Apple's iPhone tops US smartphone shipments, but Android devices take 44%

Comments

• Reply 61 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

So I guess you've never heard of the saying "don't judge a book by its cover"?

Well, I've flipped through several pages, had a read of a few paragraphs, and I'm not keen to buy the book or read further.

Maybe I'm missing out on the great Android revolution.

Ah well.
  • Reply 62 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

Android is winning because if you walk into a Verizon store your choices are:

Android, Android, Android, Android, Android, RIM.

Dunno about that. Verizon has well less than half the market: most customers do not walk into a Verizon Store, but instead, walk into some other cellstore. Still they buy Android.

And WRT Verizon, they also sell WebOS, Symbian and WinMo, along with lots of stuff that has some sort of Verizon dumbphone software.

So I'm not convinced that Verizon's lineup of phones is any sort of a complete explanation.
  • Reply 63 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

I have my doubts. There's a lot that people may not like, and it is not at all finished yet. It is missing basic stuff like multitasking.

Microsoft's approach with WP7 is a combination of Apple and Google approach. It's available on different handsets from different manufacturers but MS is putting a tighter grip and more say as far as requirements for WP7 to be in manufacturers hardware so it doesn't get out of hand and fragmented. The missing feature will come soon enough..
  • Reply 64 of 233
    dskdsk Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anotherperson View Post

I believe that people who buy Android phones instead of iPhones overwhelmingly do so for only two reasons:

1. In the USA, they want to use Verizon instead of AT&T

2. They can't afford an iPhone and, generally speaking, have a very small amount of disposable income.

That's not true, at least in my case (I'm in Europe). I can afford any phone I like, it's just that I prefer Android platform over Iphone.
  • Reply 65 of 233
    daveswdavesw Posts: 406member
    Vote for Steve as Fortunes's 2010 businessperson of the year!

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...oll/index.html
  • Reply 66 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Well, I've flipped through several pages, had a read of a few paragraphs, and I'm not keen to buy the book or read further.

Maybe I'm missing out on the great Android revolution.

Ah well.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to force you or anyone else into Android. I just think that everything deserves time to realize the full potential. There's a lot of cool things you can do to an Android phone through native apps alone. Even more if you decide to root it.
  • Reply 67 of 233
    Quote:

So I guess you've never heard of the saying "don't judge a book by its cover"?

Android's only hope of dominance is people "judging it by it's cover." It's only when you actually have one in your hand that you can see how clunky and poorly designed it is compared to an iPhone or iOS software. It's only when you look closely that you see the lack of smoothness and sense in the UI, it's only when you start to use it in depth that the wonky settings and general "Linuxy" aspects of it start to bite you in the bum.
  • Reply 68 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Another detailed report proving that iPhone is the most popular smartphone by far, yet reported by almost every major news outlet as ... "Android still on top."

- iPhone is and has been since it's debut, the most popular smartphone in decades, possibly ever.

- iOS as a platform, is more popular than Android and outsells it.

Yet somehow "Android wins." ?!?

You can look at it in any number of ways, as you mention.

The "somehow" way of looking at it that left you wondering is this: Currently, more people are choosing Android Smartphones than are choosing iOS Smartphones.

The other topics you mention are worth discussing, in their context, as well.
  • Reply 69 of 233
    Quote:

You can look at it in any number of ways, as you mention.

The "somehow" way of looking at it that left you wondering is this: Currently, more people are choosing Android Smartphones than are choosing iOS Smartphones.

The other topics you mention are worth discussing, in their context, as well.

There's another way we can look at it.

Yes, one could say more people are choosing Android Smartphones than iOS Smartphones.

But of the phones *available to choose from*, how many are available?

If there are 100 cans of Coke and 1000 cans of Pepsi, and people buy 60% of the Pepsi cans and 90% of the Coke cans, you could say "more people are choosing Pepsi".

Sheer numbers on the Android side, and inability to keep up with huge demand on the iPhone side has led to the Android lead. Sure, among other factors.
  • Reply 70 of 233
    OK, gotta sleep. Midnight in my timezone. Play nice now...
  • Reply 71 of 233
    Quote:

Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to force you or anyone else into Android. I just think that everything deserves time to realize the full potential. There's a lot of cool things you can do to an Android phone through native apps alone. Even more if you decide to root it.

No problem. Native apps on Android would be more relevant to me, I don't have time to do things like root it and so on. On iPhone and iPad I just jailbreak to get display out capability (full mirroring video out from the iPhone 4 and iPad using the Apple iPad Dock to VGA cable using the DisplayOut software through Cydia)
  • Reply 72 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Core2 View Post

Android seems to have taken off in North America, but hasn't quite taken off elsewhere in the world.

I

Here's some reality:

http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=1421013

Look at Table 2. Android outsells iOS on smartphones worldwide.
  • Reply 73 of 233
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    Old numbers.
  • Reply 74 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Where are the global numbers for Android? That will be very interesting.

Here's one source of global numbers for Android:

http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=1421013
  • Reply 75 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

It's radically different from the desktop wars. Apple never had the kind of marketshare with the Mac that it has with the iPhone, and Apple never had the kind of financial strength that it has now. Plus, Android is a hollow imitator of the Windows business model. Google is depending on (and ceding power to) their OEM partners much more heavily than MS ever did, which is going to lead to fragmentation and degradation of the Android brand.

DOnt kid yourself. Only those close to the tech see fragmentation. COnsumers looking for a deal will buy android and the sales prove it. The past is the past-whether Verizon or Apple is to blame is irrelevant. Apple needs to diversify to the other carriers or android will consume 75 percent of the market within two years. But with only one carrier that is already maxed out, Apple is doomed if they dont swallow their pride and release for all the major players. Android will still win but not by as much.
  • Reply 76 of 233
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Even if it does turn out to be exactly the same scenario as Windows vs. Mac, I know I'll probably continue using an iPhone just as I prefer OS X. It wouldn't hurt, however, to become proficient on Android as well just in case you need to use one once in a awhile. I browsed around on a friend's Android and it does seem foreign.
  • Reply 77 of 233
    Quote:

... The "somehow" way of looking at it that left you wondering is this: Currently, more people are choosing Android Smartphones than are choosing iOS Smartphones. ...

This would be putting a rather inaccurate "spin" on the data to look at it that way however.

The only rational "non-spin" way of looking at it is that Android phone *sales figures* in the US are highest right now. That doesn't equate necessarily to more consumers choosing Android phones.

Most comparisons you see here or on any tech site compare Apples and Oranges. They compare iPhone sales to sales of handsets running Android. This compares one phone with many multiple phones (unfair), and a phone available on one carrier, to a host of phones available on the same carrier as well as several other carriers (also unfair).

The only fair comparison is either one phone against another phone, or one "platform" or OS against another. On both metrics, the iPhone and iOS wins handily.

1) iPhone has always been the most popular smartphone, it "leads the pack" of smartphones, and is almost single-handedly responsible for the great surge in interest we have been seeing for smartphones and mobile OS's in general over the last few years.

2) iOS is the most popular of the smartphone/mobile OS's and both leads the pack again in terms of features and broad acceptance, as well as leading in sales in every country that it competes relative to Android devices.

Any rational analysis of the numbers puts Apple on top of the game, regardless of short term sales figures of Android devices in the USA. Android has not "won," and is not actually "winning" right now. The facts argue against that conclusion in almost every meaningful aspect.
  • Reply 78 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wurm5150 View Post

Microsoft's approach with WP7 is a combination of Apple and Google approach. It's available on different handsets from different manufacturers but MS is putting a tighter grip and more say as far as requirements for WP7 to be in manufacturers hardware so it doesn't get out of hand and fragmented. The missing feature will come soon enough..

That's another aspect that many people may dislike: M$ copied Apple's restrictions on software. Unless you buy the software from Microsoft, it cannot be installed. Just like Apple.

I don't like the thought of Apple and M$ being the only places where software is available. I think that others may also object.

Yes, the missing basics in WP7 may be added soon, but as of now, it is not really ready, IMO.
  • Reply 79 of 233
    cimcim Posts: 197member
    If you take Q4 shipments, then Apple is crushing Google. Why the hell did AppleInsider even post this irrelevant chart?
  • Reply 80 of 233
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Meh.. people analyze percentage like there is a meaning. If iPhones are left gathering dust in the Apple store then this statistic might have a meaning. Apple sold only what they can produce. Tell me how much more Apple can sell if they actually have no phones left to sell.