Apple changes multitasking bar, MobileMe login in iOS 4.2 GM; asks for iOS 4.2 apps from developers

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Subtle changes to iOS 4.2 in the Golden Master released to developers Monday include the addition of volume controls and an AirPlay button to the multitasking bar and an option to access MobileMe with an Apple ID. Meanwhile, developers can now submit their iOS 4.2 apps to Apple for review.

Apple seeded the Golden Master version of its iOS 4.2 software to developers Monday, bringing the update one step closer to public release. iOS 4.2, which Chief Executive Steve Jobs demoed in September, contains several new features, including AirPlay wireless media streaming and AirPrint wireless printing. At that time, Jobs announced that iOS 4.2 would be released in November; Apple appears to be on schedule, as the Golden Master release is usually the final version before release.

The time between a Golden Master release and public release for versions of iOS 4 has ranged from 1-2 weeks. The GM candidate of iOS 4.0 was seeded on June 7 with the public release coming two weeks later on June 21, while the GM of iOS 4.1 was released to developers a week before the Sept. 8 release date.

According to MacRumors, the multi-tasking bar in iOS 4.2 now includes a volume slider and the expected AirPlay button, in addition to the pre-existing orientation lock button, playback controls, brightness slider, and iPod icon.

Screenshot by Dean Ostetto

Another change came in the switch from a MobileMe login to an Apple ID login for the MobileMe account setup settings in iOS 4.2. Given that MobileMe doesn't currently accept Apple ID logins, the change prompted speculation that Apple could allow iOS users access to some of MobileMe's features, although the change might only indicate that Apple is trying to link Apple IDs with MobileMe accounts.

In preparation for the release of iOS 4.2, Apple posted a message to its official developer site Monday, notifying developers that they can now "build, test, and compile [their] apps using the iOS SDK 4.2 GM seed, then submit them for review so they can be ready when iOS 4.2 is available to iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch users."

Previously, developers could only submit apps for the current version of iOS. The release of iOS 4.2 is particularly noteworthy, as it will be the first time that the iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad will concurrently run the same version of iOS and marks the iPad's transition to iOS 4.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    eagerly waiting to update my iPhone 4 and iPad to 4.2...
  • Reply 2 of 47
    hey thats my iPad screenshot you got from Mac Rumors... how about some photo cred \
  • Reply 3 of 47
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I'm wondering if this will finally allow all hi rez iPhone apps to finally appear on my iPad in 960x640 rather than the 480x340 that they still appear in now.
  • Reply 4 of 47
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    It is good that Apple released it today. I've submitted my iPad app Thursday using 3.2.1 SDK. I removed it from the queue tonight and recompile it using 4.2 SDK. This way users will have the fast app switching feature.
  • Reply 5 of 47
    mgl323mgl323 Posts: 247member
    Only a couple more weeks left till the iOS 4.2 update! hope they release by next week.
  • Reply 6 of 47
    Will this fix the DST alarm bug?
  • Reply 7 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CrunchinJelly View Post

Will this fix the DST alarm bug?

Yes, as reported a couple of weeks ago.
  • Reply 8 of 47
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    • The DST bug is fixed.

• New SMS tones added (would have been better if you could add your own custom ones if you ask me)

• Voice memos has a new icon

• Ability to enable ringer/alert tone volume changes with the hardware buttons

• Reply 9 of 47
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I've always used my same user and pass for MobileMe (and also since .Mac and iTools days) and my Apple ID, I wasn't even aware this was unusual.
  • Reply 10 of 47
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    One can only hope.

As to the developers out there are we faster or slower on iPhone, esPecially older iPhones? I suppose that is a good question for iPad owners too. I'm really hoping Apple has removed some of the performance issues from the previous release so we can milk a little more life from our devices.
  • Reply 11 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I've always used my same user and pass for MobileMe (and also since .Mac and iTools days) and my Apple ID, I wasn't even aware this was unusual.

The point is that this appears to be account unification and consolidation, sort of like linking your YouTube account to your Google account. Moving to a single sign-in is worth noting.
  • Reply 12 of 47
    Will this unbreak the iPhone 4.1, iPad 3.2.2 jailbreak?
  • Reply 13 of 47
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

Will this unbreak the iPhone 4.1, iPad 3.2.2 jailbreak?

If i had to put money on it, i would say definitely.
  • Reply 14 of 47
    eh270eh270 Posts: 60member
    Ugh, when i saw 'update to multitasking bar' i was so hoping they added a "quit all applications" button/feature.
  • Reply 15 of 47
    I can't wait until OS 4.2 comes out because it's likely that means there will finally be grey market Apple TVs in Hong Kong.
  • Reply 16 of 47
    Quote:

Me too
  • Reply 17 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eh270 View Post

Ugh, when i saw 'update to multitasking bar' i was so hoping they added a "quit all applications" button/feature.

Why? Most applications are not actually running in the background. Only audio playback, GPS, or VoIP apps are allowed to keep a process "running" continuously. Everything else is essentially in a frozen state as soon as you switch out of it (or shortly thereafter).
  • Reply 18 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deanostetto View Post

hey thats my iPad screenshot you got from Mac Rumors... how about some photo cred \

Wouldn't be bragging about that as 4.2 is still under NDA
  • Reply 19 of 47
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nothlit View Post

Why? Most applications are not actually running in the background. Only audio playback, GPS, or VoIP apps are allowed to keep a process "running" continuously. Everything else is essentially in a frozen state as soon as you switch out of it (or shortly thereafter).

To continue on with your point in an attempt to make it even more clear? The apps you see in Fast App Switching are not necessarily running in the background. These are just the last apps you had active on your screen listed in descending chronological order from left to right.
  • Reply 20 of 47
    Quote:

No, but what is unusual (or at least odd) is the fact that I tried to update my Apple ID to my MobileMe address and was unable to. Apparently this is not allowed despite the assertion in this article that Apple is trying to somehow merge these.

I was able to go to http://myinfo.apple.com/ and modify my Apple ID to be a simple login name. It's odd now seeing me logged into iTunes using a login name that does not include an email address...