Europeans wake up an hour late as Apple fails to fix iPhone alarm clock bug

Comments

• Reply 61 of 81
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by t_k View Post

I think the lesson here should be obvious. It's time to stop this DST madness!

Exactly. It's failed miserably at saving energy - never mind the costs associated with screwups like this over some bone-headed artificial manipulation of time.
  • Reply 62 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Europe jumped the gun.

Actually, we changed it - not Europe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_...ht_saving_time
  • Reply 63 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Actually, we changed it - not Europe: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_...ht_saving_time

And thank God we did - the only thing that's stupid is "Standard Time" - wtf is the point in having it bright at 6AM in the morning when over half the nation doesn't even have to be ato work until 8 or 9? There has been study after study after study that killing afternoon sunlight has a profound effect on depression so why in the world have we not made DST standard time? You're giving up an hour of worthless sunlight for an hour of sunlight that actually has a profound effect. The only thing stupid about it is the fact that we revert back to standard time just as we need it most!
  • Reply 64 of 81

Assigning time-zones is, in itself, an artificial manipulation of time so that's little more than a pot and kettle argument.
  • Reply 65 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Assigning time-zones is, in itself, an artificial manipulation of time so that's little more than a pot and kettle argument.

Time zones may be an artificial construct, but they are one born from practicality. DST shares none of that. Furthermore, before DST, time zones were consistent. Now we are randomly changing the time periods within some time zones (but not all!) based on arbitrary and superficial arguments from whoever can convince whom to change things around on an apparent whim - much like the latest change that caused this problem.

Time zones and the problems of DST aren't the same at all...
  • Reply 66 of 81
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Steve Jobs to crowd: "Calm down, people, the problem is already fixed!"

Just don't set the alarm that way
  • Reply 67 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by knightlie View Post

Apple don't acknowledge bugs, no matter how small and stupid they are.

Yep, it is annoying all right. We have had that bug for ages in NZ. I have to use my BB for morning wake ups, which sucks. I don't like using that thing more than absolutely necessary.
  • Reply 68 of 81
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Yeah, it was supposed to "save energy" (which, ironically, would potentially drive up the unit costs paid to energy producers). In reality it had no net effect on energy usage except to waste billions of IT dollars in 2007 as everyone tried to recode applications and hardware for the change from the first Sunday in April/last Sunday in October to the second Sunday in March/first Sunday in November.

If they are going to monkey will this stuff, they ought to do what they did in WW2 which was to just make the DST apply year round, once and for all.
  • Reply 69 of 81
    toestoes Posts: 55member
    Quote:

Finally, some common sense!

BTW, in the US Daylight Savings Time goes back to "Standard Time" (i.e. normal, non-shifted time) on the first Sunday in November: next weekend. Europe jumped the gun.

But your point is well taken, "Fall Back" means you'd get an extra hour of sleep.

BTW, after implementing DST, Europe hasn't changed it, the US did (so we're just behind ... again ). I remember having to install patches on Windows Mobile devices when this happened a few years back. What a pain ... DST is one of the most moronic, annoying ideas to ever get approved.
  • Reply 70 of 81
    toestoes Posts: 55member
    I don't get to see sunlight morning or evening in the fall/winter. I am an Architect in a window-less office

Change your work hours, if you don't like the light conditions.

BTW: I heard somewhere that sleep deprivation can have anti-depressant effects. random thought ...
  • Reply 71 of 81
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by toes View Post

BTW, after implementing DST, Europe hasn't changed it, the US did (so we're just behind ... again ). I remember having to install patches on Windows Mobile devices when this happened a few years back. What a pain ... DST is one of the most moronic, annoying ideas to ever get approved.

Then tell your government to get rid of DST. I'm sure they'll sympathize with your distaste for applying patches once every decade or more.
  • Reply 72 of 81
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:

Yeah, it was supposed to "save energy" (which, ironically, would potentially drive up the unit costs paid to energy producers). In reality it had no net effect on energy usage except to waste billions of IT dollars in 2007 as everyone tried to recode applications and hardware for the change from the first Sunday in April/last Sunday in October to the second Sunday in March/first Sunday in November.

If they are going to monkey will this stuff, they ought to do what they did in WW2 which was to just make the DST apply year round, once and for all.

If it cost "billions of IT dollars" in 2007 to move the expiration of N. American DST by one week in 2007 then all of those IT departments should be fired for incompetence.
  • Reply 73 of 81
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by avdbauw View Post

How can anybody be an hour late? Since on sunday morning the clock was set back from 3 A.M. to 2 A.M. the alarm should go off an hour early if it did not adjust!

Yeah, that confused me too. Its as if they tried to fix it but over-did it.
  • Reply 74 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tasslehawf View Post

I'm in Austin, TX USA and mine went off an hour early this moning (iPhone 4) however, my wife's 3GS went off at the regular time!

Could be a firmware issue, maybe the issue only effects iPhone 4. Weird.
  • Reply 75 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Just don't set the alarm that way

That may not be as daft a suggestion as you think it is. Setting your alarm differently - ie so that it's NOT a repeating alarm seems to get around the problem.

My alarm was set for 7am, repeating every weekday, but it failed to go off until 8am. On Sunday, however, my alarm went off at 9am as it should. The only difference (apart from the time obviously!) was that Sunday's wasn't repeating whereas this morning's alarm was.
  • Reply 76 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I agree, end the madness. End the age-old practice of adjusting the clock!

I firmly oppose your position. I don't want the sun coming up at 4:15AM.

I believe jurisdictions in latitudes above 45° should change the clocks 4 times per year to take advantage of summer evenings while retaining "standard" time for winter so children can get to and from school in daylight.

I'd move forward one hour on the first weekend in March, another hour on the first weekend in May, move back one on the first weekend in September and another on the first weekend of November.

The fact that some people claim they can't handle a minor clock adjustment when their bodies already adjust to the changing light of seasons and weather and to different sleep/wake patterns 104 times per year (the Friday-Saturday and Sunday-Monday transitions) makes me think some people just like to complain.
  • Reply 77 of 81
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

I firmly oppose your position. I don't want the sun coming up at 4:15AM.

I believe jurisdictions in latitudes above 45° should change the clocks 4 times per year to take advantage of summer evenings while retaining "standard" time for winter so children can get to and from school in daylight.

I'd move forward one hour on the first weekend in March, another hour on the first weekend in May, move back one on the first weekend in September and another on the first weekend of November.

The fact that some people claim they can't handle a minor clock adjustment when their bodies already adjust to the changing light of seasons and weather and to different sleep/wake patterns 104 times per year (the Friday-Saturday and Sunday-Monday transitions) makes me think some people just like to complain.

+ 1. Definitely.
  • Reply 78 of 81
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by t_k View Post

I think the lesson here should be obvious. It's time to stop this DST madness!

ha ha. the lesson here is to wake up and stop believing that apple products fall from cupertino heaven without flaw....
  • Reply 79 of 81
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

If it cost "billions of IT dollars" in 2007 to move the expiration of N. American DST by one week in 2007 then all of those IT departments should be fired for incompetence.

WTF are you talking about? Hundreds of hours were spent by the company I work alone testing systems with mission time components. Repeated over thousands of other companies. Microsoft alone spent huge amounts of efforts on this -- and not completely successfully, either (cough, Exchange Server, cough, cough).
  • Reply 80 of 81
    wijgwijg Posts: 99member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

It was the railroads that necessitated the creation of "standard time". Prior to that it was often a practice for each locality to set their own time by solar noon.

Indeed. I think it's worth emphasizing that standard time was an invention of private corporations--that it arose organically, not by government fiat--and that it's useful.

Why should government be in the business of time, telling me quite literally when to rise and rest?

A big reason for DST these days is nothing practical. It's because of lobbyists. Sporting good and candy consortiums...