Sprint CEO says Apple's Wi-Fi iPad has boosted wireless hotspot sales

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Though the iPad is not available for use directly on Sprint's network, owners of the Wi-Fi-only model have helped to increase sales of the carrier's Overdrive MiFi wireless hotspot, Sprint's CEO has revealed.

In an interview with GigaOm, Dan Hesse of Sprint said that his company has seen an increase in demand for its 3G and 4G Overdrive wireless hotspot since the iPad launched this year. The chief executive of the third-largest carrier in the U.S. said that most iPads being sold are the Wi-Fi-only model, and those users are relying on devices like the Overdrive for connectivity on the go.

In April, after the iPad launched, Sprint was quick to capitalize on the initial success of the device, offering a "4G case" for the tablet. The case holds a user's iPad, as well as a 4G Overdrive mobile hotspot for connectivity shared over Wi-Fi.

Sprint earlier this year also featured the iPhone in a commercial for the Overdrive. The TV spot touted that Sprint's 4G connectivity is up to 10 times faster than AT&T's 3G speeds.

While Sprint has sold Overdrives and cases specifically for the iPad, the carrier still does not have the right to sell Apple's touchscreen tablet. This week, the first two U.S. carriers to sell the iPad -- Verizon and AT&T -- began offering the device at their retail stores.

Like Sprint, Verizon's wireless network is not compatible with Apple's iPad model that includes built-in 3G connectivity. To get around that, Verizon has bundled its own MiFi hotspot with sales of the device. The nation's largest wireless carrier also offers 1GB of data for $20 per month for iPad users.

GigaOm also asked Hesse about the possibility of the iPhone appearing on his company's network. The CEO, however, declined to comment, and noted that his company does not reveal conversations it has with third parties.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    With Sprint going the wimax route I don't think we'll ever see the iPhone on their network.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

With Sprint going the wimax route I don't think we'll ever see the iPhone on their network.

I think by the time Apple goes the LTE route Sprint will have announced they will be adding LTE, too. My previous comment assumes Sprint wishes to be viable in the future and that they aren?t managed by manatees with idea balls.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

GigaOm also asked Hesse about the possibility of the iPhone appearing on his company's network. The CEO, however, declined to comment, and noted that his company does not reveal conversations it has with third parties.

Ah, looks like they have been trained, finally!
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Very smart. Dont fight progress, jump on it.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    juandljuandl Posts: 230member
    Of all the big 4 Carriers in the U.S. I think Sprint is very important. ATT served a real big purpose in letting Apple dictate most of their direction. It has been a great if not anxious ride for ATT though. I am sure many a times they wondered , "What in the Hell have we done?"

But Apple has actually paid of handsomely for them. They will probably be the biggest company pretty soon again. (Take that Verizon).

But back to Sprint again. Because of falling numbers. And also because Hesse enjoyed being considered a very important 'Player' in the tech field. He knows that the only way Sprint can stay in competition with the other big 2. Will be in Pricing. They almost had the upper hand with WiMax.

If not for LTE being pushed on so hurriedly by the big 2, Sprint would have been sitting really pretty. They even had Google on board. To bad Android went heavy the Verizon route. Imagine what would be if it would had gone WiMax instead.

Well they cannot cry over spilled milk. Even though I think LTE is gonna be somewhat crippled by

Verizon and or ATT. For sure they are gonna try to overprice it. Don't believe for one minute that they are doing it for our benefit.

But that is why Sprint still can be very relevant. They, more than any of the other guys, know that it will be pricing that can somewhat level up the playing field. Its to bad that they did not cover more of the U.S. with WiMax, (I know, they need money, investors and the like).

But they could continue in the WiFi thru WiMax offering. Or even the MiFi deal. Right now, all my Internet needs are being covered by the Virgin MobileMiFi that they own. Can't beat that on price.

Come On Sprint. Keep bringing the prices lower and lower. The other guys will have to follow you. If not you can still get a lot more customers.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Ah, looks like they have been trained, finally!

I think that involves a Keynote presentation by someone from Apple, featuring Steve's foot and bold type stating "where this will go if you squeal..."
  • Reply 7 of 26
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    With every wireless vendor wanting to have a separate wireless access monthly charge (with its own ETF) for every device, the 3G/4G MiFi routers really are the way to go IMO.

Tethering via my iPhone (iOS 3.0.1) seemed like a good concept, at least until I realized I was running down the battery in my phone in the process. To pay a separate tethering charge in addition to the existing data plan is where I drew the line. If I'm going to do that, I might as well have a MiFi router for similar money, as it's more flexible.

OTOH, I'd just hate to get locked in to a current Verizon 3G MiFi router, knowing that they will be rolling out their 4G/LTE data network in a big way in 2011. Also, Verizon's 3G MiFi speeds are slow compared to AT&T, and downright glacial compared to the Spring 4G/WiMax MiFi (if you happen to live in one of their coverage cities, which I don't.)

That said, the Verizon 3G MiFi monthly data plan rates are pretty good right now -- if you buy the MiFi bundled with a WiFi iPad at their stores.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    What's up with WiMax anyway? It was supposed to be *the* big thing, the last mile solution, the 4G everyone wanted that will be in all devices, as ubiquitous as wifi.

What happened? In the US and even many countries around the world... WiMax kinda didn't live up to the hype at all. More like VaporMax.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

What's up with WiMax anyway? It was supposed to be *the* big thing, the last mile solution, the 4G everyone wanted that will be in all devices, as ubiquitous as wifi.

What happened? In the US and even many countries around the world... WiMax kinda didn't live up to the hype at all. More like VaporMax.

There was a short time frame that it looked promising but by the time Sprint bought Clearwire LTE looked like the much better longterm solution over “Why?MAX”.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

?Why?MAX?.

• Reply 11 of 26
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    Maybe Apple should buy Sprint.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Quote:

There was a short time frame that it looked promising but by the time Sprint bought Clearwire LTE looked like the much better longterm solution over ?Why?MAX?.

Is LTE mainly a US thing? Are we going to see yet more fragmentation in 4G? Even 2G/3G diversity is pretty difficult at this stage, not just the US, but China as well doing its own thing. I thought all these telcos sit down and sort this stuff out. Interoperability is to their benefit by standardising hardware, components, leveraging economies of scale, avoiding antitrust and free trade issues.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Quote:

Is LTE mainly a US thing? Are we going to see yet more fragmentation in 4G? Even 2G/3G diversity is pretty difficult at this stage, not just the US, but China as well doing its own thing. I thought all these telcos sit down and sort this stuff out. Interoperability is to their benefit by standardising hardware, components, leveraging economies of scale, avoiding antitrust and free trade issues.

LTE is as close to a worldwide standard as I?ve seen from mobile network operators. The biggest contender to standard LTE looks to be TD-LTE from China Mobile due to their huge numbers of subs, but I don?t think they?re close to making that a reality.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Quote:

LTE is supposed to be fairly standardized and widely supported across the world. Of course, that doesn't mean you won't pay exorbitant LTE roaming fees, just that technology won't prevent you from getting a connection.

Also, apparently the initial LTE release is technically only "3.9G" as it doesn't meet all the requirements to be called "4G". About what you'd expect from a technology that Verizon will support. But at least they'll have a snarky ad campaign to go with it!
  • Reply 15 of 26
    I love it, if fit in my wallet I will get one.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:

?Why?MAX?.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Glad I'm not the only one that thinks so.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    Hope that means they will improve the network here in Chicago. The Sprint/Clear 4G is currently no faster then AT&T 3G.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    pwjpwj Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Also, apparently the initial LTE release is technically only "3.9G" as it doesn't meet all the requirements to be called "4G". About what you'd expect from a technology that Verizon will support. But at least they'll have a snarky ad campaign to go with it!

Sprint WiMAX also doesn't technically qualify as 4G, yet that hasn't stopped Sprint from massively marketing its WiMAX network and WiMAX handsets as 4G.

Also, AT&T's chosen next network is also LTE. T-Mobile is the outlier here in (rightly, in my opinion) focusing on building out its 3G HSPA+ network, which yields speeds comparable to "4G" networks built by other operators

Not sure what your point about Verizon is here.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    What most uninformed outsiders assume is that Sprint screwed up going with WiMax.

Wrong. It was actually a brilliant move.

WiMax was approved for rollout well ahead of LTE. WiMax is also easily convertible to LTE. So while the other carriers waited for LTE to get standardized somewhat and approved, Clearwire/Sprint began rolling out the infrastructure for a 4G network years ago. Clearwire has been testing LTE conversions over the last few months with outstanding results. In the next year or two, expect an announcement that Clearwire/Sprint will be fully switching over to LTE.

The thing that most people don't understand is that there aren't nearly the same differences between LTE and WiMax as compared to CDMA and GSM. The conversion to LTE will be software based for the most part.

Clearwire/Sprint got a head start on the build, got the publicity for being the first, successfully launched a flagship device in the Evo 4G that has garnered them some respect, and in a year or so, they'll convert over to LTE and still be ahead of AT&T and Verizon in (pseudo-) 4G (none of the early 4G's that we'll see are, well, true 4G) coverage and support.

http://mobile.engadget.com/2010/10/2...s-down-30mbps/

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2367429,00.asp

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...s_serious.html

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/clearw...imax-too/37682

http://newsroom.clearwire.com/phoeni...462&highlight=
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pwj View Post

Not sure what your point about Verizon is here.

Slower networking speeds + brilliant snarky ad campaigns = Everyone assumes they'll be the best.

Don't read too much into my comments, I'm merely pointing out that none of them have a lock on this, except maybe the marketing angle (which Verizon clearly does better than anyone else).