Apple's next-gen iPad rumored to have two cameras - report

Comments

• Reply 101 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

How do you figure it would drive the price up? It didn't for the current iPhones.

Retina display on a 3.5 inch screen and on a 9.7 inch screen are two different things. Same pixelation on a 300% bigger screen is prohibitively expensive right now( remember screen size is measured diagonally, and even a small increase actually corresponds to much higher real estate, for example 9.7 inch iPad total screen size is 45% more than a 7inch)

I assume apple will increase the screen res somewhat but not to anything near retina display until the prices fall rapidly over next couple of years at least.
  • Reply 102 of 146
    steve-jsteve-j Posts: 320member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Sounds like you should have analyzed your needs before you bought it.

Nobody "needs" an iPad.
  • Reply 103 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Oh, the irony. Why oh why do you all keep on buying Apple products if you hate them so much...???

I don't think he criticized the products. Instead, he seemed to be talking about the company which makes them.
  • Reply 104 of 146
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    It clear what he means by "needs" in this case. No one literally "needs" anything but food, water and shelter. When you walk into a store and the shopkeeper says "What do you need today" do you stare him down and say "I don't need anything, you fool!"

You know, I bet you do.
  • Reply 105 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buckeye in Fla View Post

I thought about why would Apple designers think that anyone would want to use an iPad as a camera. I know the front facing one is obvious but a rear facing one? How awkward. But it dawned on me and it was already mentioned: bar code scanning.

Brian

Ever use a 2D camera to look at a bar code? It is difficult, to say the least. Real scanners use multiple laser beams and take the shaky, mis-oriented position of the image into account.

2D bar code readers are not very good. It is a hit or miss proposition, at best. If you tried to do it every time you needed to scan something, it would be horrible.
  • Reply 106 of 146
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bibbler View Post

...I like Apple products and that's why I use them, but the Mac mini a a $399 computer and the new 11" Air is a 400 dollar netbook.

What exactly is the features of the OS that allow you to be more productive? None. Exactly the same as MS, Android, Linux, or any other OS. It's an operating system for Christ's sake. It's not "magical" or "delicious", it's just an operating system.

Back to the point. The iPad is crippled in it's current form. It needs a front facing camera at the very least, it need a gig of RAM, it need to be able to run programs developers create without Steve Jobs' approval, and it needs to be able to view the entire internet.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

I don't think he criticized the products. Instead, he seemed to be talking about the company which makes them.

See above.
  • Reply 107 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buckeye in Fla View Post

As long as a device is programmable, there will be someone who creates an application which was never originally intended and maybe extend functionality.

Brian

The problem is, those kind of apps get curated.
  • Reply 108 of 146
    Quote:

The problem is, those kind of apps get curated.

And what evidence do you have of this? What kind of apps are you talking about? What benefits and functions do they have?
  • Reply 109 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bibbler View Post

Of course, that means little to you, doesn't it? It's just so magical, elegant, and sexy!!

The Macbook Mini 11 is elegant and sexy. The iPad is kind of ugly with that wide bezel.

I'd love to have the Mini. The iPad disappointed me greatly.
  • Reply 110 of 146
    Quote:

The Macbook Mini 11 is elegant and sexy. The iPad is kind of ugly with that wide bezel.

I'd love to have the Mini. The iPad disappointed me greatly.

• Reply 111 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wil View Post

Bibbler, when I buy any electronic product especially an Apple product, the selling point is usability and battery life especially in regards to the iDevices. I rather have a supposedly cripple device I can work with for 6-8 hrs of heavy use rather than a beef up super Tablet with all the bell and whistles of a desktop computer and a battery life of 3 hours or less especially with intense use.

You have a very unusual usage pattern.

Most people use such devices on their couch, with the power supply at hand. Most people do not stay glued to their screen for more than several hours. The extended battery life is great, but not necessary, and in your estimation, has caused Apple to make it a weaker device overall.

I would prefer a device with more capabilities, even if the battery life allowed only 2 or 3 sessions between charges. I'd just plug it in before going to bed, and it would be all set for the next day's use.

IMO, continuous, all day, every day use of an iPad is an extremely unusual requirement, and a vanishingly small usage pattern for the device in today's world.
  • Reply 112 of 146
    Quote:

You have a very unusual usage pattern.

Most people use such devices on their couch, with the power supply at hand. Most people do not stay glued to their screen for more than several hours. The extended battery life is great, but not necessary, and in your estimation, has caused Apple to make it a weaker device overall.

I would prefer a device with more capabilities, even if the battery life allowed only 2 or 3 sessions between charges. I'd just plug it in before going to bed, and it would be all set for the next day's use.

IMO, continuous, all day, every day use of an iPad is an extremely unusual requirement, and a vanishingly small usage pattern for the device in today's world.

I don't think the pattern of usage is unusual. What is so liberating about the iPad, to me, is the days of usage (say, a few hours each day in total) without having to charge.

On the couch, I don't have to reach and dig to connect to a power source plus the cables and all that. In bed, again, no worries. At work, just pick up and go as and where I need it.

When you say "a vanishingly small usage pattern for the device in today's world" are you saying people are using their iPad less and less, hinting it is getting less popular?
  • Reply 113 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nkaul View Post

Retina display on a 3.5 inch screen and on a 9.7 inch screen are two different things. Same pixelation on a 300% bigger screen is prohibitively expensive right now( remember screen size is measured diagonally, and even a small increase actually corresponds to much higher real estate, for example 9.7 inch iPad total screen size is 45% more than a 7inch)

I assume apple will increase the screen res somewhat but not to anything near retina display until the prices fall rapidly over next couple of years at least.

Am I correct that Apple software cannot accommodate different screen resolutions? That the software needs to be written specifically for a certain resolution?

I get that impression, but I am not a developer.

If I am correct, then how will Apple change the screen resolution of the iPad without further fragmenting iOS?
  • Reply 114 of 146
    Quote:

Am I correct that Apple software cannot accommodate different screen resolutions? That the software needs to be written specifically for a certain resolution?

I get that impression, but I am not a developer.

If I am correct, then how will Apple change the screen resolution of the iPad without further fragmenting iOS?

And what horrors would this alleged further "fragmentation" cause? You seem to like that word.
  • Reply 115 of 146
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

It clear what he means by "needs" in this case. No one literally "needs" anything but food, water and shelter. When you walk into a store and the shopkeeper says "What do you need today" do you stare him down and say "I don't need anything, you fool!"

You know, I bet you do.

That is one definition of "need". It is neither the only definition, nor the definition I had in mind.

But thanks for the insults.
  • Reply 116 of 146
    Quote:

That is one definition of "need". It is neither the only definition, nor the definition I had in mind.

So what do you define as "need" when you say "nobody needs an iPad"? What was it that you had in mind when using the word "need"?
  • Reply 117 of 146
    Quote:

See above.

You are correct. I was not.
  • Reply 118 of 146
    Quote:

And what evidence do you have of this? What kind of apps are you talking about? What benefits and functions do they have?

Google Voice came to mind immediately. I'd have to think to come up with a complete list.

I'll leave the question of benefits and functions of Google Voice as an exercise for the reader.
  • Reply 119 of 146
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

What insult? If you have a problem with basically contextual cues to discern meaning it's unfortunate, but there you go.

When someone suggests that regretting purchasing an iPad is perhaps indicative of having not sufficiently considered one's needs, they clearly intend "need" to mean something like "what one had expected to do with it." When you respond that no one needs an iPad, you clearly mean "need" to mean "provide some essential functionality."

Ergo, problem with contextual cues etc.
  • Reply 120 of 146
    Quote:

When you say "a vanishingly small usage pattern for the device in today's world" are you saying people are using their iPad less and less, hinting it is getting less popular?

Nope. I'm saying that few people are away from a power source with their iPad for more than several hours at a crack. I'm saying that few people require more than several hours of usage between charges.

I'm saying that those who truly require 8 or 10 hours of continuous use are unusual.

I'm generally literal in my choice of words. I had no intention of analyzing the overall popularity of the device. The device sells well. There is no real question in that regard, it is objective information.