Would you pay $120 to see a Beatles cover band?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Even if i like the Beatles i dont think of spending 120$ on a cover band.

Quote:

First came the original band, then a decade later the Broadway re-creation "Beatlemania," and now baby boomers can relive the '60s with "Rain: A Tribute to the Beatles on Broadway" running at the Neil Simon Theater through January 2. Although purists might sneer at this concert/theatrical experience, there's no denying that, as cover bands go, this is one of the best.

Article

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I guess what you're paying for is the stage show special effects, as I highly doubt it's just gonna be four guys pretending to play guitar and mouth the words.

Imagine a big, yellow submarine a la Miss Saigon's helicopter...
  • Reply 2 of 8
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

I guess what you're paying for is the stage show special effects, as I highly doubt it's just gonna be four guys pretending to play guitar and mouth the words.

Imagine a big, yellow submarine a la Miss Saigon's helicopter...

I would never pay to hear any band cover anyone else's music. Charging money for second hand entertainment is "acquiring the urine".
  • Reply 3 of 8
    floorjackfloorjack Posts: 2,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

I would never pay to hear any band cover anyone else's music. Charging money for second hand entertainment is "acquiring the urine".

That makes no sense at all. Like one band write and preforms a song and after they are done it will never be heard in public again?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

That makes no sense at all. Like one band write and preforms a song and after they are done it will never be heard in public again?

I was somewhat unclear there; I was referring to bands that make a career out of covering tunes written by other bands, or even the trend towards bands modeling themselves on existing, or past major acts, such as "Beatles cover bands" or "Rolling Stones cover bands", or "whoever cover bands" If this trend took hold to an even greater extent, songwriters and music acts would likely be less inclined to write new material, under the impression that the "listening public only want to listen to songs that they already know".... which is, of course, not the case. However, listening to corporate music radio, especially in the area of "classic rock"... the playlist is (usually) so limited and small that listeners know specific bands on account of one or two (arbitrary) tunes which get repeated ad nauseam, as if the artists in question only wrote those one or two songs.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheldon25 View Post

Even if i like the Beatles i dont think of spending 120$ on a cover band.

Article

No group is worth that money.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I think for the experience, it's totally worth it. If I had the money I'd do it. You're not just going for the "cover band"
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I would never go to see any cover band's performance as I only prefer original band's performance. Paying that much money to see a cover band would be a waste of time for me.

PEACE
  • Reply 8 of 8
    I'm 32, so, "no".

However, in 1999 my local college student bar had a cover band that did Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, Red Hot CP, Goo Goo Dolls etc. Was quite delightful, and it was free! It got even better after the 5th beer was down the hatch.

If there was a really excellent cover band today that would do the great alt-rock songs of 1995-2002 (for Gen Y like me) I would pay $100 if it was like 2 hours or so... Relive my late-high-school, college and first-started-working years, many parts of which are quite hazy due to all the drinking.