• Reply 161 of 233
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jayhammy View Post

Has anyone on here actually sat down and compared devices, such as:

Droid X to iP4

Incredible to iP4

Epic 4G to iP4

Well, I have, and those 3 Android devices, I'm sorry to say, blow the iP4 out of the water. Yes, the iP4 is GORGEOUS and the UI is simply beautiful, etc. But you get more out of the other devices by far--more power, more customization, more options, more more more.

You don't get it.

With the iPhone you buy the case you like, download the apps you like, arrange them on the screen in the way you like and you add the wallpaper you like. After that Apple handles the rest.

That's the iPhone. For better or for worse that's the whole point of the iPhone - like a BMW, you trust that BMW does its part well. You sacrifice total customizability for build, simplicity and the whole it-just-works thing.
  • Reply 162 of 233
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

But you and others are claiming that Apple is losing some imagined race because they aren’t allowing their OS to run on any and all HW. The solution, if this really was something Apple cares about, is to allow iOS to run on any and all HW. The fact they aren’t means you are absolutely and 100% wrong about your assertion that marketshare is the primary goal over profit.

I didnt mention anything about other hardware - you did. The question that is pertinent now is that they claw back market share from Android by going muti-carrier.

Quote:

It’s silly to talk about some war that is between Apple (a company) or the iPhone (a full HW product) and Android (an OS foundation).

So what we are talking about instead is an OS war between iOs and Android, which is important to me a s developer. I want to develop for iOS ( only) but I can justify that if Android is the largest market.

Quote:

The chances of Apple getting 40% of the market is irrelevant to Apple getting more profit YoY in a market. Exhibit A: Apple was losing marketshare when Atom CPUs made cheap netbooks possible yet Apple didn’t release a netbook, instead they continued to dominate and increase their profits in the ‘PC’ market and eventually released a tablet that isn’t even counted with ‘PC’ sales.

I dont care about their profit. I care about my profit and employability as an iOS developer.

Quote:

Again, so much for your theory that marketshare, not profit, is the primary focus for companies.

Jobs talks about market share all the time. He talks up activations all the time. and dismisses ( or questions) Android's activations. He seems to care.

Quote:

1) Who mentioned China? I didn’t mention China.

2) China will be a very important market.

I mentioned China. Its not so important to devs as Chinese app downloaders tend not to purchase. So Android being big there is less of a concern to me: the US is a concern.

Quote:

it’s about trying to make the most profit possible. That is what smart devs are looking for.

Smart devs are not concerned about Apple's profit but their own. If it becomes more profitable to develop for Android then devs will do that, even if Apple is making Big Profits on a declining market share, something which they did in the 1990's on their way to obscurity until Jobs came back.
  • Reply 163 of 233
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

What's your point?

My point is ... what's steve-troll_whatever's point?
  • Reply 164 of 233
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

I didnt mention anything about other hardware - you did.

You did! I even pointed it out several times. You keep comparing a company (Apple) or a handset (iPhone) to an OS (Android). You are the one who is choosing not to compare like things. You won?t compare similar OS business models to each other. You are the one that keeps saying that marketshare is more important than profit.
  • Reply 165 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Good. Android won. I hope the trolls will leave this site now. We can go back to actually useful discussions. Also, Apple won't have to take huge risks to be the "biggest" in smartphone land, let Android be the crappy Windows of smart phones. And good bl**dy luck to all the developers actually trying to make useful apps for Android, let alone make money from it.

As always you sound pathetic.
  • Reply 166 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

You did! I even pointed it out several times. You keep comparing a company (Apple) or a handset (iPhone) to an OS (Android). You are the one who is choosing not to compare like things. You won’t compare similar OS business models to each other. You are the one that keeps saying that marketshare is more important than profit.

No what I am comparing is OS vs OS. I keep saying that. I dont care about Apple's profit. I have no shares. I care about my job as an iOS developer. I say that and you come back with the same boilerplate: You are the one that keeps saying that marketshare is more important than profit. Yes, it is. For everybody else, that is what matters.

For the record Apple was the largest single manufacturer of PCs in the world as it's OS market share declined. What matters is OS share. Thats what this report is about, what we are talking about. Only you want to compare a handset with an OS.

The only argument in your favour is that iOS on the iPod and iPhone should both be included in this metric, but comparing OS metrics is valid. Same with Symbian which is, like iOS, a proprietary OS. Same with the BlackBerry OS.

This is an OS race; some OSes are open, some are licensed, some are proprietary.

The competition is still on the OS. Thats what matters to me, and all developers, and it is what most of the internet will judge Apple on.
  • Reply 167 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

As always you sound pathetic.

Some Apple fans are happy in the Ghetto.
  • Reply 168 of 233
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

Which standards are you talking about?

What standards did M$ have in the computer world that are tighter than Google's looser standards?

What standards?

Control over the OS itself? It's not like Dell could ship a hacked up version of Windows and still call it Windows.

Nah, that's pretty minor difference...
  • Reply 169 of 233
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

This game is between Android and Apple, for the mind of developers. Apple needs to be larger, or as large as Android. They can do it. They need to move quickly now.

Counting out Microsoft isn't particularly wise. They have their epic failures but look at what they did to Sony. I think that WP7 looks like a great platform to develop for and if I can convince management I'm switching from Android to WP7. Thus far Android has been an annoyance to develop on. Not eyeball gouging bad like Java ME or Blackberry but iOS is, as far as I can tell, much nicer.

And I know C# as well as Java so I'm quite ready to jump ship...
  • Reply 170 of 233
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Windows had less fragmentation. You had mainly Windows 3.1, 95, 98, 2000, XP, Vista, 7.

So that's about 7 versions over, what, 2 decades? How many Android versions do we have in the space of a few years?

I don't think it is too much relevant. Most people I know don't upgrade their smartphone OS (unless there is major bug they can't live with); they just use it for 2 years and replace it with new model.

I think people make mistake by thinking average smart phone user is as passionate about mobile technology as people in this forum are. To my knowledge, they are not. As long as they can check on their Facebook account, read emails, do quick web browsing and keep calendar and contact tidy, majority do not care about new version of phone OS out there.

I haven't done proper count, but out of my head - 20 - 30% of smartphone users I know basically do not sync them with their computers at all, save for initial music files transfers etc. Some of them are not even aware there are OS updates for their phones. Heck, some of them don't know there is OS in their phone.
  • Reply 171 of 233
    Quote:

No what I am comparing is OS vs OS. I keep saying that.

And yet you aren’t…
    asdasd wrote: "This game is between Android and Apple Apple needs to be larger, or as large as Android."

Quote:

I dont care about Apple's profit. I have no shares. I care about my job as an iOS developer. I say that and you come back with the same boilerplate: You are the one that keeps saying that marketshare is more important than profit. Yes, it is. For everybody else, that is what matters.

Apple’s profit is of Apple’s concern. Acme App Developer’s profit is of Acme App developer’s concern. YET AGAIN, anyone with half a brain will create a product that can yield them the most money, not for the one that has the largest marketshare.

If Company A has 99% of a market would you produce for that market? You would say yes, of course, but the smart person would ask questions like: How big the market? What are the projected growth rate of that market? What is the likelihood of selling my product in that market? What costs and timeframes are associated with bringing my product to market?

Quote:

For the record Apple was the largest single manufacturer of PCs in the world as it's OS market share declined. What matters is OS share. Thats what this report is about, what we are talking about. Only you want to compare a handset with an OS.

No it doesn’t. I’m trying to get you to see that anyone with a smidgen of business sense will look at the capability to make money, not just one floating metric that needs a dozen qualifiers before it starts to become relevant.

No I’m not. I’m trying to get you to compare like things. Apple ≠ iOS. Apple ≠ iPhone. Apple ≠ everything ever created since the beginning of time sans Android OS.

Quote:

The only argument in your favour is that iOS on the iPod and iPhone should both be included in this metric, but comparing OS metrics is valid. Same with Symbian which is, like iOS, a proprietary OS. Same with the BlackBerry OS.

You’re a mobile developer and you don’t know that Symbian is open source? sigh… It looks like I feel for some major troll bait today. And hear I thought you were just an idiot.
  • Reply 172 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nht View Post

Counting out Microsoft isn't particularly wise. They have their epic failures but look at what they did to Sony. I think that WP7 looks like a great platform to develop for and if I can convince management I'm switching from Android to WP7. Thus far Android has been an annoyance to develop on. Not eyeball gouging bad like Java ME or Blackberry but iOS is, as far as I can tell, much nicer.

And I know C# as well as Java so I'm quite ready to jump ship...

Sorry, true. And I would be much happier using C# than Java and Android.
  • Reply 173 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jayhammy View Post

Has anyone on here actually sat down and compared devices, such as:

Droid X to iP4

Incredible to iP4

Epic 4G to iP4

Well, I have, and those 3 Android devices, I'm sorry to say, blow the iP4 out of the water. Yes, the iP4 is GORGEOUS and the UI is simply beautiful, etc. But you get more out of the other devices by far--more power, more customization, more options, more more more.

Wait for the next iPhone to come out next year--it will set the bar for the next round of Android devices to jump over.

Even if those other phones offer "more power" or customization, I don't care. My iPhone 4 does what I want, when I want it to. It's integration with my Macs and iPads ensures that I won't look at alternatives, unless there is some killer feature that the iPhone doesn't have. So far, that hasn't happened.

When I was younger, I liked messing around customizing computers and cars. Now I prefer to enjoy using those devices instead of working on them.

If someone likes customizing their phone, and feels limited by the iPhone, then Androids are a good fit. Others prefer the iPhones ease of use, and that's best for them.
  • Reply 174 of 233
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I haven't read all the posts in this thread so forgive me if it has already been done. Have the trolls started the Apple Death Spiral Clock yet? How long has Apple got before it dies a horrible death?
  • Reply 175 of 233
    Quote:

If Company A has 99% of a market would you produce for that market? You would say yes, of course, but the smart person would ask questions like: How big the market? What are the projected growth rate of that market? What is the likelihood of selling my product in that market? What costs and timeframes are associated with bringing my product to market?

Indeed and the costs for iOs are larger - costs $90 a year. If Android is the bigger market I would develop for it. Or the people who employ me would. Or I would do something else, since I have never used Java commercially.

Quote:

No it doesn’t. I’m trying to get you to see that anyone with a smidgen of business sense will look at the capability to make money, not just one floating metric that needs a dozen qualifiers before it starts to become relevant.

Anyone with a smidgen of business sense develops for the larger platform first, which is why I am not playing Civ 5 until Christmas. And, then, people who like getting software early buy the machines they can get software early on. ( In many ways I cant really believe I am having a debate about this)

Quote:

No I’m not. I’m trying to get you to compare like things. Apple ≠ iOS. Apple ≠ iPhone. Apple ≠ everything ever created since the beginning of time sans Android OS.

What I am comparing is OS vs OS which is a totally valid comparison. It is also WHAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT. You are muddying the issue by wanting to compare Apple ( a company) with Android ( an OS) and then accuse everybody else of doing exactly that. You are doing it, not us.

Quote:

You’re a mobile developer and you don’t know that Symbian is open source? sigh… It looks like I feel for some major troll bait today. And hear I thought you were just an idiot.

I am an iOS developer, I dont develop for Symbian and never will.I used to develop for the Mac commercially ( out of college where I did objective C) but had to give that up for C# ( which is ok) as there was not enough work. See the problem?

( Not that this is relevant to my major point anyway).

The only troller here is you, because you are arguing a loser's position, the very same argument that Apple fans made in 1993 as their market share collapsed but APple was making vast profits. Later the profit collapsed because developers fled, and because the developers fled, the consumers fled some more. And even Steve Jobs has criticised that, in retropspect.

So to put is simply - and I wont be aswering posts by you again - MARKET SHARE MATTERS A LOT.
  • Reply 176 of 233
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

I haven't read all the posts in this thread so forgive me if it has already been done. Have the trolls started the Apple Death Spiral Clock yet? How long has Apple got before it dies a horrible death?

It doesnt matter because market share doesnt matter, apparently.
  • Reply 177 of 233
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Originally Posted by anotherperson

I believe that people who buy Android phones instead of iPhones overwhelmingly do so for only two reasons:

1. In the USA, they want to use Verizon instead of AT&T

2. They can't afford an iPhone and, generally speaking, have a very small amount of disposable income.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Well that's a very stupid generalization you made. All the high-end Android devices sell for the same contract price as the iPhone 4 and with more or less the exact same plan prices too.

Actually AsianBob your statement is the stupid one. When you consider there are many price points on Android phones, including at the bottom which is free, they are not the same price point. Then we have a huge number of them being given away for free even at the top end in the ridiculous by one get one free promotions. So before you start calling others stupid - trying getting an education on the subject at hand.
  • Reply 178 of 233
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Steve-J View Post

Which standards are you talking about?

What standards did M$ have in the computer world that are tighter than Google's looser standards?

What standards?

UI look? Tell me how some of the core apps shipping with Windows have a different UI on a Dell compared to an HP?
  • Reply 179 of 233
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

The competition is still on the OS. Thats what matters to me, and all developers, and it is what most of the internet will judge Apple on.

Not the smart developers.

Smart developers ask "which OS can I make the most money on?" or (if they're large enough) "can I make enough money on BOTH platforms to justify the extra development cost?"

Specifically, they have to look at the number of versions and how much work is involved in updating the app, as well. Do the multiple versions of Android take more work to support than the multiple versions of iOS? I don't know the answer, but a smart developer would make sure to learn before jumping in.

What you seem to be ignoring (repeatedly) is that developers don't make money based on the number of handsets. They make money based on how many people buy their app, how much they pay for it, and what it costs to develop and support the app.

I think it's funny that the Android fans whine about iOS accounting for 94% of online mobile phone software sales when they're trying to get Apple targeted as a monopoly, but when it comes to defending AndroidOS, they claim that Android OS is where developers should be looking - because of the greater number of handsets.

Can you say 'hypocrite'?
  • Reply 180 of 233
    jragosta, you quoted the wrong poster.