Leaked photos detail Sony's Android-powered 'PlayStation Phone'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Nowhere except through the roof!

You kidding me, how many KIDS will be asking for this for Xmas ? More then adults have iPhones. And I'm sure Sony could care less where the money comes from, as long as it's good money.

If this comes out before the holidays, this WILL be a success, sorry Apple fans (of which I'm one).

Skip

You think that parents are going to pay for ETFs and data plans to replace a perfectly good phone.

No way!

A PSP is a better deal. An iPod Touch is a better deal!

• Reply 22 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I don't see how this makes any sense at all. Apple already has a big presence in the gaming community, just not in the part of that community you like. iOS games are huge, and Sony PSP is shrinking in the marketplace last time I checked. The only thing shrinking faster is Nintendo DS.

I know not everyone is like me or games like me. I get that. I have a number of iPhone games of various types, although only a few I really like. Buttons open up a whole new type of gameplay that only sort of works on a touchscreen. It's not something I'd switch for, but it looks pretty great to have the controls on that prototype. People buy it, start buying games, and pretty soon they're consistent android buyers to keep their collection. Sure some people would steal the games, but if they start bringing over PS1 and maybe PS2 games, plus all the PSP games, that's a great library and not everyones gong to steal.

As for the tons of iOS devices sold vs PSP, yeah, no doubting it. This is something new, and the combination might be just right. For kids especially.
  • Reply 23 of 58

Here's what I see:

-- a group of kids

-- various PGPs

-- an iPod Touch

-- an iPad

They zero in on the iPad every time!

The iPad is the 2010 XMAS gift of choice!

• Reply 24 of 58
    ifailifail Posts: 463member
    Sony needs this big time and i for one am happy. MUCH MUCH MORE could be at stake here than we realize.

The PSP is ailing due to its high price and lack of quality software (pspgo...1 good game every 3 months) and fragmentation (some games are disk/download only).

Sure the PSP2 is supposedly around the corner, but Sony can makeup for the money they bled on the initial PSP/UMD venture. How so?

Sony introduces the PSPhone with a special store. Over time this store branches out to other HIGH END devices with similar baseline specs (think Windows Phone 7). Now millions of Android users can be possible PSP gamers...especially with a mere bluetooth controller add on.

For Sony they'll have millions of devices in users hands and that alone would be enough to attract high profile developers.

Then a true battle royale between Apple iOS, Google/Sony PSP, and Windows Phone 7, and Nintendo DS would take place.
  • Reply 25 of 58
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    DOA. I'm starting to feel sorry for Sony.
  • Reply 26 of 58
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    "Please insert a SIM card." Could this be heading towards AT&T and/or T-Mobile?
  • Reply 27 of 58
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ifail View Post

Then a true battle royale between Apple iOS, Google/Sony PSP, and Windows Phone 7, and Nintendo DS would take place.

There is no "battle royale" in mobile gaming... business is much more fluid than that unless a bunch of companies simultaneously jump on new disruptive tech (ie, internet, VOIP, etc).

Nintendo was the undisputed champ for many years, Sony showed up with PSP, and got handed it's ass for years too, but is now holding it's own a bit. Apple showed up and started taking share from everyone with a *phone* and an iPod... and hasn't been stopped yet. Nintendo is going to lose it's dominance, and is already hurting on profits. Google/Android is nowhere to be found as of yet (but will gain ground slowly).
  • Reply 28 of 58
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmf2 View Post

That said, I think Apple should develop a gamepad design for the iPhone and Apple TV (that they could build and/or license to third parties), along with an API giving developers access to the controllers features.

Welcome to the party: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=113629

Makes sense for Apple TV.
  • Reply 29 of 58
    look at the size of it. could you imagine the battery life while playing games.
  • Reply 30 of 58
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Welcome to the party: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=113629

Makes sense for Apple TV.

Lol indeed. It makes incredible sense.
  • Reply 31 of 58
    Most of hackers will buy one. They'll root the Android and swap PSP games for free.
  • Reply 32 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Nowhere except through the roof!

You kidding me, how many KIDS will be asking for this for Xmas ? More then adults have iPhones. And I'm sure Sony could care less where the money comes from, as long as it's good money.

If this comes out before the holidays, this WILL be a success, sorry Apple fans (of which I'm one).

Skip

• Reply 33 of 58
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    It's about time. Sony and Nintendo should have made their portable game players into great PMPs years ago, and then migrated models into also having phone capabilities, too.
  • Reply 34 of 58
    grkinggrking Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Here's what I see:

-- a group of kids

-- various PGPs

-- an iPod Touch

-- an iPad

They zero in on the iPad every time!

The iPad is the 2010 XMAS gift of choice!

Slightly off topic, but iPad related. I do not know if you saw the news, but a few days ago, RIM showed a working model of the Playbook, and they released the SDK. The reviews were quite positive, and RIM's stock is WAY up. Looks like the Playbook is not a 9-12 months off.
  • Reply 35 of 58
    A trackpad on a smart phone?

Does it feature rotary dial too?
  • Reply 36 of 58
    It looks ok, but it's for a niche market.

To make a real impact Sony needed to create a platform that worked across many Android phones and linked in to PSN.

Sony have some of the very best game studios in the world, and if they were tasked with creating Android exclusive games... well, it would be interesting, and Jobs might hand that part of iOS across to someone else that actually likes gaming.
  • Reply 37 of 58
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

This will appeal to gamers especially PS gamers out there. And that's about it..

Well, that is a decent number. More than 230,000,000 of Playstations sold in the last 10 years (PS2, PS3, PSP).

PSP alone sold more than 60,000,000 units so far; not bat for a "failure".
  • Reply 38 of 58
    orlandoorlando Posts: 601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

It looks ok, but it's for a niche market.

niche market? Have you got any idea just how big the handheld gaming market is?

Nintendo has sold over 130 million of the Nintendo DS and Sony has sold over 60 million PSPs. These are real gamers - people willing to buy high priced games unlike a lot of iOS and Android buyers who want free or cheap $1.99 apps. A modern smartphone with proper gaming controls could be massive, easily selling enough that major game developers will create unique titles that use those controls.
  • Reply 39 of 58
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

niche market? Have you got any idea just how big the handheld gaming market is?

Nintendo has sold over 130 million of the Nintendo DS and Sony has sold over 60 million PSPs. These are real gamers - people willing to buy high priced games unlike a lot of iOS and Android buyers who want free or cheap $1.99 apps. A modern smartphone with proper gaming controls could be massive, easily selling enough that major game developers will create unique titles that use those controls.

you're talking about 10 years of cumulative sales. but that was then and this is now. gaming paradigms shift every decade to a new generation of both hardware and game concepts. it's over for the DSI and PSP. their sales are dropping like a rock. the next era of much lower priced touchscreen and "social" games is taking over rapidly. kids nowadays are growing up on these, not buttons/toggles.

sure, there will always be some hard core addicted "gamers" that have to play with their control thingees. but otherwise ....

dude (and Sony), it's over.
  • Reply 40 of 58
    One day Sony will realize that those FUGLY slide phones are popular only in Japan. The new PSP is the ugliest thing I ever seen.

They claim to be "stylish" on their commercials but they're just another DELL.