Apple's next-gen iPad rumored to have two cameras - report

Comments

• Reply 61 of 146
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Ouch. A one-trick pony has been outed!

One trick pony added to my ignore list.

As for the cameras, I use my iPad all the time and haven't once wanted a camera, front or back. Plus, i've got an iPhone in my pocket every second that i'm using the iPad. Given my experience with facetime on the iphone, it seems necessary to hold the phone much higher and more vertically oriented than people do normally. With a phone, this is uncomfortable but at least somewhat reasonable. With an iPad, not so much.

Facetime on an iPad will more like underside-of-chin-and-nose-hair-time.

With that said, if the cameras are cheap enough, they are a why-not feature. People think they want the cameras. So it probably makes business sense to add them even if they'll go unused. That is, if they're cheap enough to be a why-not feature.
  • Reply 62 of 146
    steve-jsteve-j Posts: 320member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

No, because they did not figure how to make it work the way they want, picky as they are, Apple designers of course.

That might be. Just saying, it isn't what the consensus seemed to be after the iPad was announced sans cameras. I could be mis-remembering.
  • Reply 63 of 146
    Apple "plans" to make only 2.5 million units in the quarter:

This isn't surprising. If they release the new model part way through the quarter then they won't have an opportunity to sell 4 million + of them. The quarter will be split between new and old models.
  • Reply 64 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Typical Apple fanboi spin. These guys just can't bring themselves to admit that someone outside of Apple can have a good idea. And that Apple might actually implement those ideas. The fanbois spend their time ...

Yeah, blah blah blah etc. ... indeed. The minute you rage against "fanboys" (a "fanboi" is actually a girl BTW), you lose all credibility. You are also just making crap up here.

Of this list:

Quote:

Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.

Apple should not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Nobody cares about third party iPhone applications. Web apps are really SWEET.

Apple will not add GPS to the iPhone. Nobody cares about GPS on a phone.

Apple will not add copy and paste to the iPhone. Nobody cares about copy and paste.

Apple will not add multitasking to the iPhone. Nobody cares about multitasking.

Apple should not allow non-Apple dev tools for iPhone.

Apple will not make a tablet. Nobody cares about tablets.

Apple will never switch to Intel processors.

Only the first item is actually a true statement that anyone at Apple has ever made, most of the rest of them you just made up or got from someone else who "heard it somewhere."

Steve Jobs is famous for saying the first one, the reversal on "non-Apple development tools" is debatable, and the rest are purest fantasy on your part.
  • Reply 65 of 146
    Granted "a given," but these comments seem dismissive and downright harsh towards AI!

I think it's unrealistic to expect that every article has to be ground breaking. I personally enjoy the interaction these, say, secondary articles generate....I enjoy hearing positive comments about what Apple may or may not include in the next gen of their products.

I can get all the derisive, dismissive comments at home from my GF. I come here to AI to get "away" from that! I've got a bitchy GF, I don't really want to hear bitchy comments from guys, too! Just Say'n, guys.

Anyway...unlike Apple to produce a new iteration of anything without a plethora of new features...In addition to the cameras...most likely it will be thinner, lighter, with better battery power and at least one improvement that nobody but Jobs and his team of PHD's have thought about.

I would like to see the 30pin connector also on the side so you can position the keyboard/stand horizontally. Also, the cameras. I just used FaceTime on my iPhone 4 (Arizona) with my daughter on her MBP in St. Maarten. And it was so superior to skype. Especially when I switched to the front facing camera to show her what our stupid cat was doing! Brilliant! Err, not the cat (far from it), I mean Apple is "brilliant!"
  • Reply 66 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

I was under the impression that:

Apple left off the camera intentionally, to make the iPad a better product, given that it would show a view going up people's noses from a front-facing camera;

and

Apple left off any rear-facing camera intentionally, to make the iPad a better product, because people would look foolish holding up a big slate to take photos.

Do I remember correctly?

It will be interesting to see where the camera is positioned. An iPhone or iPod touch is small & people don't really notice much difference when the phone is held vertical or horizontal. With something as big as an iPad it will be more obvious that they aren't staring straight into the camera. If Apple puts it so that it would be on top when held horizontally then when run full screen from iPad to Mac (or vice versa) everything would look great. I fear though that Jobs will put it on what would be top when held vertically because they wouldn't want your hand or other covering the camera when held vertically.

Personally I think they should move home button to the side so natural way to hold it is horizontal, most people hold it that way anyway except maybe when reading books.

On a separate note, I don't think you can call FaceTime an open standard until it's actually released as such, until then it remains proprietary to Apple.
  • Reply 67 of 146
    Quote:

I was under the impression that:

Apple left off the camera intentionally, to make the iPad a better product, given that it would show a view going up people's noses from a front-facing camera;

and

Apple left off any rear-facing camera intentionally, to make the iPad a better product, because people would look foolish holding up a big slate to take photos.

Do I remember correctly?

Exactly. You are trying to be ironic but you are unintentionally right, they did all that, because they hadn't developed a feature such as facetime that would start making sense of two cameras. Unlike others apple doesn't just pile on hardware feature on top of the other just cause they can, they do it when it makes sense to, when the software is there to take advantage of these. So, lol, sorry, better luck next time on taking the piss.

Quote:

Typical Apple fanboi spin. These guys just can't bring themselves to admit that someone outside of Apple can have a good idea. And that Apple might actually implement those ideas. The fanbois spend their time rationalizing Apple's decisions while dismissing everyone else's feature requests. But when Apple changes their position, the fanbois change their story along with Apple and deny ever dismissing those feature requests. Or they try to spin it as "Apple was going to do it eventually". Or worse, "Apple did it just to shut people up".

Apple will not make a video iPod. Nobody wants to watch video on an iPod.

Apple should not allow third parties to create native iPhone applications. Nobody cares about third party iPhone applications. Web apps are really SWEET.

Apple will not add GPS to the iPhone. Nobody cares about GPS on a phone.

Apple will not add copy and paste to the iPhone. Nobody cares about copy and paste.

Apple will not add multitasking to the iPhone. Nobody cares about multitasking.

Apple should not allow non-Apple dev tools for iPhone.

Apple will not make a tablet. Nobody cares about tablets.

Apple will never switch to Intel processors.

Nominate these two for awards in terms of rubbish posts of the thread. "Apple will never make a tablet"...sure that's what every apple aficionado said, they weren't like every third month of every year since they cancelled the newton talking and alluding to rumors that they would make a tablet at any moment...

The only one actually mentioned by Steve jobs btw was about ipod video, so what? At that point he'd thought that wouldn't work. Unlike most every other ceo like the horrid Schmidt (and did you hear about his new one? when asked on cnn what people should do if they dislike google street view monitoring their properties he said "they should move", somebody put a lid on this guy...) or that cretin Ballmer, Jobs isn't embarrassing himself every other month or so with his predictions or opinions. So he was wrong on that one, who the hell cares? Everyone knows that we are wrong in tons of things in the course of our lives, so what if he missed the mark in one out of the thousands of issues he has touched upon in the tech world? I am sure this wasn't his only nor will it be his last mistake.
  • Reply 68 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I'm still trying to figure out what mine is good for. As a couch computer it fails for me since 10 steps away is my iMac and it does everything, unlike iPad which only does some things, and most rather awkwardly at best.

Sounds like you should have analyzed your needs before you bought it.
  • Reply 69 of 146
    tnsftnsf Posts: 203member
    In related news, Apples next iPad is rumoured to have a touch screen.
  • Reply 70 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I don't believe that any official Apple spokesperson or Steve Jobs made such claims!

Do you have a citation?

Hey, this is AppleInsider... "where dreams, fantasies and Apple rumors all come true."
  • Reply 71 of 146
    Here's another overly obvious rumor - the sun will rise again tomorrow. Thanks AI for telling us something that is a 99.8% foregone conclusion.
  • Reply 72 of 146
    They will both be front facing. Apple will announce FaceTime 3D.

:-)
  • Reply 73 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

They will both be front facing. Apple will announce FaceTime 3D.

:-)

Unlikely, but it would be cool.
  • Reply 74 of 146
    Quote:

I'm still trying to figure out what mine is good for. As a couch computer it fails for me since 10 steps away is my iMac and it does everything, unlike iPad which only does some things, and most rather awkwardly at best.

I've been trying one out for the last week and find it's just too heavy to hold for any reasonable length of time. Setting it down invariably causes the content to rotate. Steve's insistence on using the side switch for mute in iOS 4.2 has me convinced that he himself never uses an iPad.

Earlier this year my wife and I looked at getting an iPad as a couch companion, but chose to get a used MacBook instead. The MacBook cost less, does more and sits nicely on your lap with the screen at a good viewing angle.

For me to buy an iPad 2 it would have to be half the weight of the current one and that isn't going to happen without bending some of the laws of physics.
  • Reply 75 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

No, that's pretty much 99.99% Appl3 h8er speak. (See how I did that, I spelled it funny, ergo it's kewl.) Almost every time an Apple product is referred to as "sexy" it's by someone who troll's Apple fan sites complaning about people who appreciate Apple products. As in "you loosers only like the MacBook Air because it's 'sexy.'" To which most of the responses are along the lines of "although it is attractive, the main appeal to me is that it's lightweight and runs the OS I prefer and which allows me to be more productive."

In other words, go away troll.

haha, nice post, i totally lol'd

lots of trolls out recently, and very emotional. perhaps some people are upset that a certain company's revenue was handily surpassed by apple recently... next up: net profit, along with my shares of AAPL
  • Reply 76 of 146
    Quote:

How about a Retina Display?

That's another good idea. Not sure I'd upgrade based on that alone but combined with a slimmer, lighter iPad with a larger HD - yes.

Quote:

Funny. I'm finding that I'm barely using my iMac at all since getting the iPad. All I use the iMac for these days is ripping an occasional disc and synching my iDevices on a regular basis. If it weren't for the fact you need iTunes to sync/backup everything on your iDevices, I'd have little reason to have an iMac at all.
  • Reply 77 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trainwrecka View Post

Have you been an Apple fan long? They do a pretty good job of making you want the "next" thing regardless of the actual need.

That would be why I used the word "want" instead of "need." I certainly didn't need an iPad when it was announced, but man oh man how I wanted one. Now that I've been using it since April, I'm finding how much more I prefer it to my iMac.

I'm just seeing what Apple can add to the iPad that would make me want to upgrade. Time will tell, but camera's aren't going to entice me.
  • Reply 78 of 146
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    It's funny because, at this point, Apple haters are largely talking to each other, breaking themselves up with their hilarious burlesques of poor, clueless, Jobs worshipping Apple people.

Go to pretty much Apple discussion, on an Apple centric site or otherwise, and you'll see the same pattern: a pretty lively debate about what features Apple ought to or should have included, the relative utility of those features, descriptions of machines that Apple must make right now or risk being Doomed™, expressions of incredulity that a new software release still doesn't address a long standing gripe, expressions of not having that gripe, etc.

And then there's those "But my master Jobs said it was all good so there can't be anything to discuss because Apple never does anything wrong and everything good is from Apple always" posts that stick out like a sore thumb. This thread being a case in point.

At this point I'm starting to suspect that a steady diet of Apple resentment leads to brain damage.
  • Reply 79 of 146
    envirogenvirog Posts: 188member
    Just do it!
  • Reply 80 of 146
    i think camera card slot would be a great addition but they need to make sure it works for professional photographers. my friend's nikon wouldn't sync with my ipad. i think an ipad would be a great professional photographer's sidekick if they could upload big camera files with ease.

also a retina display (or approaching RD resolution) wouldn't be a bad thing.

i would consider adding Infrared and an app so the ipad could work with any tv as a remote!

software tweaks recommendations:

1) the ability to create new photo folders on the fly.

2) gray out the app icons that require an internet connection when you're not on wifi or out of 3G range. if i'm away from wifi then 70% of my apps are temporarily just cluttter!

3) i would explore some UI tweeks where the user had the option to arrange some of the apps in stacks, wheels or spheres... rather the ios 4 app folders. i don't think that's the best UI solution for a 9.7 inch screen.

that's all for now steve.