Apple's iPhone tops US smartphone shipments, but Android devices take 44%

Comments

• Reply 141 of 233
    I'd be more than glad to help Apple "eclipse" Android-based smartphone shipments....

if they (Apple) would make it available to the OTHER cell phone providers- users (who are waiting for it) here in the States - besides AT& T, Verizon (and 17 countries in Europe)!
  • Reply 142 of 233
    rindrind Posts: 66member
    Switched over to Verizon to try out the Droid X after using iPhone's for 2 years.

While there is a couple nice features i like from Android , In my usage iOS works best.

My Major compaint about Android is the Forced upgrade to 2.2 that caused problems with the device and apps having the be forcefully closed/

Really hoping there is a Verizon iPhone coming , Would cost to mucch to switch at this time
  • Reply 143 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jayhammy View Post

I"m truly amazed at the comments in these forums whenever an article like this comes out. The Jobs loyalists just can't seem to realize that this is good news for everyone. Jobs is feeling the pressure to build better devices. He can't just sit back on his laurels. The competition is too fierce.

Just accept the fact that Android is outselling the iPhone and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future BUT that this will relegate the iPhone not to "lesser" status but to a superior alternative.

Has anyone on here actually sat down and compared devices, such as:

Droid X to iP4

Incredible to iP4

Epic 4G to iP4

Well, I have, and those 3 Android devices, I'm sorry to say, blow the iP4 out of the water. Yes, the iP4 is GORGEOUS and the UI is simply beautiful, etc. But you get more out of the other devices by far--more power, more customization, more options, more more more.

Wait for the next iPhone to come out next year--it will set the bar for the next round of Android devices to jump over.

I could care less that Android is outselling the iphone. I have the iphone 4 and the ipad 16 gig with wifi and 3G. I'm in lala land.

And more more more means nothing nothing nothing.didn't you get the memo!
  • Reply 144 of 233
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

Put it this way.

with 100% market share out for the taking, lets say Apple has 30%. That is 30% all by themselves. meanwhile the remaining 70% is composed of lets say 20 different handset makers, each with like 20 different variations of cell phone. I think you'd agree that Apple is doing just fine. This is a numbers game. Period. Apple's margins in this cell phone business may be small but they are competing with no one in their margin.

HELLO!!!!!

That kind of post is wrong headed, if there were 100 phone manufactures Apple could have 2% of the market and be the biggest manufacturer of phones. It has to compete in the OS market as well.

( of course the OS stats should also include iOS on all devices, in particular iPods).
  • Reply 145 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

I could care less that Android is outselling the iphone. I have the iphone 4 and the ipad 16 gig with wifi and 3G. I'm in lala land.

And more more more means nothing nothing nothing.didn't you get the memo!

It means lots lots lots to me as a developer. In fact i dont think that the iPhone market is viable at < 10% given the low margins on phone software.
  • Reply 146 of 233
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

That kind of post is wrong headed, if there were 100 phone manufactures Apple could have 2% of the market and be the biggest manufacturer of phones. It has to compete in the OS market as well.

If that were the case then why isn?t Apple licensing their OS or simply giving it away to gain more of this precise marketshare at the cost of profit? Why is the App Store so successful despite Apple barely having any marketshare when they announced it. Why are others copying Apple at every turn when Symbian, WinMo, BB OS and others have had excessive OS marketshare over Apple for most of the past 3.5 years? Why would MS not be including support for their 15% WinMo 6.x and earlier in WinPh7 when marketshare is the only valid measure? Think people!
  • Reply 147 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

No.

Android may be the most popular smart phone OS in the US... but "more people" (57% vs 43%) are buying something else.

Thank you for playing, Asian Bob.

You can say the same thing against iOS if you add up all the numbers against it (73.8% vs. 26.2%). So you can also twist it to say that "more people" are buying something else other than iOS.

What's your point?
  • Reply 148 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleMacFan View Post

I'd be more than glad to help Apple "eclipse" Android-based smartphone shipments....

if they (Apple) would make it available to the OTHER cell phone providers- users (who are waiting for it) here in the States - besides AT& T, Verizon (and 17 countries in Europe)!

What 17 countries are they?
  • Reply 149 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

If that were the case then why isn’t Apple licensing their OS or simply giving it away to gain more of this precise marketshare at the cost of profit? Why is the App Store so successful despite Apple barely having any marketshare when they announced it. Why are others copying Apple at every turn when Symbian, WinMo, BB OS and others have had excessive OS marketshare over Apple for most of the past 3.5 years? Why would MS not be including support for their 15% WinMo 6.x and earlier in WinPh7 when marketshare is the only valid measure? Think people!

Apple isn't iicencing because they are a hardware and an OS provider. They were successful at the start because there really wasn't any other way for a normal home dev. to produce apps for the others, and the SDK;s weren't up to it. That isn't the case now. If Android is 50% of the market, then people will produce for that first, and Apple second. If at all.

And that kind of talk is defeatist. Apple can win the smartphone war by getting to 40% of the US market - since they have 28% of the market one one carrier ( which is 25% of the total US carrier market) that is not an impossibility.

( China is less important).

This game is between Android and Apple, for the mind of developers. Apple needs to be larger, or as large as Android. They can do it. They need to move quickly now.
  • Reply 150 of 233
    Quote:

Don't know but...

In Nokia's recent quarter they said their asp for 'smart phones' was $ 190.00.

Smart and dumb phones was $ 90.00

For Motorola, is is $216/handset for the most recent quarter.
  • Reply 151 of 233
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jayhammy View Post

Sixty different Android models? Surely, you jest.

More knee-jerk!

http://www.androphones.com/2010-android-phones.php

Quote:

the fact that the iPhone comes in many different models as well: iPHone, iPHone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4,

Really, what is the point of all this shit?

Quote:

plus all the different sizes, 8gb, 16gb, etc. etc.

Oh Jesus!
  • Reply 152 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by J.R. View Post

I as already stated in this thread once: It's not simply about cost at point of purchase, but cost after purchase. The number of free applications in the Android market versus... every other app store is heavily in favor of free apps. It's cheaper to own an Android phone with you pay so little for apps.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/07/05/distimo-june-2010/

That argument still doesn't definitively say that Android users have a lower level of disposable income. All it shows is that the developers for Android are more willing to release their apps for free. If the app is good, then there will be no shortage of people willing to pay for it. There are plenty of paid apps on the Market that have > 250,000 downloads.

Another thing to wonder about that link is whether or not it includes in-app purchases. There are lots of apps that are listed as free in the Market, but includes ads and if you donate to the developer through a PayPal link from within the app, it removes the ad. This has the same effect as just purchasing the app up-front.
  • Reply 153 of 233
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    The trend of conveniently forgetting that there are other iOS devices out their?

iPads, iPod Touch's (Apple TV's in future?), all ready and able to run mostly the same Apps.

Watch Windows Mobile 7 start eating into Androids share.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

If this trend continues, it is likely that many devs will switch from iOS to Android. It seems that Android will swamp iOS soon.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

1Instead, I think that the majority of people people buy Android phones because they like them the best, all things considered.

People who buy Android phones aren't generally "people people", they are more basement dwelling, tinkering people.
  • Reply 154 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

People who buy Android phones aren't generally "people people", they are more basement dwelling, tinkering people.

And people that buy iDevices aren't really people either. They're more shells that have Apple mind control devices operating for a brain.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kViAnfQn5c8

See! I can make overly false generalizations too!
  • Reply 155 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

That argument still doesn't definitively say that Android users have a lower level of disposable income. All it shows is that the developers for Android are more willing to release their apps for free. If the app is good, then there will be no shortage of people willing to pay for it. There are plenty of paid apps on the Market that have > 250,000 downloads.

Another thing to wonder about that link is whether or not it includes in-app purchases. There are lots of apps that are listed as free in the Market, but includes ads and if you donate to the developer through a PayPal link from within the app, it removes the ad. This has the same effect as just purchasing the app up-front.

Apple released it's figures for app sales. Android? How many sales?

Still though Apple cant rest on this.
  • Reply 156 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Apple isn't iicencing because they are a hardware and an OS provider. They were successful at the start because there really wasn't any other way for a normal home dev. to produce apps for the others, and the SDK;s weren't up to it. That isn't the case now. If Android is 50% of the market, then people will produce for that first, and Apple second. If at all.

But you and others are claiming that Apple is losing some imagined race because they aren?t allowing their OS to run on any and all HW. The solution, if this really was something Apple cares about, is to allow iOS to run on any and all HW. The fact they aren?t means you are absolutely and 100% wrong about your assertion that marketshare is the primary goal over profit.

Quote:

And that kind of talk is defeatist. Apple can win the smartphone war by getting to 40% of the US market - since they have 28% of the market one one carrier ( which is 25% of the total US carrier market) that is not an impossibility.

It?s silly to talk about some war that is between Apple (a company) or the iPhone (a full HW product) and Android (an OS foundation).

The chances of Apple getting 40% of the market is irrelevant to Apple getting more profit YoY in a market. Exhibit A: Apple was losing marketshare when Atom CPUs made cheap netbooks possible yet Apple didn?t release a netbook, instead they continued to dominate and increase their profits in the ?PC? market and eventually released a tablet that isn?t even counted with ?PC? sales.

Again, so much for your theory that marketshare, not profit, is the primary focus for companies.

Quote:

( China is less important).

1) Who mentioned China? I didn?t mention China.

2) China will be a very important market.

Quote:

This game is between Android and Apple, for the mind of developers. Apple needs to be larger, or as large as Android. They can do it. They need to move quickly now.

The ?game? is trying to make a maximum net yield. There is no Android v Apple (again, a freely distributed foundational mobile OS v. a CE company), it?s about trying to make the most profit possible. That is what smart devs are looking for.
  • Reply 157 of 233
    I wont develop for Android in a million years. I would rather stab myself in the eye.
  • Reply 158 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I wont develop for Android in a million years. I would rather stab myself in the eye.

A choice between the two, I say develop for Android. While Android likely won?t make you money, stabbing yourself in the eye likely will cost you money. Of course, if you live in a country that covers your health care, then go for it.
  • Reply 159 of 233
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Rubbish!

As of today.

Windows Phone 7: 0% and 0%

Google Android : 43% and 25% (US and Worldwide)

However well Microsoft performs in mobile, and whatever problems might befall Android that lead is going to take more than a couple of years to disappear.

Bigger share of new phones being sold, I meant. Not bigger overall. Though bigger overall will happen. With all that said Google will still do fine and Apple will do better than both of them, monetarily-speaking.
  • Reply 160 of 233
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

Not sure what your point is.