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

EA is a chop shop. Apple will not touch it. I know from personal experience some very sharp professionals who were glad to get out of that dump.

Then they can pick someone else. Point is they need a company with a history of publishing quality games and ownership of existing franchises.
  • Reply 22 of 45
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

3D is a gimmick that is uncomfortable to watch. Human beings see things in 2D. This was proven in the 1950's and 1980's as a failure.

I hope you meant on a screen because you're a dumb ass if you don't know real life is in 3D.
  • Reply 23 of 45
    cbswecbswe Posts: 116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I hope you meant on a screen because you're a dumb ass if you don't know real life is in 3D.

As long as you havn't got technology to project 3D surfaces in the air, 3D will never be more then a gimmick.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

i hope you meant on a screen because you're a dumb ass if you don't know real life is in 3d.

+1000
  • Reply 25 of 45
    joe hsjoe hs Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cbswe View Post

As long as you havn't got technology to project 3D surfaces in the air, 3D will never be more then a gimmick.

Real life is 3D. Life isn't a gimmick.
  • Reply 26 of 45
    The competition is getting rougher and the choices larger. Nintendo is metting its match in a market that is quickly duplicating what they have been doing. xbox and play station now have the whole motion contol thing and developers are getting busy making software for it.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Surfer Rosa View Post

I was sceptical of the original DS, but was blown away by the titles and ended up buying the DS at launch. As always with Nintendo it's their software that's special.

I'm sure the 3DS will be good, but Reggie is right to be worried about some casual players.

Traditionally, Nintendo's hand held consoles were always low tech, but affordable by the casual or young players. If they price it too close to the iPod Touch they might lose some of those people.

Apple's advantange is the high quality multipurpose device, app store and game pricing.

Nintendo has the dedicated game controls, physical games that can be shared / traded and the advantange of many revered game characters.

you are spot on as the Brits would say. I tried to summarize it like you did but I had early morning writer's block. Lol!

I would add that as the competition heats up potential Nintendo gamers will be swept up into the arms of Apple and the other folks leaving a very fragmented field of gamers.

But right now Nintendo can rest assured that their very safe baby sitter(ds) at its cheap price point will do fine. I always see some young kid with a ds following behind the parent in the mall or grocery store.
  • Reply 28 of 45
    nealgnealg Posts: 132member
    I think Apple bought a chinese software gaming company earlier this year and if that is correct, then this might help with the adoption of Apple iOs devices in China. With the launch of the Apple China app store, this should also help Apple get a leg up in China.

As to the other markets, one of the strong points of games made for iOs vs the other console games is the cost. I don't mind spending a buck or two(or slightly more on the iPad) for a game. The console games are pretty expensive and sometimes don't live up to the hype so it is a much greater risk and investment. I think that is at least one of the reasons why iOs has been a hit with portable gaming.

Lastly, as in the phone market, there is room for more than 1 winner here. I think there will be different winners at different times depending on multiple factors causing Apple to be up in this market sometimes, and sometimes someone else. As long as Apple stays competitive and is near the top, as an investor, that is what I want to see.

Just my quick opinion.

Neal
  • Reply 29 of 45
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    To complete with Apple, Nintendo needs to accelerate their release schedule... New hand-helds and consoles every other year that are backwards compatible with the previous generation...
  • Reply 30 of 45
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe hs View Post

I doubt we'll have an iPod Nano next year. It's the tenth anniversary of the iPod and I doubt that Jobs would keep the Classic going any longer, and we might just see the end of the IPod Nano and Shuffle too.

So wrong. End of the Classic? Perhaps. End of the entire line of iPod music players leaving only the touch? No way.
  • Reply 31 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

you are spot on as the Brits would say. I tried to summarize it like you did but I had early morning writer's block. Lol!

Thanks. I'm supposed to be working, but got distracted by the internet!
  • Reply 32 of 45
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 7600/132 View Post

Funny you should say that, because Final Fantasy is on the iOS. Not that either system is going to see a new FF from the main series. Only classic games re-released and dumbed down spin-offs.

I wouldnt be so hasty as to say that. Look at the new Kingdom Hearts thats out for PSP which is a full size game, as well as MGS: Peacewalker...last i recall the latest Dragon Quest was only on DS as well. These are titles that are full blown games, and sold amazingly well for an ailing overpriced system.

Quote:

I would add that as the competition heats up potential Nintendo gamers will be swept up into the arms of Apple and the other folks leaving a very fragmented field of gamers.

But right now Nintendo can rest assured that their very safe baby sitter(ds) at its cheap price point will do fine. I always see some young kid with a ds following behind the parent in the mall or grocery store.

Dont count on it ever happening. There are 130+ million of these dedicated gaming devices. The experience is very different for a DS and iOS device, and the games quality are miles apart. I look at say just simply Nintendogs and there is nothing on iOS that can touch it. I wish that werent the case but it simply is. And that is just a small segment of games. Nintendo DS spans a vast age range from very young to very old (take a trip to a nursing home and you'll see old folks breaking hips and fingers playing Wii and DS)

Is that to say there arent good games on iOS? No, but when the best there is to be offered is Nazi Zombies, Cut the Rope, Angry Birds, a watered down Sonic 4 (so god awful compared to the console versions, this coming from a Sonic fanboy) and N.O.V.A its miles away from capsizing Nintendo. Maybe that spiffy engine Carmack wrote will boost gaming on iOS beyond free/.99 apps to something of a serious platform where major developers with major titles will flock to and users will actually spend money on it.

The threat right now is minuscule BUT lingering. Sure Apple has the hardware in place, and easy way to distribute software...but their titles are nothing but 98% trash. Should killer software come to iOS then i would be ready to say Nintendo has a serious problem.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Nintendo isn't shipping 3DS this Xmas? Letting Microsoft and Sony introduce HD motion gaming while letting Wii rest on its non-HD laurels? Hmm... Sounds like the biggest threat to Nintendo is Nintendo.

Exactly. How long has the Wii been out? We have 2 of them - and obviously aren't going to buy another. If they released a new product with better features, I very well might buy one - and possibly new versions of some of the games, as well.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

3D is a gimmick that is uncomfortable to watch. Human beings see things in 2D. This was proven in the 1950's and 1980's as a failure.

Not entirely true. PROPERLY done, 3D imaging can be useful for some subset of the population. The problem is that a large portion of the population CAN NOT use it (either because of vision problems or because it creates headaches and so on). So they run the risk of a bad reputation and massive returns from people who are unable to use it. Plus, computing resources that could be used to improve the quality of the game are wasted on 3D.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Not_Sure View Post

Have you ever heard of depth perception? That's the perception of the Z-axis...it's also why we have two eyes in the front of our head.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_perception

Partially correct. However, a substantial portion of the population (I've seen estimates like 10%) do not have binocular vision and simulate depth perception in other ways. For example, I have never had binocular vision and do not have depth perception in the sense that you are describing it - yet I have not problem playing basketball, driving, or doing other things that require depth perception. There are other ways to simulate depth without using a binocular image.

Not to mention that the fact that most people can see 3D in real life doesn't necessarily mean that a 3D game is going to be better than a non-3D game. It might be that the computing resources are better used for higher resolutions and faster motion - even for those who DO have binocular vision. And for those who don't, 3D makes the game unplayable.
  • Reply 34 of 45
    jumejume Posts: 209member
    If Apple should buy anything with it's billions it should be NINTENDO. That would bring some great value into the company! And plenty would still left for buying some high grade silicone designer/maker.
  • Reply 35 of 45
    What Apple really needs to do is put alot of effort into having higher end games made for the iPad. Without a doubt the iPad could be the best handheld gaming device every put out.

Once you have played games on the iPad going back to an iPhone or Touch sucks. Sadly I just don't see any push to make this happen.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    $0.99 / $1.99 / $4.99 games or $19.99 / $24.99 / $29.99 for games? As a parent I know which I prefer (iPod Touch over DS)
  • Reply 37 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeybrain View Post

$0.99 / $1.99 / $4.99 games or $19.99 / $24.99 / $29.99 for games? As a parent I know which I prefer (iPod Touch over DS)

Yeah but the games on the DS in most cases are far more advanced and in many cases you can trade them back in on places like GameStop and at least get some of your money back towards a new game.

Games on the Touch simply aren't very complex they are more for playing if you have a short period of time to kill.
  • Reply 38 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Exactly. How long has the Wii been out? We have 2 of them - and obviously aren't going to buy another. If they released a new product with better features, I very well might buy one - and possibly new versions of some of the games, as well.

Not entirely true. PROPERLY done, 3D imaging can be useful for some subset of the population. The problem is that a large portion of the population CAN NOT use it (either because of vision problems or because it creates headaches and so on). So they run the risk of a bad reputation and massive returns from people who are unable to use it. Plus, computing resources that could be used to improve the quality of the game are wasted on 3D.

Partially correct. However, a substantial portion of the population (I've seen estimates like 10%) do not have binocular vision and simulate depth perception in other ways. For example, I have never had binocular vision and do not have depth perception in the sense that you are describing it - yet I have not problem playing basketball, driving, or doing other things that require depth perception. There are other ways to simulate depth without using a binocular image.

Not to mention that the fact that most people can see 3D in real life doesn't necessarily mean that a 3D game is going to be better than a non-3D game. It might be that the computing resources are better used for higher resolutions and faster motion - even for those who DO have binocular vision. And for those who don't, 3D makes the game unplayable.

All of which are valid points if it werent for the fact that Satoru Iwata has mentioned that the stereoscopic 3d effect on the 3DS screen can be turned off, altered to a reduced level so as not to risk young childrens eye-sight.
  • Reply 39 of 45
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

Verizon is just one network in one country. It is a big network I'll grant you that but iOS and Android are global platforms.

The US is bout 30% of the modern smartphone market - and the iPhone has 28% of that on a network with 25% of all devices. It could easily get to 40% of the American market - a market which makes the headline news. In other coutries, except China it seems, the iPhone is ahead.
  • Reply 40 of 45
    Quote:

My baby sitters are two iPod Touches.

They are actually cheaper when you factor in game prices.

Not only that but add video, music, email, etc.

The value proposition of the iPod touch rises even further.