Apple's iPad now on sale from Verizon and AT&T

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday began selling the iPad through the two largest wireless carriers in the U.S. -- Verizon and AT&T -- as retail expansion of the touchscreen tablet before the holidays continues.

The Oct. 28 launch was announced earlier this month, and both companies will sell the product in their brick-and-mortar retail stores starting today. AT&T will sell all three iPad Wi-Fi + 3G models at their standard pricing, while Verizon will sell the iPad with Wi-Fi and a MiFi 2200 Intelligent Mobile Hotspot router at the same price.

AT&T will offer data plans at $14.99 for 250MB per month, and $25 per month for 2GB of data with no term contract. Those plans also include unlimited access to AT&T's more than 23,000 domestic Wi-Fi Hot Spots. The iPads sell for $629 for 16GB, $729 for 32GB, and $829 for 64GB.

On Verizon, iPad customers will be able to buy 1GB of data for $20 per month, 3GB for $35, or a $50-per-month plan that gets 5GB of data. Unlike the iPad AT&T will sell, Verizon's iPad does not have built-in 3G and will require use of the MiFi mobile router for non-Wi-Fi Internet connections.

The iPad's availability at AT&T was expected, as the company has been the exclusive wireless carrier of the iPhone in the U.S. since Apple's handset launched in 2007. But the deal with Verizon came as a surprise, as the largest wireless carrier in the U.S. has been rumored to partner with Apple for the iPhone for years, but a deal has never come to be.

Verizon's sale of the iPad for the holiday season has helped to fuel rumors that the carrier will begin offering a CDMA version of the iPhone compatible with its network starting in early 2011.

Apple had quickly expanded the retail presence of the iPad in time for the holidays. On Oct. 15, the device went on sale at Walmart, while Target and Amazon started their sales on Oct 3.. Best Buy expanded sales to all of their retail stores on Sept. 26.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    the Verizon offering is a waste of time. My first iPad was of course the WiFi model and i thought i could use the MyFi to have internet all the time....

Well, the problem is that when the WiFi ipad sleeps, it sleeps the WiFi signal. Not so with the 3G model that i have now. the 3G is always on. just like the iPhone.

the ipad wifi with a Verizon MyFi is a waste of money.... imho
  • Reply 2 of 35
    did hell just freeze over?
  • Reply 3 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

No, but it came damn near close.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    zindakozindako Posts: 468member
    Oh all of a sudden Verizon wants to embrace Apple products!! Guess they realize who is king now.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    jblongzjblongz Posts: 167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

the Verizon offering is a waste of time. My first iPad was of course the WiFi model and i thought i could use the MyFi to have internet all the time....

Well, the problem is that when the WiFi ipad sleeps, it sleeps the WiFi signal. Not so with the 3G model that i have now. the 3G is always on. just like the iPhone.

I absolutely agree. I pre-ordered the iPAd 3G knowing these issues would occur. Verizon is just trying to be in the loop as soon as it can. Wifi Wifi-Only buyers are 'mostly' uninformed or technically lame. I say that because they are unware of the sheer benefits of the Wifi+3g models
  • Reply 6 of 35
    Quote:

"Oh, no! I actually have to use my iPad to see my new e-mails! Oh, wait, I couldn't actually read them without turning it on, thus activating Wi-Fi anyway."
  • Reply 7 of 35
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    This is beginning to sound like the fragmentation Jobs talked about.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    la1la1 Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tallest skil View Post

"oh, no! I actually have to use my ipad to see my new e-mails! Oh, wait, i couldn't actually read them without turning it on, thus activating wi-fi anyway."

+1

---
  • Reply 9 of 35
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JBlongz View Post

Wifi Wifi-Only buyers are 'mostly' uninformed or technically lame. I say that because they are unware of the sheer benefits of the Wifi+3g models

I want to play this game, too...

ATT 3G iPad owners are mostly foolish and unaware of the limitations of their device. They have to repurchase a 3G modem with every device they buy and pay for separate data plans for each of them. Talk about a waste of money! They must be unaware of the possibilities for using a MiFi device and a single contract to get your iPad, iPad touch, your laptop, as well as any of your friend's or other family member's devices online by sharing your access point. And when they upgrade their iPad, they need to AGAIN pay extra for a 3G modem since they can't keep the one built into their old 3G iPad.

This is a fun game!
  • Reply 10 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Oh, no! I actually have to use my iPad to see my new e-mails! Oh, wait, I couldn't actually read them without turning it on, thus activating Wi-Fi anyway."

that would be a useful comment IF the iPad only read emails.....

what about a program i use called IM+?

what about a program i use called PocketTunes?

you must be justifying your WiFi only purchase....
  • Reply 11 of 35
    Quote:

that would be a useful comment IF the iPad only read emails.....

what about a program i use called IM+?

what about a program i use called PocketTunes?

you must be justifying your WiFi only purchase....

Do those even work when your iPad is locked?
  • Reply 12 of 35
    Quote:

only on my iPad 3G, not on my WiFi iPad with a MyFi sitting right next to it.

I have all those stupid toys and as a owner / user of all of them, the iPad 3G is an ALWAYS connected device. just like my iPhones.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    Verizon has set free the iPad from it's mobile broadband captors. Free at last, free at last. Okay Verizon don't disappoint your fans with knucklehead decisions like ATT made okay!
  • Reply 14 of 35
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JBlongz View Post

I absolutely agree. I pre-ordered the iPAd 3G knowing these issues would occur. Verizon is just trying to be in the loop as soon as it can. Wifi Wifi-Only buyers are 'mostly' uninformed or technically lame. I say that because they are unware of the sheer benefits of the Wifi+3g models

That's odd, my iPad still gets email and other network related alerts/data while it is locked and sleeping, so I'm not sure you know what you're talking about.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    Hmmm.....I"ve got $629 to purchase an iPad. What to do?....

Verizon:
    • Wifi only iPad (no GPS!)

• Connects via mifi to slower CDMA network

• mifi device only compatible here in US....won't work globally

• mifi device has a much shorter battery life than the iPad.

• Must configure/carry/charge/connect another separate device

• No GPS chip in the Wifi iPad

AT&T:
    • Wifi + 3G + GPS Model for same price as Verizon's Wifi-only model

• AT&T 3G GSM is faster than Verizon's CDMA

• 3G is global

• Free access to over 20k wifi hotspots (don't need to use valuable GBs on plan)

• lower monthly service entry price point

I'm sorry....the Verizon solution looks adhoc. It appears like some engineer at Verizon said "Hey, if we connect this to that, configure this other device, use some glue and other connectors, we can make this iPad work on our network!"

The day that I forget to charge this mifi device is the day I regret this solution.
  • Reply 16 of 35
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

They do on my iPad. I still get mail and even IM's in AIM (if AIM is open). Not sure why some of these people think the WiFi is automatically turned off when the iPad is locked or sleeping?
  • Reply 17 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lightstriker View Post

Not yet.. In January it will..
  • Reply 18 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zindako View Post

Oh all of a sudden Verizon wants to embrace Apple products!! Guess they realize who is king now.

No I just think Apple is doing the smart thing is is going to make a world phone that can run on any carrier and the iPad is just the start with Verizon.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Verizon:

AT&T:

• 3G is global

• Free access to over 20k wifi hotspots (don't need to use valuable GBs on plan)

I'm sorry....the Verizon solution looks adhoc. It appears like some engineer at Verizon said "Hey, if we connect this to that, configure this other device, use some glue and other connectors, we can make this iPad work on our network!"

The day that I forget to charge this mifi device is the day I regret this solution.

Yeah the Verizon situation doesn't make any real sense for many users unless you happen to live say in an area in the midwest where ATT could have poor 3G coverage.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noexpectations View Post

Verizon:

AT&T:

• 3G is global

I just love (ie, I hate) when people create these intentionally biased lists. I mean, at least try to appear a little unbiased if you are trying to help people make informed choices. Oh wait, you weren't trying to be helpful. You are just being a shill for ATT.

Let me balance things out a bit for you...

- You listed "no GPS" twice for Verizon just to up the cons list. And there are options for adding GPS to a wi-fi only iPad if you decide later you really need it (obviously, at an exrtra cost).

- Verizon has a wi-fi hotspot network, too, that you (and AI) conveniently neglect to mention when talking about ATTs hotspots (yes, it's less extensive than ATT's, but they do have one).

- GSM is theoretically faster than CDMA, just like USB 2.0 is theoretically faster than FW400. And we all know how accurate that claim is. Signal coverage for both carriers is highly dependent on where you are. If you are in an area of poor/no ATT coverage, like I am sometimes, all the speed claims in the world aren't going to help you.

- The pricing plans alternate between carriers. If you typical usage is between 2-3 GB, the Verizon plan is better. Saying ATT has a lower entry point is like saying you can get a PC for cheaper than a Mac. What are you needs?

- If you have a 3G iPad, but also an iPod touch and/or a laptop you'd like to get online, just how many ATT data plans are you willing to pay for?

- If you upgrade your iPad in the spring, you need to pay the "built-in 3G" premium all over again. Or once the carriers get 4G up and running, you have to buy a whole new iPad, I'll probably be able to just get a new MiFi device.

- If, like most Americans, you don't travel outside the US, why would you care about "global" 3G. And how much are you willing to pay ATT for international data plans? And a wi-fi iPad will work just fine at the many internet cafes you'll find everywhere you travel overseas (they are much more common than in the US).

I'm not saying Verizon is the universally better option. It's just different. Choose depending on your needs.