Carbon deprecation?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Any speculation as to when Apple starts deprecating Carbon? It will definitely happen eventually, the question is when.

I think the only thing holding back Carbon deprecation is the fact that MS Office (well, Word, Excel and PowerPoint) is written in Carbon. Since Adobe re-wrote CS5 in Cocoa, the only thing keeping Carbon alive is Microsoft (yeah, I know lots of other apps are still written in Carbon, but Microsoft is the only company with the leverage to keep it alive).

I'm guessing Microsoft will be under a lot of pressure to rewrite all remaining Carbon apps in Cocoa for the next version of Office (after 2010).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    iTunes is Carbon. AutoCAD is Carbon. That's what's holding it back.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    targontargon Posts: 103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil;

iTunes is Carbon. AutoCAD is Carbon. That's what's holding it back.

AutoCAD is Cocoa! Where on earth did you get the idea it is Carbon?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Targon View Post

AutoCAD is Cocoa! Where on earth did you get the idea it is Carbon?

Oh, lovely! I had read Carbon somewhere and was incredulous. Good to see it is Cocoa.

Still iTunes, though...
  • Reply 4 of 8
    targontargon Posts: 103member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil;

Oh, lovely! I had read Carbon somewhere and was incredulous. Good to see it is Cocoa.

Still iTunes, though...

AutoCAD is 64bit Cocoa goodness

Still iTunes is Carbon boo boo :-(
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Targon View Post

AutoCAD is 64bit Cocoa goodness

Still iTunes is Carbon boo boo :-(

Apple should split up iTunes into at least 3 different apps:

Hardware Sync

Music

Movies

App Store

The Mac App Store will be a separate app, and all apps on the iPad/iPhone/iTouch are separated out into music/movies/itunes store/app store.

That seems to be Apple's plan. What probably holds them back is how to distribute such separate apps to Windows users without annoying them.

And, yes, such separate apps could relatively easily each be written in Cocoa.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Music and movies can easily remain combined in iTunes (alongside TV Shows). For the syncing, we could just bring back iSync, but to make the process cleaner, just create a new application (no idea for names) that does iDevice syncing, holds eBooks and Apps, and has access to the App Store.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    iTunes should be renamed to something along the lines of iMedia ( I think this name is taken though).

iHub will be the all encompassing syncing app. It manages all the things that can sync with iPods iPads and iPhones. Ties in Address Book, iCal, music, videos, photos, ebooks, and apps along with managing anything else that comes along.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Not only is iTunes Carbon, but so are Photoshop and Office 2011. That means the ability to run Carbon applications will stay for the next several years.