Netbook demand sinks as 80% of tablet buyers want Apple's iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A new survey has found that consumer demand for low-cost, low-power netbooks remains low, as touchscreen tablets continue to gain popularity. And Apple's iPad still dominates mindshare, even as competitors like Samsung and Research in Motion tout their own tablets.

The results of the October survey of 3,108 customers were released Tuesday by ChangeWave. Respondents were asked about devices they plan to buy in the next 90 days, and the results show that just 14 percent of laptop buyers are eyeing a netbook, a full 10 points below the peak of netbooks in June 2009.

"The decline of netbooks is attributable to a combination of factors including the end of the recession and the mounting penetration of tablet computers -- notably the Apple iPad," wrote Paul Carton, vice president of research with ChangeWave. "Moreover, in a close-up look at tablet demand trends for the holidays, our ChangeWave survey finds continuing momentum for the iPad."

Netbooks have been on the decline in 2010, as PC makers have reduced shipments since the iPad launched in the U.S. April. In the last quarter, Apple sold 4.19 million iPads, and the company has ramped up distribution for the upcoming holiday buying season.

The survey found that despite a slew of announcements from competitors, consumer interest in the iPad remains far above its peers. Of those polled,80 percent said they are most likely to purchase an iPad, while 8 percent opted for RIM's Playbook, and 3 percent prefer the Samsung Galaxy Tab.

The Playbook is expected to launch in early 2011, while the Galaxy Tab debuts this month in the U.S. Both will sport a 7-inch screen smaller than the 9.7-inch multi-touch display on Apple's iPad.

Those will also have to overcome the overwhelming satisfaction iPad owners have expressed with their purchase. Nearly three-quarters -- 72 percent -- of iPad owners polled by ChangeWave categorized themselves as "very satisfied" with the iPad, while another 23 percent said they are "somewhat satisfied." Just 1 percent labeled themselves as "somewhat unsatisfied" with the iPad.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 85
    donlphidonlphi Posts: 214member
    and the other 20% want an 11" MacBook Air
  • Reply 2 of 85
    elbelb Posts: 6member
    ""Those will also have to overcome the overwhelming satisfaction iPad owners have expressed with their purchase. Nearly two-thirds -- 72 percent --..."

Two thirds is 66.66 percent- well below 72%. I think you meant to write "nearly three-quarters", no?
  • Reply 3 of 85
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Although I'm sure the iPad is a factor I wouldn't descirbe it as the main factor. Considering that many consumers have already bought netbooks and found them lacking in many areas has probably had a bigger effect.

If you spend £250 on a netbook and discover that it's a piece of shit you aren't likely to run back out there and buy another one in a hurry, instead you'd console yourself with the old "you get what you pay for" mentality and look for a proper notebook or perhaps a new iPad.
  • Reply 4 of 85
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 5 of 85
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

and the other 20% want an 11" MacBook Air

I almost split my drink dude . very funny.

The ipad is know in over 6000 locations and smaller independent resellers will also get the ipad either direct or thru ATT. So in 2 yrs 20.000. usa locations and 4,000 canadian bacons shops will also be selling or bundling data time .

DATA TIME is the next monster out their and the race to the pricing bottom will start with sprint.

Apple sits back and lets the market place tell it what it wants .

I do see a new model having a usb port and older models keeping its no port policy.

Apple's data farm is over filled already . Both of them in SC.

So apple will have grow 5 or 6 new quad farms soon enough. Bringing data charges way down and making apple the guard wall against over pricing for data .5$ a gig a month is real bad .

Someone said sell your aapl . I waited 4 weeks and it went up 120 points . I ask him well well dude whats up and he said he will re buy soon . STUPID

hold all you aapl as gold . a company split can give you triple shares

and a stock split of 5 for every 2 you hold ill also bode well

and apple at some point may just buy back 10bn $ to options for its own people .

hold you stock

rant over

• Reply 6 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Other tables are shipping already? There's so few that 80% seems kinda low.

This is what people want to buy. Not what they are buying.
  • Reply 7 of 85
    Hey, I like my Samsung netbook. It works great as a stand-alone music server for my home stereo, running a Logitech Squeezebox. Nice little jukebox. If the iPad came with 128Gb+ of memory, I'd consider it, but I can't fit my 90Gb of .flac/.m4a files on any current iPads. Oh, and the Sammy cost only $280.
  • Reply 8 of 85
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

Hey, I like my Samsung netbook. It works great as a stand-alone music server for my home stereo, running a Logitech Squeezebox. Nice little jukebox. If the iPad came with 128Gb+ of memory, I'd consider it, but I can't fit my 90Gb of .flac/.m4a files on any current iPads. Oh, and the Sammy cost only $280.

Sounds like it worked out very well for you. You're proof that the iPad will never fully overtake netbook sales, only take away the customers that would be better with an ipad.
  • Reply 9 of 85
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    Quote:

good use for a netbook, I'll have to start watching craigslist.
  • Reply 10 of 85
    Quote:

You do realize that you can stream audio and video over WiFi and 3G from your home (or any computer) to your iPad.

See the StreamToMe app & its personal computer companion ServeToMe.

We, routinely, stream home movies of soccer highlights to show others during practices -- in the middle of a park. There are 4 separate Macs running ServeToMe so we have a selection of 10,000 songs and 800 videos.

In addition, these Macs each run a VideoCam server (iCam/iCamServe) when we're out and about -- so we can monitor what's going on at home. Those damn cats keep triggering alerts (push notifications) as they move about!

The only time you really need to store AV content on your iPad is for long car trips, etc. where WiFi is not readily available and 3G data use would be too expensive.

• Reply 11 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post

This is what people want to buy. Not what they are buying.

It's still best to take these kind of numbers with a huge grain of salt though.

There is another report out this morning that the iPad has captured 95% of the tablet market world-wide, with Android taking up 2% to 3% in "second place" even though no Android tablets have really shipped.

These numbers usually come from individual analysts working alone with a calculator and a bunch of data. They are rarely accurate beyond the general trend they indicate and should be considered "guestimates."
  • Reply 12 of 85
    Interesting. I always wondered why Apple seemed to advertize video on the iPad. I thought to myself, "you can't play a DVD on it......and who's going to somehow load a movie onto their computer, sync the iPad (if it'll fit in the meager memory), and then watch it?"

The streaming from a server of some sort makes more sense.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

You do realize that you can stream audio and video over WiFi and 3G from your home (or any computer) to your iPad.

See the StreamToMe app & its personal computer companion ServeToMe.

We, routinely, stream home movies of soccer highlights to show others during practices -- in the middle of a park. There are 4 separate Macs running ServeToMe so we have a selection of 10,000 songs and 800 videos.

In addition, these Macs each run a VideoCam server (iCam/iCamServe) when we're out and about -- so we can monitor what's going on at home. Those damn cats keep triggering alerts (push notifications) as they move about!

The only time you really need to store AV content on your iPad is for long car trips, etc. where WiFi is not readily available and 3G data use would be too expensive.

• Reply 13 of 85
    There isn't really anything in the original article that is the basis for this AI article to support any connection between iPad sales (and/or future tablet sales generally) and declining netbook sales. Maybe they have some data that support or suggest a connection, but they certainly did not present it and make the case for it.

Nevertheless, it is what I think ought to be expected. Some other numbers presented in the original article -- desktop sales up 1%, laptop sales flat -- also hint at how the personal computer market is likely to shake out over the next few years:

* Laptop sales have quite likely peaked, or very nearly peaked.

* Desktop sales have, or have nearly bottomed out.

* The fortunes of the laptop and desktop segments are poised to reverse.

* Tablets will displace netbooks for mobile computing...

* ...Except for very demanding users, who will turn to ultralight full laptops like the MBA.

* Smartphones will continue on their current trajectory independent of these trends.

(

* Netbooks may retain a toehold as bargain basement price computers when cost is the only important factor to a consumer.

* Traditional laptops will likely retain a slightly larger toehold for circumstances where desktop functionality is required, but space is at a premium -- e.g., students living in dorms.

)
  • Reply 14 of 85
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Interesting. I always wondered why Apple seemed to advertize video on the iPad. I thought to myself, "you can't play a DVD on it......and who's going to somehow load a movie onto their computer, sync the iPad (if it'll fit in the meager memory), and then watch it?"

The streaming from a server of some sort makes more sense.

Note, that is still playing video on the iPad, just like people have been doing on their iPhones and iPods for years. Outside of reading watching video is probably the 2nd most common usage for my iPad.
  • Reply 15 of 85
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

There isn't really anything in the original article that is the basis for this AI article to support any connection between iPad sales (and/or future tablet sales generally) and declining netbook sales. Maybe they have some data that support or suggest a connection, but they certainly did not present it and make the case for it.

I thought they linked to articles of others stating that the iPad has limited netbook sales this year.

Quote:

Nevertheless, it is what I think ought to be expected. Some other numbers presented in the original article -- desktop sales up 1%, laptop sales flat -- also hint at how the personal computer market is likely to shake out over the next few years:

That?s interesting. Desktop sales have been declining and notebook sales have been on the rise. I wonder if the iPad is showing it?s first signs of people buying it over a notebook and possibly the anecdotal trend of people buying a desktop as their stationary computing needs and iPad for their satellite computing needs, instead of having a single notebook for all computing needs.
  • Reply 16 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by saarek View Post

Although I'm sure the iPad is a factor I wouldn't descirbe it as the main factor. Considering that many consumers have already bought netbooks and found them lacking in many areas has probably had a bigger effect.

If you spend £250 on a netbook and discover that it's a piece of **** you aren't likely to run back out there and buy another one in a hurry, instead you'd console yourself with the old "you get what you pay for" mentality and look for a proper notebook or perhaps a new iPad.

I think also the tiny laptop doesn't actually appeal to as many people as they thought, most everyone finds the screen & keyboard too cramped for everyday use. A touch interface doesn't suffer same draw backs, in fact it has a sort of magic about it that you can manipulate the device with your finger.

Apple was smart not to fall into the netbook craze, that's all it was & it is passing quickly. The 11" MBAir will sell good but probably won't ever exceed the iPad, it's kind of a niche device that appeals to specific exec types.
  • Reply 17 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Other tables are shipping already? There's so few that 80% seems kinda low.

I don't know if that is low or not. But it struck me that most of the listed alternatives are not available for sale, nor are they ever advertised. The RIM number I found surprisingly high. I guess their PR is effective.
  • Reply 18 of 85
    Quote:

Have you seen the tiny boxes HP makes to do that? They are basically drive bays and IO for storing and serving media. I've only glanced at them.
  • Reply 19 of 85
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I too am skeptical that netbook sales are being heavily influenced by iPad sales.

Certainly it is the storyline that many news outlets have been parroting. But as of yet I haven't seen any actual evidence that bears this out. Some people been repeating the story and pointing in a big circle as the supporting evidence.

It seems more likely that the recession and changing computing needs are the true cause. iPads probably have some influence. But it seems that the influence is being blown way out of perspective simply because the iPad is fun to talk about.
  • Reply 20 of 85
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

That is very, very cool.