Apple's iPhone tops US smartphone shipments, but Android devices take 44%

Comments

• Reply 21 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djmikeo View Post

The iPhone has never been part of a BOGO promotion.

Are you absolutely certain about that?
  • Reply 22 of 233
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Gads... I hope that bloody at&t exclusive ends soon.

i think the issues isn't AS MUCH about one provider as it is with one HANDSET. with Android, you can choose a 4.3" screen or a tiny screen, a slide-out keyboard or completely touchscreen.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

Android is a hollow imitator of the Windows business model.

how so? Windows was never open-source, free and dependent on ad revenue.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Well that's a very stupid generalization you made. All the high-end Android devices sell for the same contract price as the iPhone 4 and with more or less the exact same plan prices too.

again, CHOICE. High-End isn't the only place to find Android devices. the only "cheap" iPhone you can get is a year-old model, not a newer, smaller, less feature-packed model.

if Apple is going to attempt to keep pace with Android, it's going to take more than multiple carriers, it's going to take an iPhone Nano, and possibly a third model as well. CHOICE.
  • Reply 23 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

Are you absolutely certain about that?

Android won, iOS lost. I think your work here is done.

EDIT: BTW VLC is available now on iPhone. You were mentioning you couldn't try it out previously since it was only available on iPad in the "fragmented" iOS ecosystem.

The best part? It's just one file, that runs on iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.
    The reviews are quite mixed though.
  • Reply 24 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

Again, CHOICE. High-End isn't the only place to find Android devices. the only "cheap" iPhone you can get is a year-old model, not a newer, smaller, less feature-packed model.

if Apple is going to attempt to keep pace with Android, it's going to take more than multiple carriers, it's going to take an iPhone Nano, and possibly a third model as well. CHOICE.

Agreed... Why are we expecting ONE company to "defeat" <all the rest of the phone manufacturers in the world>?

In any case, US numbers are interesting, but it is important to see the GLOBAL figures.
  • Reply 25 of 233
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    Quote:

Which standards are you talking about?

What standards did M$ have in the computer world that are tighter than Google's looser standards?

What standards?

That little windows sticker that comes on PCs isn't there just for decoration.
  • Reply 26 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shaun, UK View Post

There are so many different Android phones available versus 2 iPhone models, it's inevitable that Android will dominate the market share numbers.

I don't think that makes any sense.

RIM, for example, has many different phones, but they do not dominate.

There are scads of different Symbian smartphones, but they do not dominate.

I see no correlation between the variety of handsets on an OS and the dominance of the OS. Indeed, iOS once dominated despite its lack of hardware variety.

Instead, I think that Android's dominance of the smartphone market is for other reasons, including, but not limited to, the fact that most people like it better than the other OS choices.
  • Reply 27 of 233
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:

If this trend continues, it is likely that many devs will switch from iOS to Android. It seems that Android will swamp iOS soon.

Congratulations! 100 posts in your 1st week. (How very 'Appl'ish!)

Your Prize
  • Reply 28 of 233
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,258member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

how so? Windows was never open-source, free and dependent on ad revenue.

Exactly -- that what makes Android a hollow imitator. It's trying to be a "standard", but it's a standard being set by a company unwilling to do the hard work necessary to support a standard. Windows is a product. Android is a free t-shirt with a logo on it.
  • Reply 29 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

EDIT: BTW VLC is available now on iPhone. You were mentioning you couldn't try it out previously since it was only available on iPad in the "fragmented" iOS ecosystem.

The best part? It's just one file, that runs on iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.
    The reviews are quite mixed though.

Well people should grab the VLC app before it gets yanked out of the App Store anytime now..
  • Reply 30 of 233
    Why iOS vs. Android won't be a repeat of Mac vs. Windows

1. While Android is "open" it is still very controlled by the carrier not Google.

2. While there are lots of phones shipping with the Android OS, almost every manufacturer puts their own GUI on it. This leads to confusion in the marketplace.

3. Apple will be going to Verizon and Android will have to compete where it previously didn't have to.

4. Apple also has a media player and tablet ecosystem that feed into their phone market. Android doesn't have anything like it and it will be a while before it does.

5. Apple has a well established digital distribution platform for music, media, apps and books. Apple pioneered this and set he bar very high.

6. Apple sells digital content in many more countries than Google.

7. Google has to compete with other app stores such as Amazon's.

8. Apple has decades of experience in OS development, testing, deployment, updating etc. Google is just learning and having a difficult time with their fragment OS strategy.

9. Android will have to compete with Chrome OS. Internally Google is split.

10. Steve Jobs.
  • Reply 31 of 233
    franckfranck Posts: 135member
    Quote:

You forgot "Apple is doomed !!1!!1!"
  • Reply 32 of 233
    Quote:

I see no correlation between the variety of handsets on an OS and the dominance of the OS. Indeed, iOS once dominated despite its lack of hardware variety.

Instead, I think that Android's dominance of the smartphone market is for other reasons, including, but not limited to, the fact that most people like it better than the other OS choices.

Just throwing this one out there though...

Android requires almost zero R*D for any handset manufacturer, definitely zero licensing costs and so on.

That could be a reason, ie. there are simply more Android smartphones available on the market than non-Android smartphones.

I don't think iOS really "dominated" until post-iPhone 3GS launch when unit numbers went significantly higher.
  • Reply 33 of 233
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Gads... I hope that bloody at&t exclusive ends soon. Apple's desire for a secure return with at&t has ceded so much ground to Android, it's like the desktop wars all over again with Android playing the part of Windows. Fulfill the pent-up demand for the iPhone, Apple!

Well, it's like the desktop wars all over again, but there will be two players like Microsoft, and one of them will be Microsoft. I'd be willing to predict that within 2 years in the market Microsoft will have a bigger market-share than Google in the Smartphone business. And RIM will be fucked. Microsoft has the better OS of the two, and a lot of power behind them. I don't see their defragmentation being half as bad as Google's either.

I see Apple breaking away from exclusivity in different markets around the world and bringing out a better iPhone 5, which will stand to them. I also see them cutting costs a little on unlocked phone sales in the markets where they offer the iPhone unlocked, while adding more value to the product. Apple's share is only going to grow as far as I'm concerned. And when they redesign the antenna I can see that helping the image of the iPhone, a lot.
  • Reply 34 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Well people should grab the VLC app before it gets yanked out of the App Store anytime now..

Ironically, it will probably not be because of Apple (though people will jump on that bandwagon pretty fast)...

http://www.cultofmac.com/grab-vlc-fo...e-pulled/67128

It seems it should not have been submitted by the developer in the first place because of open source licensing etc etc blah blah blah freedom for all yay!!!
  • Reply 35 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Franck View Post

You forgot "Apple is doomed !!1!!1!"

Thank you. It took a while for someone to post it...!
  • Reply 36 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Congratulations! 100 posts in your 1st week. (How very 'Appl'ish!)

Your Prize

Quote:

Android is winning because if you walk into a Verizon store your choices are:

Android, Android, Android, Android, Android, RIM.

Soon Android will have to actually compete with the iPhone on it's home turf.
  • Reply 37 of 233
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 38 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Why iOS vs. Android won't be a repeat of Mac vs. Windows

6. Apple sells digital content in many more countries than Google.

I only learned recently of how limited the Android Marketplace is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Android_Market
  • Reply 39 of 233
    Quote:

Windows had less fragmentation. You had mainly Windows 3.1, 95, 98, 2000, XP, Vista, 7.

So that's about 7 versions over, what, 2 decades? How many Android versions do we have in the space of a few years?

You forget many, many versions of Windows.

How about 3.11, which IIRC, was Windows for Workgroups? How about the "Multimedia extensions" that may or may not have been present on your install disk?

How about all the differerent hardware, 386s and 486s and add-on cards and LAN cards and sound cards and video cards?

You don't even mention Windows NT, the great great grand daddy of all the current stuff.

But the point is that fragmentation is an issue with all OSs, including iOS, and that it can be dealt with. It
  • Reply 40 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's iPhone was the best-selling smartphone in the third quarter of 2010, taking 26.2 percent of the market, but the wide variety of handsets running Google's Android represented a commanding 43.6 percent. ...

Another detailed report proving that iPhone is the most popular smartphone by far, yet reported by almost every major news outlet as ... "Android still on top."

- iPhone is and has been since it's debut, the most popular smartphone in decades, possibly ever.

- iOS as a platform, is more popular than Android and outsells it.

Yet somehow "Android wins." ?!?