iPad or 11" Macbook Air?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm sure I'm not the only one in this conundrum. I realise that the Air is capable of far more than the iPad, but if your uses for it are limited but typing intensive which would you go for? I am a writer currently working on a (aluminium unibody) Macbook. For a while now I've been considering getting an iPad with a separate Apple keyboard to work on in libraries and the like. This has the advantage of being able to separate the screen and keyboard and help avoid RSI and neck strain. (Last year I had to get a separate keyboard and laptop stand for this very reason). However, the iPad would mean having to opt for iPad's Pages over Word and working on iOS rather than Mac OS X (maybe not a problem). Or I could go with the new Macbook Air. I wouldn't have the advantage of separate screen and input but it would all be one system, more powerful and still lighter than my 13" Macbook. Might need a stand for intensive writing sessions though?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    To me this is a no-brainer--the Macbook Air of course. You are a writer. That about sums it up.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    I have the same issue, perhaps even worse. I am an aspiring writer as well as an aspiring photographer -- I currently have a macbook pro 13 that I love, but it's STILL too heavy to carry around every day (I'm such a wuss!) and ironically, I now worry about traveling with the computer that has ALL my information on it! Damn, we consumers are never satisfied

I have a folding bluetooth keyboard that I have been experimenting using with my iphone, a device i literally have on me at all times except when sleeping (at which point it's about 2 feet away). The problem with my iphone/keyboard experiment is not what you would think (screen size). It's that it is actually a bit involved to have to keep turning on the phone, opening the keyboard, setting bluetooth to "on", etc.., as an aspiring writer myself, I need a keyboard option, but my fear is that with an ipad, the experience would be much the same as with my iphone. Compare that with the instant on (and instant keyboard) of macbook air, and the choice is not so clear.

As far as I can see, the issue stacks up this way:

Air: instant keyboard, USB, flash, same software as always, but less battery life (crucial in a mobile device) and while very light for a laptop, still no featherweight, truth be told.

ipad: great battery life, lighter in weight (two critical features in my opinion), but a funky keyboard solution (adding a keyboard to ipad seems a little counter intuitive)

For a writer, I think the balance tips toward Air. The photographer in me likes the way ipad is moving as far as displaying photos. I'll stick with my awesome MBP 13 for every day use, but for a true LUXURY computer item, should I go ipad or air? I'm not quite sure.

I would love to hear other people's thoughts on this!
  • Reply 3 of 13
    You're right... the iPad keyboard is a kludge.

It's OK for occasional use, but a pain if you're doing a lot of mobile typing.

If you're seriously writing, get the Air.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    I love my iPad.

But I would not use it for writing.

Air + Scrivener.

C.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    MacBook Air 13" is my recommendation. 11" if you can handle that screen size.

The MBA 13" will make the MBP 13" feel like a rock.

If you're worried about all your data use FileVault <--- RESEARCH CAREFULLY AND BACKUP ACCORDINGLY BEFORE ACTIVATING IT.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AugustWest View Post

I have the same issue, perhaps even worse. I am an aspiring writer as well as an aspiring photographer -- I currently have a macbook pro 13 that I love, but it's STILL too heavy to carry around every day (I'm such a wuss!) and ironically, I now worry about traveling with the computer that has ALL my information on it! Damn, we consumers are never satisfied

I have a folding bluetooth keyboard that I have been experimenting using with my iphone, a device i literally have on me at all times except when sleeping (at which point it's about 2 feet away). The problem with my iphone/keyboard experiment is not what you would think (screen size). It's that it is actually a bit involved to have to keep turning on the phone, opening the keyboard, setting bluetooth to "on", etc.., as an aspiring writer myself, I need a keyboard option, but my fear is that with an ipad, the experience would be much the same as with my iphone. Compare that with the instant on (and instant keyboard) of macbook air, and the choice is not so clear.

As far as I can see, the issue stacks up this way:

Air: instant keyboard, USB, flash, same software as always, but less battery life (crucial in a mobile device) and while very light for a laptop, still no featherweight, truth be told.

ipad: great battery life, lighter in weight (two critical features in my opinion), but a funky keyboard solution (adding a keyboard to ipad seems a little counter intuitive)

For a writer, I think the balance tips toward Air. The photographer in me likes the way ipad is moving as far as displaying photos. I'll stick with my awesome MBP 13 for every day use, but for a true LUXURY computer item, should I go ipad or air? I'm not quite sure.

I would love to hear other people's thoughts on this!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mpw_amherst View Post

I'm sure I'm not the only one in this conundrum. I realise that the Air is capable of far more than the iPad, but if your uses for it are limited but typing intensive which would you go for? I am a writer currently working on a (aluminium unibody) Macbook. For a while now I've been considering getting an iPad with a separate Apple keyboard to work on in libraries and the like. This has the advantage of being able to separate the screen and keyboard and help avoid RSI and neck strain. (Last year I had to get a separate keyboard and laptop stand for this very reason). However, the iPad would mean having to opt for iPad's Pages over Word and working on iOS rather than Mac OS X (maybe not a problem). Or I could go with the new Macbook Air. I wouldn't have the advantage of separate screen and input but it would all be one system, more powerful and still lighter than my 13" Macbook. Might need a stand for intensive writing sessions though?

• Reply 6 of 13
    My reason for hesitation however is the RSI I suffered from before from so much typing. Obviously I had to lug my Macbook, separate keyboard and laptop stand to work with me. Now I realise the 11" is much lighter, but the screen would be at an even lower angle for long periods of work. An iPad I could jack up on books in the library and then use with a keyboard. Less power, no Word though...
  • Reply 7 of 13
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:

I'm sure I'm not the only one in this conundrum. I realise that the Air is capable of far more than the iPad, but if your uses for it are limited but typing intensive which would you go for?

This should be a no brainer. Hoever not for the reason you are dwelling on but rather because of software availability. Last I knew iPad had little in the way of software for writers. Mac OS/X however gives you lots of options.

Quote:

I am a writer currently working on a (aluminium unibody) Macbook. For a while now I've been considering getting an iPad with a separate Apple keyboard to work on in libraries and the like.

As a machine for a writer no way!!!!

Quote:

This has the advantage of being able to separate the screen and keyboard and help avoid RSI and neck strain.

BS! Every Mac laptop has the same advantage, frankly I think you are looking for anexcuse to buy an iPad.

Quote:

(Last year I had to get a separate keyboard and laptop stand for this very reason). However, the iPad would mean having to opt for iPad's Pages over Word and working on iOS rather than Mac OS X (maybe not a problem).

Are you serious about using Word? That could lead to some of your RSI problems right there.

Quote:

Or I could go with the new Macbook Air. I wouldn't have the advantage of separate screen and input but it would all be one system, more powerful and still lighter than my 13" Macbook. Might need a stand for intensive writing sessions though?

I'd keep your Mac Book for writing and get the iPad you want for other things. Seriously you won't have a faster machine by buying an AIR and the weight is not enough to worry about.

By the way I know of several people that had or have RSI injuries, it is no fun at all. Many of these people ended up having surgery which is downtime you probably don't want. However i'm not so sure why you are so focused on weight, as that did not cause your injuries. You would be far better off investing in a case/book bag or backpack that is easy to handle and carry. When it comes right down to it the iPad isn't something you want to be gripping in your condition. Much less doing the touchy feely stuff.

In the end I'd suggest sitting back and clearing your mind because what you propose doesn't seem to be in sync with your medical issues.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Thanks for your reply. I'd actually prefer to go with the Air and could even go with both in future but I want to make the practical choice for work.

With regards software for writers I'm meaning Pages. As a novelist I don't need fancying editing tools but a powerful WP to handle lots of text and cutting, pasting, editing and formatting as well as commenting on others' work.

How might Word cause my RSI? I've just upgraded to 2011 which I'm most impressed with. Perhaps I should make clear that my RSI was muscular pain in the neck and shoulder through staring down at a screen and reaching for a keyboard - hence my working for the best solution (should I need it again) for lightweight options with screen and keyboard separates. Maybe that would be an Air - but I'd still have to take the keyboard and laptop with me.

And thanks for the sympathy with the RSI. Physio sorted it and I haven't had carpal tunnel, so that's fortunate.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:

With regards software for writers I'm meaning Pages. As a novelist I don't need fancying editing tools but a powerful WP to handle lots of text and cutting, pasting, editing and formatting as well as commenting on others' work.

I suggest that as a writer, you take a long hard look at Scrivener.

There's quite a few videos to watch to show how it is used for creative writing.

http://www.literatureandlatte.com/scrivener.html

C.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    As much as I love my iPad I think a macbook air would be best for you. This is assuming that you want to edit and do all that good stuff. I suppose if you just want to go somewhere and write a bunch then edit it at a later point and iPad might be a more useful option.

I know when im writing anything I always edit as I go so to do anything lengthy on an ipad would be a pain.

Another consideration is toating around the ipad plus a keyboard probably takes up more space than an 11" air.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lawyered View Post

As much as I love my iPad I think a macbook air would be best for you. This is assuming that you want to edit and do all that good stuff. I suppose if you just want to go somewhere and write a bunch then edit it at a later point and iPad might be a more useful option.

I know when im writing anything I always edit as I go so to do anything lengthy on an ipad would be a pain.

Another consideration is toating around the ipad plus a keyboard probably takes up more space than an 11" air.

Thanks I reckon you're probably right. Any pointers for equipment I can use to secure/lock the Air given it doesn't have a kensington port?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    iPad has an app called Writer which you might find interesting, but I'd probably recommend the 13" MacBook Air. The 13" MacBook Air is big enough to fit a nice amount of text on screen at once, and the battery when simply typing will be even better than that of the iPad - if the recent review from AnandTech is to be believed. (11.2 hours)
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Thanks I reckon you're probably right. Any pointers for equipment I can use to secure/lock the Air given it doesn't have a kensington port?

Not that I know of, well short of locking it in a briefcase that is locked to the desk. If you go with the ipad you can use the find my iphone app to track it down if someone steals it. Actually about a month ago my girlfriend had her iphone stolen off her desk at work and it didnt help much because we live in new york city, there is probably a couple hunder thousand people in the area that showed up on the app, no way would we ever find it.

I actually read a story a while back about someone leaving their ipad on a plane and some flight attendant took it home and they found it using the find my iphone app, the police went and recovered it and the airline shipped it back to the owner. I'm assuming it was in a pretty rural area.

I would imagine as soon as the mac app store comes out there will be a app to locate your macbook.