TSA clears Apple's 11-inch MacBook Air to stay in carry-on at airports

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

I expect their spokesperson to only make public statements if they are actual policies they intend to follow...

You don't travel much in the US, do you?
  • Reply 22 of 34
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Of course, arguing with a TSA agent is about as foolish as arguing with a police officer. You are never, NEVER, going to be able to educate them that they are not current on their guidelines. They have no reason to trust you, that you know what you are talking about and not just making shit up. If they just took your word on it, then anyone could make up any guideline. "Oh, there is a new guideline that says you can take bombs on planes? My manager must have forgotten to pass that one on to me. Ok, if you say so. Go ahead, sir."

If you are concerned about it, print a copy of the guideline. Let them do their search (they shouldn't trust any print out you have either. Easily forged). After you are given permission to continue on your way, give them a copy. Agruing with them BEFORE you are cleared is, like you say, going to get you a cavity search.

Once upon a time we operated on a presumption of innocence and armed authorities had to show cause for infringing on our right to move about unmolested.

Now, we get You Tube videos of people getting tasered into unconsciousness for not asking how high when the cops say jump, and most of the comments are along of "dumb ass had it coming."

Good times.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    'Yet another benefit of the 'Air...
  • Reply 24 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I agree. In half the airports I've been at, I've been asked to take out the iPad (with the subsequent dressing-down "gee, can't your hea/read/follow instructions.... blah blah...."). This, despite the fact that the TSA has said the iPad can stay in the carry-on as well.

Now, I just pre-emptively take it out so as to avoid the likelihood of getting hassled.

Sounds like it might be wise to print a copy of the TSA reg from their website that allows MBA 11 so you can wave it in their face. On the other hand, that just might get you "special treatment" for being a wise ass.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Sounds like it might be wise to print a copy of the TSA reg from their website that allows MBA 11 so you can wave it in their face. On the other hand, that just might get you "special treatment" for wise ass.

If they were willing to read and an interest in being reasonable they wouldn?t be TSAs. I really have no love for this profession or people as it;s currently handled.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Once upon a time we operated on a presumption of innocence and armed authorities had to show cause for infringing on our right to move about unmolested.

Now, we get You Tube videos of people getting tasered into unconsciousness for not asking how high when the cops say jump, and most of the comments are along of "dumb ass had it coming."

Good times.

Too bad FDR isn't still around. ". . . nothing to fear but fear itself" is a message that we need to hear and understand again.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rcarlton View Post

You don't travel much in the US, do you?

As I said in mny previous post I make 2-4 flights per week 50 weeks per year in the US....

Iam not sure why my statement would make you think otherwise. I know they don't follow ANY of their announced policies and that individual TSA teams in each airport make it up as they go along. Security was actually much more consistently enforced before the TSA.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    k.c.k.c. Posts: 60member
    Yet another AI thread degrades into a pissing match. It's a shame you guys are so willing to show your immaturity.
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by K.C. View Post

Yet another AI thread degrades into a pissing match. It's a shame you guys are so willing to show your immaturity.

What are you talking about? People are just having a conversation here, as far as I can tell.

Stop being so sensitive.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    Another effort by paid public servants which will have no impact other than to further hassle those delusional travelers that believe a policy has any meaning to the security employees.

I now automatically unpack my iPad. The first 2 out of 3 trips I was asked to unpack it.

You can all feel safe now. Our Homeland Security folks will protect us with their cunning intelligence and commitment to firmly enforcing known policy.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    There is no better marketing pitch to a traveling business person than this. It's the little things that make the biggest difference and Apple is the master of the little things.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by K.C. View Post

This really seems like the first immature post in the thread.

Are you referring to myself and others who are simply relating the reality of what these announcements from the TSA really mean?

Should we have just ignored the story and left everyone believing they should go buy an 11" MBA because it will let them breeze through security without opening their bag?
  • Reply 33 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

As I said in mny previous post I make 2-4 flights per week 50 weeks per year in the US....

Iam not sure why my statement would make you think otherwise. I know they don't follow ANY of their announced policies and that individual TSA teams in each airport make it up as they go along. Security was actually much more consistently enforced before the TSA.

Sorry about that, I missed the irony in your original post.

I too travel a good bit and see wildly inconsistent TSA policies.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Assume the position: TSA begins new nut-busting pat-downs

Jeffrey Goldberg of The Atlantic flew several times this week and had a revealing discussion about the new pat-down rules with a couple of TSA agents. Here's an excerpt from his far more lively description:

I asked him if the new guidelines included a cavity search. "No way. You think Congress would allow that?"

I answered, "If you're a terrorist, you're going to hide your weapons in your anus or your vagina." He blushed when I said "vagina."

"Yes, but starting tomorrow, we're going to start searching your crotchal area"?this is the word he used, "crotchal"?"and you're not going to like it."

"What am I not going to like?" I asked.

"We have to search up your thighs and between your legs until we meet resistance," he explained.

"Resistance?" I asked.

"Your testicles," he explained.

'That's funny," I said, "because 'The Resistance' is the actual name I've given to my testicles."

He answered, "Like 'The Situation,' that guy from Jersey Shore?"

* The plot is what I call my penis.