Apple's next-gen iPad rumored to have two cameras - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 146
    We could see two face-cameras. One in the portrait position and the other in the landscape position i.e. one in the center of the short side and one in the center of the long side.
  • Reply 22 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

... I've actually been trying for weeks to think what Apple could add to a new iPad that would make me want to upgrade. About all I can think of are the standard things like slimmer and lighter with more hard drive. ...

All I want is slimmer side bezels (like on the iPhone) so I can actually type on the thing, and a software preference to get the home screen to only slide sideways like the iPhone instead of doing gymnastic flips every time you touch the device.

I will probably upgrade just so I can take a Dremel to the old one and shave down those sides. It's so irritating how they get in the way and have no purpose other than making it a bit easier for "teh stupids" to manipulate the device. The additional knowledge that there is nothing but air inside those parts of the iPad makes it even more infuriating.
  • Reply 23 of 146
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Always wondered if someone could make a camera dongle for the thing. Plug it in to the connector port, and have two cameras on it. Sell them for $49 and you'd probably have a hard time keeping up with demand.
  • Reply 24 of 146
    The App that links your iPad with your iPhone via bluetooth to take pics is actually pretty good. I used it while on a family vacation and the photo's were decent. It would be handy if that handled videos as well. I think a majority of iPad owners probably also have iPhones and the app was only $5.
  • Reply 25 of 146
    Quote:

according to an unconfirmed rumor from an investment firm

Must be true then.
  • Reply 26 of 146
    ? Front FaceTime camera

? Faster A4 processor

? Retina Display

? SD card slot

? Larger capacity Flash HDs across the line

? Support for MULTIPLE USERS
  • Reply 27 of 146
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

The addition of the camera to iPad 2 is just to shut the critics up..

Typical Apple fanboi spin. These guys just can't bring themselves to admit that someone outside of Apple can have a good idea. And that Apple might actually implement those ideas. The fanbois spend their time rationalizing Apple's decisions while dismissing everyone else's feature requests. But when Apple changes their position, the fanbois change their story along with Apple and deny ever dismissing those feature requests. Or they try to spin it as "Apple was going to do it eventually". Or worse, "Apple did it just to shut people up".

Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.

Apple should not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Nobody cares about third party iPhone applications. Web apps are really SWEET.

Apple will not add GPS to the iPhone. Nobody cares about GPS on a phone.

Apple will not add copy and paste to the iPhone. Nobody cares about copy and paste.

Apple will not add multitasking to the iPhone. Nobody cares about multitasking.

Apple should not allow non-Apple dev tools for iPhone.

Apple will not make a tablet. Nobody cares about tablets.

Apple will never switch to Intel processors.
  • Reply 28 of 146
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Think Skype Folks, a ton of service folks use it. Facetime might be nice, but not if folks on PC's or some other computer can't video chat because of it. At least with Skype any one can video chat.

It's a great tool for those who want to talk to there children, grandkids, friends in far away places.

Skip

PS As for a front/rear camera. If this is for taking pictures, rumor has it, Nikon might be coming out with something called a camera, used just fro taking pictures.
  • Reply 29 of 146
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bibbler View Post

Wooo Hoo Steve!!! Ballmer is throwing chairs again cause MS is TOAST!!! Everyone who uses something without an Apple logo is a "looser"!!!

That would be... 'loser'.
  • Reply 30 of 146
    mark this news down under obvious!!
  • Reply 31 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

The addition of the camera to iPad 2 is just to shut the critics up..

I think it's for FaceTime. What better way for Apple to leverage FaceTime as a standard than to have ALL newer iOS devices to be able to use it?

I agree I really don't see a use for a rear-facing camera on a tablet, but that doesn't mean someone else wouldn't use it.
  • Reply 32 of 146
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bibbler View Post

OMG OMG OMG, this is revolutionary!! The iPad is going to get at least one, maybe two cameras!!!

I hope the rear camera is a revolutionary and magical .7 mp camera like the amazing iPod touch has!! At second though, maybe they should save the rear camera until the 2012 update, and in 2013 Steve could add an AMAZING 512 meg of RAM to it!!!

It's a game changer.... It's so SEXY and delicious looking. Doesn't everyone agree????? The hell with "clunky' and "crappy" netbooks that can do actual work - I like all of you want to spend my entire existence "surfing the web", "checking my email", "enjoying my photographs and music"!!!

Wooo Hoo Steve!!! Ballmer is throwing chairs again cause MS is TOAST!!! Everyone who uses something without an Apple logo is a "looser"!!!

It's fun to read this and then then read the actual thread (in which the responses range from "Sure, I guess, whatever" to "Why?") and wonder what's wrong with you.
  • Reply 33 of 146
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm still trying to figure out what mine is good for. As a couch computer it fails for me since 10 steps away is my iMac and it does everything, unlike iPad which only does some things, and most rather awkwardly at best.

Don't get out of the house much?

I for one would love an iPad and I have a MacBook Pro. While I can take my MacBook Pro out, it's a bit of an ordeal having to pack my bag and go out. If I had an iPad, just pick it up and I would be on my way to the nearest coffee shop.
  • Reply 34 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

I was under the impression that:

Apple left off the camera intentionally, to make the iPad a better product, given that it would show a view going up people's noses from a front-facing camera;

and

Apple left off any rear-facing camera intentionally, to make the iPad a better product, because people would look foolish holding up a big slate to take photos.

Do I remember correctly?

No, because they did not figure how to make it work the way they want, picky as they are, Apple designers of course.

Of course the competition think designing is not a synergy between form & function but adding accessory.

: Boy, Do they facilitate  work!

: He (certainly!) was joking!
  • Reply 35 of 146
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nkaul View Post

Other than retina display, which I think is very unlikely as it will increase the cost and not allow apple to price at 499 dollars, higher memory (128 gb) ; atleast 512 ram, better than VGA frontcamera ( 2mp for large 9.7 inch screen) and some software upgrade like " gestures" in safari would make me go for it.

How do you figure it would drive the price up? It didn't for the current iPhones.
  • Reply 36 of 146
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Typical Apple fanboi spin. These guys just can't bring themselves to admit that someone outside of Apple can have a good idea. And that Apple might actually implement those ideas. The fanbois spend their time rationalizing Apple's decisions while dismissing everyone else's feature requests. But when Apple changes their position, the fanbois change their story along with Apple and deny ever dismissing those feature requests. Or they try to spin it as "Apple was going to do it eventually". Or worse, "Apple did it just to shut people up".

Apple should not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Nobody cares about third party iPhone applications. Web apps are really SWEET.

Apple will not add copy and paste to the iPhone. Nobody cares about copy and paste.

Lost of people lamented the lack of a camera on the iPad. Others didn't care. If they add one some will be pleased, other will continue not to care. Same as every other item on the list.

When you snort snarling about "fanbois" it lets us know you don't really have anything to say.
  • Reply 37 of 146
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:

It seems like I've read that recently. Where was that again?

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...6&postcount=38

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...4&postcount=89

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...3&postcount=10

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...4&postcount=40
  • Reply 38 of 146
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    I wouldn't upgrade to an iPad with camera(s) either... which is why I'm holding out until at least a facetime camera is available.

I'd like to ask AppleInsider this: why put a 5 MP camera on the front side of an iPad or iPhone? Of course the high-resolution camera should be on the back side. It would look silly trying to compose a nice picture or movie (other than a self-portrait) using a frontside camera. These imagers are so inexpensive and so convenient, there's no reason not to include them, if only to have in a pinch.

What if production is 2.5 million units in the first quarter and the new model isn't announced until the end of the first quarter? What if Apple retains the previous model at a reduced price? Apple doesn't need to make many millions of iPads with camera(s) in the first quarter under either of these scenarios.
  • Reply 39 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

I've actually been trying for weeks to think what Apple could add to a new iPad that would make me want to upgrade.

Have you been an Apple fan long? They do a pretty good job of making you want the "next" thing regardless of the actual need.
  • Reply 40 of 146
    Quote:

Woh. What the hell is the matter with you? So someone makes a single statement that doesn't align with your POV on Apple and you automatically call them fanboy or fanboi or however the hell it's spelled? I don't even know what a fanboy is. I've said both positive and negative things about Apple. Dude I was just saying something. You didn't need write a thesis.