Apple's iPhone tops US smartphone shipments, but Android devices take 44%

Comments

• Reply 41 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anotherperson View Post

I believe that people who buy Android phones instead of iPhones overwhelmingly do so for only two reasons:

1. In the USA, they want to use Verizon instead of AT&T

2. They can't afford an iPhone and, generally speaking, have a very small amount of disposable income.

Number 2 makes no sense to me in that the phones are all identically priced where I live. It's roughly 200 bucks for a smartphone from all the carriers in my area whether you pick Android or iPhone.
  • Reply 42 of 233
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 43 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Android won, iOS lost. I think your work here is done.

EDIT: BTW VLC is available now on iPhone. You were mentioning you couldn't try it out previously since it was only available on iPad in the "fragmented" iOS ecosystem.

The best part? It's just one file, that runs on iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.
    The reviews are quite mixed though.

Good news about VLC. But there's more.

Apple adds DRM to the file. However, that violates the open source license in some manner (I'd have to reread to get the details precisely correct).

So it looks like it will get pulled again, if Apple gets flack for violating the licensing terms.

Here's an article: VLC Vs. Apple over iTunes licence infringement claims

http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=07B...11C3229E1C701C

Never a dull moment around here!
  • Reply 44 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

That little windows sticker that comes on PCs isn't there just for decoration.

Obviously.

What standards of Android are looser than the Windows standards?
  • Reply 45 of 233
    What is the ASP of a typical Android handset?
  • Reply 46 of 233
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

Android's global market share is still in single digits outside the US. In fact, with the exception of China at 13%, its share is only 1 or 2% in every other country. (China suffers from the same problem as the US market in only having one carrier with the phone. And even then it has been officially sold for only about a year at that.)

Android continues to do well in the US ONLY because of the AT&T exclusive deal, and because the other carriers are giving Android devices away for free! (Just as they are with RIM devices.) The problem in the US is that the commodity company (the carriers), are giving away the added value product (smartphones) for free thus driving the entire market to commodity status, while Apple continues to sweep up the majority of the profit.

Where on earth do you get your information from?

Android stats for Europe for Q2 2010 was 15% marketshare, and growing fast, as in the USA. This despite many major countries having iPhone on all carriers e.g UK and France's non-lock policy.

Just been looking round a phone shop for a basic mobile (non-smartphone) for my youngest son.

Couldn't help noticing pay-as-you-go Android handsets £99. Cheapest iPhone 3GS £419. Of course Android will outsell as the smartphone market expands. downwards. But Apple will be doing very well holding 1/4 of the market. It's Nokia and Blackberry and MS who should be worried.
  • Reply 47 of 233
    Quote:

Android won, iOS lost. I think your work here is done.

EDIT: BTW VLC is available now on iPhone. You were mentioning you couldn't try it out previously since it was only available on iPad in the "fragmented" iOS ecosystem.

The best part? It's just one file, that runs on iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.
    The reviews are quite mixed though.

I removed my post because of duplication about it being pulled from the App Store by the developer.
  • Reply 48 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What is the ASP of a typical Android handset?

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I just saw that in the first nine months of FY2010 (ending Oct 2, 2010), Motorola had $5.4B in revenue from its 'Mobile Devices' segment, but the segment had an operating loss of $148M.

Granted, it includes their low-end stuff, but I don't see how they continue to be viable as a division unless they turn it around pretty quickly.
  • Reply 49 of 233
    Quote:

I don't think iOS really "dominated" until post-iPhone 3GS launch when unit numbers went significantly higher.

The 3GS was indeed the inflection point, IIRC.

If you don't like "dominate", then pick another description of unrivaled success.

And is anybody relieved at this news? Apple has always been the underdog that people love to root for. Those people thought different. But with Apple as a mainstream brand, how does that work?

Now iPhone buyers again think different from most smartphone buyers. Some might breathe a sigh of relief that Apple might regain its iconic counter-cultural status, rather than being the choice of the great unwashed ignorant hordes. Them kind got no taste.
  • Reply 50 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How much will that account for? Most sales are outside the US, there are a fair number that would have jumped from the other three carriers to AT&T for the iPhone already, and there are some that won?t go with the iPhone no matter what carrier they are on because of some irrational reason.

To me, it seems like those that are waiting for the iPhone to be on T-Mobile, Sprint, and Verizon are fairly low for the longterm sales of the device worldwide. I?m sure there will be a spike next year when the carrier(s) is announced, but I still expect Android-based handsets to outsell iOS-based handsets. There are just way too many of them on the market taking way too many price points. The only surprising thing to me is why Android isn?t much farther ahead at this point.

Actually, when I was in Germany, the Android platform was quite irrelevant in the marketplace. All of the wireless stores were pitching iPhone, Symbian, and Blackberry. There was very little space for Android. Android seems to have taken off in North America, but hasn't quite taken off elsewhere in the world.

I also laugh at the comment "US - the worlds largest smartphone market", it may have the largest percentage of Smartphone's in use , but I would hardly call it the worlds largest potential market...
  • Reply 51 of 233
    Quote:

Sorry to reply to my own post...

I didn't know you could do that! I'll have to make a note of that for future reference. I love taking to myself.
  • Reply 52 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

And is anybody relieved at this news? Apple has always been the underdog that people love to root for. Those people thought different. But with Apple as a mainstream brand, how does that work?

Now iPhone buyers again think different from most smartphone buyers. Some might breathe a sigh of relief that Apple might regain its iconic counter-cultural status, rather than being the choice of the great unwashed ignorant hordes. Them kind got no taste.

I honestly am relieved. Like I said, maybe we'll be harassed less by the Fandroids and I'll see less of iPhone being everywhere just because it's the cool hip thing to do. Let them eat Android! Er... I mean, cake! Er... Wait.

Edit: It's not whether Apple is a mainstream brand or not. The problem is there is too much demand for their products that cannot be fulfilled and supported in a reasonable fashion, particularly in countries outside the US and key European countries. Here in Malaysia, sure it may be a gawdforsaken blip on the equator (I'm exaggerating here, of course)... but still no iPad! And it's going to be a year since it was announced! Macs are around in good number, but no iPad, and still, very limited availability of iPhone 4 despite the official launch several weeks ago.

Edit2: The other issue is that because Apple is so popular, it tends to attract dealers and middlemen (service providers, resellers, trainers, accessory-makers etc. particularly outside the US) which are in it for the quick buck. They want to just take the profits and run, rather than build a strong ecosystem and provide comprehensive solutions for Apple users, cultivate a developer community, and particularly, invest time and effort in the education market etc.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

I don't know about Windows being "better", but it does have more users.

With Android and iPhone the differences seem much less severe than between Mac and Windows.

I still haven't gotten a smart phone (I know, sometimes I'm a total luddite), and for the first time in a long time I'm not yet certain I'll be getting an Apple product. The iPhone has a lot going for them, but I gotta say some of the Androids look pretty nice too.

Can I use an Android phone with my Mac?

I will say if you have a Mac already, don't bother with Android. Feel free to try it out, but when you do get an iPhone, you will probably regret the time spent with Android. Just my prediction. Admittedly I haven't spent more than five minutes each with several Android phones and tablets over the past year, but, there's nothing compelling in it beyond the first few seconds of Wow! Shiny!
  • Reply 53 of 233
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

[...] The numbers show a total of 9.1 million smartphones running Android from the Open Handset Alliance being shipped in the third quarter of 2010. That was ahead of the estimated 5.5 million iPhones sold in the three-month frame.

[...] Apple just had its best quarter ever, selling a record 14.1 million iPhones. That helped the company achieve 70 percent growth in profits to $4.31 billion.

iPhone sold 14.1 million worldwide. And Android???

Also, what about iOS versus Android, rather than just phones. And let's see what happens when iPhone is available on all carriers in the US.
  • Reply 54 of 233
    Quote:

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I just saw that in the first nine months of FY2010 (ending Oct 2, 2010), Motorola had $5.4B in revenue from its 'Mobile Devices' segment, but the segment had an operating loss of $148M.

Granted, it includes their low-end stuff, but I don't see how they continue to be viable as a division unless they turn it around pretty quickly.

But Android is winning. That's all that matters. Who cares about whether handset manufacturers are making any money.
  • Reply 55 of 233

Has anyone questioned this from the article

This shows Apple had 5.5 million iPhone sales

At the end of the article it states:

"Apple just had its best quarter ever, selling a record 14.1 million iPhones..."

Which is it?

• Reply 56 of 233
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

image: http://photos.appleinsidercdn.com/canalys-101101.jpg

"Apple just had its best quarter ever, selling a record 14.1 million iPhones..."

Which is it?

You need more coffee. The chart is for US sales.
  • Reply 57 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

Good news about VLC. But there's more.

Apple adds DRM to the file. However, that violates the open source license in some manner (I'd have to reread to get the details precisely correct).

So it looks like it will get pulled again, if Apple gets flack for violating the licensing terms.

Here's an article: VLC Vs. Apple over iTunes licence infringement claims

http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=07B...11C3229E1C701C

Never a dull moment around here!

It's no secret iOS apps have DRM and the VLC developers knew that yet they submitted it anyways.
  • Reply 58 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'd be willing to predict that within 2 years in the market Microsoft will have a bigger market-share than Google in the Smartphone business..

I have my doubts. There's a lot that people may not like, and it is not at all finished yet. It is missing basic stuff like multitasking.
  • Reply 59 of 233
    Quote:

[snip]

Admittedly I haven't spent more than five minutes each with several Android phones and tablets over the past year, but, there's nothing compelling in it beyond the first few seconds of Wow! Shiny!

So I guess you've never heard of the saying "don't judge a book by its cover"?
  • Reply 60 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Which is it?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You need more coffee. The chart is for US sales.

And... That is the best part of the whole "Apple is d00med!" thing.

Apple sold almost twice as many phones OUTSIDE the US than in the US. Sure, the US is a sizeable and important chunk, but it's significance should be seen in perspective.

Where are the global numbers for Android? That will be very interesting. Because that's what they talk about when both sides throw about the "activation numbers" of 200k or 300k or whatever.

Don't get me wrong, the US is Apple's backyard and stronghold, so it is still crucial. That's why Verizon in 2011 is I think virtually guaranteed. There's no way Apple would go another whole year of AT&T exclusivity, IMO.